• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Characters being chosen from a ballot where he is likely to have scored high. The head of Microsoft has been vocal about his support for the idea. Requested for as long as Geno. Naw. 5% sounds right.
Actively competing with Microsoft still bumps him down quite a bit. Literally nothing in it for Nintendo unless Microsoft supports them in some fashion.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm imagining getting Elma in the base game and Rex & Pyra as DLC and then people will be claiming Xenoblade bias.
GET THIS ANIME OUT OF MY SMASH BROTHERS RIGHT NOWWWWWWWW

In all seriousness I think one rep for each of the three games isn't on the same level of :ultlucina::ultrobin:ultchrom: "wow that's a lot of awakening"

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
A few problems with that.

1. That's because Phil was specifically asked about Banjo. What do you think he would've said if he was asked about who he wants? What about any other Microsoft character? He never said he only wanted Banjo.

2. The length of your requests isn't equal to your playability status. See Takamaru or Waluigi.

Yeah, but.....5%? Come on. I don't think it's gonna happen myself, but it's got possible all over it.

Wambo

Smash Ace
GET THIS ANIME OUT OF MY SMASH BROTHERS RIGHT NOWWWWWWWW
"ARE YOU MEMEING AGAIN, SON?!?"

I have no problem with the Fire Emblem characters now that we have enough characters from other IPs to balance them out, but having so many in Smash 4 was annoying. I like non-human characters like K.Rool/Geno, and the absence of that variety ruined the game for me.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah, but.....5%? Come on. I don't think it's gonna happen myself, but it's got possible all over it.
5% in what? A fansite? An North American-based fansite? That's supposed to dominate over the fact that in Japan, Banjo Kazooie's sales were merely 1/4 of that in the West? Ridley I understand as people see as the Western hero of the game, as the same was with Little Mac in 4. However, for people who really wanted Ridley and wouldn't mind Banjo for the Smash Ballot, what makes you think they would choose Banjo over Ridley? I know this example is stretching a bit, but my point is that some votes took more priority than others more like.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
That's a good catch. I'm going to do some research if there's any Square Enix mention on the back of the packaging or elsewhere. It could be possible that Disney is simple the distributor of the merchandise in that region. I live in Tokyo and Kingdom Hearts merchandise can be found and purchased in the Square Enix café in Akihabara. This material has Square Enix labels on it. Thanks bringing this post to our attention. I'll also have to read more up on the ownership and development of Kingdom Hearts.

Edit: Emailed my PR contact from Square Enix an inquiry on Kingdom Hearts as well as Sora brand management and ownership. Not sure if I'll get an answer, let alone one relevant to this situation, but hopefully we can learn a bit more on the the 3rd party situation it's in.
I don't know how much of it is rumor or definitive, but when I researched it, it appears a representative of Disney (vice manager of Disney Japan?), Justin Scarpone, was asked who owned the rights, and he said Disney primarily does, though if Nintendo asked for Sora to be in Smash they would ask Tetsuya Nomura for permission. I had always assumed it's a mixture, though, and all parties would be involved at some point. So I had changed my thought process on Sora's likeliness--it's certainly possible from a legal standpoint. That being said, Sora's popularity in 2015 while usually in the top ten, tended to be lower than the other third parties.

Take with a grain of salt tho--I tried verifying it, as it's not an area I'm very familiar with, but couldn't find anything reputable backing it up.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Id say when it comes to likely characters in the base game there that havent been deconfirmed and arent 3rd party are

Isaac
Geno (weird gray area)
Elma
New Gen 7 Pokemon or just a new pokemon in general
Ken Echo
Shadow Echo
Medusa Echo
Isabelle Echo
Skull Kid
Dixie Echo
Black Knight Echo (I dont think hes likely tbh but still including him here)

3rd party characters are where the wild cards are since outside of Banjo its really honestly anyones game if there even will be anymore
Why Elma over Paper Mario? Yes, this is specific, but I need answers. Every day is pain.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Predicting who will be in this game is far easier than previous games due to a mix of
1. We are actually running out of characters LOL
2. Everyone is back
3. A TON of characters have already been deconfirmed thanks to the firing squad that is the assist trophies
4. Character voice actors speaking up or developers talking about so we now know they arent in due to contracts meaning that they couldnt do that till theyre revealed (Celica sadly, and Dante as two examples)
5. Echo fighters, despite still up in the air, have clear definable traits that make it easy to pick the very small number of non redudent and realistic options we have here

The ONLY wild card is 3rd party reps but I have a feeling we wont be getting anymore until DLC considering how much 3rd party stuff is in and all the castlevania stuff we got.

Wambo

Smash Ace
For real though, I thought about it a few days ago and I wouldn't mind seeing Chrono in Smash. It'd be the one cool and logical way to get an Akira Toriyama character who isn't Goku into Smash and make everyone happy.
Crono.jpg

If/when Geno gets in, I think this is who we should push for next Smash or Ultimate DLC.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
5% in what? A fansite? An North American-based fansite? That's supposed to dominate over the fact that in Japan, Banjo Kazooie's sales were merely 1/4 of that in the West? Ridley I understand as people see as the Western hero of the game, as the same was with Little Mac in 4. However, for people who really wanted Ridley and wouldn't mind Banjo for the Smash Ballot, what makes you think they would choose Banjo over Ridley? I know this example is stretching a bit, but my point is that some votes took more priority than others more like.
5% of I don't know. That was a random percentage given representing what they think Banjo's chances are. I'm not saying he is even likely. I just think he's more likely than that. That's all that was said, more or less.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Listen, listen, I know I talk about him once a day, but seriously, why does everyone keep forgetting Paper Mario?

It's every list now. Geno, Bandana Dee, Isaac, then like one or two more "OBVIOUS reps"....conveniently leaving out Paper Mario.

Y'know.
The 5th most wanted newcomer here. (love you SSB4Dojo)
Out of over 44K votes.
Who has been frequently discussed since the Smash 4 days.
And is one of the most prominent first party IP's not represented through a character.

Wanting this piece of paper is suffering.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We got most important anime got in already.

:ultryu: = Dragon Ball
:ultmegaman: = Astro Boy
:ultfalcon: = Speed Racer
:ultsimon::ultrichter: = JoJo

All we need is Fist of the North Star. Which would be Mach Rider I guess.
Don't forget the classic
:ultshulk: = Attack on Titan ooo kill em

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Smash has a anime like art style probably to help make all the characters fit together and make it easier to animate/design.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't know how much of it is rumor or definitive, but when I researched it, it appears a representative of Disney (vice manager of Disney Japan?), Justin Scarpone, was asked who owned the rights, and he said Disney primarily does, though if Nintendo asked for Sora to be in Smash they would ask Tetsuya Nomura for permission. I had always assumed it's a mixture, though, and all parties would be involved at some point. So I had changed my thought process on Sora's likeliness--it's certainly possible from a legal standpoint. That being said, Sora's popularity in 2015 while usually in the top ten, tended to be lower than the other third parties.

Take with a grain of salt tho--I tried verifying it, as it's not an area I'm very familiar with, but couldn't find anything reputable backing it up.
Sora had a pretty big backing during the ballot. I remember most of, if not the entire Kingdom Hearts community rallying behind Sora. Even the major Kingdom Hearts youtubers got in on it and were tweeting about voting Sora in the ballot a bunch. I'd say Sora had a larger presence than other third parties, especially among casual fans that don't frequent sites like Smashboards or participate in fan polls like the many conducting during the Ballot. I'd also say he had great popularity in Japan, where Kingdom Hearts is very popular. Here are two ballot era posts about Sora in Smash.

Even now posts about Sora in Smash Bros. get thousands of upvotes on reddit, and that's one community. HMK asked a Disney executive about Sora getting in Smash Bros. and said that it's something that the fans want to his face. That was a couple of months ago. More recently, Sora made a Top 5 list of characters expected to be in Smash Bros. by a major Japanese publication. Here are two modern era posts about Sora in Smash. One of them is ZeRo, a prominent figure in the community who holds a moderate amount of fan sway, publicly saying that he supports him.

If you take a look at the logistical side, it goes like this.

Sakurai: "Hey Normura can I add Sora into Smash Ultimate?"
Normura: "Yeah bro. Sounds cool."
*Normura goes to Disney*
Normura: "Hey so I talked to Sakurai about adding Sora into Smash Ultimate and gave him the okay. Ball's in your court now. Bye."
*Disney starts sweating pennies*
Disney: "Hey so we're going to watch over you to make sure that Sora is faithful to the source material. That okay?"
Sakurai: "Yeah that's cool. I've worked with Konami and Square Enix so you guys shouldn't be too bad."
*Sakurai works on Sora, is mostly true to source material except for some minor areas where Disney pitches in*
Sakurai: "Cool we're done. Time to reveal him and go break the internet again."
Disney: "Cool. Nice making money doing business with you."
*Sakurai makes finger guns at Disney, to which Disney awkwardly reciprocates*

There's a reason that I believe Sora is going to be one of, if not the first DLC character for this game. He's too big not to be.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Listen, listen, I know I talk about him once a day, but seriously, why does everyone keep forgetting Paper Mario?

It's every list now. Geno, Bandana Dee, Isaac, then like one or two more "OBVIOUS reps"....conveniently leaving out Paper Mario.

Y'know.
The 5th most wanted newcomer here. (love you SSB4Dojo)
Out of over 44K votes.
Who has been frequently discussed since the Smash 4 days.
And is one of the most prominent first party IP's not represented through a character.

Wanting this piece of paper is suffering.
Because people are waiting for Geno. If Geno is revealed, I can see more people diverting their attentions towards other characters like Paper Mario.

MainJPW

M.T.A
For real though, I thought about it a few days ago and I wouldn't mind seeing Chrono in Smash. It'd be the one cool and logical way to get an Akira Toriyama character who isn't Goku into Smash and make everyone happy.

If/when Geno gets in, I think this is who we should push for next Smash or Ultimate DLC.
This is what I keep saying. Chrono would be amazing and bring his godlike theme. You know I always have to post the theme.

I don't think he's our only option for a Toriyama character, there's also Dragon Quest Eight's Hero who I assume is the most popular one?

But I want Chrono... still.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Because people are waiting for Geno. If Geno is revealed, I can see more people diverting their attentions towards other characters like Paper Mario.
Dear lord, after Geno is revealed, you know what I expect? Isaac. After that? Skull Kid. Both in full force. After Skull Kid? Then they're gonna come up with someone else who's SUCH an OBVIOUS FAN-FAVORITE PICK! /s.

I'm a bit jaded these days, when it comes to Paper Mario.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Dear lord, after Geno is revealed, you know what I expect? Isaac. After that? Skull Kid. Both in full force. After Skull Kid? Then they're gonna come up with someone else who's SUCH an OBVIOUS FAN-FAVORITE PICK! /s.

I'm a bit jaded these days.
Well, it doesn't help Mario has so many reps that originate from his series. Even though Paper Mario would be unique.

Wambo

Smash Ace
This is what I keep saying. Chrono would be amazing and bring his godlike theme. You know I always have to post the theme.

I don't think he's our only option for a Toriyama character, there's also Dragon Quest Eight's Hero who I assume is the most popular one?

But I want Chrono... still.
Erdrick would also be another cool Dragon Quest rep and could represent the beginning of the series (if my memory is correct, he was first mentioned in Dragon Warrior for the NES). But agreed, I'd still prefer Chrono over either of them.

(Again, only after Geno.)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Sora had a pretty big backing during the ballot. I remember most of, if not the entire Kingdom Hearts community rallying behind Sora. Even the major Kingdom Hearts youtubers got in on it and were tweeting about voting Sora in the ballot a bunch. I'd say Sora had a larger presence than other third parties, especially among casual fans that don't frequent sites like Smashboards or participate in fan polls like the many conducting during the Ballot. I'd also say he had great popularity in Japan, where Kingdom Hearts is very popular. Even now posts about Sora in Smash Bros. get thousands of upvotes on reddit, and that's one community. HMK asked a Disney executive about Sora getting in Smash Bros. and said that it's something that the fans want to his face. That was a couple of months ago. More recently, Sora made a Top 5 list of characters expected to be in Smash Bros. by a major Japanese publication.

*Normura goes to Disney*
Normura: "Hey so I talked to Sakurai about adding Sora into Smash Ultimate and gave him the okay. Ball's in your court now. Bye."
Disney: "Hey so we're going to watch over you to make sure that Sora is faithful to the source material. That okay?"
Sakurai: "Yeah that's cool."
*Sakurai works on Sora, is mostly true to source material except for some minor areas where Disney pitches in*

There's a reason that I believe Sora is going to be one of, if not the first DLC character for this game. He's too big not to be.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Disney not want their KH characters fighting each other? Which is why Dissidia is FF, and not KH?
Wouldn't that extend to Sora fighting others?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Sora had a pretty big backing during the ballot. I remember most of, if not the entire Kingdom Hearts community rallying behind Sora. Even the major Kingdom Hearts youtubers got in on it and were tweeting about voting Sora in the ballot a bunch. I'd say Sora had a larger presence than other third parties, especially among casual fans that don't frequent sites like Smashboards or participate in fan polls like the many conducting during the Ballot. I'd also say he had great popularity in Japan, where Kingdom Hearts is very popular. Even now posts about Sora in Smash Bros. get thousands of upvotes on reddit, and that's one community. HMK asked a Disney executive about Sora getting in Smash Bros. and said that it's something that the fans want to his face. That was a couple of months ago. More recently, Sora made a Top 5 list of characters expected to be in Smash Bros. by a major Japanese publication.

*Normura goes to Disney*
Sakurai: "Yeah that's cool."

I completely agree, which is why I also consider Sora perfect as a DLC character. But I can only go based off of the evidence I have when looking at their popularity back in 2015 *in relation to the base game chances*, and while Sora was consistently in the top 10, often not the highest (and in the SG one in particular measuring popularity in Japan was in the 30s). Sora's popularity for Smash has gotten bigger over time, which is why I consider Sora more likely for DLC than other third party characters.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Disney not want their KH characters fighting each other? Which is why Dissidia is FF, and not KH?
Nah dude it's a party game they're partying
yeah
totally

Wambo

Smash Ace
While we're on the topic of Square Enix characters... I really need to hear this in Smash if a Dragon Quest character ever made it in. Dragon Quest 9 was the first one I played and I'm forever in love with this theme.

I hope Nintendo and Square get back on good terms so we can see Geno, Chrono, and DQ characters alongside Cloud. Seriously, imagine if they went all-out with someone like Chrono like they did with Simon...

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/30/dissidia-final-fantasy-originated-from-kingdom-hearts/
Normura said:
However, deciding it would be a bad idea to make Disney characters fight each other, it never materialized for KH and ended up shifting to FF.
It wasn't Disney, but NORMURA who decided not to make it a KH fighting game. That's one of the major misconceptions about Sora being in Smash Bros, and I hate to see it so widespread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom