• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Would we even expect anything in December? The game comes out the 7th, and while it'd be possible, you think they'd want to give us a bit of time to digest everything.

A November info dump seems like it'd work best, since I can't imagine them dumping the rest of the roster in October, that'd be a bit early.
I could see them releasing one last newcomer a few days before launch just for one last hype boost.

But having a big final direct towards mid/late November seems more likely

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Would we even expect anything in December? The game comes out the 7th, and while it'd be possible, you think they'd want to give us a bit of time to digest everything.

A November info dump seems like it'd work best, since I can't imagine them dumping the rest of the roster in October, that'd be a bit early.
I'm predicting a General direct in September covering online, another Smash Direct in October covering the hidden mode and a 50 Fact Extravaganza 2 in November.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Being new wouldn't hold him back as he was pretty popular on the ballot (at least in Japan), what would hold him back is Sakurai still pretending like any Kirby games except the four he directed don't exist.
Except he IS noticing Kirby games he didn’t direct.

Iirc, he revealed Woolly World was first planned to be an Epic Yarn stage before being redone as a Woolly World stage.

Not to mention Meta Knight getting a Galacta Knight alt AND Kirby’s Ultra Sword Final Smash.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay, so...

Based on previous discussions, I wrote down some Echoes, enough Potential Echoes for each game in the Smash series to equal 8 if you included already confirmed ones.

64 Echoes
Jumpman (Mario), Funky Kong (Donkey Kong), Boshi (Yoshi), Pachirisu (Pikachu), Dr. Luigi (Luigi), Jody Summers (Captain Falcon)​
Melee Echoes
Impa (Sheik), Hilda (Zelda), Emolga (Pichu), Ravio (Young Link), Black Shadow (Ganondorf)​
Brawl Echoes
Galacta Knight (Meta Knight), The Boss (Snake), Black Knight (Ike), Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong), Shadow (Sonic), Tetra (Toon Link), Zoroark (Wolf)​
Sm4sh Echoes
Isabelle (Villager), Roll (Mega Man), Medusa (Palutena), Celica (Robin), Malos (Shulk), Ken (Ryu), Zack (Cloud), Jeanne (Bayonetta)​

...What?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Fair...but Knuckles for example also doesn't use Shadow's most famous ability in his AT whilst the Moon would seem to take Skull Kid's most famous ability surely taking away from the character's moveset?

Very odd to me, but maybe I'm wrong? Smash does break rules, maybe they'll have a Final Smash and an Assist Trophy do the exact same thing but I'm doubting it.

We'll see soon I guess. After Ashley's reveal I'm a lot more cautious about missing ATs.
Skull Kid’s finals smash could also be Majora’s Wrath or something else. Maybe they figured that’d work better, then they added the Moon as an AT

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Skull Kid’s finals smash could also be Majora’s Wrath or something else. Maybe they figured that’d work better, then they added the Moon as an AT
Majoras Wrath makes more sense because Majora fully takes control of Skull Kid and unleashes her full power.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'm predicting a General direct in September covering online, another Smash Direct in October covering the hidden mode and a 50 Fact Extravaganza 2 in November.
something like this, except just an online direct in september, and then an info dump early November.

Like, I know we've mostly had two big info dumps on this game (and that inkling reveal) but... I could see us getting one more small reveal. Maybe. We'll see.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Would be a missed opportunity IMO. If they're going for more cinematic Final Smashes, then the Moon would've been absolutely perfect for Skull Kid.

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030

Doesn't seem too likely to me honestly. By December, the game should have already been sent to reviewers and what not. I don't think it would work for The Game Awards either since the game would already be out in Japan by the time it that event is happening.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's already odd that the Moon is an AT while also appearing in Great Bay, we can have two of them on the screen at once which will look really bizarre. It could still be a Final Smash, or if Skull Kid is in he could just have something completely different for whatever reason, I don't think we can draw anything conclusive from it one way or the other.

All we can say for sure is that his AT is still missing in action, we'll just have to wait and see if he'll be a Dark Samus or an Ashley in that regard.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Would be a missed opportunity IMO. If they're going for more cinematic Final Smashes, then the Moon would've been absolutely perfect for Skull Kid.
The Moon is definitely more iconic but maybe they wanted to give Majora something to do since I don’t know what other moves would involve the mask besides a big scale FS

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Obviously, Skull Kid would take notes from K. Rool and recreate a game over screen for his Final Smash.

Except... y'know... much faster.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
something like this, except just an online direct in september, and then an info dump early November.
Yeah you're probably right. They'll probably reveal every character by early November because let's be honest the game is going to leak by the end of the month.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's really odd that The Moon is an assist trophy if Skull Kid also is.

Like, why not combine them? I know they do different things, but I don't think people liked Skull Kid's effects anyways.

Just change Skull Kid so that he calls down the moon.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It's already odd that the Moon is an AT while also appearing in Great Bay, we can have two of them on the screen at once which will look really bizarre. It could still be a Final Smash, or if Skull Kid is in he could just have something completely different for whatever reason, I don't think we can draw anything conclusive from it one way or the other.

All we can say for sure is that his AT is still missing in action, we'll just have to wait and see if he'll be a Dark Samus or an Ashley in that regard.
Great Bay's Moon doesn't interact with the stage because the Four Giants push it back before it has a chance to. It's basically more of an Easter Egg.

Shroob

Sup?
That is a rather specific RPG angle to use...

Far as I know, Golden Sun is the only one with that angle.
Okay now that is suspicious.

I know it's probably due to just wanting to get the model in the shot while holding a decent action pose, but it definitely LOOKS like a Golden Sun battle.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
The Moon is definitely more iconic but maybe they wanted to give Majora something to do since I don’t know what other moves would involve the mask besides a big scale FS
I could see the Mask pop off and says "The puppet's role has ended" and then the Mask goes beserk and mimics the first form of the final boss fight.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd imagine we'd probably know everything at November (if not through Sakurai, then probably through some legit leak) Though I guess we can probably expect a surprise announcement of upcoming DLC at that point though like what they did with Mewtwo last time. (assuming that won't piss people off if BotW's DLC announcement is anything to go by...)

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Yeah you're probably right. They'll probably reveal every character by early November because let's be honest the game is going to leak by the end of the month.
Early November or Late October. The game will easily break street date; I have absolutely no question about it. I think Nintendo's aware of the leaks so they've been working as hard as they can to keep a tight lid on everything, which is why we're four months to release and still have a vague idea at the final roster.

Okay now that is suspicious.

I know it's probably due to just wanting to get the model in the shot while holding a decent action pose, but it definitely LOOKS like a Golden Sun battle.
the takahashi brothers are known for their shots...

please don't let this be false hope. MANY people here know how long I've waited for Isaac and Geno. It's been an over ten year wait for me. At least I already have King K. Rool, Ridley, and Richter...

(those two are my most wanted characters with an actual shot left that aren't Flavor of the Week)

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'd imagine we'd probably know everything at November (if not through Sakurai, then probably through some legit leak) Though I guess we can probably expect a surprise announcement of upcoming DLC at that point though. (assuming that won't piss people off if BotW's DLC announcement is anything to go by...)
Announcing DLC in fighting games before the game even launches is often a shady move. Cross Tag Battle, Injustice 2, Marvel Infinite and FighterZ have all been guilty of this one way or another.

But Sakurai figured out how to make that hype because last game, Mewtwo, a highly-requested returning vet, was announced to be the first DLC in the 50-Fact Extravaganza. Everyone was more hyped than pissed about that one.

Though the timing was good too; it was one month after 3DS was released but one month before Wii U would.

Dropping the DLC bomb in November could lead to a similar situation.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
1533956841920.png 1533767214010.jpg goldensunlookingimage.jpg goldensunbattledragon.jpg

After the "Red Eyes" hint sakurai teased which turned out to be "bloody tears" and K Rool... I cant take these hints man!

and then we have "spirits" mode hidden and we have luigi turning into a ghost in the trailer... what is going on why is sakurai doing this to us!!?? haha

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
After the "Red Eyes" hint sakurai teased which turned out to be "bloody tears" and K Rool... I cant take these hints man!

and then we have "spirits" mode hidden and we have luigi turning into a ghost in the trailer... what is going on why is sakurai doing this to us!!?? haha
I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai did all these hints just to mindgame us :laugh:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
And still no hints about Geno unfortunately...

I don't know anything about Golden Sun. I played it a long time ago, but I don't remember a lot about it. So I'm just going to take y'alls word on that

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Announcing DLC in fighting games before the game even launches is often a shady move. Cross Tag Battle, Injustice 2, Marvel Infinite and FighterZ have all been guilty of this one way or another.

But Sakurai figured out how to make that hype because last game, Mewtwo, a highly-requested returning vet, was announced to be the first DLC in the 50-Fact Extravaganza. Everyone was more hyped than pissed about that one.

Though the timing was good too; it was one month after 3DS was released but one month before Wii U would.

Dropping the DLC bomb in November could lead to a similar situation.
Well... Short version is, from being around game marketing enough, a lot of the time they're announced it's also not in a tasteful light in general for DLC. Cross Tag Battle's problem was that they announced half the roster would be DLC before actually explaining their business model and nobody could articulate it.

Mewtwo was free for all people that owned the 3DS+Wii U version of the stage and Miiverse was also free, but you could also feel it was genuinely a tasteful choice.

Regardless... I don't know anymore. I feel their best bet though is they should come out and say "Hey we're actively doing patching and patch notes" - like please give us patch notes lol.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team

I don't know anything about Golden Sun. I played it a long time ago, but I don't remember a lot about it. So I'm just going to take y'alls word on that
We're this close my dude.

Geno and Isaac. I believe. If not, I believe in a well-coordinated DLC campaign.

Ridley and K. Rool getting in along with the deconfirmation of Waluigi and Captain Toad help Geno a lot though.

At this point, it's either him or Paper Mario.
I'd say "possibly both" but we're so down to the wire that even I doubt that lol.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Majora's Moon is legitimatelly one of the most terrifying things I've ever seen lmao. That evil face.. those teeth..

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
View attachment 157242View attachment 157243View attachment 157244View attachment 157245

For Palutena's sake, the red eyes thing wasn't a tease! Have you even seen his face? He really had red eyes due to being tired. You shouldn't pretend that everything Sakurai does, says or has in his background is a tease for a new fighter.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
View attachment 157242View attachment 157243View attachment 157244View attachment 157245

Okay, well since people are noticing hints and to spare vaanrose vaanrose having to do this himself.

He pointed this out to me in private. That room?

It's not the only room that's suspicious and has since been proven to potentially be hints:

cyvJKN6.png

Look at that suspicious rope ladder and barrel. This was the E3 room.

Whose it remind you of? What games? A certain game about monkeys battling a certain crocodile?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

It's not so much as the Moon appearing in multiple places as it is the weird execution. I agree that the Moon could still be Skull Kid's FS, but I don't see why they'd do something so weird and seemingly lazy. Why go through the effort to make the Moon an AT that crashes onto the stage and KOs everyone if Skull Kid can do the same move in his FS?

I wouldn't be suprised if all of this amounts to nothing and we overanalyzed it for no reason.

Keep in mind that people are thinking Goku is possible because of a Dragon Ball reference.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Can we all just agree that this is a ****ing reference for once?

Sakurai's already shown to **** with us for this game, and he singles out this specific picture.

Yeah, it 'could' mean nothing, but that ****ing angle is as Golden Sun as you're gonna get, and he just happens to tweet about it?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

at this point im not even worried about Geno having no "leaks" or "hints" he seems extremely likely anyway.

honestly feel like he might be the FINAL character reveal (sakurai said he'd reveal everyone before the games release) and i could see Geno being this games "top secret" character that hes extra careful to make sure he doesnt get leaked, if hes the final hype reveal.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Okay, well since people are noticing hints and to spare vaanrose vaanrose the potential chaos and insanity and YOU REALLY BELIEVE THIS OF IT ALL?

He pointed this out to me in private. That room? It's not the only room that's suspicious and has since been proven to potentially be hints:

Look at that suspicious rope ladder and barrel. This was the E3 room.

Whose it remind you of? What games? A certain game about monkeys battling a certain crocodile?
Yeah, Sakurai is known not to do things like that, but maybe this time he's making an exception due to this entry being more specifically focused on fanservice and fan favorites. Maybe this time he just want to tease us for real.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Also, that Rathalos picture is probably just a coincidence.

Don't forget the camera in Smash is actually pretty limited for us players, everyone.

Maybe that's just the best angle possible for him to do that kind of shot?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Can we all just agree that this is a ****ing reference for once?

Sakurai's already shown to **** with us for this game, and he singles out this specific picture.

Yeah, it 'could' mean nothing, but that ****ing angle is as Golden Sun as you're gonna get, and he just happens to tweet about it?
I think people are focusing too much on the angle and not looking at the picture itself. This could just be Sakurai trying to recreate a Monster Hunter scene and tweeting it since the series is so popular in Japan.

I wouldn't say this is 100% a Golden sun reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom