• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So just out of curiosity, how would you rank the third-party characters in likeliness to return? For me, it'd be:

:4sonic:>:4megaman:>:4pacman:>:4bayonetta:>:4ryu:>:4cloud:

That's from most likely to least likely. Hopefully you gathered that by seeing that Sonic was first.
Taking what I have learned from reading this thread, the order would be thusly:
:4sonic: = :4bayonetta2: > :4pacman: > :4ryu: = :4megaman > :4cloud:

Sayonara :kirby:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Saw this on Twitter. I’ll take it.

ooooh using the cardboard cut out of the person never occurred to me. I can legitimately see this working now, I mean we have all the pieces necessary for a unique fighter: the personification of the Labo concept, the unique builder gimmick, the craziness only expected of Smash, it's perfect.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I should probably start mentally preparing myself for this. Don't really want the Rabbids in Smash, but since Kingdom Battle is on its way to selling over one million copies (without the help of sales from Japan), it's something that could definitely happen.

That annoying scream of theirs will be the death of me...

So just out of curiosity, how would you rank the third-party characters in likeliness to return? For me, it'd be:

That's from most likely to least likely. Hopefully you gathered that by seeing that Sonic was first.
This is just my opinion, but I figure it's:

:4sonic: = :4bayonetta: > :4megaman: >= :4ryu: > :4pacman: > :4cloud:

Sonic's the closest that there is to a shoe-in for third party characters, Bayonetta was added as the Smash Ballot winner, and since they're owned by the same company, it seems unlikely that they'd only get one of them when they could get both.

With Mega Man and Ryu, I'm not sure about the ownership situation - Ryu was being credited to Capcom's USA branch, while Mega Man was credited to the Japanese one. If they had to pick and choose, I'd guess that Mega Man would take priority, but I feel like it would be a similar situation as with Sonic and Bayonetta where they'd try to get both back.

Pac-Man's placement depends on if Namco-Bandai is helping out with the next game or not. If that's the case, then he jumps up to Sonic and Bayonetta levels. Still, between their work on Smash 4 and Miyamoto being a fan of Pac-Man, his return seems likely.

The only third party character that I'm iffy on is Cloud. Square-Enix was a weird mix of laid-back and stingy when it came to his inclusion in Smash 4 - on one hand, they apparently gave the developers a lot of creative freedom, but on the other hand, we only got the barest minimum of songs (two songs, none of them remixes) and trophies (only trophies for Cloud) in Smash 4.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
:4sonic: = :4megaman: = :4pacman: < :4bayonetta: <:4ryu: < :4cloud:

I physically cannot see them cutting Sonic, Mega Man, or PAC-MAN come Smash 5. All three of these are arguably the best third party options available, each having a massive impact on the video game industry and being iconic in their own right. PAC-MAN is especially likely if Namco decides to help with Smash 5 development as well, and considering Capcom likes the Switch now, Mega Man's just as much of a shoe-in as Sonic.

Of the three DLC characters in Smash 4, Bayonetta I think is the most likely to come back. Bayonetta 3 is coming and releasing on the Switch later on, and she won the ballot, which ultimately secured her spot on the roster. Also, if Sonic gets added I don't see them denying use of Bayonetta either. Only thing that makes me kinda unsure about her return is her stance as a DLC character, we have no idea how these will be translated between games as of now, so we need to wait and see what happens.

Like Bayonetta, Ryu is owned by the same company as Capcom, and I don't see them leaving out Ryu if Mega Man gets his return. Like Bayonetta, his stance as DLC makes him a pretty big toss-up though.

Cloud I think is the least likely to come back. Square Enix has a really unpredictable personality; weather they want to let Nintendo use Cloud again or don't depends entirely how they feel on that day. It also doesn't help they had strange handling with Cloud in Smash 4; only two songs for the sole FINAL FANTASY stage, and no trophies ignoring Cloud's own. Even Street Fighter had the Ken trophy. His status as a DLC character in Smash 4 doesn't help matters either.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
My turn.

:4bayonetta: =< :4sonic: >= :4pacman: <= :4megaman: >= :4ryu: > :4cloud2: > :snake:

Before you say anything, Sonic is the most likely to return for me. I simply decided to put Bayo on the left because I believe she's a different case than other third-parties due to being a ballot winner and as such, can't really be predicted in the same way as the others. This means that she isn't necessarily more likely than the other third-parties, just on a different category that is independant of them. Now that I've explained myself...

Sonic is practically guaranteed. Sega is really friendly with Nintendo, Sonic has appeared in two Smash games so far, making him a recurring veteran, etc. Really not much to say aside from that, honestly.

Yeah, Pac-Man looks a bit weird, but let me explain. If Namco works on the next Smash game, he's as much of a guarantee as Sonic and likelier than Mega Man. If not, he's as likely as Mega Man but less likely than Sonic. This is because all of them are huge, recognizable icons of gaming, but can have different circumstances depending on whether Namco has a role to play in Smash 5 or not.

For the Capcom reps, I could see both make it in, but since Ryu seems to be trapped in Sony-exclusivity with SFV and Mega Man is getting a multi-platform mainline game with MM11, I'd say the blue bomber is a bit more likely, but not by much.

Cloud is the least likely out of the non-Bayo third-parties from 4 simply because the other companies actually have their IPs being put in Switch games, so licensing is much easier. He could still come back, but since mainline FF games never show up on Nintendo consoles, it's a little harder for him. Not that much harder since Square Enix does put games on the 3DS and Switch, but still a little bit harder, especially since we barely got any FF content for Smash 4 in the first place.

At first, I put Snake for the lolz, even adding way too many ">" between him and Cloud to troll the Snake supporters, but personally, I could see Konami be fine with putting Snake back in a future game. I just don't know how likely he can be, especially since the one reason he got in Brawl was because Kojima asked, so I put him as the least likely to play it safe.

As for Bayo, she's a weird case. She only got in because of the ballot, so it could be a one-time oppurtunity, but at the same time, Nintendo is funding Bayo 3, so they clearly believe in the franchise enough to put their money into it. And with Sega being on such good terms with the big N, she could be as likely as Sonic, the most likely third-party, but could also have a chance to not show up as well if the ballot was a one-time deal.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Might as well throw in my explanation too. (:4sonic:>:4megaman:>:4pacman:>:4bayonetta:>:4ryu:>:4cloud:)

:4sonic: is Sonic the Hedgehog. Any franchise that latches onto Nintendo during the Wii U era and made a collaborative Olympic spin-off series one of their most profitable ventures clearly isn't going anywhere.

:4megaman:hasn't been up to much in recent years, but the latest Smash game brought him back to life (And may have been responsible for starting development on the upcoming Mega Man game). Since it seems like Capcom actually prefers that the series stay associated with Nintendo, I think they'll want him to stay.

:4pacman:is arguably the most iconic third-party character on the roster. Still, he's not one of the more popular additions, and his inclusion in Smash is likely a result of Namco's involvement with the game. If they help again, he's staying. If they don't, it's up in the air.

The three DLC characters are already less likely to return just because they weren't on the initial roster, but I can think of other reasons why they might not come back.

:4ryu: has been weird with Nintendo. On one hand, SF has been distancing itself from Nintendo, and Capcom has focused on putting it's big games exclusively on the PS and Xbox consoles. On the other hand, when Nintendo directly asks to work with Capcom and SF, they seem to cooperate just fine. Since the Switch is so successful, Capcom might be more inclined to want Ryu to stay in the next Smash game.

:4cloud:doesn't have the best chance of returning. Square Enix has made it very clear that FF is not a game to be associated with Nintendo consoles, and their cooperation with Nintendo regarding Cloud in Smash is the equivalent of a whining kid being dragged out of his mom's minivan on the first day of school. Even with the Switch's success, I doubt Square Enix really cares that much about Smash.

:4bayonetta: is on good terms with Nintendo, but she was supposedly only added for being the ballot winner. How much of a priority she will be is a big question mark. She's also one of the most mature characters added in Smash. I doubt it'll ever come to this, but she might be cut (or at least made less of a priority) for being an obvious danger to raising the game's age rating. Smash 4 is the first game to receive an E10 rating though, so I can't imagine why Nintendo would care so much. Still worth noting IMO.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

About third parties. I agree with generally everyone's list.
Here is my shot.
:4sonic:> :4megaman:>:4pacman:>:4bayonetta:>:4ryu:>:4cloud:?:snake:
Sonic is Sonic. SEGA and Nintendo are almost allies, and I am sure Sonic will be included in all of the future installments.

Mega Man is also getting another game on the Switch + his hype was real during Smash 4, so he is also likely.

I almost put Mega Man and Pac-Man tied. Pac-Man still has a large chance, especially if Namco works on the game again. This guy is just too iconic to at least ignore.

Bayonetta's chances might increase. Not only was Bayonetta 2 a Wii U exclusive, but Bayonetta 3 being a Switch exclusive as well as a 1 and 2 port seems like her chances are increasing.

It is all up to Capcom with Ryu. With Mega Man 11 on the Switch, maybe. If Capcom let them add Ryu in the first place, I could see it potentially happen again. I am a little scared, but it is hopefully probable.

Cloud is a little confusing. Square Enix and Nintendo are both friends I heard. Has not Nintendo worked with Square to make games? This one is a little confusing as I said earlier so I do not know. When is that Final Fantasy VII remix....

Like The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn said, I included him just for fun. Snake does have a slight chance. NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy said that the fans need to be more "loud" toward Nintendo and Konami. I mean it is probable, but it is just confusing. NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy is the guy to talk to about Snake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
As far as third parties go I feel all of them are safe except for :4cloud:and MAYBE :4ryu:(even though I think the later is very unlikely to get cut).

SE is SE so it really goes down to whether or not they want Cloud to stay in the game. Or it could be an issue of roster space.
Guys, have we speculated so much that there's nothing more interesting to discuss than this non-issue?

We could always talk about oddball newcomers or something instead.
- "Should Wolf and the IC's return to Smash?"
- " I really want Inklings/Spring Man in the new Smash"
- "(insert Gen 7 PKMN) should be the next PKMN rep"
- "FE has too many character or FE should have more characters"
- "The Ballot was a scam and/or the Ballot was a publicity stunt".
- "The next Smash Bros game will be a Port/New Game"
- "Ridley should be in Smash or Ridley should not be in Smash".
- "Reps are very important!/Reps are not important!"
- "Indie characters should be in Smash! or Indie characters have no place in Smash!"
- "Am I the only one who thinks that..."

The above 10 quotes is pretty much this entire thread.
Saw this on Twitter. I’ll take it.

Your next WFT ladies and gents.
As I completed Dark Dawn for the first time yesterday, I can testify that Isaac would not be a substitute for a Grass type Pokemon. Isaac is far more Ground-based, he's a Venus or Earth Adept and his Psynergy powers combine all of the Earth elemental attacks, as rocks, earthquakes, vines and nettles and other crazy stuff.

Man Dark Dawn's ending REALLY made me want a GS4. It's a damn shame it's probably never gonna happen... :urg: I didn't think the game was bad at all either! It was a great 3rd game for Golden Sun, shame it was so overlooked and Camelot is basically only making Mario Tennis now.

Can't the internet cry out for a new Golden Sun game like Camelot asked us to do?
We're trying man, we're trying.

Uncle IS also told me to cry out for AW but I have a feeling they were trolling me. :ohwell:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say Cloud is the only one I can't see returning outright (Square is very weird about use of their characters, no clue which way they'll swing on that issue) whereas the others, I can see them returning, maybe not on the base roster though. Less complex profit splitting that way if the price paid for each part is separate from the involvement of the others.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
For me it would be...
SAFE
:4sonic: Sonic has supported Nintendo ever since the fall of the Dreamcast. Has more Nintendo exclusive games than in the competing consoles. And is so iconic, I'm not sure they'll let him go anytime soon.
:4megaman: Another relative safe keep. Megaman pretty much became the legend that he is today, on Nintendo platforms. Capcom would be shooting themselves on the foot if they removed this beloved character from the roster. But if their mission is to keep him relevant (MM11, MM Cartoon, etc) then keeping him is a priority move.
:4pacman: Status so iconic, and also created by the same company handling the game (so far) which allowed everyone to see what a mere pizza-shaped character could do, other than just waka-wakaing. His pedigree alone foreshadows his return.
:4bayonetta2: As much as I don't like Bayonetta, or anything from Platinum games (seriously, I don't get the obsession, and I don't share Sakurai's stance on perceiving this franchise as the videogame legend that he makes it out to be), Platinum games is so interwined with Nintendo lately, that she's sure to come back. Being a mature character, with guns and all, might be a hurdle to jump over when considered for the next game. But it's just a dent in the grand scope of things, because Bayo 3 is coming, and it wouldn't make sense to remove her. (Just for the sake of everything, NERF HER HARD).
:4ryu: If Capcom's there, Ryu is surely closely behind. This is pretty much their new official mascot, and the icon of fighting games. If there's a crossover fighting game, Ryu HAS to be in it. With Capcom having supported Nintendo pretty darn well lately (if we don't count nitpicks like Disney Adventures Collection) Ryu is most likely going to stay... Besides... can't have Megaman hog the light for too long, now, can we..?

UNSAFE

:4cloud: Square-Enix is a very odd company when it comes to their franchises. One minute they might think it's a good idea to have Cloud be in Smash Bros. but I wouldn't be surprised if they removed him for the pettiest of reasons. Maybe they think just a taste of Cloud is good enough to bring people in to their games. Or maybe they want to keep him DLC forever, and if Nintendo doesn't approve, then it's game over for Cloud. To me, anything is possible with a company of such anti-consumer mannerisms as SE.
And hey, I've been a long-time fan of FF, HUGE fan of Chrono Trigger, casual fan of Kingdom Hearts, and currently obsessed with Dragon Quest, so I've been tracking these guys' train of thought for a while. So... anything goes here.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
my smash dream roster

90 character roster, 34 newcomers, and 3 cuts: mii fighters, bayonetta, and dark pit
First i want to list my mistakes in the roster. i accidently put the the zelda characters in 4 slots instead of 5 and forgot to put ashley with wario.

Explanations for vault boy from fallout: the reason i have him is not because i am a huge fallout fan (in fact the only fallout game i have played is fallout shelter) the reason is because i think he would be a really interesting oddball newcomer.

newcomers: Captain Toad, kamek, king boo (didnt really want him until i saw a moveset someone made for him), koopa (a semi clone of yoshi and has dry bones and lakitu as alternate skins), geno ( i really like his brawl legacy xp moveset), waluigi, king k krool,
tetra (/toon zelda if they could find a balance between the two), pig ganon (i would like himto be mainly inspired from link to the past), ridley ( legacy xp mod for brawl proved to me that he isnt to big),
one more fire emblem character and one cut (not sure on who though), knuckle joe ( he has been my kirby newcomer wish since before smash 4), bandanna dee, wolf (returns and a little more decloned), pichu (has plusle and minun alternate skins),
the gen 5 pokemon (basically pokemon trainer except with chimchar, grotle, and the final evolution of piplup, marowak ( ground fighting and uses his bone club, but i would replace him with the gen 8 grass type if it appeals to me because decideye doesnt to me),
tails, knuckles, dr. eggman, ashley, inkling ( no arms character because i dont know how it would work because i havent played it), ice climbers return, paper mario, protoman, bomberman, balloon fighter ( the new retro of smash 5), chibi robo, maxwell (from scribblenauts), shovel knight, vault boy (someone has made a cool moveset for him, just look it up on google images), rayman, snake (returns and has his knife and tranquilzer from legacy xp), banjo kazooie, crash bandicoot, rachet and clank, daxter (from jak & daxter and one of my most wanted thrid party newcomers) , and finally jak from jak and daxter.

changes to regulars: mario gets a cappy move, bowser gets a dry bowser alt, donkey kong gets a funky kong alt, link and zelda get botw skins, toon link gets triforce heroes skins and wind waker onset island skins and his final sash changes to him using the wind waker wand and plays a song while the player has to copy the notes direction and he damage is correlated to how many notes are gotten correct, metaknight gets galatica knight alts, sonic gets a shadow alt, and ness gets a ninten alt.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sonic is the only third-party character I would categorize as SAFE. He appeared in two games (Brawl actually being delayed to include his addition) out of four. In the future there will likely come a day when Nintendo buys Sega, but even now that the companies are separate, they are team players.

Pac-Man is safe if Namco works on the game. The company could feel shafted if they are not asked to come back for a sequel, despite their work on Smash 4 being excellent.

Megaman and Ryu go hand-in-hand. If one gets in, the other does as well. Both iconic characters and both translated into fun, creative Smash fighters.

Bayonetta 2 & 3 are published by Nintendo. If Nintendo wants Bayonetta to feature in Smash, there she will be. However, Bayonetta is an easy drop if Nintendo wants to use the development time for a different 3rd party entry. She is not as iconic as the other guest characters.

Cloud depends on Square-Enix's mood. Maybe they would also like to switch out Cloud for a different character. I wouldn't mind a Moogle.

D

Deleted member

Cloud depends on Square-Enix's mood. Maybe they would also like to switch out Cloud for a different character. I wouldn't mind a Moogle.
Yeah, no.
If they even think about being finicky about the character choice, they're out of the running.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
:4sonic:=:4bayonetta:>:4pacman:>:4megaman:>>:4ryu:>:4cloud:=:snake:

Sonic, Bayonetta, PacMan and Mega Man are almost surely coming back, while Ryu and Cloud are a little more unlikely in comparision.

I put Snake on the same level as Cloud because of the massive support he received during the ballot. Sakurai, Nintendo and Konami must have seen that, so I think that they will at the very least talk about it (especially since they will probably do it anyway for Bomberman).

And for the people saying that Snake got in Brawl because of Kojima, while that is true, remember that Yuji Naka requested Sonic for Melee to Sakurai, but wasn't added due to time constrictions. Sonic was added in Brawl...a couple years AFTER Naka left SEGA. And he came back in Smash for. The fact that Kojima left Konami really isn't that relevant now.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Yeah, no.
If they even think about being finicky about the character choice, they're out of the running.
I disagree. Popular characters like Black Mage and Mog debuted on a Nintendo system. And what if Square-Enix wants Geno? People have been screaming for his inclusion for a long time.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I should probably start mentally preparing myself for this. Don't really want the Rabbids in Smash, but since Kingdom Battle is on its way to selling over one million copies (without the help of sales from Japan), it's something that could definitely happen.
Yeah, Kingdom Battle is a beast. Including Mario and aspects of his universe helps a lot of course, but the Rabbids alongside him will definitely gain more acknowledgment. While Ubisoft may opt to suggest Rayman as their representative for Smash, I doubt they'll leave the Rabbids completely out of Smash, so expect to see them in some form haha.

Speaking of sales, today we found out how Mario + Rabbids did in Japan (it released there last week). Apparently it was #1 with over 66,000 copies sold. Will definitely top 100K there during the following weeks and help the overall sales quite a bit, which I assume are already over a million worldwide. Fun fact: the best selling Rayman & Rabbids title in Japan was Raving Rabbids on the Wii which sold a total of 14,000... so quite a jump from that, just after the first week. But again, Mario's face on the box art most likely helps sales.

I'd rank them pretty much the same as you. I'm fairly confident in Bayonetta returning, Nintendo has really taken the franchise under its wing with the multiple (re-)releases of Bayo 1 & 2 and an exclusive Bayo 3 on the way to Switch. They really want people to get into Bayonetta.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Cloud probably has the worst chances of returning, simply because of the way the Final Fantasy franchise was handled in Smash 3DS / Wii U.

D

Deleted member

I disagree. Popular characters like Black Mage and Mog debuted on a Nintendo system. And what if Square-Enix wants Geno? People have been screaming for his inclusion for a long time.
None of that matters. Literally none of it.

Was Black Mage the one who was the most requested Final Fantasy character on the Ballot? No. Cloud was.
Did Cloud debut on a Nintendo system? No. But he got in anyway.
Did Sakurai want to include Geno in Smash? Yes. But he made him a costume, and it's not like Square can just demand he be playable instead and it be so. It's not their call.

Why in the bloody hell would someone get in over Cloud in the future? Use your head.
If Sakurai/whoever goes to Square again to negotiate a character, it's going to be for Cloud again. If Square does the childish "no, put in -insert character- instead" thing, then neither of those characters are making it in. End of story.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Hey, have your hopes up. Maybe Sakurai will add all the third-parties from Smash 4, and even slightly more. We need slightly more third-parties, even though this is a Nintendo game. ( I would say 8 third-parties in total is a good amount -- 9 would be too much ).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't see another Final Fantasy character being picked over Cloud, but I feel like the fact that they used a general Final Fantasy symbol for Cloud (over something FF7 specific, like the meteor from the game's logo) leaves the door open for another Final Fantasy character to be added alongside him.

It seems unlikely, since we haven't gotten more than one character per third party franchise before, but the same could be said for having more than one character per third party company until Ryu was added.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I really hope that if we get another Square-Enix character, it's from another franchise.
Maybe one that should become more popular in the west.
Maybe one that starts with Dragon and ends with Quest. :p :)
I mean, it's not like it isn't already huge or anything... But it needs more appreciation outside Japan.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
None of that matters. Literally none of it.

Was Black Mage the one who was the most requested Final Fantasy character on the Ballot? No. Cloud was.
Did Cloud debut on a Nintendo system? No. But he got in anyway.
Did Sakurai want to include Geno in Smash? Yes. But he made him a costume, and it's not like Square can just demand he be playable instead and it be so. It's not their call.

Why in the bloody hell would someone get in over Cloud in the future? Use your head.
If Sakurai/whoever goes to Square again to negotiate a character, it's going to be for Cloud again. If Square does the childish "no, put in -insert character- instead" thing, then neither of those characters are making it in. End of story.
Square-Enix and Nintendo have collaborated on games such as Mario Hoops. Companies cultivate business relationships with each other for shared gain.

If Square-Enix suggests that Geno or Black Mage or Mog would be a beneficial addition to Nintendo either to promote another team effort or whatever reason, and Nintendo says they would only have the time for one of their characters, both companies could agree to replace Cloud for Geno.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You act like you're the producer of the game.
I guess Golden was trying to say that Cloud isn't likely to be cut in favor of Black Mage or Mog. Especially the later.

I like Black Mage and all but there's no way I could see SE taking out Cloud and adding him in. Although it would be nice if he got in. I liked his playstyle in SSF2.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If I had to include Labo as a character, I would opt for a Mecha Suit designed out of cardboard, complete with a station for the large sized controller (which acts as the engine). All of Labo's B moves would be refolding into a vehicle or apparatus essentially making all of his moves like Wario's bike. And of course the fishing rod as a grab.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'd do the Smash 3rd Party character thing but honestly it'd just be the same as everyone else's. I dunno, I might put Bayonetta as the very first one since Nintendo seems to have their own personal stake in the character so, eh:
:4bayonetta:>:4sonic:=:4megaman:=:4pacman:>:4ryu:>:4cloud:>:snake:

Obviously if Nintendo is going to continue their support for the Bayonetta franchise, then she is going to stay in Smash, she's basically a Nintendo character at this point. Bayonetta 1, 2, & 3 on Switch? Published by Nintendo? Yeah, she's safe.

Sonic is safe too considering Mania and Forces and Sega's good relationship with Nintendo.

Mega Man has Mega Man Legacy Collection 1, 2, & X; and Mega Man 11. And that's all this year. Yeah, the Blue Bomber is going to stick around.

Pac-Man is fine too. There's plenty of Pac-Man games on Switch with Namco Museum and Championship Edition. Plus, if Namco is helping out he's probably safer than Sonic.

With Ryu the only thing that goes against him is SFV's PlayStation Exclusive deal. He's got Ultra Street Fighter 2 as a Switch exclusive and the anniversary collection on the way. If he doesn't make it back I'll be incredibly surprised.

Cloud is not as unlikely to return as I feel most people point out. There's no obvious reason to assume Square-Enix didn't support his inclusion. People sometimes bring up the music? I think that's because of the rush to get him in. He was shown and then released like 3 weeks apart. Square-Enix has supported Switch just fine and I don't think the fact there's no mainline FF games on Switch yet makes him unlikely. He's a big deal and I'm sure Square-Enix will try to keep him in at all costs come next game, especially if FFVII Remake is soon.

Snake... Snake's not in a good spot. Not only does he not have any games on Switch yet, he's also got to deal with the fact that Konami is not in the public favor at all. Neither is Metal Gear for that matter. I put him on here because, as unlikely as he is, I still find him possible. The moment a Metal Gear game comes to Switch is the moment when his chances jump. I wouldn't doubt Konami is trying to get Phantom Pain on there, which I'd kill for. But, yeah, he's possible but very unlikely. That's all there really is to say.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't see another Final Fantasy character being picked over Cloud, but I feel like the fact that they used a general Final Fantasy symbol for Cloud (over something FF7 specific, like the meteor from the game's logo) leaves the door open for another Final Fantasy character to be added alongside him.

It seems unlikely, since we haven't gotten more than one character per third party franchise before, but the same could be said for having more than one character per third party company until Ryu was added.
Honestly, Sonic is the only third-party franchise with a decent chance of receiving a second character, and that's only because Sega sticks so close with Nintendo. Why in the world would Sakurai stick his head out for FF over the others when the company that owns it doesn't even seem to care? Unless a specific FF character suddenly gets worldwide fan demand comparable to Sonic or Mega Man, it probably ain't happening.

In the meantime, seeing this over Ike or Cloud would be hilarious. xD
Cloud: "Limits are meant to be broken."

Labo Cutout Man: *pulls out Joy Con and launches Cloud off the stage.

Cloud is not as unlikely to return as I feel most people point out. There's no obvious reason to assume Square-Enix didn't support his inclusion. People sometimes bring up the music? I think that's because of the rush to get him in. He was shown and then released like 3 weeks apart.
There's also the lack of any FF trophies besides Cloud and the absence of the English VA (who said he was totally surprised he wasn't contacted for the job). There was six months of time between Ryu and Cloud, so time couldn't have been that much of a pressing issue. Overall, everything just seems to add up to a lack of effort on SE's part.

One more thing worth bringing up is the amiibo. It took a full year and a half before the final three (technically six) were released. Why did it take so long? Nothing has ever been said on why this happened, but I remember someone theorizing that Nintendo was having trouble coming to an agreement on how much of the amiibo's profit would be given to SE. There's nothing to suggest this is true, so this theory is completely baseless. Still, that idea goes right along with the subpar representation of FF in Smash and explains why Corrin, a Nintendo character, and Bayonetta, a second Sega character, took so long.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
:4sonic:>:4megaman:=:4pacman:>:4bayonetta:>:4ryu:>:4cloud:>:snake:

They made a big deal out of having Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man all in one game. I really don't think they'll remove them unless some unfixable issue comes up.

Bayonetta is the next likely because she was voted in (and taking her out would anger the fans) but more so because Bayonetta 3 is a Switch exclusive, so there's really no reason to remove her. I highly doubt Platinum Games would tell them to take her out.

Ryu and Cloud are both up in the air. They were both seemingly added for their importance in gaming history and how iconic they are. The reason I say Ryu over Cloud is just because Ryu is important to fighting games specifically (Smash wouldn't exist without him), Ryu already has a game on the Switch (showing Capcom's support for the series on switch), and Cloud is much more associated with Sony than Nintendo. If SE announced the FFVII Remake for a Switch release (which I kinda doubt; it looks like PS4-level power game) whenever it comes out, that'd make Cloud much more likely.

I'd be pretty damn surprised if Snake gets back in, unless some sort of MGS collection was announced beforehand.

Overall, I'd be at least mildly surprised if any of the 3rd party characters in Smash 4 get cut, besides Ryu and Cloud. For those two I wouldn't really be surprised either way.

People like to think they're "in the know", but the majority aren't. We aren't privy to the intricacies and what goes on behind closed doors.

It would be a shock to see Cloud be "replaced" but stranger things have happened. There are very few things you can rule out in Smash...

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
GAME: Come up with a potential mechanic for a new character.

You can just list the mechanic, and not necessarily the character.
We will see if any of these ideas appear in the next Smash.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
This made me imagine Sakurai coming into the thread and arguing with us about his decisions.
GAME: Come up with a potential mechanic for a new character.

You can just list the mechanic, and not necessarily the character.
We will see if any of these ideas appear in the next Smash.
The character has three different options for each of their moves. A random one is chosen each time they input the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom