• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Welp, it begins
Decidueye vs incineroar.jpg

(Y'all know Decidueye's the best choice)

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Totally forgot we should change the subject and never discuss Pokemon newcomers again.

New Topic: You are required to add one newcomer from a new Nintendo RPG series made after 2010. If that series is already in Smash, they are not allowed. Who do you choose?

D

Deleted member

New Topic: You are required to add one newcomer from a new Nintendo RPG series made after 2010. If that series is already in Smash, they are not allowed. Who do you choose?
I'm confused, is it for franchises that were introudced post 2010?

D

Deleted member

I don't see any viable choice that I care about.
Sorry Swamp but that's waaaay too specific

Last edited by a moderator:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Totally forgot we should change the subject and never discuss Pokemon newcomers again.

New Topic: You are required to add one newcomer from a new Nintendo RPG series made after 2000. If that series is already in Smash, they are not allowed. Who do you choose?
Isaac from Golden Sun :troll:

D

Deleted member

Totally forgot you have bad opinions.
....wow, that was uncalled for. I go for old-fashioned trash-talking on the competition like any true heel would, and you go for a low blow towards me personally.

(And yes, I do know I can just simply use the Opposite Day thing to turn what you said to actually mean a compliment, but still...)

Well, whatever....
It's already obvious the damn owl's going to stomp when the only competition it actually has in the poll is Incineroar (who hasn't had the same luxury of being the de facto pick for Smash since before Gen 7's release solely because of typing).
Crabrawler's random as **** and Primarina is practically a non-factor in comparison to the other two starters.

So enjoy that easy victory at my expense, I guess.....
I'll just take my bad opinions elsewhere for the time being....

Chron

Smash Journeyman
You are required to add one newcomer from a new Nintendo RPG series made after 2010. If that series is already in Smash, they are not allowed. Who do you choose?
Agnes, Bravely Default.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

....wow, that was uncalled for. I go for old-fashioned trash-talking on the competition like any true heel would, and you go for a low blow towards me personally.

(And yes, I do know I can just simply use the Opposite Day thing to turn what you said to actually mean a compliment, but still...)

Well, whatever....
It's already obvious the damn owl's going to stomp when the only competition it actually has in the poll is Incineroar (who hasn't had the same luxury of being the de facto pick for Smash since before Gen 7's release solely because of typing).
Crabrawler's random as **** and Primarina is practically a non-factor in comparison to the other two starters.

So enjoy that easy victory at my expense, I guess.....
I'll just take my bad opinions elsewhere for the time being....
I was joking.
I really am sorry if I hurt you in any way, it wasn't my intention.

D

Deleted member

If I could pick characters who already have trophies, I'd go with Zael from The Last Story. If not, then I'm not sure who'd I want.
Agnes Bravely Default
He meant from first party series. Square Enix owns Bravely Default.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Oh, okay then.
What are my options? Nothing really comes to mind
Looking at things, there's...
  • Ever Oasis
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, but it's likely disqualified because of the Fire Emblem elements
  • The Last Story, but if trophies count as "already in Smash", then that game is disqualified because Smash 4 has a trophy of Zael
  • Bravely Default doesn't count because it's not a Nintendo franchise; all Nintendo does in puslish the games outside of Japan
  • Same issue for Yo-kai Watch
  • Now that I looked into it, Codename S.T.E.A.M. doesn't count because it's not an RPG
So yeah, Swamp gave us a question with literally only one possible answer

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Looking at things, there's...

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, but it's likely disqualified because of the Fire Emblem elements
The Last Story, but if trophies count as "already in Smash", then that game is disqualified because Smash 4 had a trophy of Zael
Bravely Default doesn't count because it's not a Nintendo franchise. All Nintendo does in puslish the games outside of Japan.
Same issue for Yo-kai Watch
Now that I looked into it, Codename S.T.E.A.M. doesn't count because it's not an RPG
Like I said, it's way too specific and there aren't that many options, and the few options that do exist are pretty obscure.
I don't see how that's worth discussing.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pokemon Switch starter animal (and extra type) guesses:

Grass: Genet (Grass/Ice)
Water: Desman (Water/Ground)
Fire: Bull (Fire/Rock)

What are your guesses?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Miis are already in the game. Miitopia is all about Miis.

Doesn't count.
The Mii Fighters are considered Smash OCs as opposed to from any particular series. A Miitopia Mii would have a Miitopia symbol, hence being technically viable under Swamp's rule.

But yeah, considering you need to make that much of a stretch to even get a second option really shows how limited the choices were.

Back on Pokémon though, you know who'd be neat to have? Shiftry. That'd be fun.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Shiftry would be a fun character.
I personally want Gallade or Gardevoir.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Back on Pokémon though, you know who'd be neat to have? Shiftry. That'd be fun.
You have my attention. What kind of moveset would Shiftry have? I haven't played Pokemon in months and I never used Shiftry, so I can't think of anything.

Sorry, I don't agree here.

Did Metroid Prime 3: Corruption dictate which Metroid character would get added for Super Smash Bros. Brawl?
No it did not.

With Ridley as a boss in Sub Space Emissary, they could've picked Dark Samus, Gandrayda, Ghor, or Rundas as a fighter, to promote for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, yet they didn't.

Did Metroid Other M dictate which Metroid character would get added for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU? No it did not.

With Ridley and Dark Samus in non-playable roles, they could've picked Adam Malkovich or Anthony Higgs as a fighter, to promote Metroid Other M, yet they didn't (and for good reason too).

Just because Metroid Prime 4 might have a new character or returning one, does not mean they will be added. Metroid as a series might end up just with Samus and Zero Suit Samus again, in Smash 6. The Super Smash Bros. series has a history of having content focusing on the main series / 2D games, as they appeal more to all audiences (whereas Prime has less appeal to the Japanese audience). If Smash 6 has been in development since 2014/2015, it'll probably have Metroid Samus Returns content, as that was in development around the same time, whereas Prime 4 probably started in 2016/2017. If Smash 6 is being released this year, like rumours seem to suggest (though we need to take this with a pinch of salt, considering who the rumour is from), it's unlikely to get much content from Prime 4.

People shouldn't jump to conclusions and say [insert character in Prime 4] will be picked, because we've already seen countless times where characters, who've been in recent games around the time for each respective Super Smash Bros. game, and were thought as shoo-ins or "most likely", weren't picked. It also depends on who the director is this time - Sakurai might not even be coming back, it might be someone new.
I never said it was guaranteed for Metroid to get a new character in the first place. But if there is to be one it would certainly be a character that is big in Metroid Prime 4. The newest game will take preference but also remember Metroid is competing with other franchises on who get more representation in each game. And Metroid lost out on the last two for fairly obvious reasons. A major one being there are not too many reaccuring characters in it. It is mostly about Samus.

The thing is not all recent characters get in. But being recent and relevent does indeed play a major part in anyone not retro or sometimes third party. I mean just look and Brawl and Sm4sh and you would see that. Brawl is basically Gamecube, GBA, and somewhat DS. And Sm4sh is easily the Wii, DS, 3DS, and somewhat Wii U.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You have my attention. What kind of moveset would Shiftry have? I haven't played Pokemon in months and I never used Shiftry, so I can't think of anything.
Shiftry is known, lore-wise, for using its fans to create strong gusts of wind. The fact that it's based on a tengu gives it an aptitude for trickery with its Dark typing, and of course it can use moves like Leaf Blade, Leaf Tornado, and Seed Bomb on the Grass side of things. Basically I envision it as sort of a crafty fan-user that's able to maneuver fairly well in the air using gusts of wind while keeping foes at bay with other attacks. It could even use Knock Off as a down special, which does major damage and stun if it hits an opponent that's holding an item (even in an items-off match, this would apply to things like Peach's turnips, R.O.B.'s gyros, etc).

Windbox manipulation alongside aerial mobility, very "tricky" Dark type moves, and some Grass attacks to spice things up. Could be really neat.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Because Smash may choose a fighter/starter from the 8th generation, I think it's relevant.
You're not wrong, as a Gen VIII Pokemon is very likely. I just feel like we should wait until we get the reveals of the actual starters before we start speculating which one would get in Smash. Trying to pick one now essentially boils down to making a decision solely on typing.

I never said it was guaranteed for Metroid to get a new character in the first place. But if there is to be one it would certainly be a character that is big in Metroid Prime 4. The newest game will take preference but also remember Metroid is competing with other franchises on who get more representation in each game. And Metroid lost out on the last two for fairly obvious reasons. A major one being there are not too many reaccuring characters in it. It is mostly about Samus.

The thing is not all recent characters get in. But being recent and relevent does indeed play a major part in anyone not retro or sometimes third party. I mean just look and Brawl and Sm4sh and you would see that. Brawl is basically Gamecube, GBA, and somewhat DS. And Sm4sh is easily the Wii, DS, 3DS, and somewhat Wii U.
Relevancy does play a huge role in deciding newcomers, as seen with what we got in Smash 4 (:rosalina::4bowserjr::4greninja::4palutena::4darkpit::4robinm::4lucina::4corrin::4shulk:). If Metroid gets a new character this time, said character would probably needed to have done something noteworthy in recent years. I can't see the development team choosing someone who hasn't made an appearance since Prime 3 or Other M when newer games like Samus Returns and Prime 4 exist.

Last edited:

Chron

Smash Journeyman
It could even use Knock Off as a down special, which does major damage and stun if it hits an opponent that's holding an item (even in an items-off match, this would apply to things like Peach's turnips, R.O.B.'s gyros, etc).
I like the idea off windbox based attack. Could be something like Mii Swordfighter's neutral-b.
As for Knock-Off, it's an interesting attack, but if not many characters have items it could end up with some balance issues. Being OP(or at least very good) vs. item-holders, but worthless against characters without items.

Cool ideas though.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I like the idea off windbox based attack. Could be something like Mii Swordfighter's neutral-b.
As for Knock-Off, it's an interesting attack, but if not many characters have projectiles it could end up with some balance issues. Being OP(or at least very good) vs. item-holders, but worthless against characters without items.

Cool ideas though.
I figured it could work due to Pocket being similar (borderline useless on characters without stealable projectiles). To aid that though, another special could be Seed Bomb, where Shiftry throws down a set of explosive seeds. These seeds can be carried and thrown by foes before they detonate, meaning that Shiftry has a way to use Knock Off no matter who he's facing, as the foe could always steal one of his own seeds.

And thanks! I just like thinking up move ideas for otherwise unlikely characters that I enjoy, haha.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Pokémon in Smash need to use more status moves. There are six specials that are status moves, but half of them were turned into attacks. I want someone who can boost up with Bulk Up, Dragon Dance, etc.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Oh that "new" was a typo, but that is true.

Speaking of which, isn't it pokemon day today or something. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be any reveal of the switch game, so we still don't know what Gen 8 pokemon starters are. Hopefully we get a cool grass starter, I would support it for smash. I wish it is another bird.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
You're not wrong, as a Gen VIII Pokemon is very likely. I just feel like we should wait until we get the reveals of the actual starters before we start speculating which one would get in Smash. Trying to pick one now essentially boils down to making a decision solely on typing.
Well, the speculation was just on the animal species and extra typing. The rumors (debunked?) suggest an area based on a Mediterranean setting such as Italy and/or Spain.

D

Deleted member

Oh that "new" was a typo, but that is true.
Honestly, as much as I want Decidueye, I think I'd be okay with most Gen 7 options as long as they're unique and fun to play as... well, aside from that Pokemon that I don't want to mention again.

Luminario

Smash Lord
As for Knock-Off, it's an interesting attack, but if not many characters have projectiles it could end up with some balance issues. Being OP(or at least very good) vs. item-holders, but worthless against characters without items.

Cool ideas though.
It could simply be a quick get-off-me attack with the added effect of making the opponent drop their item, as opposed to making it useless. Most reflectors have another use rather than purely reflecting, so Knock Off could have the same multi-purpose concept.
Pokémon in Smash need to use more status moves. There are six specials that are status moves, but half of them were turned into attacks. I want someone who can boost up with Bulk Up, Dragon Dance, etc.
Poison and Leech Seed are both statuses I'm surprised haven't appeared in Smash as anything other than Togepi's Metronome attack. I assume Sakurai is saving molding a moveset around the Flower Head effect for Lip's inevitable inclusion, but it's still something I'd like to see soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom