• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

For the team’s sake I’m really glad our universe isn’t the one where the madmen decided to put Bond in Melee and now have to negotiate the infinite hell that would be resecuring his rights for Ultimate.
"After 17 years, Bond...James Bond, returns to Smash Bros! He's been updated based on his more recent appearances, but his GoldenEye 007 look is still available for you to choose."

Madman pays for likeness rights for both Daniel Craig and Pierce Brosnan

Last edited by a moderator:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
No to goku. Persona is a pipe dream. Just like goemon.

Maybe a trophy.

And what is Raymans chances? He has a trophy.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Geno and Persona are video games. Goku isn't. It's as simple as that.
Except if you bothered to read my James Bond and ROB example it's really not that simple..

Idk why everyone is focusing on a technicality, what if mario originated from the super mario bros super show? That launched 3 weeks before the game. Would everyone be saying oh mario shouldn't be in smash he didn't originate in a video game, despite being the mascot he should not be in smash.

What Nintendo as a comaomy didn't start out making ideal games? They should not be making smash bros games they need to give the rights to another company that did start out as a video game company.

See how absurd that sounds? Everyone is ignoring the 40+ Nintendo titles Goku appeared in on a technicality because they don't like the character.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
I'm going to admit that when I heard that Crunchyroll retweeted the Direct, a minuscule piece of my soul wondered if Goku was going to be announced. In actuality, it was most likely because of the scene where DK and K. Rool punch each other's fists in front of the sun, which I believe is a direct reference to a scene from Dragon Ball.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Except if you bothered to read my James Bond and ROB example it's really not that simple..

Idk why everyone is focusing on a technicality, what if mario originated from the super mario bros super show? That launched 3 weeks before the game. Would everyone be saying oh mario shouldn't be in smash he didn't originate in a video game, despite being the mascot he should not be in smash.

What Nintendo as a comaomy didn't start out making ideal games? They should not be making smash bros games they need to give the rights to another company that did start out as a video game company.

See how absurd that sounds? Everyone is ignoring the 40+ Nintendo titles Goku appeared in on a technicality because they don't like the character.
Sakurai said the technicallity.

And if get goku, why not shrek. Or sanic. Or the next meme character.

No goku.

KMDP

Smash Legend

Your Mario argument doesn't hold water because anyway you slice it, Mario is still a Nintendo character. They don't have to pay anyone for the rights to use him, they own Mario.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Your Mario argument doesn't hold water because anyway you slice it, Mario is still a Nintendo character. They don't have to pay anyone for the rights to use him, they own Mario.
I wish goemon was a nintendo character. So much smash potential.

But alas. He is konami.
Lets hope.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Sakurai said the technicallity.

And if get goku, why not shrek. Or sanic. Or the next meme character.

No goku.
Sakurai also said Ridley is too big to be a fighter. And goku is not a meme character.

Toad has been in more Nintendo games than Goku and he isn't in Smash.
Toad is part of Peach's moveset, he has a trophy, captain Toad is in the background of that Mario Oddysey stage.

Just because he ain't a fighter doesn't mean he's not in smash

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Sakurai also said Ridley is too big to be a fighter. And goku is not a meme character.

Toad is part of Peach's moveset, he has a trophy, captain Toad is in the background of that Mario Oddysey stage.

Just because he ain't a fighter doesn't mean he's not in smash
Yes he is.
Goku is very meme at this point.
What about shrek? It is ogre time.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Yes he is.
Goku is very meme at this point.
What about shrek? It is ogre time.
It's a matter of opinion I think most people would genuinely be happy to see Goku in smash.

From a marketing point of view it makes sense to announce Goku as the final fighter as the ultimate suprise reveal, he would just print Nintendo money due to the hype, announce a special goku edition and boom pre orders through the roof.

And I get to see Goku vs Snake vs Mario Vs Sonic.

Yeah I'm keen for Goku in smash and I hope it happens just don't know how realistic it is. Hopefully he makes it in but I'm happy with the roster either way.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
How dare you forget about female Pokemon Trainer, you monster! /s

I honestly wouldn't care. I also wouldn't care if we got more.
Dark Samus also technically has some small amount of DNA of female origin inside it. Just because it’s an unfathomble abomination from space more remote than we can possibly imagine doesn’t mean it can’t be a lady!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Back in Smash 4 I would jave laughed at the possibility of a Persona character but now I think it's just a matter of time. Yu Narukami has been on Nintendo consoles so he's much of a fair game as Cloud. And the fact Atlus still doesn't have a character despite their good relation with Nintendo puzzles me.
I personally think SMT should be the one to get a fighter from Atlus(if we're being realistic here, otherwise just give my little blonde *****) but none of them are as recognizable as the Persona protagonists which really puts them in a Cloud situation.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
It's a matter of opinion I think most people would genuinely be happy to see Goku in smash.

From a marketing point of view it makes sense to announce Goku as the final fighter as the ultimate suprise reveal, he would just print Nintendo money due to the hype, announce a special goku edition and boom pre orders through the roof.

Yeah I'm keen for Goku in smash and I hope it happens just don't know how realistic it is. Hopefully he makes it in but I'm happy with the roster either way.
It would be inflated hype. And pointless. Goku is not that interesting as a character and the flood gates for sanic and shrek would be open.

No. I honestly do not want goku vs anyone in smash. It would be a frustrating and silly.

He is not getting in. Last character will prod be Geno. Or Rayman. Or someone on the request list that is not an anime character..

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
https://www.mcleodgaming.com/games/ssf2
Outside of this and Smash modding, this is the closest you'll ever get to Goku in Smash.
Yeah I'm keen for Goku in smash and I hope it happens just don't know how realistic it is.
It isn't. It's not like my signature characters where there isn't enough 0's behind a decimal point in the world to inform you of their chances. Goku's chances are fortunately much easier to explain.

0%

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ridley is still a video game character. Goku is a manga character.
Okay, so... on the ballot...
"Do you want your favorite video-game character to join the battle...?"

"If you post a video-game character's name..."

They were pretty clear. All non-VG characters were probably summarily ignored.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team

I think you got the wrong guy.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I find it fun to imagine years down the line when Ultimate is inevitably modded and Echoes become more distinct characters. Ultimate’s modding scene is going to be wild.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I find it fun to imagine years down the line when Ultimate is inevitably modded and Echoes become more distinct characters. Ultimate’s modding scene is going to be wild.
Well, not if Nintendo finds them, and . . . does things.

Oh, you know what I mean.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
>Years down the line

The Switch is already modded and people are going to datamine Smash Ultimate day 1. People have already done model replacements in Mario Odyssey so Smash modding for Ultimate will take less than a year.

If noone does it, I will make Joseph Joestar over Richter. I think the whip would need to be Hermit Purple so I could also make it happen over Jonathan.

D

Deleted member

Aw, does this mean my compelling reason for why Homura Akemi should get in was just thrown out?

homura in smash.png

homura confirmed.png

I put so much effort in, too...
No, I did not take the ballot seriously.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I was thinking. Some of the new assist trophies seem built to be able to be modded into playable characters by the fans.

The ones like Knuckles, Krystal, Alucard and others like them.

You just know someone will inevitably mod Rathalos into a playable character.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
>Years down the line

The Switch is already modded and people are going to datamine Smash Ultimate day 1. People have already done model replacements in Mario Odyssey so Smash modding for Ultimate will take less than a year.

If noone does it, I will make Joseph Joestar over Richter. I think the whip would need to be Hermit Purple so I could also make it happen over Jonathan.
We need a "Realistic Smash" mod, if possible. Every character plays like they do in their games, but they only use the moves and have the movement they already do, if it fits. Wii Fit Trainer would actually be garbage, again.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
We need a "Realistic Smash" mod, if possible. Every character plays like they do in their games, but they only use the moves and have the movement they already do, if it fits. Wii Fit Trainer would actually be garbage, again.
When I think about Realistic Smash, I think about taking everything out that isn't real or have actual consequences like having Mario burn himself if he uses a fireball.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I think you're Response 64.

Also, I can tell who Response 66 is immediately. It's a certain "legendary" Moderator with a certain N64 character as their avatar.
I have a feeling that part of the fun is that KMDP KMDP is going to try to match votes with the person who did it, considering half of us have a pretty obvious pick...
Furniture.
IKEA.
Sweden.
Vikings.
I've cracked it.
... :glare:
You started out so well...

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
...are we really arguing about Goku of all things again? Lemme put this straight: Smash Bros. is supposed to be a celebration of all things Nintendo and other franchises that are close to them, not of everything that you can possibly think of. Goku doesn't belong in Smash because him getting in would basically redefine what Smash is supposed to even be in the first place: a VIDEO GAME CHARACTER crossover fighting game (R.O.B. is an exception, he saved video games during the video game crash of 1983).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom