• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Please as a reminder for any event that isn't a direct, smash presentation or mentioned by Sakurai:

Don't give your hopes up!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
K Rool, Dixie, Simon, Shadow, and Ashley all have people who have really wanted them and expected them in previous speculation periods.

Isabelle I don't remember people talking about before, but there are definitely a lot who really are rooting for her.

Heihachi is the only of those that I haven't seen excitement for.
Lots of people have talked about her many times (only AC character a majority even bother to talk about as a playable character, mixed bag)

Heihachi doesn’t excite me as much as Scorpion would, but I suppose Smash has to do Street Fighter X Tekken better than Capcom/Bandai Namco did...still want Scorpion to see him demolish Waluigi

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wario is Nintendo though, so he purposely kicked Ashley out of Smash due to fearing her
Nah, he just doesn't want to afford paying for the devtime needed to have her playable (or anyone else from WW, for that matter). I mean, Wario has no problem fighting witches, he's in the same place as :ultbayonetta:, after all.

Besides, it's already been pretty costly to bring everyone back from the previous Smashes.

Lots of people have talked about her many times (only AC character a majority even bother to talk about as a playable character, mixed bag)

Heihachi doesn’t excite me as much as Scorpion would, but I suppose Smash has to do Street Fighter X Tekken better than Capcom/Bandai Namco did...still want Scorpion to see him demolish Waluigi
That reminds me, Tekken X Street Fighter never got off the ground. I don't blame Bamco, really...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Please as a reminder for any event that isn't a direct, smash presentation or mentioned by Sakurai:

Don't give your hopes up!
It is good to be hopeful though.
I think it is very likely we will get a newcomer during Evo 2018.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I kinda imagine we may in fact get a second Bandai Namco rep, but it won’t be Heihachi, or any Tekken character for that matter.

I’d totally be down with Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia, as his game originated on the GameCube and he’s had a really dedicated Smash fanbase. If not him, then maybe Yuri Lowell, since Vesperia Definitive Edition is coming to Switch.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Mhm. Yoshimitsu was always my preferred character. King, Eddy Gordo, pretty much the entire Tekken 3 cast, all classics. I never really found Heihachi to be that cool though as a kid. He was always just that annoying CPU fighter who tended to beat me as a kid.
That's literally my experience playing that as a kid. Are you my alt account?!!

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Heihachi doesn't really seem likely to me. He was already considered and turned down and unlike Ridley there was no outcry to reconsider.

On a side note, anyone else like me grow up playing Tekken in arcades and always associate Yoshimitsu and King with Tekken and have no idea who Heihachi was until recently?
Yoshimitsu as a joint Tekken/Soul Caliber character would be so cool, although extremely unlikely.

I’ve always associated Tekken with King, but I’ve never been that much of a Tekken fan and its probably because he’s the one that always stood out to me rather than generic martial artists.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I kinda imagine we may in fact get a second Bandai Namco rep, but it won’t be Heihachi, or any Tekken character for that matter.

I’d totally be down with Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia, as his game originated on the GameCube and he’s had a really dedicated Smash fanbase. If not him, then maybe Yuri Lowell, since Vesperia Definitive Edition is coming to Switch.
Can you imagine if they went with none of those and dropped Klonoa on everyone? It's damn-near impossible, but it could happen.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I’d be excited for Heihachi. I bought his mii costume for Smash 4. I think he’d be a fun addition, especially if his final smash is throwing people off cliffs.

D

Deleted member

Can I have a link to EVO 2018?
I want to see what is happening.

Also if we get at least one newcomer during EVO 2018, I will do something amazing.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Nah, he just doesn't want to afford paying for the devtime needed to have her playable (or anyone else from WW, for that matter). I mean, Wario has no problem fighting witches, he's in the same place as :ultbayonetta:, after all.

Besides, it's already been pretty costly to bring everyone back from the previous Smashes.
"Devtime?"

Nonono, you mean "Appearance Fees".

I wonder how much it cost Wario to have Mario show up to his gig.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
K Rool, Dixie, Simon, Shadow, and Ashley all have people who have really wanted them and expected them in previous speculation periods.

Isabelle I don't remember people talking about before, but there are definitely a lot who really are rooting for her.

Heihachi is the only of those that I haven't seen excitement for.
I wouldn't consider Isabelle a bandwagon character at all, she only debuted in 2012 and her fanbase has become insane, not because she's deemed a likely character for smash, they want her in smash because they love the character and genuinely wanna play as her.

Is Simon even all that popular though? It seems like he was very rarely brought up before the leaks and now suddenly tons of people want him.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
40 minutes till the exhibition. Just for fun last minute predictions with no basis to them whatsoever :)

If the build is updated, we’ll probably see some new stages including Delfino Plaza. Other likely candidates are Fountain of Dreams, Smashville and the new Final Destination perhaps? I’m thinking of elements that correspond with the EVO bass specifically.

Perhaps we’ll get our first taste of the echo fighters with Impa (Sheik) and Ken (Ryu). Ken in particular is our shoutout to the fgc this time. Wasn’t Ryu revealed for Smash 4 DLC close to Evo also, along with Lucas and Roy?

New fighter - King K Rool or Geno. I would have said Simon Belmont but Castlevania Judgment was never one of the EVO highlights, so let’s stick with a Nintendo rep.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'd be pretty disappointed if we got Heihachi. If Namco Bandai absolutely had to get a new character, I'd prefer Lloyd Irving or a Soul Calibur character like Siegfried or Nightmare. And I don't even want any of them in general.

Still no guarantee if we'll get a reveal this EVO, either.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
K. Rool, Dixie, Ashley and Shadow (also Isaac) aren't really bandwagon characters because they've had large, dedicated fanbases for a very long time (at least since Brawl).

"Bandwagon" implies that the fans of those characters are of the fairweather variety, when after like, 10+ years of Support, they probably aren't.
I put them as bandwagon character due to me noticing more people outside the supporters deciding to want them in Smash (not everyone is like this, but it’s somewhat more noticeable with Shadow due to the echo stuff)
Um, okay...
Don’t be sad that Ridley is better than Yoshi and Birdo...and Boshi

That reminds me, Tekken X Street Fighter never got off the ground. I don't blame Bamco, really...
Wario does hate spending money oppose, as he tried to keep it all to himself, and Bamco definitely can’t be blamed for Tekken X Street Fighter never happening (not sure if SF X T even did well)
"Devtime?"

Nonono, you mean "Appearance Fees".

I wonder how much it cost Wario to have Mario show up to his gig.
All of Wario’s money, his soul, and he’d have to give up his placement in Smash (giving it to Birdo and not Waluigi)...all for Mario to even look at his gig for a whole second

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
*quietly sits in corner and fruitlessly hopes for Gardevoir*
Replace Gardevoir with my Hydreigon and that sentence applies to me.
But that's never gonna happen in a trillion years and that's unfortunate because it's my favorite mon.
I'd be more than satisfied with Lycanroc though!

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm not really interested in Heihachi. I just don't want too many traditional fighting game characters and there are other choices for a Namco Bandai second rep (if there is one).

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I wouldn't consider Isabelle a bandwagon character at all, she only debuted in 2012 and her fanbase has become insane, not because she's deemed a likely character for smash, they want her in smash because they love the character and genuinely wanna play as her.

Is Simon even all that popular though? It seems like he was very rarely brought up before the leaks and now suddenly tons of people want him.
Simon didn’t have support during Smash 4 or its DLC period because we couldn’t even get Snake back from Konami, it seemed like a lost cause to support.

But now Snake is back, 3rd party companies can have multiple series as guests, and Simon’s greatest competitor has been shown as an assist trophy. People come out of the woodwork, because their previously unrealistic character is now realistic.

Supporting a character can be an emotional drain, so people only really do it when they perceive that their character might have a chance.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Ah, where was that tweet from (someone who i can't remember) about expecting some interesting action at EVO?
In reference to reveals, but also not implying anything about what will be revealed (including what games) other than it bringing the hype

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Can't speak for everyone, but I think plenty of people wanted Simon before the rumors. I remember people bringing him up a couple of times during Smash 4 too. But most people(myself included)were more focused on Mega Man and Pac-Man. Before Ryu joined in, I would have guessed Simon as the next guest character.

Funny thing, as someone who wanted to see Mega Man added in SSB4 the most, I was expecting Pac-Man to be the first guy shown off. I thought it was weird how some people didn't think he was likely(by third party standards), given how important he is.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Love Heihachi, one great piece of human garbage and one of my fav. Tekken Characters, but I hope he doesn't get in.
He is not the kind of third party characters that I want in Smash, I rather have Simon Belmont, Rayman or Crash... and I don't want 3-4 third party characters, because I rather have Nintendo Characters.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Theory:

If anything will be revealed at EVO, it won't be until Sunday evening. That would match up with blog update timing, also.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Can I have a link to EVO 2018?
I want to see what is happening.

Also if we get at least one newcomer during EVO 2018, I will do something amazing.
www.twitch.tv/evo

If you want to see other fighting games, you can check any of the following streams:
www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters - currently Street Fighter V
www.twitch.tv/evo1 - currently Dragon Ball FighterZ
www.twitch.tv/evo2 - currently Melee
www.twitch,tv/evo3 - currently Smash for Wii U
www.twitch.tv/evo4 - currently BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle
www.twitch.tv/evo5 - currently Tekken 7

You could likely keep going beyond that, but those streams seem to be for the main games.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Heck, even if you completely ignore the Dillon's unique moveset potential, making Dillon a sonic echo is outlandish simply due to body proportions. We're not talking a minor "few inches shorter than the base character" like Daisy or Lucina. Dillon would have to have freaky long legs, a much smaller and skinnier torso, and a completely different head shape to work as a sonic echo.
Yeah when people suggest Echoes, they have to ask if it can mechanically work, putting Dillion's model over Sonic's skeleton and having him do his moves is going to be a visual mess and glitchy. Echoes and cloning in general does not work by superficial similarities like being able to turn into a ball. Dillion off of Sonic is one of the worst Echo suggestions I've heard, right up there with Mimikyu off of Pikachu and Banjo Kazooie off of Duck Hunt.

*quietly sits in corner and fruitlessly hopes for Gardevoir*
She's MIA as a pokeball pokemon, so there is the faint chance..

Simon is one of those characters whose demand was severely hampered by a belief of improbability (due to people thinking anything from Konami was impossible, as well as most people knowing Snake would always be prioritized over him), people tend to not throw their support behind characters they don't think have a realistic chance (for example, demand for Robin being very low due to people thinking Chrom was the foregone conclusion and Cloud having little if any support because people assumed he was impossible). As such, with a credible-sounding leak coming around claiming he's in, as well as Snake getting back, his probability is seen a lot more realistic and thus people are more open about supporting him.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If Heihachi had a Final Smash, it's either the Tekken 5 rocket or he throws his opponent off a cliff/into a volcano.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Heihachi wouldn’t upset me. I’m not a Tekken fan, but if he had a cool moveset I would be down for his inclusion, just because I love silly, “out of place” characters joining the roster. The sillier he looks fighting the likes of King Dedede or Wario, the better.

Honestly, at this point I would get excited over pretty much any new character reveal. I’m just so hungry for new info I would take whatever they gave us happily. except for Rex and Pyra

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's a Halloween costume. I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't seen any of the silly-looking Capcom crossover costumes yet, like Rashid dressed as Viewtiful Joe.
Ah, figured it could be a costume.

Simon is one of those characters whose demand was severely hampered by a belief of improbability (due to people thinking anything from Konami was impossible, as well as most people knowing Snake would always be prioritized over him), people tend to not throw their support behind characters they don't think have a realistic chance (for example demand for Robin being very low due to people thinking Chrom was the foregone conclusion and Cloud having little if any support because people assumed he was impossible). As such, with a credible-sounding leak coming around claiming he's in, as well as Snake getting back, his probability is seen a lot more realistic and thus people are more open about supporting him.
Given that, it makes me worried that other Konami-owned characters may not make it just because they lacked support during the ballot. Hell, if Bomberman can only make it as an AT this go-round, what chance do the others even have?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Completely indifferent about Heihachi. Never played Tekken (aside from Pokken).

Also not expecting an EVO reveal (Though the prospect of a reveal on my birthday is tempting)

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Ah, where was that tweet from (someone who i can't remember) about expecting some interesting action at EVO?
In reference to reveals, but also not implying anything about what will be revealed (including what games) other than it bringing the hype

Pretty clearly suggesting Sunday will be packed with announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom