• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Mei, except she's from the Christmas gamemode where her snowballs insta-kill, so all of her attacks instantly kill you regardless of percentage.

Think Ice Climbers, but all of their attacks are just their wobble, and then make that even worse.

Also, I found another detail about the EVO Spring Man leak on GameFAQs. Apparently the creator of the leak asked someone to make renders for him.
Thread Source
Just some quick thinks on the ARMS "leak":
  • As someone pointed out in the GameFAQ thread, could be someone trying to discredit it. The person making the claim is VERY small so 1)Less likely he'd go to them for renders as they wouldn't know of this person and 2)they don't show proof of it
  • Usually these leaks that come from people working at the event usually happen the day of. The Switch leak was the day of as was the E3 leak for Smash Ultimate. It recent but would be 2 weeks early
  • Nintendo has never announced anything at EVO. Also, there were other Smash demos with no announcement. Regardless of who it is, its highly unlikely on that alone
  • Its a RUMOR not a LEAK
I want it to be true so I am probably giving it more attention than it deserves. 9 times out of 10, these are bogus.

Also, I wouldn't expect anyone from Overwatch. You can chop up any character not from the companies already licensed in this game to be near 0. Remember the point is "Hey all the characters are back," so they wouldn't contract with another company who doesn't hold the license to one of the 7 guest characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ooh.
Can I predict next week's character?

I doth decree that the next "Flavor of the Week" after Reimu and Tracer is Saber.
Saber would honestly be pretty hype.

I know people are getting tired of Fire Emblem characters, but he'd be neat. Dread Fighters are really unique among the sword using classes. Plus, Keith Silverstein in Smash is a plus. Only issue is that he's far from being the main character, but...

Ohhhhhhh, FATE Saber...

D

Deleted member

Saber would honestly be pretty hype.

I know people are getting tired of Fire Emblem characters, but he'd be neat. Dread Fighters are really unique among the sword using classes. Plus, Keith Silverstein in Smash is a plus. Only issue is that he's far from being the main character, but...

Ohhhhhhh, FATE Saber...
Even with the images being borked up now, I knew you were going to make that joke. :p

Roberk

Smash Champion
Ok, so apparently Elma (with two original characters) was found as a blade for XC2 in the 1.5 update about a month ago by datamining. One of the two original blades that are being added alongside Elma, Hibana, was officially revealed last night so we know this datamine is true.

It appears that Elma will be the final DLC Blade for XC2. If Torna the Golden Country is releasing in September effectively ending DLC for the main XC2 game, then we will be getting Elma revealed for XC2 relatively soon. Plus, with Hibana coming out tomorrow, we are a third of the way through the last 3 DLC Blades. This will be a big reveal, but here's the point.

Elma is by far the most likely XC rep. Her game released in April 2015 for Japan and December 2015 for the West, making her a prime target for the Ultimate roster being finalized in December 2015. I believe if she is in Ultimate, her eventual reveal for XC2 will tie into a Smash Ultimate reveal. This lines up with when we are expecting news: August and September (highly likely before Torna on September 21).

When the Fall Direct in late August/September is in a XC2 DLC portion about Elma and segways into a Smash reveal, you heard it here first.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Funnily, I feel the same about Elma. Not because she looks stupid like Rex & Pyra do but because thanks to Monolith Soft cruddy modeling she looks devoid of personality and outside of her skin color comes off as generally uninspired which in my view is just as bad as a stupid design. The modeling in Xenoblade X in general is bad enough that I'd go so far as to say it single-handedly makes Elma and the rest of the X cast far less popular in general than they could potentially have been.
I hope that if Elma were to get in (PLEASE) that they can make her more vibrant and look much better than her X model.

D

Deleted member

A character has never been revealed to celebrate a franchise's anniversary.
What about Little Mac being revealed for Smash 4 the same month the original Punch-Out was released in North America 30 years from then?

Coincidental, maybe. But I feel they deliberately revealed Mac in February for that reason.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'm not the biggest Minecraft fan, but the "it won't fit in Smash" argument has always irked me. Especially as a Snake fan, and there were always detractors who would accuse him of the same thing due to him being from a war game. Well for a crossover game like smash, I'd say saying something is "out of place" is stupid. I think the beauty of the game is having all these characters from different backgrounds in one place. Yeah, Steve's blocky design would look weird, but that is his character, and it sets him apart from the others in the roster. Come on, a completely homogeneous roster would be boring. Besides, Sakurai will manage to make him look cool.

Only issue with Minecraft for me is music. I mean, I can't recall any specific track I would enjoy playing smash to. But a good remix can fix that.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ok, so apparently Elma (with two original characters) was found as a blade for XC2 in the 1.5 update about a month ago by datamining. One of the two original blades that are being added alongside Elma, Hibana, was officially revealed last night so we know this datamine is true.

It appears that Elma will be the final DLC Blade for XC2. If Torna the Golden Country is releasing in September effectively ending DLC for the main XC2 game, then we will be getting Elma revealed for XC2 relatively soon. Plus, with Hibana coming out tomorrow, we are a third of the way through the last 3 DLC Blades. This will be a big reveal, but here's the point.

Elma is by far the most likely XC rep. Her game released in April 2015 for Japan and December 2015 for the West, making her a prime target for the Ultimate roster being finalized in December 2015. I believe if she is in Ultimate, her eventual reveal for XC2 will tie into a Smash Ultimate reveal. This lines up with when we are expecting news: August and September (highly likely before Torna on September 21).

When the Fall Direct in late August/September is in a XC2 DLC portion about Elma and segways into a Smash reveal, you heard it here first.
Wait a minute...

So you're saying... we could get a cross promotion?

It does feel odd if she's the last one. One would think Shulk and Fiora would make a better finale.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Which female character do you think has the best chance of being included as a fighter?
Let me cover just about every answer.

Celica
Fire Emblem: Echoes was coming out when Sakurai was making the project plan.​
Elma
Same as Celica, Xenoblade Chronicles X was the most recent XB game.​
Isabelle
Most pupular Animal Crossing character.​
Ashley
Very popular Wario Ware character.​
Tifa Lockhart
Along with Sephiroth, she almost always follows Cloud in spinoffs (especially sequels); see: Ergheiz, Kingdom Hearts 2, Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy.​
EDIT: forgot someone
Dixie Kong
Very popular DKC character, recently reappeared in Tropical Freeze, so is in the same boat as Celica and Elma.​

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Okay but seriously how popular is Mortal Kombat in Japan? Can I get an answer on that? I think America's "roster pick points" have been all but drained up with Ridley.
Very unpopular/possibly unknown, the violence that's an important part of the games isn't popular in the region and the games aren't even released there.

Thinking about it, didn't Shulk's and Fiora's XC2 announcement come along with the proper reveal of Smash Ultimate and thus their inclusion in the game? I remember it was being talked about around the same time, but it got drowned out due to all of the hype around E3.

If that's the case, I could see a similar thing happening for Elma, particularly since it seems like she will be the last blade to wrap things up for the DLC and the announcement in Smash could work to getting more people curious about the character.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Japan doesn't like overly violent media.

Just like the west doesn't usually like overly sexual media.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Minecraft deserves something. The attitude towards Steve here understates Minecraft's success, popularity, and impact. It helped define a new era of gaming culture with content creators on sites like Youtube, it's critically/commercially successful (especially in Japan), and it's extremely influential in the sense of sandbox/procedural games. It's one of the best examples showing how far an indie title can go. I'm not saying it has to get something in Smash (IMO Steve as a character is a terrible idea, a stage or a trophy would be much better.) but when it comes to successful and impactful games, Minecraft should be considered.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
  • As someone pointed out in the GameFAQ thread, could be someone trying to discredit it. The person making the claim is VERY small so 1)Less likely he'd go to them for renders as they wouldn't know of this person and 2)they don't show proof of it
  • Usually these leaks that come from people working at the event usually happen the day of. The Switch leak was the day of as was the E3 leak for Smash Ultimate. It recent but would be 2 weeks early
  • Nintendo has never announced anything at EVO. Also, there were other Smash demos with no announcement. Regardless of who it is, its highly unlikely on that alone
  • Its a RUMOR not a LEAK
I want it to be true so I am probably giving it more attention than it deserves. 9 times out of 10, these are bogus.

Also, I wouldn't expect anyone from Overwatch. You can chop up any character not from the companies already licensed in this game to be near 0. Remember the point is "Hey all the characters are back," so they wouldn't contract with another company who doesn't hold the license to one of the 7 guest characters.
Can anyone show me the Spring Man render that is being talked about.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Let me cover just about every answer.

Celica
Fire Emblem: Echoes was coming out when Sakurai was making the project plan.​
Elma
Same as Celica, Xenoblade Chronicles X was the most recent XB game.​
Isabelle
Most pupular Animal Crossing character.​
Ashley
Very popular Wario Ware character.​
Tifa Lockhart
Along with Sephiroth, she almost always follows Cloud in spinoffs (especially sequels); see: Ergheiz, Kingdom Hearts 2, Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy.​
EDIT: forgot someone
Dixie Kong
Very popular DKC character, recently reappeared in Tropical Freeze, so is in the same boat as Celica and Elma.​
What about Impa and Dark Samus? I think they have a pretty decent chance of getting in as echo fighters.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Only issue with Minecraft for me is music. I mean, I can't recall any specific track I would enjoy playing smash to. But a good remix can fix that.
Well, there's always the music that plays from the music disks, like "Cat" or "Blocks." Minecraft music may be atmospheric, but Smash's composers have turned many atmospheric tunes into high-octane beats.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Wait a minute...

So you're saying... we could get a cross promotion?

It does feel odd if she's the last one. One would think Shulk and Fiora would make a better finale.
Well Shulk and Fiora were used as E3 reveals to introduce the new Challenge Mode, so two major characters being used to showcase the (somewhat) major DLC at a major event like E3 makes sense. Also, XC2 is much more connected to XC1 than it is to XCX, so it made sense to have mainline XC characters added into XC2 but people were unsure if a spinoff character like Elma would make it in, making her great as a finale.

Very unpopular/possibly unknown, the violence that's an important part of the games isn't popular in the region and the games aren't even released there.

Thinking about it, didn't Shulk's and Fiora's XC2 announcement come along with the proper reveal of Smash Ultimate and thus their inclusion in the game? I remember it was being talked about around the same time, but it got drowned out due to all of the hype around E3.

If that's the case, I could see a similar thing happening for Elma, particularly since it seems like she will be the last blade to wrap things up for the DLC and the announcement in Smash could work to getting more people curious about the character.
Exactly, by tieing the Smash reveal into an already big reveal this would be the best opportunity in the foreseeable future to reveal Elma with hype.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Minecraft deserves something. The attitude towards Steve here understates Minecraft's success, popularity, and impact. It helped define a new era of gaming culture with content creators on sites like Youtube, it's critically/commercially successful (especially in Japan), and it's extremely influential in the sense of sandbox/procedural games. It's one of the best examples showing how far an indie title can go. I'm not saying it has to get something in Smash (IMO Steve as a character is a terrible idea, a stage or a trophy would be much better.) but when it comes to successful and impactful games, Minecraft should be considered.
I think a lot of people here would be more than fine with seeing Minecraft in some form, whether it be a stage, a trophy, or an assist. I just don't think people want a playable character.

KMDP

Smash Legend
What about Impa and Dark Samus? I think they have a pretty decent chance of getting in as echo fighters.
I said "just about every answer" (XD), though to be honest I kind of ignored the Echo choices.

Impa
A long-running Legend of Zelda character who could use Sheik's moveset, having been the one who taught Sheik.​
Dark Samus
Uses the exact same model as regular Samus, making her an easy clone.​

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
A little off-topic, but is anyone else having problems uploading images onto the site?

I just wanted to ask here because there are a lot of people here who may know what I'm talking about.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A little off-topic, but is anyone else having problems uploading images onto the site?

I just wanted to ask here because there are a lot of people here who may know what I'm talking about.
I’ve been having the same issue since yesterday...

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I swear to God, these "leaks" are out of control and we got too many people who have a bit too much free time. This just popped up from the YouTube app from my phone even going as far as saying Decidueye is an AT LMAO

You aren't the only one. I'm having it since yesterday

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I do agree that Minecraft's entrance should be as a stage and not through a playable Steve, that would be a terrible idea.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Steve is owned by Microsoft first and foremost. Minecraft was also originally an indie game and we don't even know if Sakurai even entertains games that originated from Indie. Thirdly; Steve could have worked if this was Nintendo 64 possibly but it's not. Fourthly; I do not want Steve in Smash. He would look more out of place than Game & Watch (at least he 2D) in a platformer fighter. Steve will never be in Smash unless something miraculous happens.
Nintendo and Microsoft have been very close to one another in recent years, especially on Twitter. In fact recently they have now been supporting cross-play with each other...and guess which game was used to showcase that
And they have worked on smaller projects before in the past, as stated by Phil Spencer- to be specific the small things being a Banjo-Kazooie game on the GBA, MechAssault on the DS and getting the DKC games on the eShop. There is even rumors that a Rare collection port almost was finalized for the Wii-U.

And as for Indies...lest we forget Commander Video did get a trophy in Smash 4. I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but it's far above never happen tier.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Likely not. 4chan "leaks" piggyback on each other, claiming similar or the same information to make their "leaks" seem more credible overall. We're only talking about it because they brought it up.

I'm just gonna paste this since it's hidden in the most recent session.

Okay but seriously how popular is Mortal Kombat in Japan? Can I get an answer on that? I think America's "roster pick points" have been all but drained up with Ridley.
I tried to find the sales data on Mortal Kombat titles in Japan, but that proved difficult as the series is scarcely localized there.

That said, I think you're spot-on about the roster choices and region preferences. If we're getting a smaller set of newcomers, then I wouldn't expect too many more that are targeted towards western audiences. Mortal Kombat would be an especially odd choice in that light, given how the game's primary relationship with Nintendo is an infamously censored release.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh yeah, remember the guy sho tried to claim he faked the gen 7 starter evolution?

Don't know what he hoped to accomplish.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If Blizzard gets a character, I think Sarah Kerrigan is a much better choice than Tracer. Starcraft has a much longer legacy and is actually eligible thanks to Starcraft 64.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Pointing out what I said earlier, Tetris deserved something. And it got 2 songs. That works for Tetris (should get a stage too but I digress). I don't think Minecraft doesn't "deserve to be considered" but rather that a character shouldn't be the answer. A stage would be neat with destructible terrain that brings you deeper into the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom