• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
Loz18 talked about the Heroes vs Villains thing and to basically 'wait and see what he meant'.

And then boom, K.Rool's trailer opens with a heroes vs villains thing.
Interestingly enough, the first thing to mention the Heroes vs Villains concept thing was that one week a little before E3. The one that had Mimikyu, Porky, Samurai Goroh and all of those characters. Likely not related I just thought it was interesting.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Does anyone here think Mega Man can get a new rep (not Proto Man, Zero or Bass :crying:)? I kinda want to see Roll, but her chances are way lower than the three characters mentioned above that got deconfirmed.
I wonder where Elec-man is...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Alright, can someone please fill me in on the Gardevoir/Gothitelle leak?

I've been hearing about the two Pokemon being in this leak frequently, but also only very recently. I don't know the details of the leak in it's entirety.
Leak claiming to have been a guy who got a peek as the source code correctly guessed Richter, K. Rool an Dark Samus were in. The others were Mario2 (placeholder?), Gardevoir and as an echo of Gardevoir, Gothitelle.

It's either legit or someone who got on the same wavelength as Sakurai, even for a minute.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm just going to say to respond to a comment lost in the middle of this... It's very clear that the 103 stages we have are in fact ALL of the stages, at least in the initial release and at least for multiplayer normal stages (doesn't rule out DLC stages, single player only stages, or stage builder). They made a big show of the relative stage count between Smash Ultimate and every previous Smash game, and they spend like a solid minute discussing the number. On the site, for the sections about all the item stuff (normal items, Pokemon, etc.) they were sure to note "and more" but the stage page has nothing of the sort. They even put stages up on the site that they never mentioned or showed in the direct other than as icons on the stage select screen or in any previous releases of information like Mushroom Kingdom 64; that's not how a staggered release of information works. People like to act like Sakurai and the Smash marketing team are tricky but they really aren't; they have only an interest in accurately conveying information about the game.

And yes, this means that almost assuredly all new characters will be from franchises already in Smash (at least until DLC hits). In both Brawl and 4 (either version of 4!), the only character not to have a stage from his or her own series is R.O.B. who is clearly a pretty special case since he's not actually a character based on Nintendo software but rather on Nintendo hardware. I suppose you could argue maybe we'll have a left field character like Labo cardboard man who is similar, and I won't say that's impossible, but I would say that characters like Isaac and Lloyd are very unlikely for this reason. Really the only third parties who seem likely at this point beyond what we know are obvious echo cases (like Shadow or Ms. Pac-Man) or maybe someone like Geno who could fairly be grouped in with the Mario series.
Except playable franchises not getting a stage isn't unheard of.
  • Neither Ness nor Falcon had a stage in 64. This was obviously fixed in Melee, but that's beside the point.
  • Marth and Roy never got a stage in Melee. One was planned, yes, but it didn't quite make it.
  • R.O.B., you already explained.
  • And then there's the fact that Duck Hunt didn't get a stage in Smash 3DS until a patch gave out the Wii U stage for free.
We can easily get something like a Golden Sun character without a stage and it'd feel right at home anyway.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Stage ideas. Like what, you want something from Colors? Starlight Carnival, Aquarium Park, Tropical Resort?

Try Sonic Mania Plus by the way. Consistent high scores and reviews.

With the right team behind it (people who give a ****), Sonic is... good stuff.
Can't help but notice there's no IGN score there. :laugh:

Not that I blame them, IGN gave Sonic Mania Plus an average score because the $5.00 DLC didn't have more stuff in it (I mean, what were they expecting besides the two new characters, two new Game Modes, two new levels and new Bonus Stage?).

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Except playable franchises not getting a stage isn't unheard of.
  • Neither Ness nor Falcon had a stage in 64. This was obviously fixed in Melee, but that's beside the point.
  • Marth and Roy never got a stage in Melee. One was planned, yes, but it didn't quite make it.
  • R.O.B., you already explained.
  • And then there's the fact that Duck Hunt never got a stage in Smash 3DS until a patch gave out the Wii U stage for free.
We can easily get something like a Golden Sun character without a stage and it'd feel right at home anyway.
Man, now I really want a Smash 64 Mod that expands upon the game itself. :4charizard:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I hope that your dream inclusion can come true.

The monday before the direct, I dreamt that the fighters were attacking a giant, robotic wind-up doll of Wario that was just sitting there. I still don't know if it means there will be new Wario-related content or not...
Thanks. Of course, just because we have these dreams doesn't mean they're visions or that they're gonna come true. It probably means either we want it to happen or we're afraid it'll happen. In my case I'm afraid it'll happen. I'm guessing in your case you want it to happen

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Does anyone here think Mega Man can get a new rep (not Proto Man, Zero or Bass :crying:)? I kinda want to see Roll, but her chances are way lower than the three characters mentioned above that got deconfirmed.
If there's a snowball's chance in hell of getting Protman, Bass or Mega Man X. I WANT IT TO HAPPEN! Zero's had enough fighting games, he'd be okay, but a boring choice compared to literally any other Mega Man character.

But I have a better idea...

DR. WILY...With Eggman/Robotnik as an echo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Imo what makes the datamine leak bull**** is the fact he said “it disappeared without a trace shortly after I cracked it”

Sure Jan.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
I doubt we'll get anything. Zero was always the most popular character other than Mega Man.
The only way we'll get one is if they take a character from the Final Smash and make him playable, or promote Zero. Alternatively they can put Model ZX or Rockman Zero.Nobody wants Roll tbh.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Yeah, I really don't buy it to be frank.

We've already discussed to death how the stage select screen has 6 oddly empty spots on the bottom row, and for 4(5) previous Smash games that Sakurai centers his menus as best as he can.

Unless they already have DLC planned out to be exactly 6 new stages, I highly doubt it and feel like they're saving stages for newcomer reveals.

The website read "65 characters!" for the longest time, but that obviously changed.
Preach it! When I watched that portion of the direct, as well as saw the six empty slots, I didn't think for a second that Sakurai meant there were no more stage reveals.

With how much work is being put into Ultimate, why would Sakurai make 4 brand new stages and just leave it at that. It just make zero sense to me.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I doubt we'll get anything. Zero was always the most popular character other than Mega Man.
The only way we'll get one is if they take a character from the Final Smash and make him playable, or promote Zero. Alternatively they can put Model ZX or Rockman Zero.Nobody wants Roll tbh.
Mighty Number 9...jk

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hmmm. Now that I think about it, he's still in the clear!

But what if Dr. Wily got in? Probably will never happen, but I can't much for him.
Dr. Wily is a Pokemon Trainer style character, except he throws in robot masters instead of Pokemon...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The rest isn't even worth saying. This is the nail in the coffin right here. Stage number cannot be assumed to be final.

Are people really not aware of how game marketing works or do they just really not want to entertain the idea of Isaac or another rep from new IP?
Even if it's not from a new IP, there are a few series I wouldn't rule out for a new stage just yet. Sun and Moon not getting anything would be surprising, especially if it's getting a rep on the roster.

I suppose 103 could be the final number, but I assumed that meant we had seen the remaining returning stages. Seems like a safe bet to say new stages will probably roll out alongside new characters.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Can't help but notice there's no IGN score there. :laugh:

Not that I blame them, IGN gave Sonic Mania Plus an average score because the $5.00 DLC didn't have more stuff in it (I mean, what were they expecting besides the two new characters, two new Game Modes, two new levels and new Bonus Stage?).
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, by IGN: 7.8/10.

IGN: "Too much characters".

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If there's another ballot, I'm voting Mega Man X. No, I don't care if it's a "wasted vote". Virtually every character I would want is already playable.

Wood Man, Fire Man, and Bubble Man
I was thinking of putting him in a small mech and he uses moves based on the many Wily Machines.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, by IGN: 7.8/10

IGN: "Too much characters".
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 4.20/10 - "It's not Melee."
If there's another ballot, I'm voting Mega Man X. No, I don't care if it's a "wasted vote". Virtually every character I would want is already playable..
If there's another ballot, my vote will depend on who gets made playable in the base game, so I can't give an answer to that kind of question.

Sakurai: We'll be holding another ballot. The votes will be used to decide DLC... for real this time.

Actually, it might be a good idea to hold two ballots, an open one and a closed one:
In the closed ballot, you vote for characters who are already in the game, but not playable, to get upgraded as DLC; picking from a limited pool of options.​
In the open ballot. you vote for characters who aren't in the game, functioning the same way as last time.​

Eh, probably loopiness from being tired.

Anyway. I really need to get going. I'll see you guys later. Ciao.

D

Deleted member

Simon: Big Gay
Richter: Unfortunately Straight
Chrom: Disaster
Dark Samus: Dark Lesbian
K.Rool: Kloseted

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

If there's another ballot, my vote will depend on who gets made playable in the base game, so I can't give an answer to that kind of question.

Sakurai: We'll be holding another ballot. The votes will be used to decide DLC... for real this time.

Actually, it might be a good idea to hold two ballots, an open one and a closed one:
In the closed ballot, you vote for characters who are already in the game, but not playable, to get upgraded as DLC; picking from a limited pool of options.​
In the open ballot. you vote for characters who aren't in the game, functioning the same way as last time.​

I actually like this idea! It probably wouldn’t apply to Assist Trophies, I’d imagine you’re implying that from “limited pool of options” but would include some Final Smash characters as well as stage only non-veteran characters (Pauline, Ms. Pac-Man, Captain Toad) right?

And the ballots (at least the open one if not the closed one) would be on going for certain “seasons” right?

Xgears

Smash Apprentice

If there's a ballot for NPC characters Waluigi will probably win. This kind of ballot seems like a Pandora's Box to be honest because people will still ask for more. I don't expect any characters from Mega Man because most people don't care about the Franchise.

Luminario

Smash Lord
It's so funny seeing some of you lot react to the Gardevoir leak. If it was someone like Isaac with a Matthew echo y'all would be clinging to it like gospel. God, if it was Sceptile with a Leavanny echo or something I'd expect better reactions. I'm not saying it's likely at all, but it's still funny.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
If there's another ballot, I'm voting Mega Man X. No, I don't care if it's a "wasted vote". Virtually every character I would want is already playable.

I was thinking of putting him in a small mech and he uses moves based on the many Wily Machines.
If we can't get Zero then X will do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom