• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Direct before the game's launch is going to be nuts if we're still roughly four months out but still got a whopping 5 characters in half an hour. Wasn't the 50 Fact Extravaganza like 40 minutes long? Hold me...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Thoughts:
  • FYI the ??? on Dracula's Castle is Kid Dracula.
  • Dracula boss doesn't have platforms, seems to be a walk-off, and is different than the silhouette tease. Story Mode?
  • Getsu Fuuma Den is one of the songs on Dracula's Castle. Cool beans.
  • Shadow the Hedgehog is basically confirmed IMO as an Echo.
  • I find it both funny and weird that Chrom is a Roy Echo, but has Ike's Up-B.
  • If Chrom doesn't have a tipper, he'll automatically rank higher than Roy on Tier Lists.
  • Mega Man having an Echo would make a LOT of sense, but no Proto Man or Bass? Roll?
  • Dedede's fakeout was the best thing since ZSS being de-confirmed. I love Sakurai.
  • Chargeable Final Smashes will be the new Custom Move debate.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I almost forgot, alongside having both originators of the "Metroidvania" genre in one game, we also have the Captain N crew back together!

Megaman vs Pit vs Simon

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Chrom appears to be mostly based off of Roy and Ike though, so I wouldn't say he's really a fourth Marth.
Yes? And who is Roy based off of? The only Ike thing seems to be his Aether, but otherwise Chrom still has all of Roy's other properties such as the multihit up smash and reverse grip. Marth's moveset is still in the game four times (with a bit more spinning)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
My question is, if Chrom can be considered an echo but have a different special than Roy, why is Dr. Mario not considered an echo? What the heck makes an echo?

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I wonder if Shadow will borrow from Mewtwo, like his Up special for teleportation. That's something he does ALL the time.

Chaos Spear could borrow elements from Lucas' PK Fire perhaps.
Shadow's Chaos Control is too iconic to omit imo. Be it his recovery or dodging, it needs to be there.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well none of my picks appeared:(, but I'm slowly yet surely warming up to Simon and Richter (Richter looks so cool), their moveset look pretty cool so there's a silver lining I can look forward to.
Ahem.
HE GOT HIS CHANCE TODAAAAY IM SO FREAAAAKING HAPPY! CHROM! YES! AND AS A ROY ECHO?
Look at his mains
PERFECT
Meh I wanted a unique FE character and all we got wa-WAIT he's a Roy echo? That changes everything, Chrom is most likely gonna replace Roy, poor Roy:(
Ok but what if we’re getting a new Capcom rep but it’s not Ken, a new MM character or a MonHun character?

What if...Dante???

pls

He survived the AT chopping block too

Also didn’t a few leaks mention Dante as playable

Question for y’all -

Shovel Knight and Shantae were the two most popular indie choices in the ballot.

Today, SK got deconfirmed as an Assist Trophy.

Do you guys think Shantae still stands a chance for playable, though?
I wouldn't mind Monster Hunter as a character for sure.

As for Shantae if my one theory about the breadcrumb clues about Shantae's new Jammies mode is true and 'ULTIMATE SLEEPOVER PARTY' and 'EVERYONE IS INVITED' means something, and she escape AT hell (condolences to the fallen especially Ashley who I wanted:(), then I say her chances as newcomer are better than before.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Thinking back on how Toad was sidelined in Smash 4 while looking to these interviews by this point, it's pretty obvious that Sakurai sees Geno in much higher priority and potential than Toad - especially after three games have gone now to give Toad a chance to shine now. Hence I'm banking heavily on Geno to be the primary Mario-newcomer for this game. Though I guess I should have seen this even further coming after Toad's more proactive role on Peach's moveset.

With that, I really feel like Captain Toad's chances were probably busted long before the development on Ultimate started. Sakurai just doesn't see Toad as a stand-alone fighter for some reason, and I can't see how Captain's overall gimmick would win him over due how he's even less proactive than Toad in general.

Now to play the waiting game... :drshrug:
Predicted this, but now I wonder why it feels like a no-brainer now.

GameExplain must be quite bummed atm, BTW.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Do people believe Vergeben at this point or are some us still skeptical?

Darkraid

Smash Champion
To be fair, I don't think they'd reveal 2 unique fighters in the same trailer due to how they're included on fighter pages and stuff. Either she's unique or she's not in imo.
I think echoes are revealed differently than unique characters. Also, now that we know echo aren't necessarily reskins, it will make sense for Dixie to have some of Diddy's move and other character's moves.

There are no ''rules''

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Took long time enough to see it, but looks like he missed the boat again.

:drsad:
I'd worry about Captain Toad teetering so close to the edge, looking down from the top of the building. But luckily he can't jump.
/tooearlyforsuchdarkjokesimsorry

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
Do people believe Vergeben at this point or are some us still skeptical?
I did not believe him before but right now it's impossible not to. But I'm glad he did not leak Ritcher since that was such a neat surprise. I think I will use him instead of Belmnot tbh

KMDP

Smash Legend
I wonder if Shadow will borrow from Mewtwo, like his Up special for teleportation. That's something he does ALL the time.

Chaos Spear could borrow elements from Lucas' PK Fire perhaps.
Make it like Pit/Dark Pit's arrows, but they can't be controlled after firing (pick a direction and shoot).
Thoughts:
  • FYI the ??? on Dracula's Castle is Kid Dracula.
  • Dracula boss doesn't have platforms, seems to be a walk-off, and is different than the silhouette tease. Story Mode?
  • Getsu Fuuma Den is one of the songs on Dracula's Castle. Cool beans.
  • Shadow the Hedgehog is basically confirmed IMO as an Echo.
  • I find it both funny and weird that Chrom is a Roy Echo, but has Ike's Up-B.
  • If Chrom doesn't have a tipper, he'll automatically rank higher than Roy on Tier Lists.
  • Mega Man having an Echo would make a LOT of sense, but no Proto Man or Bass? Roll?
  • Dedede's fakeout was the best thing since ZSS being de-confirmed. I love Sakurai.
  • Chargeable Final Smashes will be the new Custom Move debate.
I am so ready for the hilarity of Chrom being higher tier than Roy. Sorry, arrboi.

I want Stage Switching to be part of the new competitive meta. :laugh:

This training mode is every labbers' dream (well, almost).
Not only do you get measurements, you also get decimalization of the attack power and knockback ranges.

I'm not even a competitive guy and I think it's a thing of beauty.

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Does anyone realize that the trailers have a surprisingly high body count? I swear to god if this leads to an Ayumi Tachibana reveal trailer where the ghosts of all of the dead fighters appear, then i wouldn't be surprised.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
dont worry it will be thoroughly rejected. as long as you build more meter giving damage than taking it i would be open to it personally but before we see change in the entire competitive community mindset on supers we need to address it on stages. That fight is already starting. there's no reason this game shouldn't have less than 15 legal stages now.
Unfortunately it seems the competitive community is aiming for a very conservative stage list (7-10) because they don't want to think about having too many stages to choose from. Sad but true. I tried supporting the idea of a liberal set list with as many usable stages as possible, but gave up.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
My question is, if Chrom can be considered an echo but have a different special than Roy, why is Dr. Mario not considered an echo? What the heck makes an echo?
Stats? Normal attacks? who knows sakurai is making this up as he goes along.

I think echoes are revealed differently than unique characters. Also, now that we know echo aren't necessarily reskins, it will make sense for Dixie to have some of Diddy's move and other character's moves.

There are no ''rules''
Richter is an echo and he was revealed in simon's trailer though, Lucina was in Robin's trailer, including Dixie if she's an echo in a trailer where the kongs fight Krool is the most obvious thing ever.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I feel like the blurred mode might be a new subspace or adventure mode, but I won't get my hopes up because whenever I hope for something it dies.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Yes? And who is Roy based off of? The only Ike thing seems to be his Aether, but otherwise Chrom still has all of Roy's other properties such as the multihit up smash and reverse grip. Marth's moveset is still in the game four times (with a bit more spinning)
Except Smash 4 Roy has some original moves, and is farther removed from Marth than Lucina is, so that's not a fair comparison.

For example, Chrom has Roy's Jab and Neutral B, which are moves Marth doesn't have.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I didn't see it, but I haven't gone back to pause and check. Anyone spot Pac-Maze on the stage selection screen?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
It's probably because, even though it's a different special, it's still ripped straight off of Ike, whereas Dr. Mario's down air is completely original, alongside the differences in movement properties.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Theory: All of the dead/dying characters in the trailers is leading up to a story mode.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh yeah, and Talking about Chrom, he seems to have an Up-tilt? That is more akin of Marth in Melee than Roy's Up-tilt...
I'm pretty much confused on what the heck make him an echo... I think he's just an Echo of Fire Emblem all together.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I like using Roy and I'm prepared to use Chrom over Roy too, but Roy's Up B is one of his best moves. We'll see how this plays out, though.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Does anyone realize that the trailers have a surprisingly high body count? I swear to god if this leads to an Ayumi Tachibana reveal trailer where the ghosts of all of the dead fighters appear, then i wouldn't be surprised.
Nah, it will lead to Phoenix Wright solving the cases surrounding these deaths.

And Yoshi is dying next.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It's probably because, even though it's a different special, it's still ripped straight off of Ike, whereas Dr. Mario's down air is completely original, alongside the differences in movement properties.
But they didn't need to change his down air, they could've left it as is and justified the down special since it's luigi's and the pills because dark pits arrows.

Honestly it's probably just because he's a veteran tbh

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You know I really don't think Richter should be an echo fighter, they're supposed to be for popular characters and no one even knows who he is-

richter.png

Never mind. He's cute. I support his inclusion.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I wonder if stage morph could be competitively viable with two distinct legal stages. I'd say it's worth a trial run.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
You know I really don't think Richter should be an echo fighter, they're supposed to be for popular characters and no one even knows who he is-

View attachment 156306

I assume he's popular among castlevania fans?

Plus as you said he's hot so he can stay, I'd much rather play as him than Simon

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
OHHHHHHHHHHH ****
I C A L L E D IT

EGO +100
CONFIDENCE + 100
CAN'T JUMP + 100
Lol there's no proof that his omission is related to jumping ability or lack thereof.

Even if that was never an issue he was hardly a lock.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

View attachment 156306

What do you mean? I don't play Castlevania and I know who Richter is. I didn't know he had his own games, but I know he was in the prologue of Symphony of the Night. He's also the original Belmont I think, or I guess the Jonathan Joestar of the series if that makes sense.

Simon is the 3rd Belmont which makes him the Jotaro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom