• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If Echoes are "last minute content filler" then I'd appreciate that we don't get echoes as DLC and instead have them as plain old clone characters ala Brawl, considering they have as much time as they need to make them as unique as possible.

I'd rather wait an additional half year than have a character I love potentially being relegated to essentially an alternate costume.

StormC

Smash Hero
Xenoblade 2's sales rival those of the Tropical Freeze port on Switch (the game didnt sell **** on Wii U i'm giving you this one) But Majora's Mask (using 3D here) way crashes that sales fight though. It's arguably more recognized and favored for Skull Kid at least.
You're forgetting two little known games called Donkey Kong Country 2 and Donkey Kong Country 3, my friend.

Both sold over 5 million and 3 million respectively.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Dixie is of course more popular than Geno and Isaac among casual gamers
You said it, casual gamers. But this edition of Smash Brothers is aiming towards the hardcore audience and they're giving what the hardcore audience has always wanted, so far we got K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom and Dark Samus, which have always been popular requests. The only characters left that i see getting added are Isaac and Geno.
I'm not denying Dixie in the game, but she's more well-suited for an echo than a full character.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
If Echoes are "last minute content filler" then I'd appreciate that we don't get echoes as DLC and instead have them as plain old clone characters ala Brawl, considering they have as much time as they need to make them as unique as possible.

I'd rather wait an additional half year than have a character I love potentially being relegated to essentially an alternate costume.
Perhaps give them as free updates while you sell new characters

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Here's a good question - if we get future echo fighters after release, how should it be handled? I feel as if the best way to go about it is to make them a part software updates. I don't know if making them something like $2.99USD would be a good idea. Roy and Lucas were at least refined enough to validate the purchase, but for a character that's like Dark Pit and Lucina fundamentally as echoes? Ehh... If the price is good enough, then maybe I'll throw a dollar or two.
But the real question is question is, who wants to buy clones? Roy and Lucas don’t count since they are more unique (semi-clones).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But again, this hardly matters since she's an echo now and who cares? She started as a Peach skin and that's what she'll largely be, even in Smash.
But maybe they'll finally start to change that after this game (well, not immediately, anyway), given that miraculously showing up in Smash is a pretty big deal. There's a big chance that she might get the Luigi treatment in her moveset about 5 years from now, compared to Pittoo and Lucina.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Xenoblade 2's sales rival those of the Tropical Freeze port on Switch (the game didnt sell **** on Wii U i'm giving you this one) But Majora's Mask (using 3D here) way crashes that sales fight though. It's arguably more recognized and favored for Skull Kid at least.
Xenoblade 2 wasn't out when the ballot was anyway so it doesn't really matter, and a games sales don't necessarily reflect a characters popularity, it really does feel like skull kid speculation has popped out of nowhere recently cause I don't remember many talking about him back then.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You're forgetting two little known games called Donkey Kong Country 2 and Donkey Kong Country 3, my friend.

Both sold over 5 million and 3 million respectively.
I was assuming in the grasp of the modern person, not a nostalgia backer. Newer installments and remakes allow more people to get access to the content in question outside of a Virtual Console thing.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

New animations, victory poses, entrances, voice lines, stats and moves, taunts, trophy, portraits in various modes, alt colors and costumes of their own...
I don't mean to be impolite or anything, but that's way beyond essentially an alt costume. Just imo.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Perhaps give them as free updates while you sell new characters
Well the pricing issue isn't my point.
I don't really care if they sell it for free or sell it for $3, I just want characters to be more meaningful additions and given the time and effort they deserve.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wait why are we even talking about sales again? The point was about Dixie being echo-ified. Man I'm off beat. :shyguy:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'll just be glad to not have to pay for DLC for two systems again. I'm pretty down with whatever for DLC after how fantastic the base game is.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
You said it, casual gamers. But this edition of Smash Brothers is aiming towards the hardcore audience and they're giving what the hardcore audience has always wanted, so far we got K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom and Dark Samus, which have always been popular requests. The only characters left that i see getting added are Isaac and Geno.
I'm not denying Dixie in the game, but she's more well-suited for an echo than a full character.
Very true, plus many casual gamers wouldn't even notice her echo status.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I was assuming in the grasp of the modern person, not a nostalgia backer. Newer installments and remakes allow more people to get access to the content in question outside of a Virtual Console thing.
A nostalgia backer would be a modern adult. “Back in my day” is always a relevant phrase. Lol

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
There's a 4chan image saying that you heard interesting things about Smash, can you debunk it?
People on 4chan claimed I said stuff I never said all the time last go around. It's just what they do.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Echoes shouldn't be DLC period, Smash would feel like Hearthstone or Overwatch where the main dragging point are the collactable stuff, rather than a party/fighting game
Very true, plus many casual gamers wouldn't even notice her echo status.
Yeah man i'm sorry for being so harsh on Dixie, but it'd be wrong for characters that have been fan favorites since melee to lose a spot to Dixie

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Xenoblade 2 wasn't out when the ballot was anyway so it doesn't really matter, and a games sales don't necessarily reflect a characters popularity, it really does feel like skull kid speculation has popped out of nowhere recently cause I don't remember many talking about him back then.
There's tons of characters that "normies" remember, and Skull Kid is one of them.

I think we tend to not think as much about characters that have a broader appeal because we're all the time debating niche, secondary, and "unlikely" newcomers. But remember that one fake Majora's Mask remake countdown that set the internet on fire?

Yeah, Skull Kid placing in the ballot isn't out of the question.

There's also the fact that he was an assist and many assumed he would stay an assist. But now we just have "Moon." It's given people hope for Skull Kid and TBH I think this is his time. Ultimate looks to be the game of rivals and sidekicks.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Well. Yojoyco announced that their new IP is getting a game...
Super Fighting Food Dudes For Smash? Nah just kidding.

At first I said. “This looks dumb.” Then I remembered we are talking about Chardtronic
Well, if the game looks promising I’ll get it.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd actually be totally fine with Dixie being a unique newcomer, the DK series got totally shafted in Smash 4 and the salt would sustain me for years.

Won't happen, but in my more petty thoughts, I entertain the notion.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Echoes shouldn't be DLC period, Smash would feel like a "Gotta collect 'em all!"

Yeah man i'm sorry for being so harsh on Dixie, but it'd be wrong for characters that have been fan favorites since melee to lose a spot to Dixie
Except it wouldn't. Not a fan of this point right here.
As I stated earlier, Rosalina made it in over Waluigi in Smash 4. Remember when we got Corrin but still don't have Lyn?
I'm not sure why it'd be "wrong".

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
There's tons of characters that "normies" remember, and Skull Kid is one of them.

I think we tend to not think as much about characters that have a broader appeal because we're all the time debating niche, secondary, and "unlikely" newcomers. But remember that one fake Majora's Mask remake countdown that set the internet on fire?

Yeah, Skull Kid placing in the ballot isn't out of the question.

There's also the fact that he was an assist and many assumed he would stay an assist. But now we just have "Moon." It's given people hope for Skull Kid and TBH I think this is his time. Ultimate looks to be the game of rivals and sidekicks.
Skull kid is the one character I'm genuinely 100% SURE is in. It makes way too much sense with the villains theme, as well the popularity of skull kid and majora's mask as a whole

Pakky

Smash Hero
If BWD is in and uses a Parasol in his set, I hope this turns into a dumb community taunt when you win.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
New animations, victory poses, entrances, voice lines, stats and moves, taunts, trophy, portraits in various modes, alt colors and costumes of their own...
I don't mean to be impolite or anything, but that's way beyond essentially an alt costume. Just imo.
Yes, I am aware of the slight differences that echoes have, but that stuff's purely extraneous to what forms the essence of a character, their playstyles. If they developers are given the time to make DLC, I'd rather they spend a lot of time on a good character with a price tag to match the effort. I'd gladly pay for that.

And even then those different stats and moves. the essentials only apply to specific characters and to a small degree. Any more and they'd be Dr. Mario leveled of differences.

As a side note, I find it tedious that people simultaneously argue that echoes occupy this space where they're somehow both so easy and require so little effort, they might as well be put in, regardless what they're actually like while at the same time having so much effort and time put into them to be far more heavy than alternate costumes.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
You ever notice how a lot of the recent leaks has either geno, banjo,, dixie, or bandana dee in it?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I'd actually be totally fine with Dixie being a unique newcomer, the DK series got the total shaft in Smash 4 and the salt would sustain me for years.

Won't happen, but in my more petty thoughts, I entertain the notion.
Well the same could be said for Zelda and Kirby, who haven't gotten newcomers since Brawl just like DK. Yes Zelda has 6 characters, but 3 of them are Link.

I personally think DK deserves Dixie as an echo at least to round out 4 characters, just like Metroid. Then, Zelda and Kirby get Skull Kid and Bandana Dee (the seemingly most requested characters for each series) as uniques to match both Metroid and DK getting unique newcomers too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom