• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
Incineroar is the 2nd best fire starter visually only behind Blaziken.

Blaziken > Incineroar > Charizard > Typhlosion > Infernape > Delphox > Emboar
Nice opinion mate. I'd go with Infernape over all of them though and that's from a genwunner.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Also b/c most people leave movesets out of these discussions. There's really only one other character, bar Incineroar, that could have been given a wrestling moveset. That's Travis Touchdown - and that isn't even a Nintendo character, among other things.
I agree. However, there IS Starman from Urban Champion... No one cares about him though...

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Nice opinion mate. I'd go with Infernape over all of them though and that's from a genwunner.
I like Emboar. Not even being a troll. He reminds me of OG Ganon and thatMs the closest I have to being able to play him.
Poor ol’ piggy.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I agree. However, there IS Starman from Urban Champion... No one cares about him though...
*Starman from Pro Wrestling

But really though, Starman and Mach Rider would still be fun classic character ideas.

After Geno.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I like Emboar. Not even being a troll. He reminds me of OG Ganon and thatMs the closest I have to being able to play him.
Poor ol’ piggy.
The pig and the monkey are a set

Sun Wukong and Piggsy

*Starman from Pro Wrestling

But really though, Starman and Mach Rider would still be fun classic character ideas.

After Geno.
Dang... you right.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Actually, Starman is from Pro Wrestling, but even then that'd really be putting in a character for the sake of it. I don't think it's proper to assume we're going to have a "Nintendo History" character because...

Melee:
Ice Climbers - Retro
G&W - History

Brawl:
Pit - Retro
R.O.B. - History

4:
Duck Hunt - History

So... yeah. Don't get me wrong; Nintendo's Pro Wrestling was a neat game, but I'd just rather see more variants on the boxing ring as references and call it a day.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Actually, Starman is from Pro Wrestling, but even then that'd really be putting in a character for the sake of it. I don't think it's proper to assume we're going to have a "Nintendo History" character because...

Melee:
Ice Climbers - Retro
G&W - History

Brawl:
Pit - Retro
R.O.B. - History

4:
Duck Hunt - History

So... yeah. Don't get me wrong; Nintendo's Pro Wrestling was a neat game, but I'd just rather see more variants on the boxing ring as references and call it a day.
You're absolutely right.

The popular an or obvious wrestler character right now IS Incenaroar.

I like the idea of the Battle Royale stage from Sun/Moon.

Also a trailer of him fighting Pikachu Libre would be sick.

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537
If we DID get a Nintendo History character I was thinking the little yellow square guy from the 3DS AR Games. There's actually quite a lot of games to pull a moveset from with him.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd really like to know realistically how many characters are left

Are they just going to unload characters in the final direct or are they going to include more characters in other promotions from here until December?

Or is there really only going to be like 2 newcomers and 2 echoes left

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pokken. That's literally why.

A lot of discussion in these threads sheep off of each other, but, the two serious contenders should have always been Incineroar and Decidueye (with Lycanroc following a slight third) - People instantly took him being in Pokken though as a "Well, if he's in Pokken, he must be in Smash, right?!" when, of the Pokemon in Smash, only half of them are on the Pokken Roster (Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario, Charizard, arguably Blastoise b/c Squirtle). One of my friends even tried to shut that down when I brought up the Verge discussions by claiming "Ultra beasts!" but TPC helps pick a character by who's going to be their marketing slave; not who's going to be well for the games.

Also b/c most people leave movesets out of these discussions. There's really only one other character, bar Incineroar, that could have been given a wrestling moveset. That's Travis Touchdown - and that isn't even a Nintendo character, among other things.

edit: Someone also brought up the removal of the Pokemon Trainer and yeah... him being back kinda messes with things too.
Let's not forget that there's the Wrestler from Rhythm Heaven, as well as some of the characters from Pro Wrestling. Though I don't know if Pro Wrestling is 1st party.

Not against Incineroar myself, just pointing these out.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Also I've said this before but: Greninja was like, a big frontrunner during Pokken speculation b/c of Smash. Not that Pokken speculation lasted that long, but it was killed pretty quickly.

Honestly, my guess was on Chesnaught for that game

>_>
Greninja not in Pokken confuses me to this day. At least I got Sceptile.
————————————————
I realized both GoldenYuitusin and Delzethin are both in this thread,
D04802B9-1721-4CA2-A6DA-EBA09DA2EE3D.gif

(Plz be civil)
but I need some sleep first.

Good night everyone! This was one heck of a night.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
You're absolutely right.

The popular an or obvious wrestler character right now IS Incenaroar.

I like the idea of the Battle Royale stage from Sun/Moon.

Also a trailer of him fighting Pikachu Libre would be sick.
Pretty much - I just want to see a bunch of stage variants for boxing ring (For example, King D3's ring, that I'm shocked we didn't see) but we'll see. It's also nice to finally have a wrestler in Smash Bros since, out of the whole moveset, we really don't have one.

I don't want people to sheep on me, either - people are free to disagree. I just want people to think about this stuff far more as "characters" than "reps". I saw a Golden Sun discussion once go on for five pages littered with false information. I'm just a guy who's been around since Brawl speculation who just wants Incineroar, Isaac, and Geno lol.

Masked Man and Daroach would be cool too but I ain't expecting jack on those LOL

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon

Melee:
Ice Climbers - Retro
G&W - History

Brawl:
Pit - Retro
R.O.B. - History

4:
Duck Hunt - History

Despite not being a playable character in Duck Hunt, I would argue Duck Hunt Duo as more of a retro character than a historical character. For Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, I'm still holding out for Ayumi Tachibana from Famicom Detective Club as the retro rep. I'm not terribly optimistic, however.

Ayumi.jpg
Image Source: NewVillainWorld

As I've already mentioned in her support thread, with the inclusion of other Melee cutting room floor content, such as Ditto and Sakupon, I'd be very excited in the inclusion of Ayumi Tachibana.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

————————————————
View attachment 159680
(Plz be civil)

Jokes on you, I'm going to bed too. :V
So, Date got disconfirmed for Smash...
Surprised Date was even in the running.
Would have thought the Warriors/Musou rep was ALWAYS going to be Lu Bu. :V

EDIT: I am well aware of the irony of making a typo when joking about another typo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wambo

Smash Ace
Honestly I just kinda want one super direct where they just unload absolutely everything left to show
Same. I'd love it if Sakurai showed off a list of a buncha empty slots at the start of the direct, showing us the number of remaining characters, and then every now and then throughout the direct, randomly played a newcomer trailer/Echo gameplay and added that character to one of the empty slots.

Like a "final countdown" sort of thing.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
————————————————
View attachment 159680
(Plz be civil)

Both Golden and Delzethin understand where I'm coming from and know I've speculated Smash for a longgg while and I've said unpopular things many times - I'm not always right, either, but they'll definitely get what I was going at.

Let's not forget that there's the Wrestler from Rhythm Heaven, as well as some of the characters from Pro Wrestling. Though I don't know if Pro Wrestling is 1st party.

Not against Incineroar myself, just pointing these out.
Okay, sure, let's talk about them. Since Pro Wrestling would be more "NES Fanservice" and the Wrestler would be Rhythm Heaven, let's talk about those. Now, if there were any big titular characters like Little Mac, we'd be having a bit of a different discussion

Pro Wrestling - There's multiple routes to go for from an NES character that... can't really be emulated by any other character. Say, Mach Rider - Do you think we can really have anyone who'd do what he does on the roster? Excitebiker? Heck, even Prince Sable? We could go down the list, but...

Rhythm Heaven - Not any offense to Wrestler or Karate Joe, but it's probable that even though they could be in their movesets, they'll go with something that showcases the comedic goofiness that is Rhythm Heaven better - We already know the Chorus Kids were an idea at some point during Smash for 3DS and Wii U.

Incineroar - A popular Pokemon with a design widely considered "cool" that will be shoved down our throats because TPC wills it that definitely holds his own (to a degree) against the popularly requested characters.

If we're bringing up all choices, sure. If we look at it further, Pro Wrestling and Rhythm Heaven are choices, but are pretty improbable as that. Not impossible - however. Anyone who knows me knows I try not to discount any option unless it's absurd; there's just good reasons we say "Well, Incineroar's like the only one people widely want"*

* = By widely want, I mean the want for a new Pokemon is there.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'd really like to know realistically how many characters are left

Are they just going to unload characters in the final direct or are they going to include more characters in other promotions from here until December?

Or is there really only going to be like 2 newcomers and 2 echoes left
I think we'll be getting 8-9, including echoes. My reasoning, the same as others, is that on the blog they've been showcasing an average of 3 characters per week. The characters shown on the blog are at 69 characters right now (Mii Fighters and Pokemon trainer count as one each, echoes count), with 26 weeks from E3 to release. By week 23, roughly 69 characters characters would be shown off, leaving room for around 9 characters, including echoes, that have yet to be announced to be shown off. Of course, take this with a grain of salt as they could change their pattern by showing off 6 characters in the last week, or only 1 for all we know. But it is a pattern worth noting. My prediction is 4 more unique newcomers and 4 more echoes.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
If I had to give an honest prediction at this point I'd say
1. Incenaroar
2. Skull Kid
3. Geno

Echos;
1. Ken
2. Shadow
3. Isabelle

DLC:
Banjo
Sora

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So I was looking up movesets for Skull Kid and they are surprisingly similar to what we have as an idea for Geno

Including having a beam as his neutral special and having somewhat ranged attacks. Geno attacking with his guns and Skull Kid attacking with Tatl and Tael.

Makes me wonder if Sakurai would consider two similar characters in Smash, moveset-wise

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Another thing on why being put in Pokken prolly doesn't mean too much: There's some popular choices there, but a lot of them are moveset based. The thing people forgot about Primaria and Incineroar was that the game already had Pokemon kinda like them. Primaria, we at least had Empoleon, and with Incineroar, we had Machamp.

y'know it's funny because i never realized that until sitting down and actually thinking "wait, how did they choose decidueye" but then I remembered "oh yeah; everyone in that game is a gimmick."

EDIT: Pokken's characters, unlike Smash, have literally no clones.

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Same. I'd love it if Sakurai showed off a list of a buncha empty slots at the start of the direct, showing us the number of remaining characters, and then every now and then throughout the direct, randomly played a newcomer trailer/Echo gameplay and added that character to one of the empty slots.

Like a "final countdown" sort of thing.
God that would be just the best ever

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Another thing on why being put in Pokken prolly doesn't mean too much: There's some popular choices there, but a lot of them are moveset based. The thing people forgot about Primaria and Incineroar was that the game already had Pokemon kinda like them. Primaria, we at least had Empoleon, and with Incineroar, we had Machamp.

y'know it's funny because i never realized that until sitting down and actually thinking "wait, how did they choose decidueye" but then I remembered "oh yeah; everyone in that game is a gimmick."

EDIT: Pokken's characters, unlike Smash, have literally no clones.
But it DOES have literal clones

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Despite not being a playable character in Duck Hunt, I would argue Duck Hunt Duo as more of a retro character than a historical character. For Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, I'm still holding out for Ayumi Tachibana from Famicom Detective Club as the retro rep. I'm not terribly optimistic, however.

View attachment 159681
Image Source: NewVillainWorld

As I've already mentioned in her support thread, with the inclusion of other Melee cutting room floor content, such as Ditto and Sakupon, I'd be very excited in the inclusion of Ayumi Tachibana.
...no duck hunt was most definitely a historic character instead of the Retro Character; I can assure you of that much. You can make the case that they were double dipping, though, which isn't wrong.

That said, I hope to see Ayumi Tachibana in the game in some form.

by the way, abolish the word rep. Kill it with fire.

But it DOES have literal clones
THAT'S THE BEST PART

i love pokken lol it's such a silly game. One of the few I own on the Wii U and the Switch.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
i love pokken lol it's such a silly game. One of the few I own on the Wii U and the Switch.
I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Only way my respect could rise higher is if you were a Garchomp main.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still want to get Pokken because of Blastoise

But I don't want to download paid DLC on my friend's Switch.

Then I don't get it...I'd be paying for him to get it

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So I've been thinking about Skull Kid. And the more I think about him, the more it doesn't make any sense for him to be a newcomer.

Well for one, a lot of these newcomers are based on popularity. And yes, Skull Kid is popular, but he's not as popular as Midna. She has a much bigger and more vocal fanbase. You'd think the next unique Zelda fighter would be her.

Then there is moveset potential. Skull Kid doesn't have a lot going for him. In his game he mostly just floats there waiting for the moon to drop. We know that he curses people too... But that's it. It seemed like even Hyrule Warriors had a hard time thinking up a moveset for him as it's surprisingly lame compared to other characters. But do you know what Zelda character does have a lot of moveset potential? Midna. That magic hair hand has so much going for it. She can also teleport and summon large objects. Why the heck would they choose Skull Kid over the much more viable and popular choice?

Look I'm not even a Midna fan. I don't even care to see her as a fighter. But I can't deny that she was the best choice for a newcomer.

But because she is an Assist, I'm assuming we are either not going to get anyone new for Zelda, or we will just get an echo fighter. The idea that we are indeed getting Skull Kid is just baffling.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Pokken makes me glad for how simple Smash is...
pokemon is the case A exhibit argument I use whenever anyone says "I want all the characters to be Unique!"

Unique Character =/= Proven Idea

Not that I'm saying Pokken is bad, but Pokken definitely has a barrier of entry, especially if you desire to play as every character well.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
So I've been thinking about Skull Kid. And the more I think about him, the more it doesn't make any sense for him to be a newcomer.

Well for one, a lot of these newcomers are based on popularity. And yes, Skull Kid is popular, but he's not as popular as Midna. She has a much bigger and more vocal fanbase. You'd think the next Zelda rep would be her.

Then there is moveset potential... Skull Kid doesn't have a lot going for him. In his game he mostly just floats there waiting for the moon to drop. We knkw that he curses people too... But that's it. It seemed like even Hyrule Warriors had a hard time thinking up a moveset for him as it's surprisingly lame compared to other characters. But do you know what Zelda character doeshave a lot of moveset potential. Midna. That magic hair hand has so much going for it. She can also teleport and summon large objects. Why the heck would they choose Skull Kid over the much more viable and popular choice.

Look I'm not even a Midna fan. I don't even care to see her as a fighter. But I can't deny that she was the best choice for a newcomer.

But because she is an Assist, I'm assuming we are either not going to get anyone new for Zelda, or we will just get an echo fighter. The idea that we are indeed getting Skull Kid is just baffling.
I think there's a little blindness here. Skull kid has a huge audience. Frankly he's just an interesting character a lot of people latch onto.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team

Well for one, a lot of these newcomers are based on popularity. And yes, Skull Kid is popular, but he's not as popular as Midna. She has a much bigger and more vocal fanbase. You'd think the next unique Zelda fighter would be her.

Then there is moveset potential. Skull Kid doesn't have a lot going for him. In his game he mostly just floats there waiting for the moon to drop. We know that he curses people too... But that's it. It seemed like even Hyrule Warriors had a hard time thinking up a moveset for him as it's surprisingly lame compared to other characters. But do you know what Zelda character does have a lot of moveset potential? Midna. That magic hair hand has so much going for it. She can also teleport and summon large objects. Why the heck would they choose Skull Kid over the much more viable and popular choice?

i think that's kinda died down after Loz18 went ham on twitter.

All that's really known is he's in the game in some capacity... not a big shock to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom