• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
But I fear that Ness and Captain Falcon may be cut in favor of more recent and relevant characters. Their series will never again get a new installment, making them low priority.
Ness? Understandable, as Itoi himself said Mother as a franchise was complete.

Falcon? I wouldn’t say he will never again get another game objectively. I still like to think Nintendo is trying to deliver on the fans’ demand for a new F-Zero, but they get so focused on trying to innovate that their attempts end up getting cancelled.

Honestly? Just make an F-Zero GX HD and call it a day. It’d satisfy 98% of the fans including me, plus GX was basically the height of innovation for the series

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Yeah saying F-Zero is never getting another game isn't exactly true. If they are trying to make Mario Kart 200cc its "replacement" then they completely misunderstood the appeal of F-Zero to begin with.

They just need a developer to want the work on the IP again. SEGA's work on GX was incredible and they deserve another crack at the whip at it. Falcon's easy to market due to his Smash appearance too.

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I feel like Ike's design and speed change was so they could make chrom into a fighter easier.

Smash 4 Ike can't really be made into Chrom.

As a side note anyone else want Luigi's brawl final smash back? It was just so much cooler and unique than sucking people up in a vacuum cleaner.

EDIT

I too want a new F Zero but Sega these days have shown themselves to be beyond incompetent and don't deserve any of Nintendo's franchises.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As a side note anyone else want Luigi's brawl final smash back? It was just so much cooler and unique than sucking people up in a vacuum cleaner.
I'm with you here. Sure the Poltergust is something Luigi actually does in the games, but his old one was extremely unique as far as Final Smashes go, and it was memorable due to how out there it was. And that music.

Sadly, Negative Zone doesn't exactly fit the direction they're taking Final Smashes for this game, and if they stick with that for the future, we're unlikely to see it again. At least Dedede's current Final Smash, even if I don't like it as much as the Brawl one, is a massive step up from the Smash 4 one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
So I don’t know if anyone has posted this here yet, but the character trailers are actually shot in a different build then the demo build. You can tell because the Inkling’s splattershot covers the ground in her trailer and the direct (16:20), while it did not in the demo. There are probably differences for other characters too if anyone wants to look for them.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I'm with you here. Sure the Poltergust is something Luigi actually does in the games, but his old one was extremely unique as far as Final Smashes go, and it was memorable due to how out there it was. And that music.

Sadly, Negative Zone doesn't exactly fit the direction they're taking Final Smashes for this game, and if they stick with that for the future, we're unlikely to see it again. At least Dedede's current Final Smash, even if I don't like it as much as the Brawl one, is a massive step up from the Smash 4 one.
The trophy for the final smash I believed explained the reference. I don't remember it off the top of my head but it was pretty cool something about it being a manifestation of Luigi's anger at being in Mario's shadow for so long.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
So I don’t know if anyone has posted this here yet, but the character trailers are actually shot in a different build then the demo build. You can tell because the Inkling’s splattershot covers the ground in her trailer and the direct (16:20), while it did not in the demo. There are probably differences for other characters too if anyone wants to look for them.
theres a few things that have been noticed, i think wolfs model changes a bit in different appearances (his boots make it obvious actually), so clearly they are pulling footage from different builds and the game isnt finalized yet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The trophy for the final smash I believed explained the referenced. I don't remember it off the top of my head but it was pretty cool something about it being a manifestation of Luigi's anger at being in Mario's shadow for so long.
Yup, that's exactly right.

"This technique is a reflection of the dark side he embraced in his brother's shadow."

In this case, it's just a way of adding an explanation to a completely made up move. Kind of like how Wolf never uses a Landmaster (I think) so the trophy description says "Wolf analyzed Fox's Landmaster and built his own improved version, which he now calls out and boards."

P.Kat

Smash Champion
The Galaxy 2 powerup, or Blond Mario with a Buster Sword?
Both is good :)
Super Mario Bros Fantasy
Yes to all the names but they'd most likely go for Super Mario Bros Fantasy. Mario finds a Buster Sword like Cloud's own, except the edge of the blade is lined with the edges of bumper from Smash, and it's called the Bumper Sword.
Just for fun, anyone wanna predict what day the next newcomer will be shown off?

I'm going to guess August 21st. Not based off of anything, just a hunch.
I'm guess August 9th, it's a plausible day for a Direct, and Okami HD is releasing on that date as well too, that could reveal Amaterasu for Smash. And if not, there's always DLC, and I still get Okami HD out of it, it's a win-win.
August 1st? ...Can't imagine why.

I've got your number, Billy-boy.

40 cakes!? Why, that's as many as four 10s! That's terrible!
*high five on catching the reference* Truly the most evil entity to enter Smash. I ordered one of those cakes too :(

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Hey guys I was wondering, I wanna make a thing where i rate the chances of a user voted character every day, should i make a thread for that or just do it somewhere else, if i should make a new thread where should it go?
We’ve got one. Come and join the fun.

—-

I am interested to see the Final Smashes we haven’t seen yet now that a lot are changing. I’d bet Young Link’s getting Triforce Slash, but please by all that is holy let him put on the FD mask first.

Peach and Daisy are most likely changing, but to what? Robin’s also looks like it could stay, but now with the new eyes overlay, it could interfere with Chrom’s overlay. I wonder if he’ll just be alone.

I can assume Luigi’s Poltergust is sticking around.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So yeah, this is gonna happen next week...
View attachment 154426

Ultimate will be on the Main EVO stage Day 1. Chances of reveals on the 3rd went from Fair to High.
Late response, but that Spring Man rumor also said we'd see a reveal on the 3rd, correct? I guess this might add a teeny weeny itty bitty piece to its legitimacy.

As much as I'd love to see Spring Man cause an upset in Smash speculation, I'm still not expecting anything at EVO. If Nintendo was going to reveal something, I feel like they would've specified that new content would be shown off and that we should tune in to see it.

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
We’ve got one. Come and join the fun.

—-

I am interested to see the Final Smashes we haven’t seen yet now that a lot are changing. I’d bet Young Link’s getting Triforce Slash, but please by all that is holy let him put on the FD mask first.

Peach and Daisy are most likely changing, but to what? Robin’s also looks like it could stay, but now with the new eyes overlay, it could interfere with Chrom’s overlay. I wonder if he’ll just be alone.

I can assume Luigi’s Poltergust is sticking around.
The problem is that's kind of a set character a week IIRC and i kinda wanna just be able to do any character the public wants, also all the big likely characters are already done and i kinda wanna do stuff like KKR, BanDee and Marx, but they've already been done a while ago.
Gonna quite the page "Please do not discuss a character after their day has ended. "
That kinda goes against what i want to do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Robin’s also looks like it could stay, but now with the new eyes overlay, it could interfere with Chrom’s overlay. I wonder if he’ll just be alone.
Chrom's portrait only shows when the move hits, so you'd have Robin's portrait showing, then Chrom's if it makes contact. Alternatively, you could move Chrom's portrait so it shows before the final hit. Robin should absolutely not be alone during his Final Smash though, as the move references the Pair Up mechanic from Awakening. If Chrom has to be removed for whatever reason, replace him with Morgan or someone else, but Robin should not be left alone unless the move is completely changed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I don't even remember how far back I am anymore. I wanna say 250ish pages behind, over 2 weeks. Got to the part where everyone was posting some template with the following categories: main, secondary, most wanted, least wanted/most unwanted/however it was worded. While I've seen this opinion brought up before, those pictures literally visualized something to me.

Why exactly do so many people not want Minecraft Steve in Smash? He's from a video game, Minecraft is huge, heck, people sometimes bring up Shovel Knight and Shantae as indies. Minecraft started as an indie, did it not? It just happened to do what I imagine most indies would like, became popular enough to become mainstream. Is it the appearance? I'll admit, I myself think Minecraft as a whole looks bleh but we have an all black, 2D man as a character and there's also the possibility of 'modernizing' him like Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt and to a lesser extent Classic Megaman. Is it moveset potential? My knowledge on Minecraft is limited but I know there's a sword, a pickax, dynamite/TNT and then there's all of the different block types to work with and simple stuff like punching. Seems to be enough to make some sort of moveset with. Is it the community surrounding Minecraft? I don't see that as an issue given that Sonic is in and plus the Smash community as a whole has its negatives. Is he not 'Nintendo enough'? That went out the window when we got the likes of Snake and Cloud.

I don't particularly care for Minecraft or whatever characters are in it. Don't even think Minecraft is known for having noteworthy music. Just curious since of all the characters put in the 'do not want' category, he was the most frequent. Rex & Pyra seemed to be the 2nd most but I think I can chalk that up mostly to their design.

Not gonna bother to dig up the template but for anyone who cares, here's mine in text format:
Main::ultwolf::ultfalco:
Secondary::ultganondorf::ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:
Most wanted: Been playing Dragon Age Inquisition again and actually making enough progress to see unique stuff from the Inquisitor so I'm gonna go ahead and say them. Other than that, just Galacta Knight.
Least wanted: Anything from Pokemon or Fire Emblem. Former just doesn't have frontrunners who interest me at all and the latter I honestly feel doesn't need anymore for a long while. Hoping for no Three Houses advertisement dlc.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I don't even remember how far back I am anymore. I wanna say 250ish pages behind, over 2 weeks. Got to the part where everyone was posting some template with the following categories: main, secondary, most wanted, least wanted/most unwanted/however it was worded. While I've seen this opinion brought up before, those pictures literally visualized something to me.

Why exactly do so many people not want Minecraft Steve in Smash? He's from a video game, Minecraft is huge, heck, people sometimes bring up Shovel Knight and Shantae as indies. Minecraft started as an indie, did it not? It just happened to do what I imagine most indies would like, became popular enough to become mainstream. Is it the appearance? I'll admit, I myself think Minecraft as a whole looks bleh but we have an all black, 2D man as a character and there's also the possibility of 'modernizing' him like Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt and to a lesser extent Classic Megaman. Is it moveset potential? My knowledge on Minecraft is limited but I know there's a sword, a pickax, dynamite/TNT and then there's all of the different block types to work with and simple stuff like punching. Seems to be enough to make some sort of moveset with. Is it the community surrounding Minecraft? I don't see that as an issue given that Sonic is in and plus the Smash community as a whole has its negatives. Is he not 'Nintendo enough'? That went out the window when we got the likes of Snake and Cloud.

I don't particularly care for Minecraft or whatever characters are in it. Don't even think Minecraft is known for having noteworthy music. Just curious since of all the characters put in the 'do not want' category, he was the most frequent. Rex & Pyra seemed to be the 2nd most but I think I can chalk that up mostly to their design.

Not gonna bother to dig up the template but for anyone who cares, here's mine in text format:
Most wanted: Been playing Dragon Age Inquisition again and actually making enough progress to see unique stuff from the Inquisitor so I'm gonna go ahead and say them. Other than that, just Galacta Knight.
Least wanted: Anything from Pokemon or Fire Emblem. Former just doesn't have frontrunners who interest me at all and the latter I honestly feel doesn't need anymore for a long while. Hoping for no Three Houses advertisement dlc.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the Steve hate. I'm pretty sure that people don't want him in mainly because of the Minecraft community like you mentioned but I also thing there's an element of him not being "Nintendo" enough like you also mentioned. Most of the Nintendo "purists" want their precious Shovel Knight and Shantae because they harken back to the golden days of platformers on Nintendo consoles.

I also think that Steve could be a hella lot more unique in Smash. Shovel Knight and Shantae can still definitely have fun and interesting movesets, but Steve brings a whole new genre to Smash and would most definitely stand out from other fighters.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Ness? Understandable, as Itoi himself said Mother as a franchise was complete.

Falcon? I wouldn’t say he will never again get another game objectively. I still like to think Nintendo is trying to deliver on the fans’ demand for a new F-Zero, but they get so focused on trying to innovate that their attempts end up getting cancelled.

Honestly? Just make an F-Zero GX HD and call it a day. It’d satisfy 98% of the fans including me, plus GX was basically the height of innovation for the series

All I need for a new F-Zero, is basically F-Zero GX (with AX content easier implemented) and Online mode. That's all.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Oh man I loved Inquisition. I played a Dwarven Bowman and it was all kinds of awesome. Great story too. He probably was one of my favorite avatar characters, honestly.

For me, I’m just not a fan of Steve’s artstyle. That's not to say I don’t want anything Minecraft in - a Minecraft stage would be great and Creepers would make excellent generic enemies - but having the blockhead playable seems meh to be honest. Minecraft itself is too open of a sandbox and focused on what can be built, so it makes sense that a stage would be a sensible idea, while too much would need to be pulled out of nowhere for playable. Not to mention that in order to keep the artstyle consistent, he’d have to look and move in a really out-of-place way when compared to the rest of the cast.

I’ve always been a big fan of non-playable representation for some series, especially those that aren’t character-focused.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Because I can't wait for SSBU to come out, let me think of interesting but near impossible/unlikely ideas. I am not saying I want this.

What if :ultkirby: copied all of a character's special moves instead of just neutral special? So, if he swallows :ultsheik:, Kirby can use Bouncing Fish, Burst Grenade, Vanish and Needles!

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think a lot of the Steve hate stems from his blocky design and the stereotype that Minecraft has become an overrated game for kids younger than 12.

I'm not adamantly against Steve being in Smash like many others are, because I definitely think his game is iconic enough to warrant getting representation in Smash. If handled properly, I have no doubt he could end up being a wacky character like Villager. That being said, Steve just feels like a bottom of the barrel character to me. There's little to no demand for him, and his inclusion would be due to his game's success rather than his own popularity.

I'm already iffy on the idea of more third-parties, so if we're gonna get more, I'd like to see someone who's both highly requested and better-suited for Smash get in before Steve.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Because I can't wait for SSBU to come out, let me think of interesting but near impossible/unlikely ideas. I am not saying I want this.

What if :ultkirby: copied all of a character's special moves instead of just neutral special? So, if he swallows :ultsheik:, Kirby can use Bouncing Fish, Burst Grenade, Vanish and Needles!
Considering Kirby doesn't use his special moves as much as other characters it would be a buff in most cases but a massive learning curve.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Considering Kirby doesn't use his special moves as much as other characters it would be a buff in most cases but a massive learning curve.
Eh, I was just looking for crazy ideas for Kirby here. Imagine him with Bayo's moveset for example (regular Bayo would probably still be better though).

osby

Smash Obsessed

There is no extra content. All resources are reserved to program Kirby.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I noticed this as well. It's also really weird how all footage of Great Bay doesn't show Tingle, even though we know he will be there. Probably a different build.

Last edited:

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
So thinking about it, which do you all think is more likely to be base roster, Rayman or Banjo Kazooie?

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Why exactly do so many people not want Minecraft Steve in Smash?
At least in my case, I don't like the idea because the Minecraft character doesn't really 'move'. It's all-around stiff movement when it attacks - it doesn't really work outside of it's native series.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yes to all the names but they'd most likely go for Super Mario Bros Fantasy. Mario finds a Buster Sword like Cloud's own, except the edge of the blade is lined with the edges of bumper from Smash, and it's called the Bumper Sword.
The Bumper is one of the most feared and annoyingly great items in Smash, so making that have a sword form...murderous

That would make him nearly op and/or a pain in the *** (:ultbayonetta: still on top)

osby

Smash Obsessed
At least in my case, I don't like the idea because the Minecraft character doesn't really 'move'. It's all-around stiff movement when it attacks - it doesn't really work outside of it's native series.
Mr. Game & Watch.

Iridium

Smash Hero
How much would you guys want this character back?

Gray Fox.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Late response, but that Spring Man rumor also said we'd see a reveal on the 3rd, correct? I guess this might add a teeny weeny itty bitty piece to its legitimacy.

As much as I'd love to see Spring Man cause an upset in Smash speculation, I'm still not expecting anything at EVO. If Nintendo was going to reveal something, I feel like they would've specified that new content would be shown off and that we should tune in to see it.
I think Spring Man should be the first character made and announced as a DLC fighter when DLC starts being developed.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think that's because Moray Towers might be the only stage to make use of the ink mechanics on the ground. Aside from the Splat Roller, none of the other weapons seem to spread ink on Battlefield, as seen in the Direct when Sakurai goes through Inkling's different Smash attacks.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Gray Fox.
images still broken? Dammit smashboards :c

Meh, I’d prefer Raiden from Metal Gear Rising takes his place as an AT. He’s more recent, and can do many of the same things Gray Fox does.

sombrero appearance or bust tho

D

Deleted member

Gray Fox.
I'd love a Metal Gear assist trophy, but I'd honestly prefer if they switched Gray Fox out for someone more unique like Psycho Mantis. I also really want some Rising music and getting Raiden as an assist could help with that.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So thinking about it, which do you all think is more likely to be base roster, Rayman or Banjo Kazooie?
Rayman. Both of them were two of the most requested third party characters in the days of the ballot, but the difference here is that I think Ubisoft would be more than happy to have Rayman in Smash while I think Banjo in Smash could be negotiable, but it would take a lot more effort on Sakurai's part.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Some combinations would be hilariously broken, especially because of his already decent recovery and kill options. Wii Fit, Pikachu, Villager, Bayonetta, Cloud, Ryu, Diddy Kong, Sonic, Duck Hunt, Shulk, etc.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

See that was the logic I used for these past skrimish livestreaming, that Nintendo hadn't been that involved since E3 and it could mean something, and it absolutely didn't lol. So I'm personally hesitant on an EVO annoucnement especially since it's unprecedented.

I'd lovvvvvveeeee a Spring Man announcement though. I'd ascend to have an ARMS character announcement with that beautiful "OhohOhOHHHHHH!" playing in the background.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Speaking hypothetically here:

What if we DO indeed get a character reveal during or after EVO, but it’s NOT K. Rool, Dixie, Spring-Man, or Heihachi?

Who do you expect? Who do you want?

Expect: Bandana Dee, Chrom (since Robin and Lucina were originally revealed after EVO 2014, serving as a “The day is finally here” follow up to that trailer) or Simon

Want: Simon, Elma, or Bandana Dee

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I think the major factor that takes Zeraora out of the running is the project plan. Let's be generous and say Ultra Sun/Moon began development right after Sun and Moon right were released (Late 2016) and Zeraora is conceived shortly after. This would still make him a year too late to join the roster, as the project plan was completed in December 2015.

The only thing that could save him is a Lycanroc Dusk Situation, where there is some proof in the coding that Zeraora was conceived early enough to make the ballot.
Honestly being an event mon is imo enough to deconfirm Zeraora, just look at the Deoxys, Darkrai and Genesect fiascos from previous Smash speculations.

I feel its either going to be Decidueye or Mimikyu for the pokemon rep, or we get a Gen 8 pokemon for DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom