• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
You mean the same evidence for many other characters? Popularity, not reprising a former AT or boss role, moveset potential, etc. can be used for nearly any character. What do you think makes Skull Kid so special?
I mean... I could actually say that the chairs in the last direct are actually about Deathborn since he has closer shades of purple and yellow on his own person (than fairies). Heck, if you were to think about the chairs like we were supposed to think about the Rope Bridge and the Barrel in the last direct, it could actually be a hint for Chibi Robo since you clean furniture and stuff in that game.

Maybe I should clarify...

:ultyoshi:
1. safer dodges
2. faster grab
3. fthrow kills
4. fix hitbox on fsmash
5. armor on Side B
6. lag is reduced on his attacks across the board
7. DJ height is increased
8. Side B should be cancellable
9. tether recovery
10. grab should be able to eat items
Damn right... and a better Egg throw! I'll spam this gif until i get the real deal.. or until a mod. tells me to stop...

StormC

Smash Hero
The Mimique stuff is interesting. A lot of his guesses are safe, some less so. I'm sure he has had misfires that aren't reported (though it's possible he would be self-sabotaging in order to throw people off his trail). I'll keep an eye on it.

Someone out there has the deets and is posting them online. So much for tighter leak security this time around...

D

Deleted member

My opinions on the Boring 4, as I like to call them:
Geno is in.
Skull Kid is 50/50.
Incineroar I also feel is 50/50 and I wouldn't be surprised if another Alola Mon got in.
Lol banjo lol

StormC

Smash Hero
Geno is in.
Skull Kid is 50/50.
Incineroar I also feel is 50/50 and I wouldn't be surprised if another Alola Mon got in.
Lol banjo lol
Saving this post for posterity when Banjo is in.

"Boring 4?" You must be fun at parties.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Geno is in.
Skull Kid is 50/50.
Lol banjo lol
I'll steal this as well

Geno is definite, probably the expected one
Incineroar is the most expected out of the Alola Mons, but I feel like we won't get a new Poke
Skull Kid has some ground, but not much
Banjo will live on as a meme and be in the next Smash Bros

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Geno is in.
Skull Kid is 50/50.
Lol banjo lol
Ugh. Why. How is banjo boring. Who do you want?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
My feelings on the Boring 4:

Isaac is most likely playable. There's still a chance he plain out won't be though, but he's most likely in.
Incineroar is also most likely in.
Skull Kid is pretty likely to be in at this point.
Geno's in.
Banjo isn't. RIP king.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Agumon is in my friends
Trust me
He will be revealed in September
I don't trust you. I don't think I ever will.

Isaac is most likely playable. There's still a chance he plain out won't be though, but he's most likely in.
Geno's in.
Banjo isn't. RIP king.
Bruh that's 5 wtf is this black magic

Last edited:

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
The only one that’s boring to me is Inceneroar because Pokémon is honestly well represented but whatever.
Isaacs probably in
Inceneroar probably
Geno idk but probably
Skull Kid probably
Banjo...ugh I wish I’m holding out hope

D

Deleted member

The last things he's said. Claims Isaac is in, straight up.

View attachment 160385View attachment 160386
I've seen enough. His word is officially law.

EDIT: Didn't see the Banjo mention. If true, blegh...but acceptable for the others. Im not pulling for any ridiculous people like Crono (though I would love it) or a total outsider like Laharl or something; I think the safe expectations are the best things to be interested in since they're the most likely. Getting hyped on anything else is just more likely to result in a letdown even though this is the the absolute best Smash roster to date.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My opinion on the “boring” 5 as everyone is calling it now

Isaac: probably in. And I’d welcome it, I loved Golden Sun.
Incineroar: 80% chance. This is fine.
Skull Kid: 50-50. Am personally indifferent to his inclusion.
Banjo and Kazooie: 25% chance. Wouldn’t mind, but don’t see happening.
Geno: Chances indeterminate; dependent completely on Square Enix. I’m also indifferent to his inclusion as I have no personal attachment to him. I’d prefer Neku.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
My takes on the boring 5 (it wasn't four I dunno why they said it's four).

Geno's in. If he isn't i'll be surprised.
Incineroar has a really really good chance.
Isaac also has a really good chance.
Skull Kid's chances are a little less than the previous three, but still really good.
Banjo might not have good chances, but I have hope.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Ugh. Why. How is banjo boring. Who do you want?
This is honestly how I feel from most people on these boards. Sakurai is putting in the hypest characters and people are like yawn predictable.

Meanwhile last game everyone's like where are my safe predictable fan wants!

I understand these aren't always the same people so it's not hypocritical. But like those are characters from 4-5 different series...if none of them even slightly peak your interest what does intrest you in Smash? Just Yoshi? Zinith Zinith :troll:

Geno's in.
Banjo isn't. RIP king.
That's 5....

Anyway my quick view on the 5

Issac honestly does bore me, and I'm not sold on him.
Incinearoar, defintely not my Alolan pick, and he'd probably have a less intresting Moveset than a ghost Archer, but at least it's Gen 7.
Skull Kid is slowly becoming my most anticipated newcomer. I think he's in my top 5 most wanted now?
Geno would probably be fun to play as. All depends on his Moveset.
Banjo would be realllllly cool. I personally don't care for the series, but it would be great for Nintendo fans. I can see it honestly. Mabne as dlc though.

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
So I guess we're calling it the Boring 4 "tm"? Might as well give my thoughts.

Geno I think is highly likely, I'll give him 80% chance.
Incineroar, definitely the alolan mon I want the most and I say he has the best chances out of the remaining possibilities.
Skull Kid, lol chairs and pillows. Yeah I say he's very likely at this point, another 80%.
Banjo, I didn't even know there was speculation around him lol. Press X to doubt.
Oh and I guess we're adding Isaac too? Boring 5 "tm". 50/50 on him honestly.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Skull Kid feels like Chorus Kids 2.0. A character heavily speculated based on a single leak with tons of bandwagoning (Skull Kid is currently the most voted character on Reddit) and then the rug is pulled out from under the fanbase when he isn't in.

I'm also worried about Bandana Dee. His support in the west was only moderate at the time of the ballot compared to now (where he's regularly in the top 10), so it's pretty much up to Japan to save the day and get him in on sheer numbers.
More people would be disappointed because more people have experienced Majora's Mask.

The thing about nostalgia is it brings about bandwagoners who want to feel like they're "part of the club". I've encountered it so many times when an old game/cartoon/movie/comic/whatever is brought up, and someone gets extremely excited, saying, "OH, MAN, ME TOO," only to reveal shortly after that that he really doesn't know much about the topic-- or in many cases, hasn't ever played the game in question.

Super Mario RPG was on the SNES in 1996 and sold an impressive 2 million copies. But Majora's Mask released in 2000, sold nearly 3.5 million copies, and then was rereleased on the 3DS recently to the tune of 2 million more copies. Skull Kid has also been prominent in other ways, such as getting his own Nintendo-licensed figure, being a playable character in Hyrule Warriors, etc. while Geno, to my knowledge, has been more or less relegated to history, and relies on people who actually remember his game from 22 years ago, while the character Skull Kid is not only more recent, but has also been reacquainted with newer fans multiple times.

The short of it: the younger fans know who Skull Kid is, and pretend to know who Geno is.
I feel like Skull Kid might not be a guarantee. Skull Kid is one of those characters that I don't see tons of active support for. While there's a lot of people that would be happy for his inclusion, I haven't seen much active campaigning for him as some other characters. Plus much of the evidence so far from rock solid and a bit flimsy. I still think he's fairly likely, but perhaps not a lock like some are saying.

I still think Geno's getting in and is almost a lock. Maybe I'm biased but most of the things that go against Geno also applied to King K Rool and he's now in. Geno's costume even got special splash art which not even King K Rool got and Veggie Man only furthers his possibilities.

Bandanna Dee is a weird one. Everything about him seems to point to his inclusion, but my gut is just telling me no. I don't know why but I just don't have much faith in him for some reason. Considering how conservative Sakurai is with picking Kirby characters, I could him skipping on Bandanna Dee with not a ton of newcomers and focus on ones from other franchises. With that said Bandanna Dee is relevant so even if he doesn't make the base roster being a DLC tie-in to a new Kirby game is always possible.
Skull Kid is in an interesting spot; it's unlikely he did well in the ballot (as far as we can tell), but Majora's Mask is a cult classic in the Legend of Zelda series and had a remake that came out around the time of Ultimate's project proposal. Not to mention that Majora's Mask (the item) is very, very iconic.

I can imagine that almost all of the top Zelda requests (which includes characters like Skull Kid, Impa, Tetra and Vaati, among others), only did decently on the actual ballot on their own but, when brought together, did very well. This only makes sense, really, The Legend of Zelda is one of Nintendo's flagships, and the pool of characters that Smash is representing from it is extremely limited.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
This is honestly how I feel from most people on these boards. Sakurai is putting in the hypest characters and people are like yawn predictable.

Meanwhile last game everyone's like where are my safe predictable fan wants!

I understand these aren't always the same people so it's not hypocritical. But like those are characters from 4-5 different series...if none of them even slightly peak your interest what does intrest you in Smash? Just Yoshi? Zinith Zinith :troll:

That's 5....

Anyway my quick view on the 5

Issac honestly does bore me, and I'm not sold on him.
Incinearoar, defintely not my Alolan pick, and he'd probably have a less intresting Moveset than a ghost Archer, but at least it's Gen 7.
Skull Kid is slowly becoming my most anticipated newcomer. I think he's in my top 5 most wanted now?
Geno would probably be fun to play as. All depends on his Moveset.
Banjo would be realllllly cool. I can see it honestly. Mayne as dlc though.
:)

I hate to offend any Isaac supporters here, because I'm sure he's actually awesome but...yeah he really, really bores me. Glad his supporters will likely get him though.
Most of Geno's moves will have to be made up tbh.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
The last things he's said. Claims Isaac is in, straight up.

View attachment 160385View attachment 160386

Additionally, he's posted all of this before

https://mobile.twitter.com/MimiqueVEVO/status/1031378252810481665

Even if he's not an insider or knows more than he lets on, you have to admit he has an extremely good idea about what people should expect. Nearly all of his predictions before this have come true already it's kind of hilarious. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the remaining characters are from this guys lists.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
I posted about a brainstormed idea for how Rex could work last night, but then another post I made got me thinking about how Sol Badguy could work in Smash, so I decided to think on that as well.
My thought for Sol is that he tries to feel true to his roots in an anime fighter, meaning, through some means, he'd be able to airdash, giving him mobility that other characters simply don't have. You could also work in GG's burst system, possibly giving him the ability to break out of combos, but that's just an idea I haven't put much thought into.
As for his special moves, I actually have more solid ideas for them this time around.
NSpecial - Gunflame - Tap for his feint, hold for the actual projectile.
Side Special - Tap for Bandit Revolver, a general purpose quick kick that jumps Sol into the air. Hold for Bandit Bringer, an air-to-ground attack that spikes and puts the opponent into a lot of hitstun without launching them very far. A key combo starter when done with a correct read and combo tool.
USpecial - Volcanic Viper > Tataki Otoshi - Uppercut similar to Ryu's. Not a kill move, but rather a combo tool. B button can be pressed again to get the Tataki Otoshi, which spikes.
DSpecial - Grand Viper - Super low-profile attack that travels an absurd amount of distance when fully mashed out. Multi-hit and ends with a powerful uppercut, similar to Volcanic Viper, but doesn't go as high. Button can be mashed to increase distance traveled. Attack will bring Sol and his opponent offstage, similar to Oshawatt from Smash 4.
Final Smash - Dragon Install Branding Breach - The obvious choice. Would likely work like Bayo's and kill at over 100%.

For all of the special moves, you would obviously be able to use the original input from Guilty Gear to get stronger versions, just like Ryu.

Last edited:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
If the so-called "Boring 5" are in, I'll be ecstatic. I'm sure all of those characters will be a blast to play as. Then again, I'm happy with any new Smash character. Always grateful for new content.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
My thoughts on “The Big 5” (I still think anything with the word “Big” in it is bound to be stupid and generalized):

Isaac: I think people are looking waaaaaaaay too far into the Monster Hunter Tweet and he most likely didn’t make the cut, don’t mean to be a downer, but I just don’t see him happening since his series hasn’t had an installment in almost a decade, Camelot has vastly restructured as a subsidiary, and the lead artist for his game passed away. It just doesn’t seem likely, I’d love to be wrong trust me, I think he’d be really cool in Smash, I just don’t see him personally.
Incineroar: Does it really have to be Incineroar, he’s my favorite starter but it could be an Ultra Beast like Buzzwole (The idea of his has grown on me for some reason and I have no idea why). Then again I thought we’d for sure get Marshadow as the Gen 7 character, so who knows what will happen?
Skull Kid: Everything is pointing towards his inclusion, it would be a surprise if he wasn’t in at this point.
Geno: he’s probably in, despite not being very relevant, he’s been consistently popular, for a Costume, and even Sakurai wanted him in Brawl, so I’d be surprised if he wasn’t added.
Banjo and Kazooie: I mean Microsoft and Nintendo have worked before, it’s just a matter if Sakurai took initiative, I’d say 50/50 but there’s no evidence either way.

Also Bandana Dee and Dixie for Smash. (Elma too and maybe a Fiora Echo if they decide to make NPC’s playable for DLC or just say **** it she’ll be playable and non-playable)

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I like how Geno, Isaac, Skull Kid and Banjo have become boring.
Like Incineroar I get, if you don't like him or Pokemon in general you really wouldn't care.
But the rest? It's hilarious compared to where we were 10 years ago.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Imagine if people called those 4 "boring" during Smash 4 speculation, while also getting Ridley and K. Rool. Everyone would slap you silly.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Additionally, he's posted all of this before

https://mobile.twitter.com/MimiqueVEVO/status/1031378252810481665

Even if he's not an insider or knows more than he lets on, you have to admit he has an extremely good idea about what people should expect. Nearly all of his predictions before this have come true already it's kind of hilarious. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the remaining characters are from this guys lists.
Let's be real, if this guy's got an extremely good idea with Skull Kid, Geno, and Banjo, so does 80% of people.

Imagine if people called those 4 "boring" during Smash 4 speculation, while also getting Ridley and K. Rool. Everyone would slap you silly.
Luckily, this isn't Smash 4!
Fun thought, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom