• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537
I wonder what the "Weird" Choice will be like Wii Fit or ROB. I liked rob but it was rather odd. I'd like to see the reckless safety man from wii but the wii is old news now. Laboman, or the eshop bag man, or the AR Box from 3ds, or the face raiders final boss. go crazy. if they really wanted to weird people out, put the dk from the 90s cartoon as an echo. nintendo did not forget about that show - they recently released it on dvd. for $50, but still.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Hate to distract from the current debate, but I'm a bit bored and just thought I'd get people's opinions....or in more common board terms...Play a Game.
I just want to see what people would choose given the following restrictions: 4 first-party Newcomers, 1 third-party newcomer that HASN'T been highly requested yet (Geno, Shadow, Bajo-Kazooie), 2 Echoes for already confirmed characters.

For me, it would be:

(1st party Newcomers)
1. Skull Kid
2. Pheramosa/Buzzwole (working as a duo that switch out similarly to how Pokemon Trainer switches out Pokemon)
3. Hades
4. Magikoopa/Kamek (I grew up with him named Magikoopa, so I just put both names)

(3rd Party Newcomer)
5. Neku Sakuraba (would be a great, blindsided SE rep for the community lol)

(Echoes)
6. Dry Bowser (For Bowser....obviously lol)
7. Medusa (For Palutena; switch out some moves for Palutena's old customs as the data is still available and only aesthetic change would be needed)
1st Party:
1. Skull Kid
2. Porky Minch
3. Classic Ganon
4. Bandana Dee

Third Party:
5. Kratos (come on he’d be fun)

Echoes:
6. Black Shadow
7. Raiden (based on his MGS2 appearance)

D

Deleted member

I wonder what the "Weird" Choice will be like Wii Fit or ROB. I liked rob but it was rather odd. I'd like to see the reckless safety man from wii but the wii is old news now. Laboman, or the eshop bag man, or the AR Box from 3ds, or the face raiders final boss. go crazy.
Random Jellyfish NPC from Splatoon. Includes swimsuit-alts.

"Jellyfish stretches into battle!"

Finally, a character who's grab range can exceed Melee Marth's.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So, how many SSBU sales do you think we'll see, after 5 years?

I'm guessing between 14-16 million.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I wonder what the "Weird" Choice will be like Wii Fit or ROB. I liked rob but it was rather odd. I'd like to see the reckless safety man from wii but the wii is old news now. Laboman, or the eshop bag man, or the AR Box from 3ds, or the face raiders final boss. go crazy. if they really wanted to weird people out, put the dk from the 90s cartoon as an echo. nintendo did not forget about that show - they recently released it on dvd. for $50, but still.
I thought the tech/appliance rep was duck hunt.

TBH I don't expect a "weird" rep this time around

monadoboy

Smash Lord
This is a very specific trait that people find too common (see: synonyms of oversaturated) and find boring as a result
The problem with the anime swordsmen argument is that using the word "anime" like that means absolutely nothing.

It's just used to slander characters they don't like because "ew animu."

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Hate to distract from the current debate, but I'm a bit bored and just thought I'd get people's opinions....or in more common board terms...Play a Game.
I just want to see what people would choose given the following restrictions: 4 first-party Newcomers, 1 third-party newcomer that HASN'T been highly requested yet (Geno, Shadow, Bajo-Kazooie), 2 Echoes for already confirmed characters.

For me, it would be:

(1st party Newcomers)
1. Skull Kid
2. Pheramosa/Buzzwole (working as a duo that switch out similarly to how Pokemon Trainer switches out Pokemon)
3. Hades
4. Magikoopa/Kamek (I grew up with him named Magikoopa, so I just put both names)

(3rd Party Newcomer)

(Echoes)
7. Medusa (For Palutena; switch out some moves for Palutena's old customs as the data is still available and only aesthetic change would be needed)
Figure I'll join in on the fun. Assuming we can't go with deconfirmed characters:

1st Party Newcomers
1) Slippy
2) Sceptile
3) Spring Man
4) Skull Kid

Uncommon 3rd Party Newcomer
5) Doom Slayer

Clone Characters
6) James McCloud (Fox)
7) Shadow (Sonic)

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
That's because fake leaks alwaus go for the "safe" choices. I remember that every fake leak back in Smash 4 had the Gematsu characters and the ones that didn't were ignored.
Which is kinda why I'm excited for more reveals, I can see already it won't be Banjo, Skull Kid, Isaac or Geno, it's going to be someone no one is expecting.
inb4 I say Deathborn lol

New game, every third party gets an Echo. And every Echo gets an Echo( as in the new echos you add also get one.) for some horrible reason too, go nuts.
HEHEHE THIS IS GOING TO BE A FUN ONE!
Sonic: Shadow Echo and Metal Sonic Echo
Snake: Big Boss Echo and MGS2 Raiden Echo
Bayonetta: Jean Echo and Balder Echo
Shulk: Alvis Echo and Dunban Echo
Ryu: Ken Echo and Akuma Echo
Mega Man: Protoman Echo and Bass Echo
Pac Man: Miss Pac Man Echo and Tak Man Echo
Cloud: Zack Echo and Angeal Echo
Castlevania: Trevor Echo and John Morris Echo
BONUS ROUND: UNCONFIRMED 3RD PARTIES:
Dante: Virgil Echo and Nero Echo
Doom Slayer: Quake Ranger Echo and B.J. Blatzkowitz Echo
Crash: Coco Echo and Fake Crash Echo
Rayman: Barbella Echo and Globox Echo

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

For me, it would be:

(1st party Newcomers)
1. Skull Kid
3. Hades

(3rd Party Newcomer)

(Echoes)
1 Decidueye
2 Rex & Pyra
3 ARMs character
4 sure, Skull Kid...or Elma honestly

5 Dragonborn

6 Dixie Kong
7 Impa

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I don't think the complaint was dumb, all things considered. In smash 4 we were given all of the following:

:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultrobin:ultroy::ultshulk:

Now I'm obviously not saying they play the same but the complaint isn't about the exact mechanics of the characters. It's about the designs, and the fact that many of us find the anime swordsman protagonist trope frankly kind of boring. This was further compounded by a perceived lack of the characters we found interesting instead.

I was all aboard that train for Smash 4. I'm not bothered by it any more because the list of Ultimate newcomers has been perfect for me so far, and it would just be selfish.

Elma certainly wouldn't be exempt from similar criticism, though unless it's taken solely in a vacuum I don't think it's fair. Her design isn't as prototypically "anime" as the rest of the characters people typically complain about, she is from Xenoblade rather than Fire Emblem (which, based on Chrom, just generates salt now), and the characters we've received thus far have been a love letter to those of us who were previously complaining.
So excluding clones because obviously those can feel tedious when they aren't based on a character you like (although I have to point out, Dark Pit should absolutely not be in this category. Just any blade weapon counts as a sword? The Pits are way different in theme too than just swords man/woman).

Cloud, Corrin, Robin and Shulk give us all way different types of swordman, not just in playstyle but in theme. Cloud is easily the most generic but he's Cloud so most people didn't complain. I get they all use swords but even thematically they're all very different (Transformation, Tome Magic, Futuristic etc).

Now it's your opinion and I can't tell you to like those characters or think they bring value to the roster, that's up to you. But I do think it would be unfair that the second we saw Elma in the game to just throw her in the swords men/women bucket and say she has the same design as all the other anime sword users. That would be like looping together every punching character.

Just gunna state this again because I saw you getting some hate, it's all oppinion. Some people love anime swords man and want more, some people don't care. But to the original point, I don't think its fair to immediately dislike a character choice because they use a sword.

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice

For me, it would be:

(1st party Newcomers)
1. Skull Kid
3. Hades

(3rd Party Newcomer)

(Echoes)
First Party

1.Rhythm Heaven Rep(Karate Joe)
2.Bandana Dee
3.Paper Mario
4.Dr. Coyle

Third Party(Besides Banjo Geno Shadow)

5.Phoenix Wright

Echoes

6.Ninten
7.Roll with Megaman's old customs

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

For me, it would be:

(1st party Newcomers)
1. Skull Kid
3. Hades

(3rd Party Newcomer)

(Echoes)
First Party Newcomers
1. Isaac
2. Lycanroc/Silvally/Decidueye (cheating here, but honestly I'd be happy with any of these three)
3. Skull Kid (or Midna if she wasn't an AT)
4. Elma

Third Party Newcomers
5. Nightmare

Echoes
6. Medusa (Palutena)
7. Isabelle (Animal Crossing)

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Actually play the game before doing armchair analysis of the characters smh.
Not gonna. I can and will give my opinion and impression on a character based on what I've seen of it, like everyone else does. Don't be a butthurt.

D

Deleted member

New game, every third party gets an Echo. And every Echo gets an Echo( as in the new echos you add also get one.) for some horrible reason too, go nuts.
*Deep breath* here we ****ing go
Snake - Raiden - Big Boss
Sonic - Shadow - Silver
Mega Man - Proto Man - Bass
Pac-Man - Ms.Pac-Man - Pac-Man(Ghostly Adventures)
Ryu - Ken - Akuma
Cloud - Zack - Sephiroth
Bayonetta - Jeanne - That AT dude
Simon - Richter - Trevor - Those are all the Belmonts I know rip

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I don’t know anything about Dante, but I feel bad for those that had hope for him after the fake leak.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Yeah I guess this isn't really a deconfirm

Well RIP Dante, we hardly knew thee

I didn't believe the Dante rumors in the first place, but even if it is true it's not like they could tell you without some sort of NDA breach
Yeah but if he is in you could just as easily ignore this tweet with no popularity to it at all, unless he's decided to troll, but I don't know if he's that kind of producer

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If you're under NDA, usually you just ignore questions rather than out and out lie.

Or at least, that's what I've seen thus far.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Would that guy really know about that kind of details for his position?
I dunno, maybe? People have walked into Valve's office under Non-Disclosure and we really don't know if Half Life 3 is a thing due to it. If companies can trust commoners to handle this info, they can trust real people. It kinda takes a freak accident like the Simon Belmont one for things to leak out like this.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

For me, it would be:

(1st party Newcomers)
1. Skull Kid
3. Hades

(3rd Party Newcomer)

(Echoes)
1. Bandana Dee (Most deserving character left so far)
2. Marx (My most wanted, I only hesitate because Dee deserves it more)
3. Kamek (Yoshi needs a second character and we don't have a mage)
4. Decidueye (3rd favorite Pokémon and an archer)

5: Maxwell (I love Scribblenauts)

6: Blaziken (For Falcon, very Popular Pokémon that works perfectly over Falcon)
7: Fawful (For Bowser. Jr, I love Mario and Luigi)

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I'm... somewhat disappointed. I had my doubts about the leak, but I was really starting to like the idea of Dante being in the game lol.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The problem with the anime swordsmen argument is that using the word "anime" like that means absolutely nothing.

It's just used to slander characters they don't like because "ew animu."
I was just thinking about this when Dark Pit was refrenced in the category. Totally slipped my mind that the Pits already dual weild bladed, but I don't consider their aesthetic "anime swordsman" at all. Do they have a slight anime touch? Well yeah...but anime is just Japanese cartoon and like 90%+ of the roster is made from Japan. So are all characters "Anime"?

I already dislike that distinction but if we wanna call out characters with similar builds and style that use swords than fine, but there's no way we can say any human who isn't from the Mushroom Kingdom is Anime (no one here said that, just using an example). The Fire Emblem cast does not equal the Kid Icarus cast which doesn't equal the Zelda cast. All different styles that are all made in Japan, so to call them all anime is really blanket and kinda obvious but if you don't like that then I guess you're asking for oversea's made characters???

Just some rambles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom