• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Which of these pokemon would you want the most?
Castform
Poliwhirl
Dusknoir
Registeel
Vileplume
Kadabra
or Flygon
I'd have to say Flygon. At worst, Flygon could make for a great Charizard Echo so we can get Charizard's solo moveset (for people who really want Rock Smash I guess). At best, Flygon could have a unique moveset with it's cool movepool.

Of course, Kadabra would be the best, but only if one of it's taunts was dabbing.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The other day people were talking about Wolf and Young Link's less than perfect models in game. I read recently that characters have received updated artwork on the website (Palutena, Falco, and Shulk)

Could someone do a side by side comparison between the old artwork and the new artwork, demonstrating the changes. I know Palutena received her blue halo, but I don't notice any other changes.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I know we're going through a drought of information, but try to stay patient. Honestly, this is nothing compared to the six month drought between E3 2013 and Rosalina's reveal.

There's less than five months until Ultimate releases, so they have to give us more info sooner or later. Just hang in there for a little while longer.
I honestly wonder how you guys even survived that drought.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The other day people were talking about Wolf and Young Link's less than perfect models in game. I read recently that characters have received updated artwork on the website (Palutena, Falco, and Shulk)

Could someone do a side by side comparison between the old artwork and the new artwork, demonstrating the changes. I know Palutena received her blue halo, but I don't notice any other changes.
Big images inbound:
RenderChange_Paly.png

Changes: Added halo, moved skirt to cover more leg.
RenderChange_Falco.png

Changes: more feather details, more saturated color, reshaped forehead
RenderChange_Shulk.png

Changes: shading on face

EDIT: Made side-by-sides to see easier.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I'm of the opinion that we give every "leak" the benefit of the doubt and entertain the notion that it could be the one.
  • No one believed ChaosZero, and his posts on GameFAQs were taken down by moderators multiple times. In DMs they called him a troll.
  • The other true Brawl leaker was also treated as a troll, and had their post edited by the moderators of this site to make them look that way.
  • People scoffed at Gematsu before Wii Fit Trainer was revealed, and still didn't believe it after that.
  • Ninka/Vaanrose was widely doubted despite the evidence it gave.
  • The ESRB leak was infamously detested, with people doing mental gymnastics to disprove it, hence the "Shulk is a photoshopped Little Mac" meme.
  • A leak of Smash Bros. Ultimate that predicted all veterans, Ridley, and Daisy showed up a day or two before E3 and everyone laughed at it.
  • People are still (somewhat rightfully) skeptic of Vergeben despite his claims being correct so far.

Every real leak has been laughed at, so each leak that we laugh at could be the one.
I feel that this is more of a “not want to happen” type of situation.

The removal of IC’s, Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Snake, and Wolf did not sit well with people not to mention Dark Pit.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I know we're going through a drought of information, but try to stay patient. Honestly, this is nothing compared to the six month drought between E3 2013 and Rosalina's reveal.

There's less than five months until Ultimate releases, so they have to give us more info sooner or later. Just hang in there for a little while longer.
We still didn't have all veterans revealed. In between E3 and Rosalina's trailer, :4olimar::4luigi::4peach::4tlink::4sonic:and:4marth:were announced.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

The renders are all heavily photoshopped and not really indicative of the in-game models. That's why they all look a thousand times better than they do in game. At least half the cast have models that aren't as polished as they were last game, there's not a doubt in my mind the final release will be better, it's just a question of how much better, since, honestly, Smash has always struggled with good looking character models.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The renders are all heavily photoshopped and not really indicative of the in-game models. That's why they all look a thousand times better than they do in game. At least half the cast have models that aren't as polished as they were last game, there's not a doubt in my mind the final release will be better, it's just a question of how much better, since, honestly, Smash has always struggled with good looking character models.
Also a true statement. Easiest one to see there are the furry characters (notably DK) and anyone with small details (Zelda). DK in render looks like a fuzzball, but in game, he looks just brown. Zelda also has those gold bangles on her necklace and skirt that each move independently on her render, but in game act as one solid block.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
How does Bowser Jr. dance in his mech if he uses it for 99% of his movepool?
And what about R.O.B.? The guy can't even-

yeah ok nevermind
You know, I honestly thought ROB had wheels or something on the bottom of his body. It would’ve made it easier to have him move around.

Anyways, I’m happy ROB is still here.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
With a game as large as Super Smash Bros, limitations may have something to do with it.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
We have mods and hacks to entertain our smash content wanting selves, also.
Eww. I'm sorry, but amateur attempts at imitating Sakuria's standards doesn't do it for me. So glad we have every veteran this time so we don't have to rely on ugly mods to satisfy our imagination.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
With a game as large as Super Smash Bros, limitations may have something to do with it.
I still hope the characters look at least similarly good as the character potraits.

I just hope that there is some improvements going on during the last 5 months of dev time.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Pic of the Day.
Those gave us new information, unlike the Smash Blog.
The Smash blog has profiles for 68 characters from day 1 with special mini movies for each of them and a section for music as well as stages and items.

I'll take that over a pic a day.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Limitations affect polycount, skeleton count, texture resolution, material complexity, cloth and hair physics, but they don't really affect art direction. For some reason the Smash team struggles with faces, particularly the more anime ones.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I decided to do the alphabet of characters, and limit the characters to being at least partially owned by Nintendo, and be from franchises that do not have playable representation in Smash.

It was painful. But speculation is fun.

Most of the characters would be unique, but few to none of them will actually be playable (most likely).

Here's my list:
(Ashley) Alexandra Roivas (Eternal Darkness)
Barbara the Bat (Daigasso! Band Brothers)
Chibi-Robo
Dillon ('s Rolling Western)
Elena & Aeron (Pandora's Tower)
F-Type (Stunt Race FX)
Geolyte (Meteos)
Henry Fleming (Codename Steam)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Jill Dozer (Drill Dozer)
Kensuke Kimachi (1080 Degrees)
Lola Pop (ARMS)
Musashi (Sushi Striker)
Nester ('s Funky Bowling)
Offbeat Monkeys (Rhythm Heaven)
Prince Sable (For the Frog the Bell Tolls)
Qbby (Boxboy)
Ray MK III (Custom Robo)
Saki Amamiya (Sin and Punishment)
Tethu/Tethi (Ever Oasis)
Urban Champion
Vivosaur (T-Rex, Fossil Fighter)
Wonder Red (Wonderful 101)
X (is what I'm naming an Excite Rep)
Yuri Kozukata (Fatal Frame)
Zael (The Last Story)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Limitations affect polycount, skeleton count, texture resolution, material complexity, cloth and hair physics, but they don't really affect art direction. For some reason the Smash team struggles with faces, particularly the more anime ones.
Seriously, what is up with Shulk's face in that Smash trailer?
hqdefault.jpg

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Eww. I'm sorry, but amateur attempts at imitating Sakuria's standards doesn't do it for me. So glad we have every veteran this time so we don't have to rely on ugly mods to satisfy our imagination.
There are some really, really high quality mods and fangames out there (and there are a lot of low quality ones, but those don't take away from the high quality ones.) The fact that they're made by fans rather than by people being paid to make them doesn't in any way diminish how much effort and care has been put into them... you're really missing out.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
How does Bowser Jr. dance in his mech if he uses it for 99% of his movepool?
And what about R.O.B.? The guy can't even-

yeah ok nevermind
Ehh, R.O.B. looks much more "fluid" than Mimikyu thanks to its bendable spine and the chest-thing that goes up, down and spins. Helps that they had a lot of creative freedom with it, too. Mimikyu is kinda static, being a small ghost in a blanket with a fluffy ball attached to it's "head." The fact that the blanket can't reveal what's underneath is the biggest problem, imo, followed by the fact that the head is just a decoy. A floating blanket might have a lot of ways to move, but one that's constantly stuck to something inside? Not so much. The only floating Mimikyu I've seen is that small dead (or something like that?) one with Acerola in the anime. I haven't seen Jessie's one float like that, but I haven't seen much of the anime so correct me if I'm wrong.
Jr. doesn't have that problem because he can freely move inside the mech and go out.
I'd love for Mimikyu to be in the game, but I'm having a hard time seeing that work. Thankfully Sakurai is a better game developer than I'll probably ever be so :drshrug:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as Mimikyu is concerned, I'd honestly be pleased if it got in with its personality from the games.

Just keep the anime Team Rocket version far, FAR away. It ruined the character.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I doubt we are getting a new pokemon character. 6 newcomers at most. and maybe 4 or 5 echos.
in fact, I am only expecting 7 characters left. one for each month leading up and then a bunch at the end,

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
There are some really, really high quality mods and fangames out there (and there are a lot of low quality ones, but those don't take away from the high quality ones.) The fact that they're made by fans rather than by people being paid to make them doesn't in any way diminish how much effort and care has been put into them... you're really missing out.
No. I'm not missing out. I've seen the best of them, like the Wolf mod for Wii U. But, you shouldn't legitimize mods. They shouldn't be placed on an equal pedestal as the official creation. I can't in good conscious say that the Wolf mod for Wii U remotely satisfies me in place of him actually being in the game. It would be an insult to Nintendo and its characters if I acted like it did.

I think good mods should be admired, but they should never be treated as if they are official games (like Project M).

I kind of find it insulting that Project
Ehh, R.O.B. looks much more "fluid" than Mimikyu thanks to its bendable spine and the chest-thing that goes up, down and spins. Helps that they had a lot of creative freedom with it, too. Mimikyu is kinda static, being a small ghost in a blanket with a fluffy ball attached to it's "head." The fact that the blanket can't reveal what's underneath is the biggest problem, imo, followed by the fact that the head is just a decoy. A floating blanket might have a lot of ways to move, but one that's constantly stuck to something inside? Not so much. The only floating Mimikyu I've seen is that small dead (or something like that?) one with Acerola in the anime. I haven't seen Jessie's one float like that, but I haven't seen much of the anime so correct me if I'm wrong.
Jr. doesn't have that problem because he can freely move inside the mech and go out.
I'd love for Mimikyu to be in the game, but I'm having a hard time seeing that work. Thankfully Sakurai is a better game developer than I'll probably ever be so :drshrug:
Here's a perfect demonstration of how Mimikyu would work in Smash Ultimate and possibly be one of the most unique fighters.
Here, you can see Mimikyu jumping, dashing, trapping Pikachu inside his blanket (good idea for a grab animation as well as a Final Smash), and the unique ability to extend his arms far beyond his hitbox.

But, if Sakurai can't somehow make that work (despite the endless potential) I wouldn't be surprised if Zeraora was his second pick.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
View attachment 154214

Got bored so I did a new game based on the previous word association one:

A-Z of newcomers. We're in a parallel universe where 26 newcomer is feasible, but you can only have one of each letter. Who you pick?

A: Andy
B: Bandana Dee
C: Captain Toad
D: Dixie Kong
E: Elma
F: Fossil Fighter
G: Gooey
H: Henry Flemming(you're welcome Oppossum)
I: Impa
J: Jashin(and Doshin)
K: Kamek
L: Lyn
M: Meowth
N: Nikki(was a tough choice)
O: Octoling
P: Porky(although Paper Mario was close)
Q: Qbby
R: Ribbon Girl
S: Slippy Toad(Samurai Goroh was close)
T: Toad
U: Urobosa(not many U's)
V: Vaati
W: Waluigi
X: Xander(again not many X's)
Y: Yuga
Z: Zoroark (almost went for Zant but way too many Zelda newcomers)

What are yours?
A – Agumon [Digimon] | Ashley [Wario]
B – Black Knight [Fire Emblem]
C – Charlotte [Fire Emblem]
D – Dixie Kong [Donkey Kong]
E – Dr. Eggman [Sonic the Hedgehog] | Ephraim [Fire Emblem]
F – Fighter (Warrior of Light) [Final Fantasy I/Dissidia Final Fantasy]
G – Gardevoir [Pokémon]
H – Hector [Fire Emblem]
I – Isaac [Golden Sun]
J – “Joker” [Persona]
K – Knuckles the Echidna [Sonic the Hedgehog]
L – Lyn [Fire Emblem]
M – Miles “Tails” Prower [Sonic the Hedgehog]
N – Nightmare [Soul Calibur]
O – Octoling [Splatoon]
P – Pyra (featuring Rex) [Xenoblade]
Q – “Queen” (Makoto Nijima) [Persona]
R – King K. Rool [Donkey Kong]
S – Shadow the Hedgehog [Sonic the Hedgehog] | Sephiroth [Final Fantasy VII]
T – Tifa Lockhart [Final Fantasy VII]
U – Urbosa [The Legend of Zelda]
V – Vaati [The Legend of Zelda]
W – Bandana Waddle Dee [Kirby]
X – Mega Man X [Mega Man]
Y – Yarn Yoshi [Yoshi]
Z – Zephiel [Fire Emblem]

I had to really wrack my brain for a "Q" character, because I didn't want to say Qbby.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I doubt we are getting a new pokemon character. 6 newcomers at most. and maybe 4 or 5 echos.
in fact, I am only expecting 7 characters left. one for each month leading up and then a bunch at the end,
This is in need of some solid explanation. Especially the part about no Pokemon newcomer.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Pokemon is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises and due to the nature of the series it is arguable the easiest game to pick a newcomer from as new, popular Pokemon come out every 2-3 years.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
With the addition of Hilda and Impa as echo fighters, I'm prepared for the possibility that there may be only 5 more newcomers, leaving us at 70 fighters (not counting Echo Fighters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom