• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
The Utawarerumono cast can easily mistaken to be some, so that's understandable. Granted, people in general are fuzzy about whether VNs count as video games, but I say they count as long as they're more interactive than Plumbers Don't Wear Ties.
Yeah, and Utawarerumono is only partly a VN. The other half is a SRPG or TRPG, similar to Disgaea or Fire Emblem, so that 100% makes Utawarerumono a videogame, even with all the VN stuff in it.

Chrono.

Zipzo's more credible than your usual crony.

Hard to say whether we're getting any dataminings though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yoshi's New Island was such a wonky game. It's difficulty was inconsistent with levels going from Baby's First Platformer™ to Super Ulcer Inducer 64™ without warning and the soundtrack was bad in an almost legendary sense. You could tell that they tried but it was kind of like watching a little kid repeatedly falling off a bike. Sometimes it would catch the magic of the original before forgetting how to use the brakes and flipping over on a curb. It's kind of surreal to me that freakin' Wooly World was the Yoshi game that wound up being the worthy successor to Yoshi's Island after all those years had passed.
The developers for the game are so amateurish that one of the users here was actually scared off from trying Hey! Pikmin for this reason. Makes you wonder how the producer behind all the Yoshi games thought this was a good idea. Tellingly, Arzest's current final game is a puzzle one (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/switch/213438-boost-beast/images). Rest In Pieces to them.

Woolly World is worth all those years of pain, even if Wario Land was used as a blood sacrifice for that to happen.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean, Yoshi's New Island had bad tracks, but this?
I don't even know what this is.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 160216

You're risking every biscuit you got, mister.
Here, I'll bet this right now. If we don't get another Final Fantasy song, I will re-do the entirety of Ursula's side-quest in Xenoblade 2. GO BIG OR GO HOME.

Kind of a nut punch there, but okay...
I'm sorry, after Yoshi's Story and SNES Island, New Island honestly turned me off a lot to the point where I didn't even play Yoshi's Woolly World. At least the new one looks to be alright for the most part!

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I like it. Though I can't help at imagine it offending Tumblr en mass for reasons I can't fathom.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Speaking of, I wonder if there'll be new codecs and Palutena's guidances
There definitely will (Anthony Del Rio and David Hayter, :ultpit: and :ultsnake:, wouldn’t be returning for small lines). :ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultkrool::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultlucas::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmewtwo::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultdarksamus::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultyounglink::ultzelda: are all gonna need new convos for one of or both groups (and also...:ultpit:and:ultsnake: talking together is a must)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm sorry, after Yoshi's Story and SNES Island, it honestly turned me off a lot to the point where I didn't even play Yoshi's Woolly World. At least the new one looks to be alright for the most part!
I meant the part about crossing Yoshi off and getting to the current big franchises. THAT was the nut punch.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Why are people having so much trouble finding the correct original track for the Yoshi's New Island remix, it says what it is literally on the track name lol

Art? Man, don't even act like Yoshi's Story didn't have a baller soundtrack. I ain't having none of that.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There definitely will (Anthony Del Rio and David Hayter, :ultpit: and :ultsnake:, wouldn’t be returning for small lines). :ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultkrool::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultlucas::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmewtwo::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultdarksamus::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultyounglink::ultzelda: are all gonna need new convos for one of or both groups (and also...:ultpit:and:ultsnake: talking together is a must)
Don't forget Toon Link, Pit explicitly states that there's two Links in that one.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm 30% expecting the files to read

char_cloud
char_bayo
char_nice
char_try
char_but
char_I
char_win
char_this
char_round
char_we
char_are
char_legion
char_we
char_never
char_forgive
char_we
char_never
char_forget
char_expect
char_us
char_soon

And then all the lights spontaneously go out before the burning Smash emblem appears on every monitor and screen in his house.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Second, in regards to Paper Mario, there is a better way to judge quality. Type the game into EBay and see how much its selling for. Color Splash is selling for about 25 bucks. The original Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door are selling close to $60. So which one has more value? Obviously the latter one. This is a better way to judge value than raw sales numbers.
Secondhand prices are not a definite indicator of a game's perceived quality. Higher quality games tend to have more demand and thus can raise its prices, but another big part of a game's price is its scarcity/availability, as well as other miscellaneous factors that affect the game's monetary valuable (for example just being a Gamecube game will lead to more value than being a PS2/Xbox game since the Gamecube is a lot more popular among collectors and retro enthusiasts, thus that raises demand for them). For an extreme example, Cheetahmen 2 is one of the most valuable games in existence that can sell for thousands of dollars despite being an atrociously-designed and unfinished game that isn't even beatable without glitches, since the game was never officially released and has so few copies in existence alongside the infamy behind the game.

Also, with the Wii U just being last gen while the Gamecube is retro at this point and has the aforementioned collector and retro popularity, regardless of quality your average Gamecube game will command much higher prices than your average Wii U game, just making it more unfair to use secondhand prices to argue the games' quality against each other.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
The demo is probably full of juicy information if previous Nintendo demos are of any indication. No way he dumps/datamines it though. Nintendo would probably wipe him off the face of the earth.
If Smash 4's demo was any indication, it's a very clean demo, nothing to get out of it.

But I'm pretty positive that guy's full of ****.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Why are people having so much trouble finding the correct original track for the Yoshi's New Island remix, it says what it is literally on the track name lol

Less obnoxious than the one I thought it was but still leagues better now without the strange high rasps that we're going to call kazoos for piece of mind.

D

Deleted member

I meant the part about crossing Yoshi off and getting to the current big franchises. THAT was the nut punch.
Ah, bad wording on my part. I view the current franchises in the roster, such as Yoshi, as "big franchises" and the rest whatever they may be, like Snipperclips and Galaga, when it comes to getting music.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Its been a while, but there are a few reasons
  1. The battle system is way to easy. If you paint a card, it basically makes it to the card one shots the enemy. Basically, if you play semi competently, the game is a complete cake walk. Kirby doesn't have anything on this level of non-difficulty
  2. Likewise, there is no real progression system. You get hammers that increase your paint reserves but you get paint from fighting so it doesn't matter anyway. Again, if you play semi completely you will still kill everything and have plenty of paint. Its better to avoid fights. then wasting your time getting more paint that you don't need.
  3. Lack of any character. While the writing is good, there are no characters to care about. They try and give character to some of the NPCs, but since they are nameless and look the same you don't care about them. A problem in a story driven game
  4. The structure is a mess. You bounce to different areas until you eventually find the star to go to another area and repeat. There are no side quest.
  5. Thing stickers. Basically they are these Special stickers that you need for the bosses. They are super easy once you use it on them but are basically unbeatable if you don't. After the 2nd star, the game becomes more about these than the actual game. Don't have Thing card, can't win. They are awful
  6. The game insults your intelligence. So, before the third star you have this game show you have to play. They give you a quiz and you have to solve it with the cards in your hand. But if you don't have the card, you can't solve it. I died doing the quiz because I didn't have the cards. The NPC then says to me "Oh, if only you paid someone money to give you the cards." There is an NPC that will give you the cards you need to actually progress if you give him 1,000. If that wasn't awful enough, for the 4th star, there is a big chest that says "Oh, hey, we took the treasure here. Maybe you can get it if you get every answer right in our quiz." Last time, I missed one question so I didn't get the mcguffin I needed to actually progress the game. I quit there because I didn't want to play the dumb quiz again. This alone makes Color Splash one of the worst games I've every played.
Color Splash is awful and was probably made by mentally challenged children. At least, I hope that was the case because it would be really sad and pathetic if it was made by competent adults with an IQ above Potato.
Geez that is a pain, well I'll just avoid that one then. I heard good things about TTYD, if it comes to Switch I'll check it out

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah I'm booking in my mega bull**** card on this "leak". He doesn't prove that he has access to demo outside of a home screen or anything like a sensible leaker probably would, he just shows footage that could have been replicated anywhere else. There's also the fact that I see no way that anyone can steal the ****ing demo without getting arrested. You gotta go through a whole kiosk to get to it.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
The developers for the game are so amateurish that one of the users here was actually scared off from trying Hey! Pikmin for this reason. Makes you wonder how the producer behind all the Yoshi games thought this was a good idea. Tellingly, Arzest's current final game is a puzzle one (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/switch/213438-boost-beast/images). Rest In Pieces to them.

Woolly World is worth all those years of pain, even if Wario Land was used as a blood sacrifice for that to happen.
This will never be ok with me tbh.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I hate Yoshi's New Island with a passion, but that track's actually the only good track in the game and the remix is very pleasant. I hope we get more, especially more from the SNES game, because like, how the heck is the final boss theme STILL not in Smash?? I get Yoshi has pleasant stages, but please.

Also this remix's beginning kinda reminds me of Kirby Mass Attack, even though it's done by two very different composers... (I hope Shogo Sakai does something new for this game...)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah I'm booking in my mega bull**** card on this "leak". He doesn't prove that he has access to demo outside of a home screen or anything like a sensible leaker probably would, he just shows footage that could have been replicated anywhere else. There's also the fact that I see no way that anyone can steal the ****ing demo without getting arrested. You gotta go through a whole case to get that ****.
I'm 10% predicting he starts up footage then Nintendo Ninjas kick his door down. :ultsheik::ultgreninja:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
The new Yoshi remix sounds nice.
And not sure about what people mean when they say the "Ultimate remix made it finally sound good without all the kazoos" when iirc the original song does not have kazoos lol

Enchess

Smash Lord
Yeah I'm booking in my mega bull**** card on this "leak". He doesn't prove that he has access to demo outside of a home screen or anything like a sensible leaker probably would, he just shows footage that could have been replicated anywhere else. There's also the fact that I see no way that anyone can steal the ****ing demo without getting arrested. You gotta go through a whole kiosk to get to it.
They've posted videos of specific requests. Also, they're an active user here, so maybe be a bit more polite.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They've posted videos of specific requests. Also, they're an active user here, so maybe be a bit more polite.
If you make a bad leak you suffer for it. He has done nothing to prove other than specific requests from "other users".
You wanna prove it's legit? Go to the home screen and back. Show your setup. Anything but just filming specific actions.

If he can't man up to it while ignoring half of the bigger spectrum, I'm gonna call that some cheese until the day I die.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Geez that is a pain, well I'll just avoid that one then. I heard good things about TTYD, if it comes to Switch I'll check it out
That's... quite a bit of an overreaction. The game is not an RPG and people were expecting it to be, so listing all the points like that is a huge disservice to it because it's only compared to what it not is, instead of what it actually is. Game's more puzzle/adventure than RPG and the scenarios are quite charming. The quiz part isn't even 1/4th as bad as he says (and it seems to me that while saying it was made by ******** children (really now.), it was he who couldn't grasp what to do and the whole concept to it lol). I argue that TTYD is the better game overall, but maybe see some videos and take a quick look on Color Splash, because it's nowhere like the way this person described lol.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Well technically it was Kirby first. Don't go taking it out with my boi
Fair enough, and I did not know that. As a Metroid fan as well, it just sucks when a franchise you enjoy lacks a dedicated developer, and that is something Yoshi has struggled with as well. Here's to hoping the new Yoshi is yet another great game by Good-Feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom