• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Who here's waiting for someone totally out there to be revealed so they can blow all these safe Geno, Skull Kid, Shadow, etc rosters out of the water?
Call me positive, but I just personally think there are more than 4 unique slots remaining. People could get these characters on top of the ones others want.

If not here, then DLC, but i have a feeling a lot of these "safe" characters are some of the next picks.

If you believe Loz and Vergeben, then many of these "safe" picks are already in like Ridley and K. Rool are (both of which were leaked prior to their unveilings). If you don't, then it's your prerogative to not believe it, just like those that do.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Who here's waiting for someone totally out there to be revealed so they can blow all these safe Geno, Skull Kid, Shadow, etc rosters out of the water?
The very fact that Geno is considered a safe pick is baffling. We'd be laughing stocks if we said that just a few months ago. :chuckle:

Times sure have changed.

Raging debates about old characters vs newer and more cent ones and whether or not the newcomer roster is justified in its leaning on older characters.
Except older characters aren't the focus here.

Fan-requested characters are.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm thankful things are moving as fast as they are in Smash speculation this time around, these characters haven't even been considered safe bets for a month, meanwhile with Smash 4 the general consensus was at a standstill for the grueling 6 months between E3 and Rosalina.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Call me positive, but I just personally think there are more than 4 unique slots remaining. People could get these characters on top of the ones others want.

If not here, then DLC, but i have a feeling a lot of these "safe" characters are some of the next picks.

If you believe Loz and Vergeben, then many of these "safe" picks are already in like Ridley and K. Rool are (both of which were leaked prior to their unveilings). If you don't, then it's your prerogative to not believe it, just like those that do.
When was K Rool leaked?

The only activity regarding him I recall from before the Direct was Vergeben's PMs being leaked stating he'd been told no DK newcomers.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The very fact that Geno is considered a safe pick is baffling. We'd be laughing stocks if we said that just a few months ago. :chuckle:

Times sure have changed.

Except older characters aren't the focus here.

Fan-requested characters are.
I've supported Geno for 12 years and I still don't find his chances "safe"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I feel more modern characters should be a thing, I'm tired of seeing kids get **** on for liking things so they should be fed some bones too imo. Like, yesterday I saw a bunch of old neckbeards whine about that "Kids have dancing classes for Fortnite dances" and there's always how Minecraft was hated because kids like it, They got Inklings so far but maybe another casual friendly newcomer is in order

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I feel more modern characters should be a thing, I'm tired of seeing kids get **** on for liking things so they should be fed some bones too imo. Like, yesterday I saw a bunch of old neckbeards whine about that "Kids have dancing classes for Fortnite dances" and there's always how Minecraft was hated because kids like it, They got Inklings so far but maybe another casual friendly newcomer is in order
I think the point is some people have waited to be fed some bones for over a decade. I got who I wanted with Ridley so I sympathize with them more.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
There will more than likely be a new Pokemon as well as Bandanna Dee.

What other "casual friendly newcomer" would you suggest? Because actually the arguement wasn't even about that as it was recent characters. For example Elma, a recent character wouldn't fit the casual friendly newcomer vibe at all, yet she was being aruged against Ridley , King K. Etc.

I totally think we will get more casual friendly characters, but that's mostly because Bandana Dee and a new Pokemon are two of my most predicted.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
No matter how many times this discussion goes into circles we all know where the new casual kid friendly rep is going. Stop trying to hide from your destiny people. Its happening.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

What other "casual friendly newcomer" would you suggest? Because actually the arguement wasn't even about that as it was recent characters. For example Elma, a recent character wouldn't fit the casual friendly newcomer vibe at all, yet she was being aruged against Ridley , King K. Etc.

I totally think we will get more casual friendly characters, but that's mostly because Bandana Dee and a new Pokemon are two of my most predicted.
I'm not a casual and I don't hang out with kids so I don't know what games kids really like these days. I guess a new Pokemon would be the most casual friendly though

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice

The franchise is somewhat obscure but it was decently popular during the DS era so a Rhythm Heaven Rep? Other then that, Octoling as an echo I guess.

IronTed

Smash Ace
To be fair, how many iconic characters has Nintendo created between 2010 and 2015? Bar Splatoon and Animal Crossing (the latter of which was early this century), every one of Nintendo's current big IP's originate from the 20th century, and their output for much of this decade has been sparse. Even for Splatoon, the inkling may be popular, but it's not the same as an actual character like Mario. The modern well is simply not very deep.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd feel better about the older vs modern character thing if it wasn't for the fact that the older fans feel threatened by the newer picks and vice versa.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Pokemon are always a good compromise. Younger kids get someone who they can recognize, and older fans get a character from a popular franchise.

After that, I'd say Mario and Kirby newcomers or someone from a newer IP like Splatoon or ARMS would be a good pick for casuals.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd feel better about the older vs modern character thing if it wasn't for the fact that the older fans feel threatened by the newer picks and vice versa.
It might be specifically because of Sakurai's comment not to expect too many characters

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
pokemon and fire emblem are often given exception because they are fast moving series with a lot of characters, usually the next game in the series will have it's own unique set of characters, the main difference is that pokemon is arguably the biggest series not called mario (I would argue as a whole franchise, it makes Zelda look tiny) and there's been quite a variety of character archetypes for it.

I hope echoes give the opportunity to let them slap the main swordsman #500 character as a clone and give the newcomer role to someone who can truly provide a new playstyle, sorta like what smash 4 did shoving chrom and lucina to the side for robin.

Series staples first. Then one shots. If there is no series staples, thenmost popular first.

Aside from that, then it falls down to the numbers. Nothing more.

Zelda has 5 characters. Xenoblade has 1.

As for wants. I want hyrule warriors midna. So cool with psychic wolves.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I said this awhile ago back when people were asking why there was so much hate towards third parties.

People that have been supporting obscure nintendo reps since the beginning of time feel threatened by hot new ****, or much bigger names from other companies, its just a fact.

There is an actual limit to the new comers we can get, if there wasn't Sakurai would've given us Mach Rider and Geno and many others by now, as they're the picks HE wanted and even he had to limit himself.

Its no surprise there's some animosity then in who deserves the spot more

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
How about a game until a new major leak pops up? (I have an odd hunch we'll know everything about the game by late September and a September or October direct will confirm some big controversial leak)

You can add up to 4 new characters, literally anyone you want that has appeared in a video game before (yes, even shrek or Goku, but preferably from a Nintendo console game or handheld), but you have to axe a character from each previous SSB game.

To get your first character, you must remove someone from Smash for Wii U/3DS. That character will also no longer appear in Ultimate so choose carefully!! To get your second character, you now also have to remove a character from Brawl (and they wouldn't appear in any future games, including Ultimate!). To get your third character, go back to Melee, and if you want that final character you need to axe an original 12.

You can choose to add up to 4, but don't need to add 4. I'll go now as an example:

Character 1: Banjo-Kazooie
Character to Cut for Banjo-Kazooie (reminder, first character cut is from Wii U/3DS and is also removed from Ultimate): Dark Pit
Character 2: Doom-Guy
Character to be cut for Doom-Guy: Toon Link
Character 3: Sylux
Character to be cut for Sylux: Pichu
Character 4: N/A
Character to be cut for N/A: Not Applicable (Never want to cut an original 12 personally)

I want to see who you guys would want to add and who you would remove to get them.
1. Add Banjo & Kazooie, cut Dark Pit (Wii U)
2. Add Crash, cut Toon Link (Brawl)
3. Add Joker, cut Dr. Mario (Melee)
4. N/A

Wasn't very difficult as I have no problem cutting redundant clones. And really, after Banjo, there's no character I necessarily need, and could have stopped after cutting Dark Pit. Picking a third character was a bit tricky as I wanted to add some variety to the roster, rather than picking from series we already have, and I feel like Persona should be represented in some form. It's great that with the roster we currently have, it's tough to come up with characters that I want.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
No matter how many times this discussion goes into circles we all know where the new casual kid friendly rep is going. Stop trying to hide from your destiny people. Its happening.

The moon is crashing fellas.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
To be fair, how many iconic characters has Nintendo created between 2010 and 2015? Bar Splatoon and Animal Crossing (the latter of which was early this century), every one of Nintendo's current big IP's originate from the 20th century, and their output for much of this decade has been sparse. Even for Splatoon, the inkling may be popular, but it's not the same as an actual character like Mario. The modern well is simply not very deep.

And yes I know that ARMS exists.
You left ARMS alone by saying up into 2015, and then took a stand at it at the end for no reason.

Do people really think it didn't do well? Unless the developers decide to move on I don't see why they wouldn't continue the series, they're clearly passionate about it and it did well.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You left ARMS alone by saying up into 2015, and then took a stand at it at the end for no reason.

Do people really think it didn't do well? Unless the developers decide to move on I don't see why they wouldn't continue the series, they're clearly passionate about it and it did well.
I haven't looked into it, but I keep hearing that ARMS didn't do well.

D

Deleted member

Times sure have changed..
I remember that I made posts back in March and April saying things like "Most of the 3rd parties will probably be cut" and "I highly doubt fan requested characters will make it in, the ballot meant nothing". I was suuuuuuper pessimistic, lol.

Needless to say, I'm overjoyed at how wrong I was. :D

D

Deleted member

I still find it incredibly silly to act like Smash 4 "focused on new characters" when the characters who debutted before Brawl were:
-Villager
-Wii Fit
-Mega Man
-Little Mac
-Miis
-Rosalina and Luma
-Palutena
-Pac-Man
-Bowser Jr.
-Duck Hunt

And half of those debutted before Smash 64 itself.
Greninja, Robin, Lucina, Shulk and Dark Pit were the only "new" characters in terms of age.

IronTed

Smash Ace

I just wanted to cover my bases, but I guess it was unnecessary. And I am far from the legions of "ARMS bombed lol" trolls.

Edit: PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate the game did fine, unless you expected a brand new fighter to achieve Mario Kart levels of sales.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Apparently it sold about even with 1-2 switch, and fifth biggest selling first party title on the switch (at least 9 months ago).

Some consider that a big success and others don't, I don't really know personally

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It sold more then 2 million copies and its still selling.

People make up the boldest lies about ARMS and I have no idea why.

Chrono.

How about a game until a new major leak pops up? (I have an odd hunch we'll know everything about the game by late September and a September or October direct will confirm some big controversial leak)

You can add up to 4 new characters, literally anyone you want that has appeared in a video game before (yes, even shrek or Goku, but preferably from a Nintendo console game or handheld), but you have to axe a character from each previous SSB game.

To get your first character, you must remove someone from Smash for Wii U/3DS. That character will also no longer appear in Ultimate so choose carefully!! To get your second character, you now also have to remove a character from Brawl (and they wouldn't appear in any future games, including Ultimate!). To get your third character, go back to Melee, and if you want that final character you need to axe an original 12.

You can choose to add up to 4, but don't need to add 4. I'll go now as an example:

Character 1: Banjo-Kazooie
Character to Cut for Banjo-Kazooie (reminder, first character cut is from Wii U/3DS and is also removed from Ultimate): Dark Pit
Character 2: Doom-Guy
Character to be cut for Doom-Guy: Toon Link
Character 3: Sylux
Character to be cut for Sylux: Pichu
Character 4: N/A
Character to be cut for N/A: Not Applicable (Never want to cut an original 12 personally)

I want to see who you guys would want to add and who you would remove to get them.
Character 1: Tails
Character to cut: Dr. Mario (Wii U)
Character 2: Ray 01
Character to cut: Wolf (Brawl)
Character 3: Lloyd Irving
Character to cut: Pichu (Melee)

Oof.

D

Deleted member

ARMS sold two million copies. I believe that constitutes as successful.
It ****ing sold more than the entire EO series did in 10 years lmao how does Atlus keeps this thing alive I'm gonna go cry in a corner over there.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
What? We were the kids who got **** on, lady!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom