• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Y'know what **** hating on Goku, let's say anime/manga does have a shot. What character (excluding Dragon Ball) would you wanna see if there was some big anime race to the finish? You know it's gotta be my boi

Monkey D. Luffy.

For many reasons starting with "I just plain like him".

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I have no idea why people are getting so wound up about Goku. If you don't want him In smash fine but no reason to act like it would be a sin for him to be added in the game and that you can see the future of smash.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Y'know what **** hating on Goku, let's say anime/manga does have a shot. What character (excluding Dragon Ball) would you wanna see if there was some big anime race to the finish? You know it's gotta be my boi

He'd be a nice echo fighter of Kiryu Kazuma

On topic:
imageedit__3077063478.gif

Guts

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman

Hate to say it, but.... Naruto. SO much moveset potential.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Exactly. For another example, one of the developers for Shantae has spoken with Sakurai several times about wanting her in the game and they've even made alternate costumes she could use in the game (as shown in the picture). But just because she could be in the game doesn't mean Sakurai wants to put her in. I mean, he doesn't look very happy about the idea in this picture. lol. (This image is from WreckitRyan's video)View attachment 158488
Source about this developer speaking with Sakurai?

KMDP

Smash Legend
I have no idea why people are getting so wound up about Goku. If you don't want him In smash fine but no reason to act like it would be a sin for him to be added in the game and that you can see the future of smash.
It's not necessarily that we don't want him in Smash (because as I said I wouldn't mind him, hell, I've come up with a few movesets)

It's that Sakurai literally said "Manga characters can't get into Smash" right around when the Project Plan for Ultimate was finalized.

Goku is not getting into Smash, at least not in the Base Game.

Last edited:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
In Sakurai Answers E-mails, they relate to questions asked during the window of Brawl's release (10 years ago). They are archived from the Brawl website, after all. A lot has changed since then, including him going against long-held assertions and adding Ridley to the cast. DBZ has also added a couple quality games to its franchise since then, and this year's EVO saw the highest turnout for Dragon Ball Fighterz. Goku's not very likely, but it's not impossible.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Getting Midoriya in Smash would be the closest thing we'd get to legitimately having TeamFourStar in Smash ('cause Justin Briner).

What?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
To add further to the discussion, things are getting ridiculous when Ridley and the Villager of all characters are used to defend Goku.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
It's like asking for MLP in Mortal Kombat or an Die Hard guy in Darkstalkers. The game is strongly themed. The theme is a large part of it's appeal for many fans. You are asking to destroy a part of the game that has always been there to fulfill your own personal wants, when there are already loads of games that you could turn to for the experience you want. But youd rather Smash lose its identity (which is again a big part of why many fans love it) to make you personally happy.

And as I keep having to repeat myself on, fans of niche Nintendo only have Smash for their favorites to be playable. Goku has tons of opportunities to be in a crossover fighter and has gotten to be in one repeatedly. It's really annoying to have a character who doesn't even fit the theme of a game box out your favorite character who only had a chance because the game was themed.

If we open the anime floodgates, I'm not even gonna be willing to bet Ness gets a spot in next Smash.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
You know, if Goku were ever put in the game, everyone and their dog would be asking for every anime and manga character under the sun, and then they'll all get pissy when their favorite anime or manga character isn't added and they'll say, "Well if Goku can make it in, then so can this character!"

Giving the fans what they want is good, but only to an extent. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and I think Sakurai knows where to draw the line. We don't know where the line is drawn though, of course.

Last edited:

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
You know, if Goku were ever put in the game, everyone and their dog would be asking for every anime and manga character under the sun, and then they'll all get pissy when their favorite anime or manga character isn't added and they'll say, "Well if Goku can make it in, then so can this character!"

Giving the fans what they want is good, but only to an extend. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and I think Sakurai knows where to draw the line. We don't know where the line is drawn though, of course.
How we draw it about behind Goku? please no one kill me

Last edited:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator

Giving the fans what they want is good, but only to an extent. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and I think Sakurai knows where to draw the line. We don't know where the line is drawn though, of course.
You say that like they don't already do that.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'm just going based on the picture and what the guy said in this video: https://youtu.be/cOVbt-pQo-Y?t=604
So there is no concrete evidence that they've spoken "multiple times" like you said and you're just basing it off the picture? Which is apparently a picture from e3. Dude, it's cool to speculate and all but don't spread it around as fact. That's how misinformation spreads.

Enchess

Smash Lord

Giving the fans what they want is good, but only to an extend. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and I think Sakurai knows where to draw the line. We don't know where the line is drawn though, of course.
Yeah, if this game stops being a gaming crossover, don't just prepare for anime, prepare for Disney and pro athlete and pop star requests to. If we ever get to that point, it will be a bit hilarious watching Goku fans tell those people their characters are impossible when all of them have just as much a 'right' to be in Smash as Goku. I can't think of a single good argument of why Goku should be in Smash that doesn't apply to Mickey Mouse as much if not more.

T-Hell

Smash Lord

Not sure if this has been shown here already, but I'll let you all make your choices first.
No Chibi Robo in that list huh?
Banjo, Sora, Rayman and Blaziken.
And I'm not gonna get involved in the Goku discussion because I despise everything about him, Dragon Ball and the so called Smash fans that want him in giving extremely stupid arguments and acting like spoiled childs.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I can't think of a single good argument of why Goku should be in Smash that doesn't apply to Mickey Mouse as much if not more.
"Smash is a celebration of Japanese pop-culture. Mickey would just be too ridiculous."

At least, that's the kind of argument I'd see Goku supporters use against Mickey.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah, if this game stops being a gaming crossover, don't just prepare for anime, prepare for Disney and pro athlete and pop star requests to. If we ever get to that point, it will be a bit hilarious watching Goku fans tell those people their characters are impossible when all of them have just as much a 'right' to be in Smash as Goku. I can't think of a single good argument of why Goku should be in Smash that doesn't apply to Mickey Mouse as much if not more.
Which is why I don't think Sora should be in Smash, because he's essentially a Disney character (I think)

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
I like how people could agree on Adding no Blizzard characters to smash easier than agreeing to add no Goku to smash.

I wouldn't personally even give a **** about goku in smash if A. He wouldn't really be that fun to play over other anime characters if we HAD to have one B. He would be as I said before Bayonetta 2 and that's a guarantee and C. The smash community would be dead before Ultimate even comes out.

Like I wouldn't call Goku "Impossible" but that's like saying that Sakurai lied about Waluigi and Ashley and they are secretly both playable characters because that's not "Impossible". the chances are so small it's not worth thinking about.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
So there is no concrete evidence that they've spoken "multiple times" like you said and you're just basing it off the picture? Which is apparently a picture from e3. Dude, it's cool to speculate and all but don't spread it around as fact. That's how misinformation spreads.
Oh, my mistake. I didn't know it was a picture from E3. I thought the two pictures were concrete evidence. I'll try to be more careful next time. But I'm sure I'll make this same mistake again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom