• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can back you up on that too, I was on various sites for Brawl and on both here and Capcom-Unity during the last game (I was a moderator there). The support I saw was..
Brawl
- Sonic
- Mega Man
- Geno
- Ridley
- Diddy
- Ness (people feared he was cut for Lucas)
- Isaac

Smash 4 (Base)
- Ridley
- K. Rool
- Bayonetta
- Mewtwo
- Chrom
- Isaac
- Shadow
- Lloyd
- Pac-Man

Smash 4 (DLC)
- Shovel Knight
- K. Rool
- Dark Samus
- Wolf
- Roy
- Geno
- Bayonetta

A lot of people who wanted Ridley seemed to accept the "too big" thing and hoped for Dark Samus or Sylux as a consolation prize.
A lot of people that requested characters seen as 'impossible' like Ridley, Cloud, or Bayonetta tended to be shouted down with reasons why what they wanted was impossible based on offhand comments by Sakurai or beliefs of their own being treated as unbreakable rules.
Main thing I'd add would be Little Mac and Palutena for Base Smash 4. At least on this site, anyway.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I keep seeing people say Shadow is a given. Why are people so adamant that he is, when compared to good ol Skull Kid?
Numerous reasons.

1. :ultchrom:
2. :ultrichter:
3. MIA Assist Trophy
4. Easy Echo to make in development, since his model is already in the game.
5. Easy Echo to make in development, since his proportions are similar to Sonic's.
6. His inclusion doesn't surround a conspiracy theory about ****ing chairs.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I think the thing now is that most of the big names left are not as big as K.Rool/Ridley, and are a bit more divisive because of it. All of this character discussion is making me think of this as one big game of "****, Kill, or Marry."

So, here's the Smash version: "Cut, Assist, or Playable"

We'll look at three characters, and decide which you want playable, which to get just an assist, and which to cut completely...Let's start with the big three names we've seen around so far: Geno, Isaac, and Bandana Dee. Which would you cut, which gets an assist, and which is in?
Cut Bandana, Assist Isaac, Playable Geno.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I keep seeing people say Shadow is a given. Why are people so adamant that he is, when compared to good ol Skull Kid?
Yeah, really, now that people know of the whole Echo thing and how easy they are to implement compared to full-on original fighters, requests for characters who would make a lot of sense as Echoes have gone through the roof basically. This doesn't apply to Skull Kid, who would definitely be an original character if he were to make it into Smash Bros. It's really not a very good comparison.

D

Deleted member

From what I remember, Palitena wasn't popular, just "yeah, she's totally getting in". Her reveal was somehow even less surprising than the Inklings reveal

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I will admit; I too don't really understand the hype for Geno. I find him to potentially have a fun moveset, Geno is also very mysterious and stood out in the Mario RPGs . So I will be happy if Geno gets in.

What I really want is for Square-Enix to make a Mario Rpg similar to SMRPG 64. The only Mario Rpg that I played after that was Mario and Luigi partners in time (that story was hella good). Now all the Mario RPGs seems like item spam to win, not to mention it's literally just Mario and Luigi now.

I want Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Kamek, other made up characters in my party. Don't make items braindead too.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
The reason Shadow, isabelle, ken Black Knight, and Medusa have exploded lately is because they otherwise wouldnt be likely but now all of a sudden they look VERY likely

its a case of outside of echoes they wouldnt have a chance and had small fanbases but now that echoes are full on in ppl are clamoring over them.

Id add Dixie there but a lot of people get upset at the idea of her being an echo for some weird reason.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
In the brawl days, it was over the map. People were expecting double melees roster at about 50 characters.

Geno. Ridley and k rool were the big ones. So was wolf or Krystal. People also wanted starfy, waluigi and others that ended up being assists.

For smash4, it was more routine and discussions i remember were on curs.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
"But aren't "likely" and "guaranteed" the same thing?"
Not really. Likely is just a likelihood. For example, in Mario Kart, Waluigi is more likely to appear then Queen Bee, but this isn't absolute, like when Queen Bee appeared in Mario Kart 7 but Waluigi didn't.
Bayonetta wasn't even talked about up here as a major contender. Cloud was largely popular and pushed due to casuals. Many Nintendo purists were yelling how he isn't Nintendo and thus impossible/ Silly and suggested moogle or Black Mage. Mewtwo was wanted by both crowds. Corrin was just promotional advertising not to mention FE is popular. I see Roy, Lucas as really only being the hardcore stuff and they were recognized by casuals due to being Veterans.

In fact I remember a lot of people being salty on Smashboards after the Final Direct revealing Corrin and Bayonetta both of who were relevant at the time.
I distinctly remember a lot of people on these very Boards discussing how Bayonetta was likely for base Roster or even DLC due to Nintendo funding Bayonetta 2..I even remember myself saying she was unlikely due to real guns and sexualized character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The reason Shadow, isabelle, ken Black Knight, and Medusa have exploded lately is because they otherwise wouldnt be likely but now all of a sudden they look VERY likely

its a case of outside of echoes they wouldnt have a chance and had small fanbases but now that echoes are full on in ppl are clamoring over them.

Id add Dixie there but a lot of people get upset at the idea of her being an echo for some weird reason.
Black Knight is only recently spurred up because of another conspiracy theory revolving a model disappearing.
IMO it means nothing because it's reverse alfonzo situation

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
"When Black Knight joins the battle, Alfonzo will not take over, as Black Knight was never the general in Castle Siege to begin with!"

Onua

Smash Journeyman
To be fair of those 6 commonly mentioned echoes, all of them are very very likely
But which of the 6 make it is why everyone is just kinda going nuts
I highly doubt we WONT get one or two or maybe even three of them but who exactly is up in the air
All of them have a good chance so thats part of the excitement

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So I know they usually play themes for characters during Echo reveals, so what exactly would be played for specific characters?
Shadow has really three options:

A. All Hail Shadow
B. I Am All of Me
C. (bout to blow your mind). Live and Learn, the most likely

also a bit of a hot take but magna-fi all hail shadow > crush40's
Blaziken: Hoenn Elite 4
Impa: A Hyrule Warriors Song
Dixie: Stickerbrush Symphony
Shadow: Live and Learn
Isabelle: Town Hall theme
Susie Haltmann: Haltmann Works Executive Management (Robobot boss theme)
Ken: Ken's theme
Octoling: That one song that's played in all the OE trailers
Zygarde: Xerneas/Yveltal theme
Holly Blue Agate: What's the use of feeling, Blue?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
To be fair of those 6 commonly mentioned echoes, all of them are very very likely
I highly doubt we WONT get one or two or maybe even three of them but who exactly is up in the air
Seeing as Sakurai included an option to switch around the display of Echoes in numerous different ways, I'd be willing to bet all of them could make it.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Not really. Likely is just a likelihood. For example, in Mario Kart, Waluigi is more likely to appear then Queen Bee, but this isn't absolute, like when Queen Bee appeared in Mario Kart 7 but Waluigi didn't.

I distinctly remember a lot of people on these very Boards discussing how Bayonetta was likely for base Roster or even DLC due to Nintendo funding Bayonetta 2..I even remember myself saying she was unlikely due to real guns and sexualized character.
What? Umm Bayonetta got in after the Game came out lol?!?!? During the ballot phrase the talk was all about the typical characters such as Isaac, K. Rool, Wolf, Krystal, etc.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
hardcore smashers would rig the ballot to "boost characters" which is certainly how K.Rool got a ton of votes and gave Sakurai the false impression along with other characters that may get in. I WONDER HOW many people voted multiple times for him hmmmm?
I personally voted for King K Rool 5-10 times on different devices, each one listing various moveset ideas - many of which, almost certainly by coincidence, made it into the actual game.

I regret nothing.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I think the thing now is that most of the big names left are not as big as K.Rool/Ridley, and are a bit more divisive because of it. All of this character discussion is making me think of this as one big game of "****, Kill, or Marry."

So, here's the Smash version: "Cut, Assist, or Playable"

We'll look at three characters, and decide which you want playable, which to get just an assist, and which to cut completely...Let's start with the big three names we've seen around so far: Geno, Isaac, and Bandana Dee. Which would you cut, which gets an assist, and which is in?
Cut Dee
Assist Isaac
Playable Geno

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Geez you're pretty vocal about Black Knight aren't ya?
could've at least given falcon his black shadow then

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as Sakurai included an option to switch around the display of Echoes in numerous different ways, I'd be willing to bet all of them could make it.
Thats something Ive heard some people say and its totally likely since of the big 6 theyd all be super easy to add so who knows whats going to happen honestly.
Some people think were going to get the 6 echoes and 3 totally new newcomers to fit with the 9 day gap of time between the last char of the day and the games release
id love that honestly. All 6 would be great but realistically i only see a few of them making it

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Geez you're pretty vocal about Black Knight aren't ya?
could've at least given falcon his black shadow then
I mean id love to see the black knight sure, but Im FAR more wanting medusa in

Ive seen a lot of my friends and ppl on twitter want the burger king

KMDP

Smash Legend
I was being facetious.

Some fans consider "likely"/"unlikely" to be the same as "guaranteed"/"impossible", for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
This is definitely the part that gets me too. If we are only getting, lets say another 4-5 echoes, a roster with over 70 characters, this option kind of doesn't really make any sense.

I just feel like the talk about echoes from Sakurai poses it as a much bigger feature than we are thinking about. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if he just ups and drops 10 more echoes in a single direct.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hey now...let him have this, my Steve friend.

Though yeah, where's Black Shadow?
People can believe what they want to believe, but I'll make my stance again so it's on an even playing field.

Okay, someone has to go back to the footage and talk about where the Black Knight is supposedly missing (because the picture people use is such potato .jpg quality). Thing is, it's reverse Alfonzo situation that he's not there. You know how Toon Link gets replaced when Link is on there? That picture is implying Black Knight is on the stage with Richter right then and there. Would he really do something like that and slip up? Would he?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
From what I remember, Palitena wasn't popular, just "yeah, she's totally getting in". Her reveal was somehow even less surprising than the Inklings reveal
Nah, Palutena was super popular.
You gotta remember how much people liked Kid Icarus Uprising.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
People can believe what they want to believe, but I'll make my stance again so it's on an even playing field.

Okay, someone has to go back to the footage and talk about where the Black Knight is supposedly missing (because the picture people use is such potato .jpg quality). Thing is, it's reverse Alfonzo situation that he's not there. You know how Toon Link gets replaced when Link is on there? That picture is implying Black Knight is on the stage with Richter right then and there. Would he really do something like that and slip up? Would he?
[insert generic "lol, it's sakurai, u never kno!!! xDDDD"]

Onua

Smash Journeyman
This is definitely the part that gets me too. If we are only getting, lets say another 4-5 echoes, a roster with over 70 characters, this option kind of doesn't really make any sense.

I just feel like the talk about echoes from Sakurai poses it as a much bigger feature than we are thinking about. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if he just ups and drops 10 more echoes in a single direct.
Adding the big 6 would like make a lot of people so happy and whoever other echoes if the newcomers can even have one would be amazing

I just know staying realistic is the best choice

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I personally voted for King K Rool 5-10 times on different devices, each one listing various moveset ideas - many of which, almost certainly by coincidence, made it into the actual game.

I regret nothing.
RIGGED!! Now K. Rool will get cut in the inevitable Reboot which cuts half the roster and be made an Assist after Sakurai finds out such heresy.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Numerous reasons.

1. :ultchrom:
2. :ultrichter:
3. MIA Assist Trophy
4. Easy Echo to make in development, since his model is already in the game.
5. Easy Echo to make in development, since his proportions are similar to Sonic's.
6. His inclusion doesn't surround a conspiracy theory about ****ing chairs.
I agree the chairs are really stupid. But there are legit reasons why people think Skull Kid is in

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1400976-super-smash-brothers-ultimate

https://youtu.be/W-RCVtKbEXw

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Perhaps it's implying that they simply changed the model and Black Knight isn't in the background even when not played...?

I agree the chairs are really stupid. But there are legit reasons why people think Skull Kid is in

Moving the goalposts. You asked why people would see Shadow more then Skull Kid.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

You agree the chairs are stupid but post content that believes in the chairs anyway? I know what Skull Kid's standpoint is, and he's one of the suspicious MIA that has him right behind Shadow solely because of the moon, which is completely understandable.

Perhaps it's implying that they simply changed the model and Black Knight isn't in the background even when not played...?
Implying with the implication that he's playable in the game at all?

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Yeah the implication is that the sprite isn't there at all anymore. Because it wasn't a model, it was a 2d sprite. It needed to be replaced, and they could have easily used the black knight's model considering he has one in other games, but they didn't. Its an odd detail that I think could mean something.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Because you literally only talk about Yoshi.

Or Boshi. :p
Well
uh

Yeah it's definitely because of this man, sorry. :bobomb:

Yeah the implication is that the sprite isn't there at all anymore. Because it wasn't a model, it was a 2d sprite. It needed to be replaced, and they could have easily used the black knight's model considering he has one in other games, but they didn't. Its an odd detail that I think could mean something.
That thing was a sprite? Must've been so damn good to fool me, I thought it was 3D.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You agree the chairs are stupid but post content that believes in the chairs anyway? I know what Skull Kid's standpoint is, and he's one of the suspicious MIA that has him right behind Shadow solely because of the moon, which is completely understandable.

Implying with the implication that he's playable in the game at all?
My bad. Edited the post. What I meant is that he isn't an Alfonzo situation, and that Black Knight isn't in the background played or not.
Seeing as Ganondorf was confirmed due to a slip-up in a 3DS commercial, I wouldn't be shocked if Sakurai slipped up, considering how he got away with it for over a week until someone pointed it out.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Medusa, Black Knight, Geuige... Giygas, Shadow the Hedghog, Black Shadow the anime baddie, Akuma...

There's a lot of villain/rival potential in Echos.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Isabelle, then Dixie, then Shadow and Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom