• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UserKev

Smash Champion
What about Zeraora makes it cheesy? As someone who wants Zeraora in the game, I just don't see it. I'm not gonna try to change your mind or anything like that, I'm just curious why you think so?
It remind me of Swatcats, an attempt at a cool 90s humanoid animal.
all of those words and none of them actually explained what is so cheesy about it
Because your offended. I don't care tho. I don't like Zeraora. I'm good at seeing creativity to.

D

Deleted member

Xbox has always notoriously sold terribly in Japan, and thus by association Halo won't be doing hot there, however that also means Banjo and any non-Steve Microsoft character also isn't doing any better in Japan the past 17 years.
Dang, I was hoping we could get Drake of the 99 Dragons in Smash.
220px-Drake_of_the_99_Dragons.jpg

Thanks for the response.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Halo is pretty niche in Japan despite being one of the better known FPS series in Japan, and the series' golden age was when FPS genre had little presence in Japan. Even now FPS is limited to a few games. Master Chief is known to those who played the games but not to many other people.

Europe, I'm not too sure of, but they have an official championship series...
European here, Halo was insanely huge in the 360 era, which for a while dominated the PS3 for years arround here. Nowadays I'm not that sure though because most the 360 people jumped to Sony when the Xbox One released

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
would Alolan Raichu work as an echo?
No, because its model wouldn't fit cleanly over Pikachu's. The tail especially would be a problem. Not that it matters much, considering it's already confirmed to be a pokeball pokemon.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It remind me of Swatcats, an attempt at a cool 90s humanoid animal.

Because your offended. I don't care tho. I don't like Zeraora. I'm good at seeing creativity to.
Offended?
I couldn't care less about Zeraora. I find it generic. I was just wondering what your problem with it was, haha. But if your response to a simple inquiry is "YOU'RE OFFEEEENDED!! REEEE" then I'm not interested anymore.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
My stance on leaks still is and always will be fake until proven real. Veggieburger has a lot going for him, but it's still not unimaginable for it to all be some huge fluke so far. And being able to say who the Pokemon newcomer isn't rather than who it is seems a little fishy to me. It's important for Simon and Isabelle fans to remember to hold your breath until actual announcements are made as nothing is at all guaranteed yet.
To me at least, it's the sort of genuine credibility of the leaker that has to be taken into consideration before I can trust them. Mostly since some leakers are true and some are all over the place like Vergeben and Liam Robertson

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Halo is pretty niche in Japan despite being one of the better known FPS series in Japan, and the series' golden age was when FPS genre had little presence in Japan. Even now FPS is limited to a few games. Master Chief is known to those who played the games but not to many other people.

Europe, I'm not too sure of, but they have an official championship series...
Did Banjo-Kazooie have any success over there in Japan in its Nintendo days? What about characters like Rayman, Shantae, etc.?

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Honestly regarding the Vergeben leaker, I do feel if that the gen 7 mon will make or break his leak. Decidueye and Mimikyu would destroy it, while other Gen 7 mons would skyrocket his credability ;)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Going to throw in my two cents I’m regards to these rumors, Vergeben, and these percentages people throw around.

I actually just read the full article that the Gen 7 Pokemon character in Ultimate is, as Vergeben has mentioned, "Not Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc". Not only does this, to me, make things interesting but it also hopefully puts things into perspective for these boards.

Who were considered the top 3 for Gen 7 Pokemon on Smashboards? Lycanrock, Mimikyu, and Decidueye.

if Vergeben does indeed get this right, I think everybody on this site needs to really stop and consider how we got this stuff wrong. Part of me will find it hilarious that it wasn't any of the "no-brainer" picks that this site seems to have the "ride or die" attitude toward, but I'm really just interested in gameplay at this point.

I'm also seeing more comments that suggest Vergeben is a fraud, or that he's seeking attention. I must say that all the people/posts saying that no cuts, Ridley and Snake weren't that hard to guess are absolutely going by revisionist history with this Smash Bros. game.

While Ridley showed up in plenty of leaks, Vergeben doubled down on his reveal at E3. He doubled down on Snake. Snake was not an easy pick to double down on whatsoever, because as a Snake fan myself (and the many others on this site) if anybody thought Snake was likely they were basically told they were delusional because "Konami sux lmao".

In regards to no cuts, I can confirm that the group of people thinking we'd get no cuts was definitely below 25%. For some time, I felt like I was pretty vocally in support of no cuts, and I was then told by multiple people (on this website) that, "There's no way! Cuts are inevitable!" or "You're looking through rose-tinted glasses, there's always cuts!". Yet here we are.

I'm not entirely sure why people are also just saying nasty things or assuming things about Vergeben when they don't even know the guy. Yeah, he's leaking information that he receives. Yeah, he's been wrong before. But the information with this game so far has been correct. It's like there are strangers on the internet who hate him because he's the one getting the information and they aren't.

It's just bizarre to me that people are legitimately saying that Vergeben is "slimy", an "attention seeker", a "liar"...like, if you were given information of this sort, you'd probably be doing the same thing. You'd also, considering you've had bad sources before, want to verify the information before you tell other people. Instead, people are literally just talking **** to/about a person they've never met, all because of information about a ****ing video game. It's nuts.
---
Anyway, I think if this information is correct it'll be refreshing. Not only has this board limited discussion to 3 characters mainly, but we really haven't seen a good discussion of other options. Personally, I think Incineroar, Kommo-O, or an Ultra Beast would be really cool in Smash. There's still plenty to talk about.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Going to throw in my two cents I’m regards to these rumors, Vergeben, and these percentages people throw around.

I actually just read the full article that the Gen 7 Pokemon character in Ultimate is, as Vergeben has mentioned, "Not Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc". Not only does this, to me, make things interesting but it also hopefully puts things into perspective for these boards.

Who were considered the top 3 for Gen 7 Pokemon on Smashboards? Lycanrock, Mimikyu, and Decidueye.

if Vergeben does indeed get this right, I think everybody on this site needs to really stop and consider how we got this stuff wrong. Part of me will find it hilarious that it wasn't any of the "no-brainer" picks that this site seems to have the "ride or die" attitude toward, but I'm really just interested in gameplay at this point.

I'm also seeing more comments that suggest Vergeben is a fraud, or that he's seeking attention. I must say that all the people/posts saying that no cuts, Ridley and Snake weren't that hard to guess are absolutely going by revisionist history with this Smash Bros. game.

While Ridley showed up in plenty of leaks, Vergeben doubled down on his reveal at E3. He doubled down on Snake. Snake was not an easy pick to double down on whatsoever, because as a Snake fan myself (and the many others on this site) if anybody thought Snake was likely they were basically told they were delusional because "Konami sux lmao".

In regards to no cuts, I can confirm that the group of people thinking we'd get no cuts was definitely below 25%. For some time, I felt like I was pretty vocally in support of no cuts, and I was then told by multiple people (on this website) that, "There's no way! Cuts are inevitable!" or "You're looking through rose-tinted glasses, there's always cuts!". Yet here we are.

I'm not entirely sure why people are also just saying nasty things or assuming things about Vergeben when they don't even know the guy. Yeah, he's leaking information that he receives. Yeah, he's been wrong before. But the information with this game so far has been correct. It's like there are strangers on the internet who hate him because he's the one getting the information and they aren't.

It's just bizarre to me that people are legitimately saying that Vergeben is "slimy", an "attention seeker", a "liar"...like, if you were given information of this sort, you'd probably be doing the same thing. You'd also, considering you've had bad sources before, want to verify the information before you tell other people. Instead, people are literally just talking **** to/about a person they've never met, all because of information about a ****ing video game. It's nuts.
---
Anyway, I think if this information is correct it'll be refreshing. Not only has this board limited discussion to 3 characters mainly, but we really haven't seen a good discussion of other options. Personally, I think Incineroar, Kommo-O, or an Ultra Beast would be really cool in Smash. There's still plenty to talk about.
Yeah, people are going overboard attacking him as a person. I hope I don't get lumped too much in with that. I just think he hasn't proven himself is all. Whether or not I think he's slimy or a liar depends how things pan out. For now, he's an unproven leaker. Could be real, could be fake.
also unless I missed something skimming, no one is saying Snake was obvious. I myself said it was the most impressive thing he's predicted. Someone else simply said he wasn't the first to predict it, not that it was obvious.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I plan on making an analysis on what went wrong with my prediction with Lycanroc and possible PKMN choices sometime next week. I have to admit, I am sad that Ultimate might not get a fighter that would be a spiritual successor to Zoroark in terms of moveset potential and characterization, but this current moment of speculation is motivating me to write in-depth again. :p

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Did Banjo-Kazooie have any success over there in Japan in its Nintendo days? What about characters like Rayman, Shantae, etc.?
Banjo-Kazooie ("BanKaz" as they call them) were pretty popular in the N64 days, and they're still a pretty common prediction/request for Smash as well.

Shantae is somewhat known, I'd say more well known with the Steam crowd and indie-aware crowd. Certainly one of the better known indies overall. Sometimes known as being popular in other countries.

Rayman... mainly known as a series popular overseas. The more recent titles are better known than the originals but it's hard to find anyone talk about Rayman.
edit: I don't mean to imply it's unknown or unpopular or anything, just not really talked about.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
For some time, I felt like I was pretty vocally in support of no cuts, and I was then told by multiple people (on this website) that, "There's no way! Cuts are inevitable!"
I can confirm that one of those people was me as I was often vocal in respond to people thinking there is a chance for a no-cut scenario.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I plan on making an analysis on what went wrong with my prediction with Lycanroc and possible PKMN choices sometime next week. I have to admit, I am sad that Ultimate might not get a fighter that would be a spiritual successor to Zoroark in terms of moveset potential and characterization, but this current moment of speculation is motivating me to write in-depth again. :p
Zoroark was more a bandwagon character if anything. Like people that predicted that it would replace Lucario didn't do their research regarding Zoroark in the first place.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What the **** do you mean spiritual successor in terms of moveset potential, one's a tricky ****** who uses illusions and the other one uses rocks. I know that sounds like I'm downplaying Lycanroc especially as I hate the stupid trashwolf but they aren't remotely similar

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
What the **** do you mean spiritual successor in terms of moveset potential, one's a tricky ****** who uses illusions and the other one uses rocks. I know that sounds like I'm downplaying Lycanroc especially as I hate the stupid trashwolf but they aren't remotely similar
I just love the designs of dark wolves in Pokemon ok. :p

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Has anyone tryed messaging Vergeben?

I’m just a little curious is all about this whole thing, not really looking to start anything but I’m curious nonetheless.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
“Analysis on what went wrong with [your] prediction with Lycanroc”

But you don’t even even know if Vergeben is right about no Lycanroc.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
To be fair the Rockruff line was popular in the pre-release days, but people more saw it as an early game mon, instead of a mascot (unlike Zoroark that was forced and fell flat on its face when BW1 released). It atleast had natural popularity I guess, still not smash material in my eyes though

DarkSt0rm009

Smash Cadet
NNID
ExtremeDeath
3DS FC
0946-2239-4297
Switch FC
SW-6724-2496-0212
probably not...must be the fear
I mean... I've replied to one comment he made on reddit but in terms of trying to PM him... I can't say that I have, though once I think of what to ask him, I think I'll give PM-ing him a shot on Reddit

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Of course people have tried messaging him. Don't be so naive as to believe he isn't aware that everytime he posts, his inbox fills with hundreds of thirsty fans demanding info.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Verg is an "attention seeker", that much is very much true, regardless of if his information is true, false, made up by him or made up by his source.
Saying anyone in his position would do the same thing he is doing is just flat out wrong.

Ninka regretted being a part of that leak. I don't regret standing up for him but I hated being pulled into the limelight because of it. The actual ESRB leaker hasn't publicly revealed himself and likely never will. And during that big ESRB leak, there was a network of a dozen different people who all had these videos for weeks before they finally leaked, because most people don't just run to the internet the first chance they get to win popularity points. Even now we've got more people claiming they've heard many of the things Verg has, but none of them are sharing, because none of them want the attention.

And honestly, this isn't a case where we have a nice guy walking up, sharing info and then being insulted. Sal Ramano was a decent guy who didn't deserve the hate he got. Verg is the kind of guy who openly insults the Smash community behind their backs, just look at his most recent MvC leak to see that in full action. That's "slimy."

And I keep repeating myself on this point, but in the past he has actively altered his leak posts to include information that was leaked by other sources, to make it seem like he was the original source and give his leak more validity. He is factually a liar, even if literally everything he's said about Smash is the truth.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Apparently there’s a 4Chan rumor going around that may actually be true...

I wonder what it could actually be?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
What does it say?
To give context, this was posted in the Ashley thread:

For Background info, lupensko typically backs up vergeben's info on GFAQs. He's not direct about it, but his posts definitely give off the air that he knows what he's talking about.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To give context, this was posted in the Ashley thread:

For Background info, lupensko typically backs up vergeben's info on GFAQs. He's not direct about it, but his posts definitely give off the air that he knows what he's talking about.
Too blurry to read the text in the pic on mobile, can anyone transcribe what it says for me?

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Guys, it all makes sense! Of course the G7 rep wasn't going to be Decidueye, Lycanroc, or Mimikyu!

It was right under our noses the entire time!

Steenee!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom