• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Peach looks happy as ever despite being in a game like Smash, wouldn't you say? It's not like it's any better than getting kidnapped constantly, you instead just get beat up by others.

Mei Ling: She's got plenty of experience with defending herself, though, she's been around for quite a while in Smash and can definitely hold her own. Don't underestimate her innocent appearance, Snake.

Snake: Plus she's got that little Toad guy helping her out, and she even uses stuff like golf clubs and frying pans... Wait a minute, where do they even come from?

Mei Ling: She likely has plenty of space under her dress to store all of them, but I'm not too sure. Otherwise, it's probably a secret that should remain a secret.

Snake: Just like plenty of other things about women... by the way, remind me, what year were you born in?

Mei Ling: Nice try Snake, but you should never ask a women her age or her weight. You'll just have to find out yourself.
Reminds me of a choice quote from MGS1.
Meryl: "Women have more hiding places than men."

D

Deleted member

So, not sure if anyone posted this yet but this happened today.
Adeleine's dream friend trailer for Star Allies finally came out but interestingly enough, all those old theories that Bandana Dee was the same Waddle Dee as the one in Kirby 64 just got a ton stronger because the end of the trailer implies it. Do you all think this affects his chances at all, or nah?
You're asking if a theory about lore that has received a possible nod in an upcoming DLC update for a game released earlier this year affects the chances of a character being included in Smash.

I want you to consider this carefully and ask again. :p

That being said, the trailer didn't imply anything really. Bandana Dee is the stand-in for the Waddle Dee species as a whole, so it makes sense to have him to fill the role of Waddle Dee for a reference involving Kirby 64.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Peach looks happy as ever despite being in a game like Smash, wouldn't you say? It's not like it's any better than getting kidnapped constantly, you instead just get beat up by others.

Mei Ling: She's got plenty of experience with defending herself, though, she's been around for quite a while in Smash and can definitely hold her own. Don't underestimate her innocent appearance, Snake.

Snake: Plus she's got that little Toad guy helping her out, and she even uses stuff like golf clubs and frying pans... Wait a minute, where do they even come from?

Mei Ling: She likely has plenty of space under her dress to store all of them, but I'm not too sure. Otherwise, it's probably a secret that should remain a secret.

Snake: Just like plenty of other things about women... by the way, remind me, what year were you born in?

Mei Ling: Nice try Snake, but you should never ask a women her age or her weight. You'll just have to find out yourself.
Not completely related to these original good stuffs, but looking at these make me assume they’ll reuse all of the Codec Calls recorded from Brawl (with some minor changes) and record new ones for characters he’s never talked to...or I get lucky and Pit/Snake record new lines for...EVERYONE!!!!
Sure. But more importantly, Percy as an echo fighter of Pit confirmed?
Maybe he’s the real clone of Pit for all we know. Wouldn’t be too much of a surprise since both have the same voice, are heroic, young, pimps, and can’t fly on their own

KMDP

Smash Legend
Tomorrow's preview:

Snake: Jeez, the length of his sword is kind of ridiculous...

Next up::ultmarth:
Otacon: I dunno, Snake. Have you seen Cloud's, even Ike's? Seriously, I think anyone who uses a sword is compensating for something.
Raiden: ...
Otacon: Oh, hey, Raiden. What's up?
Snipperclips (Snipperclips)
Considering Snipperclips doesn't have a unique logo of it's own, we're probably not getting a Stage from it.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
KMDP said:
Considering Snipperclips doesn't have a unique logo of it's own, we're probably not getting a Stage from it.
I just picked it as the designated stage that all the obscure music goes to, like Pictochat.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I just hope Gamer is back since that's one of my favorite stages and that Wario Land gets a remix or at the very least more songs (even if it's from Wario World)

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Everyone's been saying that K. Rool's ship is likely to be his home stage...
...and I'm just sitting here formulating how well a DK factory stage could work. Seriously, how come nobody has brought up the possibility of Kremkroc Industries or Frantic Factory as K. Rool's home stage?
okay so..
Yeah. I'm in agreement with this. DKCR even shows how much potential this would have.

Zerp Zerp it affects nothing b/c it's just a nod back to the original five in Kirby 64.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Time for another FORUM GAME

Except this one is kind of good.

Make a reveal trailer for your most wanted newcomer(s). The trailer can have as many characters as you want, ranging from a simple trailer with 1 character (like Megaman or Wii Fit Trainer), to a complex trailer with 5 - 6 characters (like Brawl's reveal trailer).

I'll start:
Smash Logo. Begins with a large shot of Bowser's. Cut to one of the hallways leading up to the throne room. A shadow is jumping between columns, taking down Goombas, Koopas, and other mooks. A lone Shy Guy stands alert, ready for a fight. The shadow vaults over the Shy Guy, taking it's mask off, and says, "I'll reveal your true form!" The shadow stands behind the Shy Guy and stands up, revealing Joker from Persona 5 as he summons Arsen behind him. Newcomer splash: "Joker steals the show!" Commence gameplay. Background music is Last Surprise. Joker's moveset revolves around the use of various Persona that can perform different attacks. Most of his attacks use Arsen, but he also uses series staples like Jack Frost and Jack-o"-Lantern. His final Smash has him pull out his model gun and shoot the opponent(s) in front of him, stunning them. Following that, he uses an All-Out Attack with Ryuji, Ann, and Morgana on those stunned. The post scene is Joker busting into the treasure room, which holds a kidnapped Princess Peach. Behind him you can hear Bowser roar. Trailer end.

I might make one for Sora if I can think of one.

The trailer starts out with the Smash logo as normal. The opening shot is of Ryu fighting a wide variety of characters of Battlefield, knocking them all away. Suddenly, a strange portal opens before him, and Ryu, out of sheer curiosity, picks up his duffel bag and heads in. Suddenly, he appears on the other side of the portal, leading him to a crowded platform outside a train station. Looking at nearby signage, it reads: Esaka Station. Ryu suddenly hears footsteps behind him, Ryu dropping his bag on the ground, and then a small flame flies past him, Ryu smirking at the familiar feeling flame. Nearby onlookers suddenly getting excited, a voice saying:

"Even now this doesn't scare you, does it old man? Then I'll just have to go all out!"

Ryu turns around to face his opponent, revealing the newcomer and the splash screen:

KYO KUSANAGI BURNS THE COMPETITION!

Before the gameplay starts, there's a little bit of animation that harkens back to SVC Chaos' intro where Ryu and Kyo are facing off, the two charging at each other, the trailer cutting to gameplay. The background music would be some sort of arranged track of Japan Team's KOF 96 theme. Kyo's moveset revolves around him utilizing a whole bunch of moves he's had over the years. .Here's an example moveset I did for him ages ago if you need an idea to visualize any moves: https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-ultimate-discussion.434391/page-488#post-21947759.

The trailer ends featuring both of Kyo's final smashes based on the above moveset I made for him: his signature Orochinagi and his Neo Max Super from KOF XIII: Ama no Murakumo.

The trailer ends with a post trailer scene, Kyo going to hit Ryu with the final blow, before a fist full of fire, intercepts the attack, revealing Ken as Kyo's next opponent...

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
You're asking if a theory about lore that has received a possible nod in an upcoming DLC update for a game released earlier this year affects the chances of a character being included in Smash.

I want you to consider this carefully and ask again. :p

That being said, the trailer didn't imply anything really. Bandana Dee is the stand-in for the Waddle Dee species as a whole, so it makes sense to have him to fill the role of Waddle Dee for a reference involving Kirby 64.
Sakurai probably still has contact with HAL, he made Bandana Dee and he also worked on Kirby 64 as a voice actor, if it's true I think he'd have to have known before now unless it's a retcon or something like that. I mean, it won't really affect his chances even if it was true since we don't see all the variables, but maybe it'd affect our perception of his chances if we took it at face value lol. Although yeah, it's true that it doesn't really imply it, I was a little too eager to see it happen and made a big assumption, it shouldn't affect his chances.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Honestly I think people are a bit too conservative about new stages. We got a bit less than like 50 new stages between Smash Wii U and 3DS. Even with all the returning stages is only 10 new ones really a realistic estimate? It's not like stages are as hard to make as new characters.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I just picked it as the designated stage that all the obscure music goes to, like Pictochat.
Well, there are lots of pre-existing stages that can do that.

Balloon Fight
Find Mii
Flat Zone (1, 2 or X)
Gamer
Hanenbow
Living Room
Miiverse (if it comes back with canned messages)
Pictochat (1 or 2)
Pilotwings
Tomodachi Life
Wrecking Crew
Wuhu Island

Noipoi

Howdy!
Honestly I think people are a bit too conservative about new stages. We got a bit less than like 50 new stages between Smash Wii U and 3DS. Even with all the returning stages is only 10 new ones really a realistic estimate? It's not like stages are as hard to make as new characters.
I'm not being conservative, I just don't have that many ideas! :p.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
Only because we've got at minimum 79 confirmed returning stages, most of which are remastered. That is a LOT of work, so it's best to not expect many new stages. This isn't the same situation as 4 where most stages are new.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Only because we've got at minimum 79 confirmed returning stages, most of which are remastered. That is a LOT of work, so it's best to not expect many new stages. This isn't the same situation as 4 where most stages are new.
what this guy said + we don't know what else is in the game

we're playing it safe and having super conservative estimates so we get excited for basically anything new.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Well, there are lots of pre-existing stages that can do that.

Balloon Fight
Find Mii
Flat Zone (1, 2 or X)
Gamer
Hanenbow
Living Room
Miiverse (if it comes back with canned messages)
Pictochat (1 or 2)
Pilotwings
Tomodachi Life
Wrecking Crew
Wuhu Island
plus, for songs that are from any other series, they can just slap it somewhere else

rip golden sun music

StormC

Smash Hero
Sakurai confirmed in Famitsu not every stage is returning.

Hopefully after 17 years Fountain finally returns.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Only because we've got at minimum 79 confirmed returning stages, most of which are remastered. That is a LOT of work, so it's best to not expect many new stages. This isn't the same situation as 4 where most stages are new and not returning.
Point taken, and I'm not a game developer but I would have to imagine that remastering stages generally takes less effort than creating new ones. I'm not expecting as much as Smash 4, but I just think that 10 is more like a minimum than the most likely count. Granted, there have only been 3 new stages shown off so far so I get the sense that they don't have THAT much to show off. Just like, more than 10 imo.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Point taken, and I'm not a game developer but I would have to imagine that remastering stages generally takes less effort than creating new ones. I'm not expecting as much as Smash 4, but I just think that 10 is more like a minimum than the most likely count. Granted, there have only been 3 new stages shown off so far so I get the sense that they don't have THAT much to show off. Just like, more than 10 imo.
Nope, for some of these remastering is basically redoing everything but the design/geometry. It's less work than creating a stage for sure, but still a LOT of work. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if these 3 new stages were all we got. This game has already an insane amount of content.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't even play Kirby and Fountain of Dreams is my most wanted returning stage.
It's just beyond beautiful and seeing that stage in HD with updated everything would be wonderful.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm not being conservative, I just don't have that many ideas! :p.
*cracks knuckles* (:&:)

Mario Series
Bowser's Castle [Home Stage of Bowser]​
Pyrapt Kingdom (Birabuto Kingdom) [Home Stage of Daisy]​
Forest Maze [Home Stage of Geno]​
Donkey Kong
Gangplank Galleon [Home Stage of K. Rool]​
Crocodile Cauldron​
Bramble Blast [Home Stage of Dixie Kong]​
Legend of Zelda
Minish Woods [Home Stage of Vaati]​
Kakariko Village [Home Stage of Impa] (which Kakariko Village? You decide!)
Kirby
Green Gardens [Home Stage of Bandana Dee]​
"Dream Course"​
City Trial​
Pokémon
Sootopolis City [Home Stage of Gardevoir]​
Ruins of Conflict Bridge [Home Stage of Decidueye]​
Mt. Lanakila Summit [Home Stage of Incineroar]​
Fire Emblem
Dragon's Gate [Home Stage of Lyn]​
Mila's Temple [Home Stage of Celica]​
Wario
Rice Beach (changes depending on the Time of Day, with either high tide or low tide) [Home Stage of Captain Syrup]​
Ashley's Mansion [Home Stage of Ashley]​
Xenoblade
Primordia [Home Stage of Elma]​
Golden Sun
Venus Lighthouse [Home Stage of Isaac]​
Third Party
Studiopolis [Home Stage of Tails]​
Radical Highway [Home Stage of Shadow the Hedgehog]​
Northern Cave [Home Stage of Sephiroth]​
Nibelheim [Home Stage of Tifa]​
Dracula's Castle [Home Stage of Simon Belmont]​
Hana Valley [Home Stage of Amaterasu]​
Pink Plant Woods [Home Stage of Rayman]​
How's that?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
*cracks knuckles* (:&:)

Mario Series
Bowser's Castle [Home Stage of Bowser]​
Pyrapt Kingdom (Birabuto Kingdom) [Home Stage of Daisy]​
Forest Maze [Home Stage of Geno]​
Donkey Kong
Gangplank Galleon [Home Stage of K. Rool]​
Crocodile Cauldron​
Bramble Blast [Home Stage of Dixie Kong]​
Legend of Zelda
Minish Woods [Home Stage of Vaati]​
Kakariko Village [Home Stage of Impa] (which Kakariko Village? You decide!)
Kirby
Green Gardens [Home Stage of Bandana Dee]​
"Dream Course"​
City Trial​
Pokémon
Sootopolis City [Home Stage of Gardevoir]​
Mt. Lanakila Summit [Home Stage of Incineroar]​
Fire Emblem
Dragon's Gate [Home Stage of Lyn]​
Mila's Temple [Home Stage of Celica]​
Wario
Rice Beach (changes depending on the Time of Day, with either high tide or low tide) [Home Stage of Captain Syrup]​
Ashley's Mansion [Home Stage of Ashley]​
Xenoblade
Primordia [Home Stage of Elma]​
Golden Sun
Venus Lighthouse [Home Stage of Isaac]​
Third Party
Studiopolis [Home Stage of Tails]​
Radical Highway [Home Stage of Shadow the Hedgehog]​
Northern Cave [Home Stage of Sephiroth]​
Nibelheim [Home Stage of Tifa]​
Dracula's Castle [Home Stage of Simon Belmont]​
Hana Valley [Home Stage of Amaterasu]​
How's that?
0/10 no Rayman.
Seriously though this is rad, I like how you managed to fit in almost every character almost everyone wants.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Nope, for some of these remastering is basically redoing everything but the design/geometry. It's less work than creating a stage for sure, but still a LOT of work. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if these 3 new stages were all we got. This game has already an insane amount of content.
They aren’t going to reveal the only new stages with six months to go. This is the same silly sort of mentality as “what if this is the final roster?”

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
They aren’t going to reveal the only new stages with six months to go. This is the same silly sort of mentality as “what if this is the final roster?”
I know that, that's not the point. The point is that I really do think we're getting waaay less new stuff than people are thinking we will.

EDIT: Granted, I had the exact same feeling with Super Mario Odyssey and the time frame was kinda exactly the same. I'm hoping I'm wrong here as I was there, but Smash Ultimate does already have an insane amount of content already.

Last edited:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Man revealing every new stage you came up with at E3 6 months before the game comes out is a power move if I've ever seen one. But really, if there's even one more character that comes from a series that doesn't have a character yet they'd almost definitely get their own stage. So here's what I'd see as a minimum: a few new stages for the other unnamed newcomers, and a promotional stage or two. I think 11-16 stages seems the most likely at this point. But you know, I personally hope this game feels like it's doing more than just compiling stuff we've had before in one big package. Maybe that's what's going to happen. If so, I'll be mildly disappointed and then play it and love it any way. We'll see.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I know this is Smash 5, aka a sequel. But it’s really starting to look more like a remade collection put together instead of a sequel with NEW content. I mean we have some new content, but most of the content we have is remade old stages and veterans.

Take at me that it’s still a sequel, but it doesn’t feel as much in content that is brand new. To be honest with you if most of the new content is DLC, I somewhat wish to just have all of that new content in a Smash 6 or something.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I know this is Smash 5, aka a sequel. But it’s really starting to look more like a remade collection put together instead of a sequel with NEW content. I mean we have some new content, but most of it is remade old stages and veterans.

Take at me that it’s still a sequel, but it doesn’t feel as much in content. And to be honest with you if most of the new content is DLC, I somewhat wish to just have all of that new content in a Smash 6 or something.
Yeah pretty much.
More than anything else, it feels like Smash 4: 2, especially with the "Ultimate" and "Special" subtitles.

StormC

Smash Hero
I know this is Smash 5, aka a sequel. But it’s really starting to look more like a remade collection put together instead of a sequel with NEW content. I mean we have some new content, but most of the content we have is remade old stages and veterans.

Take at me that it’s still a sequel, but it doesn’t feel as much in content that is brand new. To be honest with you if most of the new content is DLC, I somewhat wish to just have all of that new content in a Smash 6 or something.
It’s a new Smash game, if not necessarily a sequel.

I think a decent comparison is Pokemon BW2. Old content remixed into a new experience.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Man revealing every new stage you came up with at E3 6 months before the game comes out is a power move if I've ever seen one. But really, if there's even one more character that comes from a series that doesn't have a character yet they'd almost definitely get their own stage. So here's what I'd see as a minimum: a few new stages for the other unnamed newcomers, and a promotional stage or two. I think 11-16 stages seems the most likely at this point. But you know, I personally hope this game feels like it's doing more than just compiling stuff we've had before in one big package. Maybe that's what's going to happen. If so, I'll be mildly disappointed and then play it and love it any way. We'll see.
Yeah that's the thing, the feeling I get with everything Sakurai said and even the game's title (which is also something present in the Japanese title even) this is the definitive Smash game in terms of what's coming back, so yeah, it's a compilation of sorts with new stuff too. I do agree that new series will get new stages, but I don't think we'll have too many new series either. This game's already chock full of content, more than 70 stages (!!!) and an equally absurd number of characters is really really a lot and I think we aren't giving too much credit to it just because there's not much "new stuff".

EDIT: btw I don't agree with the sentiment that this is Smash 4 updated or something like that, this is definitely the new Smash Brothers game, with the same worth as any other new Smash Bros we've ever got

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah pretty much.
More than anything else, it feels like Smash 4: 2, especially with the "Ultimate" and "Special" subtitles.
Super Smash Bros. featuring Ridley:&:

Could we see... a Funky New Mode? And Dante from the Devil May Cry series?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom