• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Entertainment Planning & Development, they're the successor to Nintendo EAD, Entertainment Analysis & Development.
Both EAD AND SPD, Software Planning & Development.

Get it right.

It could be something that's not on this list entirely. I mean, let's be reasonable, this poll's ballot pool is mostly just composed of people who read this thread, that's less than 0.0001% of the people who play this game.
I asked about 15 gaming groups on Facebook (most of which weren't Smash based), on a video on my YouTube channel, and here on Smashboards.

And even then that doesn't scratch the surface of gamers, Smash fans, or anyone else.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to Felicia from Fates I could see her playing as a maid version of Sheik with her little daggers being the major focus on top of different variations of them, like the fire ones.
I'm thinking a dagger based moveset, along with maybe a healing move(like Ivysaur) that can heal you a little but heals teammates by a greater amount. As for daggers: Health Steal, Fire/Poison(like pikmin), increased damage dagger, etc. Then some slappy combo starter attacks, possibly Dash Attack and/or Tilts.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'm thinking a dagger based moveset, along with maybe a healing move(like Ivysaur) that can heal you a little but heals teammates by a greater amount. As for daggers: Health Steal, Fire/Poison(like pikmin), increased damage dagger, etc. Then some slappy combo starter attacks, possibly Dash Attack and/or Tilts.
She should definitely have ice powers in there somewhere. I'd say her moveset should be quick but weak dagger attacks, using staves and ice magic to constrict movement and weaken enemies. Enfeeble and Freeze are both good choices for staff specials, with Rescue being a typical warping recovery. Dash attack should definitely be her crit spin animation. FS is her watching the opponent burn FS could be her summoning a stage-wide blizzard that deals constant no-knockback damage and pushes them ever so slightly in the direction Felicia was facing when she used the FS.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
She should definitely have ice powers in there somewhere. I'd say her moveset should be quick but weak dagger attacks, using staves and ice magic to constrict movement and weaken enemies. Enfeeble and Freeze are both good choices for staff specials, with Rescue being a typical warping recovery. Dash attack should definitely be her crit spin animation. FS is her watching the opponent burn FS could be her summoning a stage-wide blizzard that deals constant no-knockback damage and pushes them ever so slightly in the direction Felicia was facing when she used the FS.
Her moveset has so much potential, hopefully one of the users on this thread is secretly Sakurai looking for character ideas. :laugh:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And the winner was Buzzwole, of course since its too swole to ignore. The other Ultra Beasts weren't as popular, but Nihilego at least was superior than Pheromosa and Blacephalon respectively.

Next up is something that may be seen in the realm of unlikeness, but still would be interesting to see what is the most wanted F-Zero character. Your choices are Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, Pico, and Jody Summer.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Good luck.

Do you want to bring back everyone's PTSD?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Random thought, given how long it has been since Super Mario RPG came out, Geno could be the next game's obligatory somewhat obscure retro character. Just depends on how on board SE is.

D

Deleted member

If Geno is considered Retro I see no reason why K. Rool wouldn't be as well.

\(°|°)/

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

\(°|°)/
Depends if you count Little Mac as retro in 4 or not.

King K. Rool had non-cameo roles in DK games right up until the Retro games. I think the last one was Super Mario Sluggers IIRC.

D

Deleted member

I think a lot of characters that people chose have "move-set" potential. Even Chrom who people would think would be a clone of Ike has good move-set potential. Creativity is a lot larger than you guys think for making move-sets, so I think that almost every character that is requested to be added into Smash for Switch has move-set potential.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To note, retro has two meanings; being based on a retro design(see: Pac-Man, Little Mac), and lacking any recent new game appearances(of their sreies) from a retro game(see: Duck Hunt, Pit). In the case of Smash, when Sakurai is talking about a retro option, he's referring to lack of new games and has nothing but old games. It's why Pit is considered a retro but Little Mac is not.

That said, King K. Rool hasn't had an appearance in years, but I forgot what his last game was. It wasn't on the Wii or Wii U though, so he'd be retro by that point.

Little Mac isn't from a retro game, as his last game was on the Wii, and 4 is a Wii U/3DS game. He's however based upon his retro version from his previous games, so he's a retro design in comparison. Pac-Man has constant games, so he's clearly not retro series-wise, but he was based heavily upon the retro arcade design as one of his gimmicks. Obviously he's a 3rd party choice, but you can see where there's quite a difference between retro design and from a retro game.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
To note, retro has two meanings; being based on a retro design(see: Pac-Man, Little Mac), and lacking any recent new game appearances(of their sreies) from a retro game(see: Duck Hunt, Pit). In the case of Smash, when Sakurai is talking about a retro option, he's referring to lack of new games and has nothing but old games. It's why Pit is considered a retro but Little Mac is not.

That said, King K. Rool hasn't had an appearance in years, but I forgot what his last game was. It wasn't on the Wii or Wii U though, so he'd be retro by that point.

Little Mac isn't from a retro game, as his last game was on the Wii, and 4 is a Wii U/3DS game. He's however based upon his retro version from his previous games, so he's a retro design in comparison. Pac-Man has constant games, so he's clearly not retro series-wise, but he was based heavily upon the retro arcade design as one of his gimmicks. Obviously he's a 3rd party choice, but you can see where there's quite a difference between retro design and from a retro game.
I take it you mean King K. Rool's last DK appearance, right? Cuz iirc, his last appearance overall was on the Wii in Super Mario Sluggers. I wanna say his last DK appearance was 64.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I take it you mean King K. Rool's last DK appearance, right? Cuz iirc, his last appearance overall was on the Wii in Super Mario Sluggers. I wanna say his last DK appearance was 64.
I meant in Donkey Kong games, yeah. Cameos in non-DK games don't count. Even spin-offs that are DK-related would count more, heh.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
And the winner was Buzzwole, of course since its too swole to ignore. The other Ultra Beasts weren't as popular, but Nihilego at least was superior than Pheromosa and Blacephalon respectively.

Next up is something that may be seen in the realm of unlikeness, but still would be interesting to see what is the most wanted F-Zero character. Your choices are Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, Pico, and Jody Summer.

Good luck.
I think Mach Rider serves as a good rival to Captain Falcon even if from a different series. Contrast between a brutal post-apocalyptic reality and a flamboyant, color-splashed world.

So, I must abstain from this vote. Love your polls and appreciate you taking the time to do them.

Last edited:

\(°|°)/
Difference is K. Rool still had appearances in recent years, like Mario Super Sluggers and DK Jungle Climber.

Depends if you count Little Mac as retro in 4 or not.

King K. Rool had non-cameo roles in DK games right up until the Retro games. I think the last one was Super Mario Sluggers IIRC.
If Punchout for Wii didn't come out Little Mac would have been a retro character inclusion, and would have appeared more like his NES self like the AT in Brawl. But when the series was brought back it made him a non retro character.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
The third party list from that Smash poll I posted is now done.

The Top 15 Wanted New Third Party Characters For The Next Smash:

1. Bomberman - 33 Votes (Won tiebreaker on Smashboards)
2. Rayman - 33 Votes
3. Crash Bandicoot - 32 Votes
4. Shovel Knight - 27 Votes
5. Sora - 17 Votes
6. Banjo & Kazooie - 16 Votes
7. Simon Belmont - 15 Votes (Won Tiebreaker On Smashboards)
8. Travis Touchdown - 15 Votes (Second Place In Tiebreaker)
9. Phoenix Wright - 15 Votes (Third Place In Tiebreaker)
10. Shantae - 15 Votes (Fourth Place In Tiebreaker)
11. Geno - 11 Votes
12. Doom Guy - 10 Votes (Won Tiebreaker On Smashboards)
13. Professor Layton - 10 Votes
14. Solid Snake - 9 Votes (Won Tiebreaker On Smashboards)
15. Spyro The Dragon - 9 Votes

Some standout honorable mentions of third party characters that got 8 votes or less would include Viewtiful Joe (2), Ryu Hayabusa (5), Chrono (2), Zero (2), Heihachi (5), Earthworm Jim (2), Scorpion (5), Wonder Red (3), Dante (3), Gunvolt (1), Master Chief (4), Segata Sanshiro (1), Leon Kennedy (2), Nightmare (4), Sephiroth (3), Monster Hunter (3), Knuckles (6), Lara Croft (2), Alucard (1), Steve from Minecraft(1), KOS-MOS (2), Black Mage (1), Maxwell (2), Dragonborn (2), Dr. Eggman(4), Protoman (2), Terry Bogard (3), Lloyd Irving (5), Soma Cruz (1), Fulgore (2), Mega-Man X (3), Klonoa (1), Joker from Persona 5 (2), Jill Valentine (1), Neku Sakuraba (2), and Chun-Li (2).
My boy Crash is third? We are SO getting our 90's console war people folks!

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I think a lot of characters that people chose have "move-set" potential. Even Chrom who people would think would be a clone of Ike has good move-set potential. Creativity is a lot larger than you guys think for making move-sets, so I think that almost every character that is requested to be added into Smash for Switch has move-set potential.
Creativity is important, but people still like to generalize.

When you look at Ness vs Lucas, the two character share similar ideas in their special moveset but with the exception of a couple normals that's really all they share among the two. Yet people still refer to them as "Clones", because the two are designed and built similarly.

Characters that have similar builds and that are from the same are usually designed a way to represent their game properly.

This is very noticeable with the Star Fox cast, MOTHER kids, Mario Bros., and most of the Fire Emblem cast. They share what are essentially the same specials with different attributes, and their normals most part are what defines them from each other different. A very important reason for this is character's build. You need to create ways of attacking that have no real source material, so you need to look at the character's model and determine what suits it best (this is why Peach has a lot of moves that involves her dress in some fashion).

Chrom's build is in-between that of Marth and Ike, so in Smash most of his fighting style might be a mixture of the two. He's not as strong as Ike, so his attacks would be average if not a tad stronger. But he's not as refined as Marth, so his swordplay would be more aggressive and untamed (I mean the guy taught himself right?). But at the end of the day, Chrom would be generalized as an Ike/Marth clone probably, or "just another swordsman".

I think any character has potential, it's just that there's usually a more interesting option to consider instead.
I meant in Donkey Kong games, yeah. Cameos in non-DK games don't count. Even spin-offs that are DK-related would count more, heh.
K. Rool was an unlockable character in Donkey Kong Barrel Blast (Wii) and the final boss in Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber (DS) in 2007. It's only been 10 years since he's been in a Donkey Kong game, but that's still pretty big.

D

Deleted member

Creativity is important, but people still like to generalize.

When you look at Ness vs Lucas, the two character share similar ideas in their special moveset but with the exception of a couple normals that's really all they share among the two. Yet people still refer to them as "Clones", because the two are designed and built similarly.

Characters that have similar builds and that are from the same are usually designed a way to represent their game properly.

This is very noticeable with the Star Fox cast, MOTHER kids, Mario Bros., and most of the Fire Emblem cast. They share what are essentially the same specials with different attributes, and their normals most part are what defines them from each other different. A very important reason for this is character's build. You need to create ways of attacking that have no real source material, so you need to look at the character's model and determine what suits it best (this is why Peach has a lot of moves that involves her dress in some fashion).

Chrom's build is in-between that of Marth and Ike, so in Smash most of his fighting style might be a mixture of the two. He's not as strong as Ike, so his attacks would be average if not a tad stronger. But he's not as refined as Marth, so his swordplay would be more aggressive and untamed (I mean the guy taught himself right?). But at the end of the day, Chrom would be generalized as an Ike/Marth clone probably, or "just another swordsman".

I think any character has potential, it's just that there's usually a more interesting option to consider instead.
You do make a very good point though.

Chrom would be an "Ike/Marth" clone I guess, but Chrom does not have to have Marth or Ike's moves. Maybe they can pull off an attack Chrom does and make him swing his sword differently? I think Chrom deserves to go in Smash for Switch, too bad Sakurai dissed him off by replacing him with Robin. I like Robin in Smash though. Either way, you are right about there being more interesting options. What characters do you think have the most move-set potential?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Pretty much this. Mario is a modern character because he's still appearing in recent games, but both his sprite from the original Super Mario Bros. and his model from 64 are considered retro because they're specifically tied down to an older game that came out more than two decades ago.

Since K. Rool has made notable appearances in both Wii and DS games, I don't think there's much to qualify him as a retro character just yet.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I think Mach Rider serves as a good rival to Captain Falcon even if from a different series. Contrast between a brutal post-apocalyptic reality and a flamboyant, color-splashed world.

So, I must abstain from this vote. Love your polls and appreciate you taking the time to do them.
Awww, thanks.

And I definitely have Mach Rider in mind for the best future when I do retro Nintendo characters.

Now that you mention it, he would make a great rival for Falcon.

D

Deleted member

Captain Falcon has his own franchise? What????

\(°|°)/

Last edited by a moderator:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I made a visual representation of my speculation for the next smash bros installment.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Black Shadow won the F-Zero poll fair and square, probably because he’s too awesome. Samurai Goroh was close at least, while Pico and Jody fell behind.

Next up will be the first of two Mother polls that will mostly focus on the first two games in the series. Your choices are Lloyd Adonuts, Giygas (obviously with the white form playable), Flying Man, and Ninten.

Not to worry Porky fans, the pig king will have his chance tomorrow.

If Punchout for Wii didn't come out Little Mac would have been a retro character inclusion, and would have appeared more like his NES self like the AT in Brawl. But when the series was brought back it made him a non retro character.
Chrom would have been more of a clone of Marth, not Ike. He would have been similar to what Lucina was.

Chrom would be an "Ike/Marth" clone I guess, but Chrom does not have to have Marth or Ike's moves. Maybe they can pull off an attack Chrom does and make him swing his sword differently? I think Chrom deserves to go in Smash for Switch, too bad Sakurai dissed him off by replacing him with Robin. I like Robin in Smash though. Either way, you are right about there being more interesting options. What characters do you think have the most move-set potential?
Robin was just more of an interesting choice. And we technically got Chrom through Lucina.

\(°|°)/
F-Zero needs a return BADLY.

I was honestly surprised with how much Crash was voted for throughout the poll, especially later on. Rayman was running the list early on but the likes of Bomberman, Shovel Knight, and Crash Bandicoot started catching up. What helped them, especially Bomberman in winning, was a resurgence of votes later on.

Mach Rider is a cool retro choice and one of the few alongside Muddy Mole, Urban Champion, Mike Jones, Takamaru, and Prince Sable in pretty much the remaining good choices.

Chrom would have been more of a clone of Marth, not Ike. He would have been similar to what Lucina was.

Robin was just more of an interesting choice. And we technically got Chrom through Lucina.

\(°|°)/
F-Zero needs a return BADLY.

I was honestly surprised with how much Crash was voted for throughout the poll, especially later on. Rayman was running the list early on but the likes of Bomberman, Shovel Knight, and Crash Bandicoot started catching up. What helped them, especially Bomberman in winning, was a resurgence of votes later on.

Mach Rider is a cool retro choice and one of the few alongside Muddy Mole, Urban Champion, Mike Jones, Takamaru, and Prince Sable in pretty much the remaining good choices.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Major disclaimer, I mixed up Mother 1’s Lloyd with Earthbound’s Jeff.

I can terribly apologize for that mistake.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

The character needs something that just makes them stand out. Like how Robin utilizes magic and swordplay, or how Corrin can transform parts of their body into weapons at will.

Is your question just in reference to Fire Emblem characters or anyone at all?

I personally think characters like:
Inkling Girl/Boy (Terrain Control via Ink)
Spring Man, or any fighter from ARMS (Extendable Limbs / ARMS Swap)
Nikki / Adeleine (Fighting Artist / Clown)
Muddy Mole (Playing around a single item / hiding in terrain)
Tiki (Traditional Manakete / Fighting using a Floating Object [Menat / Viola])
Dillon / Andy (Building and Maintaining "stage hazards")
Sukapon / Rayman (Limbless fighters)

just a few that came to mind immediately, there's obviously a lot more but i don't know every character ever lol

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Idea for Geno's unique gameplay mechanic is to invoke the famous Mario RPG timed hits, especially since Geno's attack in that game demanded a lot of precision.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I never said it was guaranteed for Metroid to get a new character in the first place. But if there is to be one it would certainly be a character that is big in Metroid Prime 4. The newest game will take preference but also remember Metroid is competing with other franchises on who get more representation in each game. And Metroid lost out on the last two for fairly obvious reasons. A major one being there are not too many reaccuring characters in it. It is mostly about Samus.

The thing is not all recent characters get in. But being recent and relevent does indeed play a major part in anyone not retro or sometimes third party. I mean just look and Brawl and Sm4sh and you would see that. Brawl is basically Gamecube, GBA, and somewhat DS. And Sm4sh is easily the Wii, DS, 3DS, and somewhat Wii U.
Whilst you didn't say that Metroid was guaranteed to get a newcomer, what you're basically implying is that if Metroid was to get a new character and content, it would be 100% from Metroid Prime 4 (and that the game would dictate who the newcomer is and what content is selected). That's pretty much making assumptions. There could be different variables when choosing content this time around. The newest game isn't always selected for content - for example, back in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (the latest Metroid game at the time) received no content. Metroid content was overall represented by the 2D / traditional Metroid games, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime Pinball, and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Metroid Prime Hunters, a game that released before Metroid Prime 3: Corruption one year prior, received only trophies and stickers. No music, no stage, no playable characters, nothing else. Dark Samus was based on its design from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

Whilst Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU did have Metroid content that focused on Metroid Other M, it did also have content from other games. It seems that the content that Sakurai usually goes for in representing in Super Smash Bros. tends to be mainly from the 2D / traditional games (Other M isn't a 2D game, but it still comes under traditional Metroid games) and from the first Metroid Prime game. My biggest gripe with content speculation is that people have constantly said over the years that they want classic/old games to get representation, yet they somehow insist on having the latest games getting content first and foremost just because of the hype surrounding said games (though Corrin was hated largely because he was a promotional character from the most recent Fire Emblem game at the time). On the other hand, Metroid Samus Returns is currently the newest entry, and has won 3 awards (plus it has also been nominated two additional awards for an upcoming award ceremony). It was basically the revival game that people had been waiting for for years.

With this in mind, why wouldn't Nintendo want to show off this award winning game via Super Smash Bros.? Compare that to Metroid Prime 4, a game that isn't even out yet, a game that we don't even know anything about (other than it's "now in development"), and a game that we don't know when it will release - Kensuke Tanabe said that it could take "3 years or so" to develop Metroid Prime 4 (whether this meant for just WiiU if they went ahead to develop for the system, or if it means in general, is uncertain), and if it started development in 2016, we're possibly looking at a late 2019 release (possibly longer).
If it started development last year, it could release by 2020. Smash 6 has a potential to release this year or in 2019, but I doubt they'd wait until late in development to receive material to make all of Metroid's content based on Metroid Prime 4. I feel that Metroid Prime 4 is being overhyped at this point. This is coming from a Metroid fan who loved the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

They have enough content from Metroid Samus Returns and previous games to use for the game. Can they add something from Metroid Prime 4? Sure they can. Metroid as a series isn't like the other franchises though, it has a specific audience. Metroid Prime games don't tend to do well in Japan (they're not into FPSes and FPAs as much as the US), and it's usually that audience that Sakurai has tended to focus on with previous Super Smash Bros. titles. Metroid isn't "competing with other franchises" or has "lost out" to them, it's just the simple fact that characters from other franchises had priority over it. You're right, Metroid doesn't have many recurring characters to choose from. Plenty of the characters that have been wanted are one-shot characters that have very little hope of returning. Sure, there are plenty of "one-shot" characters on the roster already, but they're mainly representatives of their own games.

The only notable recurring characters that could work are Ridley, Dark Samus, and Sylux. Sakurai has already said no to Ridley, but if he is not be directing Smash 6, Ridley might get a second chance. Might. It depends on the new director's stance - he/she could agree with Sakurai and say no to Ridley. Or he/she could disagree with him, and say yes and add him. Or he/she could disagree with Sakurai, but still not add Ridley. On the other hand, he/she could agree with Sakurai, but add Ridley anyway for the sake of the fans (or because Nintendo requested to add Ridley). There's absolutely no guarantee that he'll be added, but he has a better shot without Sakurai's input.

Dark Samus was an Assist Trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU, and we don't know if it'll retain that role for Smash 6. Dark Samus will unlikely have a role in future Metroid titles, so the only hope it has to hold onto relevance in the Metroid series is if Nintendo release a HD Remaster of some kind of the Metroid Prime Trilogy (for the Nintendo Switch), and added for the sake of fan demand. That's not to say relevance is the only thing to have in mind when selecting characters. Sylux has been relevant solely because of cameos, and has a possibility of being in Metroid Prime 4 (it hasn't been confirmed though). Sylux is niche in comparison to the other two. Advertising for future games via Super Smash Bros. works for some franchises, but not all of them. I've already said it before, but Metroid might still just end up with Samus and Zero Suit Samus.

On another note, if you were wondering why I kept saying "Smash 6":

Smash 4 = Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Smash 5 = Super Smash Bros. for WiiU
Smash 6 = Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch [tentative title]

These were confirmed by Sakurai.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I hope the title of the game is something not lame. "Smash for Wii U/3DS" has placeholder title written all over it and it's clear didn't bother giving it a different name because they're lazy.

Bring back cool titles, I think "Smash Bros. Conquest" could work.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I hope the title of the game is something not lame. "Smash for Wii U/3DS" has placeholder title written all over it and it's clear didn't bother giving it a different name because they're lazy.

Bring back cool titles, I think "Smash Bros. Conquest" could work.
I could understand them doing it for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU, to make it super easy to differentiate the versions (for the average consumers), but they shouldn't need to for the Nintendo Switch title. I hope it has a proper title again.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Whilst you didn't say that Metroid was guaranteed to get a newcomer, what you're basically implying is that if Metroid was to get a new character and content, it would be 100% from Metroid Prime 4 (and that the game would dictate who the newcomer is and what content is selected). That's pretty much making assumptions. There could be different variables when choosing content this time around. The newest game isn't always selected for content - for example, back in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (the latest Metroid game at the time) received no content. Metroid content was overall represented by the 2D / traditional Metroid games, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime Pinball, and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Metroid Prime Hunters, a game that released before Metroid Prime 3: Corruption two years prior, received only trophies and stickers. No music, no stage, no playable characters, nothing else. Dark Samus was based on its design from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

Whilst Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU did have Metroid content that focused on Metroid Other M, it did also have content from other games. It seems that the content that Sakurai usually goes for in representing in Super Smash Bros. tends to be mainly from the 2D / traditional games (Other M isn't a 2D game, but it still comes under traditional Metroid games) and from the first Metroid Prime game. My biggest gripe with content speculation is that people have constantly said over the years that they want classic/old games to get representation, yet they somehow insist on having the latest games getting content first and foremost just because of the hype surrounding said games (though Corrin was hated largely because he was a promotional character from the most recent Fire Emblem game at the time). On the other hand, Metroid Samus Returns is currently the newest entry, and has won 3 awards (plus it has also been nominated two additional awards for an upcoming award ceremony). It was basically the revival game that people had been waiting for for years.

With this in mind, why wouldn't Nintendo want to show off this award winning game via Super Smash Bros.? Compare that to to Metroid Prime 4, a game that isn't even out yet, a game that we don't even know anything about (other than it's "now in development"), and a game that we don't know when it will release - Kensuke Tanabe said that it could take "3 years or so" to develop Metroid Prime 4 (whether this meant for just WiiU if they went ahead to develop for the system, or if it means in general, is uncertain), and if it started development in 2016, we're possibly looking at a late 2019 release (possibly longer).
If it started development last year, it could release by 2020. Smash 6 has a potential to release this year or in 2019, but I doubt they'd wait until late in development to receive material to make all of Metroid's content based on Metroid Prime 4. I feel that Metroid Prime 4 is being overhyped at this point. This is coming from a Metroid fan who loved the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

They have enough content from Metroid Samus Returns and previous games to use for the game. Can they add something from Metroid Prime 4? Sure they can. Metroid as a series isn't like the other franchises though, it has a specific audience. Metroid Prime games don't tend to do well in Japan (they're not into FPSes and FPAs as much as the US), and it's usually that audience that Sakurai has tended to focus on with previous Super Smash Bros. titles. Metroid isn't "competing with other franchises" or has "lost out" to them, it's just the simple fact that characters from other franchises had priority over it. You're right, Metroid doesn't have many recurring characters to choose from. Plenty of the characters that have been wanted are one-shot characters that have very little hope of returning. Sure, there are plenty of "one-shot" characters on the roster already, but they're mainly representatives of their own games.

The only notable recurring characters that could work are Ridley, Dark Samus, and Sylux. Sakurai has already said no to Ridley, but if he is not be directing Smash 6, Ridley might get a second chance. Might. It depends on the new director's stance - he/she could agree with Sakurai and say no to Ridley. Or he/she could disagree with him, and say yes and add him. Or he/she could disagree with Sakurai, but still not add Ridley. On the other hand, he/she could agree with Sakurai, but add Ridley anyway for the sake of the fans (or because Nintendo requested to add Ridley). There's absolutely no guarantee that he'll be added, but he has a better shot without Sakurai's input.

Dark Samus was an Assist Trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU, and we don't know if it'll retain that role for Smash 6. Dark Samus will unlikely have a role in future Metroid titles, so the only hope it has to hold onto relevance in the Metroid series is if Nintendo release a HD Remaster of some kind of the Metroid Prime Trilogy (for the Nintendo Switch), and added for the sake of fan demand. That's not to say relevance is the only thing to have in mind when selecting characters. Sylux has been relevant solely because of cameos, and has a possibility of being in Metroid Prime 4 (it hasn't been confirmed though). Sylux is niche in comparison to the other two. Advertising for future games via Super Smash Bros. works for some franchises, but not all of them. I've already said it before, but Metroid might still just end up with Samus and Zero Suit Samus.

On another note, if you were wondering why I kept saying "Smash 6":

Smash 4 = Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Smash 5 = Super Smash Bros. for WiiU
Smash 6 = Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch [tentative title]

These were confirmed by Sakurai.
While Metroid is debatably an exception to this, Sakurai does tend to put a heavier emphasis on newer games. Even if it doesn't translate to getting a new character, I still think Metroid will be heavily represented by Prime 4 in the next Smash game (assuming it's released long before Smash). It's not because I think Samus Returns or 2D Metroid games aren't as important or anything. It's just that it seems like Nintendo is far more invested in the success of Prime 4, simply because it'll be a Switch game with the potential to attract new hardcore Halo-type fans. Maybe I'd feel differently on this if they had put more effort into hyping Samus Returns during last year's E3. Heck, Samus Returns was completely swept off to the side while Prime 4, a game that didn't have ANY gameplay footage, hogged the spotlight.

I'm definitely not suggesting that Samus Returns won't get any representation at all. I just think Prime 4 will get more attention by comparison.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
While Metroid is debatably an exception to this, Sakurai does tend to put a heavier emphasis on newer games. Even if it doesn't translate to getting a new character, I still think Metroid will be heavily represented by Prime 4 in the next Smash game (assuming it's released long before Smash). It's not because I think Samus Returns or 2D Metroid games aren't as important or anything, it's just seems like Nintendo is far more invested in the success of Prime 4, simply because it'll be a Switch game with the potential to attract new hardcore Halo-type fans. Maybe I'd feel differently on this if they had put more effort into hyping Samus Returns during last year's E3. Heck, Samus Returns was completely swept off to the side while Prime 4, a game that didn't have ANY gameplay footage, hogged the spotlight.
I can't help but feel that Nintendo announced Metroid Prime 4 earlier than planned. To me, it felt like slight damage control to announce it early. Metroid Samus Returns being a Nintendo 3DS game, people would complain about it not being on Nintendo Switch (they did). Never mind the fact that it was a proper Metroid game people wanted, it started development long before the Nintendo Switch was announced (it was when Nintendo was still supporting WiiU), and is on a system with a higher install base. Sure it was nice to get its own section, but it was placed after all the hype was built up for Metroid Prime 4, and got overshadowed, which is a shame as the game ended up better than was shown.

Yeah no. That's like saying we technically Cranky Kong because we have Donkey Kong. Those are in no way equivalent.
I didn't mean as it replacing the chance of getting Chrom. Or that they are the same character. But in that their fighting styles outside of stats and techniques learned are basically the same. They both use the Falchion and had it and their fighting styles passed down from Marth. Lucina even tries to pass off as Marth and uses a fighting style that makes her believable to be him. A style she learned from Chrom. That is what I meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom