• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Sakurai said he didn't do Excitebiker because he couldn't think of a good jump mechanic for him, and because he thought the Ice Climbers had more potential.

He said he would like to include Mach Rider because he has the "coolest name" and he's popular with people his age. He never said anything about Mach Rider having issues or having tried to do anything with him. People just get the two characters mixed up A LOT.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Remember watching that vid a while back! Awesome work, on your whole channel btw.

Now, is it not the wrong way of going after potential newcomers for "filling a quota" ?
I remember there always had to be a Pokémon character, a Fire Emblem, a Retro and a new 3rd Party each time. It's patterns. People obsesses about them.
Personally, I think it's wrong. Take Dixie Kong as an example. People who actually want her, for being unique and true to the character, and have been wanting her for some time, those I can support, those I can gladly agree with, but people who want Dixie to fill an echo "quota?" is something I think is the wrong way of going for characters. Shadow ... Who wanted Shadow before the echo? Same with Dark Samus. (Not saying these characters did not have a fanbase of course, but they doubled in popularity after the whole echo fever, as you simply put it yourself 'PG')

I believe that a character's support should come from people actually wanting to see them in the game. Believe that they will make a great addition, and focus your support towards desire. Not saying that speculating other characters from different series is not fun, because it is very fun, but wanting, or supporting characters just to fill some sort of imaginary void, I believe that's not how fanbases work, or should work.

That's one of the reasons I don't particurarly like the idea of Mach Rider, and Excitebiker, when they are stated to only being desired to fill those quotas. Same with all this echo bull. It's tedious, honestly. And as I said, regarding Mach, and Excite, I'd love to feel excited and hyped for their possible addition, but I don't find them exciting (which is my opinion, which does not mean it's the law), and that's sort of why I wanted to ask people, so that they could hook me onto their idea, but if all people want them is for filling some role, which easily could be filled with other characters that I know got a burning fanbase behind them with ideas, passion, and lots of dedication, that fuels me, and that sells me onto the characters.

I don't want this to feel like a rant, but I do think it's important to put some perspective to your thoughts. (Not you specifically PapaG, but in general). I just kinda wish to hear from a burning fan of Mach and Excitebike, so that perhaps even I could see them, as I don't wish to see them, if all I can go by is filling the Retro pick.
thank you!

yeah i'll admit i am not a burning mach rider fan HOWEVER heres something interesting in regards to "why is he popular":

mach riders game was compatible with the Famicom Data Recorder to save custom tracks. this was ONLY in the japanese version of the game, as the famicom data recorder was japan only. sakurai stated once that when he talks to "older fans" they usually request characters from "The Mysterious Murasame Castle" or "Mach Rider"... I'd suggest the ability to make custom stages might have made mach rider a VERY popular game in japan back in the day while it only had moderate success in the west. so you might not find any burning mach rider fans here...but in japan the older gaming crowd might have a lot of hardcore mach rider fans in the older gamer demographic.

D

Deleted member

I don't think Bill "slipped up", lol. It's more than likely he just forgot who Shulk was and said "Xenoblade characters" because he might not be that familiar with the franchise.

While Bill has shown he likes playing games, I don't think it's unreasonable to think he doesn't play every single Nintendo game released and isn't able to recall the name of every Nintendo character on the spot. Even for someone like me who plays pretty much everything Nintendo makes, I forget character names all the time, especially Fire Emblem characters. There's just so many, ha ha. :p

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Remember watching that vid a while back! Awesome work, on your whole channel btw.

Now, is it not the wrong way of going after potential newcomers for "filling a quota" ?
I remember there always had to be a Pokémon character, a Fire Emblem, a Retro and a new 3rd Party each time. It's patterns. People obsesses about them.
Personally, I think it's wrong. Take Dixie Kong as an example. People who actually want her, for being unique and true to the character, and have been wanting her for some time, those I can support, those I can gladly agree with, but people who want Dixie to fill an echo "quota?" is something I think is the wrong way of going for characters. Shadow ... Who wanted Shadow before the echo? Same with Dark Samus. (Not saying these characters did not have a fanbase of course, but they doubled in popularity after the whole echo fever, as you simply put it yourself 'PG')

I believe that a character's support should come from people actually wanting to see them in the game. Believe that they will make a great addition, and focus your support towards desire. Not saying that speculating other characters from different series is not fun, because it is very fun, but wanting, or supporting characters just to fill some sort of imaginary void, I believe that's not how fanbases work, or should work.

That's one of the reasons I don't particurarly like the idea of Mach Rider, and Excitebiker, when they are stated to only being desired to fill those quotas. Same with all this echo bull. It's tedious, honestly. And as I said, regarding Mach, and Excite, I'd love to feel excited and hyped for their possible addition, but I don't find them exciting (which is my opinion, which does not mean it's the law), and that's sort of why I wanted to ask people, so that they could hook me onto their idea, but if all people want them is for filling some role, which easily could be filled with other characters that I know got a burning fanbase behind them with ideas, passion, and lots of dedication, that fuels me, and that sells me onto the characters.

I don't want this to feel like a rant, but I do think it's important to put some perspective to your thoughts. (Not you specifically PapaG, but in general). I just kinda wish to hear from a burning fan of Mach and Excitebike, so that perhaps even I could see them, as I don't wish to see them, if all I can go by is filling the Retro pick.
"B-but teh retro quota! You gotta fill it it because patterns!"

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I realized something... we may get fully orchestrated versions of the songs on the site at launch. IT was a thing that Nintendo did when Odyssey came out. If you listen to pre-launch versions of Steam Gardens you can easily tell it's midi...
Man, if that's true I can't wait for the snake eater theme remix

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
Here's an idea.

Give your reason for wanting your most most wanted character
Don't try to sell me on the character, just give a explanation on why they're important to you and why you want them.

As a (amateur) character designer, Ashley's solid design immediately stood out to me when I saw her in Smash 4.
I started to really like her when I figured out who she was and where she came from, her lonely nature and want for friendship really struck a chord with me at the time as I was a pretty lonely guy myself. I also think she'd be fun to play with great moveset potential and I would love it if a character I connected with made it into one of my favorite games of all time.
Alright, I guess I'll do my boy Bandana Waddle Dee, my most wanted this time around. My introduction to Kirby was through Super Star Ultra, which was obviously all of these different game modes and stories, but Return of the King was always a very fun one for me, because through Smash Bros Brawl I loved Dedede's design. In Brawl it was always fun to see Dedede and his Waddle Dees, especially when they empower Luigi in the Subspace Emissary. I was infatuated with these little orange blobs and their prevalence in the Kirby series.

And then in Return to the King, we get a glimpse at dialogue between Dedede and a very special Waddle Dee wearing a blue Bandana, ever loyal to his ruler. I thought it was adorable how determined this Waddle Dee was to protect his King, going up against Kirby, who by the point of BWD's "battle", was on a one-man seige. And so later, after his defeat, this little Waddle Dee sticks by his King's side to watch him go down in a masked blaze of glory, cheering him on against Kirby alone in the audience. It's such good characterization in tiny details that really make me love this character.

And then Return to Dream Land came, and on the boxart, alongside the Kirby mainstays, was the Bandana Waddle Dee, and it was a moment of "Heyyyyy. I know him!" And he was a playable character! And I was enthralled with his gameplay and everything that made him unique. And more games kept coming and Bandana Waddle Dee was featured more and more, and given more character, turning him into a strong Warrior, constantly motivated by Kirby. And it was good that this one-off character became essentially the player two of the franchise. Where the other two mainstays have to be Bosses, Bandana Waddle Dee can be Kirby's sidekick, especially in 2015's Rainbow Curse, and the recent Star Allies, where he is the first second-player option.

And I just think he's neat.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
There's going to be another Xenoblade character.

Fans clamored for the game to be released overseas. Shulk was included as a Smash character. The series is now gaining mainstream status.

No reason not to push it.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Mei Ling: Out of Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle, who would you pick, Snake? Honestly, I'm not sure who I'd pick out of the three... they're all adorable!

Snake: That's only until they evolve, and they're much stronger when they're evolved. Knowing you, you'd probably just stop them from evolving. Heck, you'd probably not even battle with them, so what would be the point of having one?

Mei Ling: Just because I would have a Pokémon doesn't mean I have to be a trainer and battle with them. I've heard that there's other things such as performance contests, musicals, movies, and way more that anyone can do with their Pokémon that isn't battling.

Snake: You've got me there. All 3 of them would be pretty useful in a variety of missions, if you think about it. I could hop on the back of a Charizard and use it at a getaway ride, or use a Venusaur to take out guards from a distance with its vines. And if I had a Blastoise, then no more needing to swim.

Mei Ling: You'd basically be using them as tools, and not treating them like living things! That just isn't right!

Snake: Yeah, I guess I'm fine on my own. Unless there's one that can help me turn invisible, that'd be useful...

Mei Ling: Here we go again...

D

Deleted member

Fans clamored for the game to be released overseas. Shulk was included as a Smash character. The series is now gaining mainstream status.

I 100% agree, I just don't think Bill accidentally said something about it or anything like that.

The question is WHO the Xenoblade character might be if we get another one...my money's probably on Rex and Pyra. I've never agreed with the "too new" mentality.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

Looks like 12/7 is shaping up to be a mighty fine Nintendo day!

Also, this release date means nothing. Don't even debate about it. I think they release in November in Japan. I just think they're pretty.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I 100% agree, I just don't think Bill accidentally said something about it or anything like that.

The question is WHO the Xenoblade character might be if we get another one...my money's probably on Rex and Pyra. I've never agreed with the "too new" mentality.
If we're getting a new Xenoblade newcomer for the base roster (and that's big if) it's going to be Elma, since Xenoblade X was the most recent game around the time the roster was being conceptualised, particularly thanks to that game's international release date. Either that or we get no Xenoblade newcomers because Sakurai wants to focus on ballot choices and generally popular characters with 1 or 2 "weird" curveball characters.

D

Deleted member

Also, this release date means nothing. Don't even debate about it. I think they release in November in Japan. I just think they're pretty.
STOP CRUSHING MY DREAMS.

Nintendo has been really on it with amiibo this year. Looking forward to picking all of these up and then having no money for actual games, lol.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
"Characters" plural term for xenoblade characters

So maybe sakurai knew about Rex & pyra or mythra before the roster was complete

However but what about shulks final smash and assist trophys they involve xenoblade
It was in the context of playable characters, though.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
On the note of Xenoblade again, has it ever been stated when they conceptualized and implemented the Driver mechanic into XC2? It's an important part of Rex/Pyra's potential, so I was curious when that was first developed.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
Heh, I forgot about using the toy as a model.

I always assumed it would be for Elma but now that she is probably going to have a cinematic for her FS, I can see it as a possibility, But I don’t see why Sakurai would spoil something like that if he was working on Smash.

As long as Ayumi gets in (she is a lot more WTF than Mach Rider, in terms of Western audiences, she’s a classic in Japan) then I would be fine with her, hopefully.
Is Detective Club still highly regarded in Japan? I played part II years ago and remember it being pretty good, though I can't think of moveset ideas or really striking stages. If Sakurai can figure it out I'm a happy camper, and I'm fine if we just get a remixed track or two.

Mach Rider I think is probably the last (or one of the last) NES/Famicom characters they could really use. I really love the retro picks, it's an opportunity to show off Nintendo's history as well as a chance to revitalize a series (we at least got another KI game). Less source material also gives more liberties in making a moveset, for better or worse. But like I said, there's not much left to take from that generation if we're talking just 1st party games. Like, did anyone actually enjoy Urban Champion? I feel like the more likely 3rd gen picks are the more mundane, launch era games that are at least somewhat familiar worldwide (so no Ayumi, Tamagon or Mike Jones). But to be fair, I'm basing that more off of stuff like NES remix, and Duck Hunt being the retro in 4 (DH is a necessary pick to me, but safe at the same time).

I'm thinking they should draw from more 4th-6th gen characters, though i don't really consider 6th gen "retro". Lip is the first one that comes to mind, but now I'm drawing a blank. What are some other good picks? Prince Sable would be cool too, I don't think we've seen his AT yet, and since he was in the last game people are kind of familiar with him. I just want more of the crazier retro picks, since I don't like the idea of all the newcomers being from the past few years. But pulling from just the NES is sort of the same problem, there's a lot of history in between they could pull from.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So... if there was a 30 minute Nintendo Direct on the 22nd, they'd have talked about it by now right?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They also announce one day before as well so it's not fake till tomorrow atleast
Have they announced Directs on weekends before though...? I know I’m already doubting the actual direct itself being on a weekend but I’d imagine it’s not too unusual to announce one on a weekend?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Cuphead part is the one that really sets up the red flags for me. Microsoft is hurting for exclusives so I don't think they'd be giving them away.

Though with that, Crash Bandicoot and Remastered, we'll hav ethe whole Dark Souls trilogy on the Switch

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Here's an idea.

Don't try to sell me on the character, just give a explanation on why they're important to you and why you want them.

As a (amateur) character designer, Ashley's solid design immediately stood out to me when I saw her in Smash 4.
I started to really like her when I figured out who she was and where she came from, her lonely nature and want for friendship really struck a chord with me at the time as I was a pretty lonely guy myself. I also think she'd be fun to play with great moveset potential and I would love it if a character I connected with made it into one of my favorite games of all time.
Ocarina of Time was the first Zelda game I played as a kid, and I instantly fell in love with the series - the gameplay, the story, exploration and dungeons, and characters. And for some reason Impa really stood out for me. Even though her role was minor compared to Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. Probably because she was this badass female ninja who protected and raised Zelda. I thought the off-screen story between Impa and Zelda was very interesting, and always wanted to see more of it. Plus she was the sage of the Shadow Temple, the best temple.

Then Impa - besides older Impa - disappeared for a while. She showed up again in Skyward Sword as one of the main characters. And with a game full of great characters (seriously, that's why I love that game, despite the poor controls and linear progression) - like Ghirahim, Groose, Zelda - she was still my favorite. Seeing her go full ninja was awesome, and cementing her as one of the key characters in lore was great.

And then Hyrule Warrios came out, and I got to play as her and, well, I want to play as her in Smash too. I'd also just like more variety in the Zelda characters in general. There's so many great characters (and Tingle :p) that either have appeared more than once, or only appeared once but left a big impact, that it's kind of a shame there's only variations of Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf playable.

Thoughts on the Bill Trinen Leak? I'm not holding my breath, honestly.
I'm not sure he accidentally let anything slip, but I think Elma already seemed likely because of the timing, Sakurai's preference for the game, and Xenoblade rising in popularity and number of games.

But on the subject of Mach Rider, I do think he (she?) is the most likely retro rep, and I would not be surprised if he got in. I really can't see Sakurai not picking a character out of left field, like Wii Fit/Game&Watch/ROB and going wild with it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Mach Rider I think is probably the last (or one of the last) NES/Famicom characters they could really use. I really love the retro picks, it's an opportunity to show off Nintendo's history as well as a chance to revitalize a series (we at least got another KI game). Less source material also gives more liberties in making a moveset, for better or worse. But like I said, there's not much left to take from that generation if we're talking just 1st party games. Like, did anyone actually enjoy Urban Champion? I feel like the more likely 3rd gen picks are the more mundane, launch era games that are at least somewhat familiar worldwide (so no Ayumi, Tamagon or Mike Jones). But to be fair, I'm basing that more off of stuff like NES remix, and Duck Hunt being the retro in 4 (DH is a necessary pick to me, but safe at the same time).

I'm thinking they should draw from more 4th-6th gen characters, though i don't really consider 6th gen "retro". Lip is the first one that comes to mind, but now I'm drawing a blank. What are some other good picks? Prince Sable would be cool too, I don't think we've seen his AT yet, and since he was in the last game people are kind of familiar with him. I just want more of the crazier retro picks, since I don't like the idea of all the newcomers being from the past few years. But pulling from just the NES is sort of the same problem, there's a lot of history in between they could pull from.
There is the possibility of picking a character from Pro Wrestling, specifically Star Man (a stylish acrobat) or The Amazon (a fishman that's been a dirty cheater long before Waluigi took up that character habit). The game has several characters to choose from, and those two are the most memorable by far. In terms of FS, it could be a simple matter of summoning the game's entire wrestling cast to beat the ever-loving tar out of your opponent with their signature moves.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
On the note of Xenoblade again, has it ever been stated when they conceptualized and implemented the Driver mechanic into XC2? It's an important part of Rex/Pyra's potential, so I was curious when that was first developed.
Given when the roster was being conceptualised, does it truly matter since Xenoblade X was still the most recent game around that time? At any rate, Rex is more likely to be DLC than in the base roster.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
ITT: being an "anime" character is bad.

*smh*
There aren't specific artstyles you dislike?

When I mentioned that literally none of them can be played quite the same, he pondered it for a second and realized that that was true. You can't play any of the swordfighters the same despite them using a similar weapon.

Come now. 3 of the Fire Emblem characters have near identical special movesets. 5 of them have a counter.

Sure, Roy is ostensibly played differently from Marth and Lucina but you're having a laugh if you think the similarities aren't very obvious.

The only reason any one complains about "anime swordsmen" is because their particular newcomer of choice is not an anime swordsman/swordswoman.

I mean, it's a (completely obvious and logical redundant to point out) reason. But perhaps rather than trying to trivialise it as such you could ask WHY our newcomer of choice is not one of those.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Wait just to be clear. The guy who said a direct would on the 22nd with Mother 3D and K. Rool & Dixie in Ultimate would happen also said Lloyd joining too right? If iis true. Oh boy :)

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I really don't want more goddamn swordfighters. None of them are fun to play as.
Plus most of 'em don't look that distinct or interesting.

We definitly need more character designs along the lines of Dedede, rather than more Marths.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Lloyd Irving did get a Mii Costume, much like Inklings, as well as K Rool, Geno, Chrom, etc. I know that's not say too much, but I do think Mii Costumes were decided based on popularity.

I mean, why else make a costume of them?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Wait just to be clear. The guy who said a direct would on the 22nd with Mother 3D and K. Rool & Dixie in Ultimate would happen also said Lloyd joining too right? If iis true. Oh boy :)
No, no he didn't as far as I know. The Direct "leaker" only said that a Direct would happen on the 22nd.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

The time to push Xenoblade was back during the tail end of Smash 4 DLC when Elma was current. As of now, Rex and Pyra came too late for the project plan and I'm not sure how interested Sakurai is in pushing what would essentially be a second Ike in a game with far less newcomers.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I understand that Elma was the main pick from a game that came out around the beginning of development, I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that he would look down the road at what would be hot around the time of release. I understand the dates of the concept

If nothing else, I fully expect Rex & Pyra as DLC.

Basically it’ll look like this this:

Base Game: Elma/no one/ highly unlikely but Rex & Pyra

DLC: Rex & Pyra

Either way, Xenoblade will get somebody.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
There is the possibility of picking a character from Pro Wrestling, specifically Star Man (a stylish acrobat) or The Amazon (a fishman that's been a dirty cheater long before Waluigi took up that character habit). The game has several characters to choose from, and those two are the most memorable by far. In terms of FS, it could be a simple matter of summoning the game's entire wrestling cast to beat the ever-loving tar out of your opponent with their signature moves.
I forgot about Star Man, and for some reason I thought he was from a different game (not one of the ones with that generic boxart, like the other sports games and SMB, Duck Hunt, etc). I'd be down for Star Man in the game, since there's not really a true grappler in the game imo (I'd love to see Travis Touchdown fill this role, but he's got like a 50% chance as DLC at best). Has Sakurai mentioned interest in the character? I've seen some people talk about him before. My only concern is that at this rate his inclusion is just as likely as him being an AT, like Sukapon and Takamaru. But since Pro Wrestling was an international release, maybe that won't be the case.

Also I kind of downplayed it in my last post, but I really hope StarTropics gets some love in this game. There hasn't been a single song in the Smash series afaik, and Mike Jones would be neat as a Western-only Nintendo character (even though StarTropics was developed by Nintendo of Japan).

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
From what I read about Sakurai concerns about leaking material (source game interview), I think it's possible we get a game without a serious leak anytime before the final month.
A lot of Nintendo workers don't know much more about the game. That's harsh and cool at the same time cause I'm just thirsty for any kind of information. I miss the old Pic of the Days.
Between some Luigi's nose there were cool surprises.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's an idea.

I'll cover my two most wanted newcomers, Chrom and Celica.

For Chrom, those who remember me from the Smash 4 speculation days knew me as a big Chrom supporter. He and Little Mac were the two newcomers I wanted more than any other. Chrom was the first Fire Emblem character I was introduced to outside of Smash when I first played the Awakening demo when it came out, and to this day he remains my favorite character in the franchise. I've written posts here before detailing why I really enjoy Chrom as a character, so I won't bore everyone else by repeating myself too much. :p Needless to say I was bummed out when he got snubbed last time, but I'm still hoping for the best this time around (even if he's just an Ike echo), even if I'm not expecting much. For the record I'm definitely of the opinion he could be made to be unique, but like I said, I'll take what I can get.

For Celica, Shadows of Valentia surprised me in the best of ways. I'd been curious about Fire Emblem Gaiden ever since I played Awakening (I had some of the DLC maps for that game, including the ones that gave out Alm and Celica as Einherjar units). For whatever reason the game was just a fascination of mine and, while I hoped it would be remade someday, I wasn't expecting it. Cue the announcement of a remake in the form of Shadows of Valentia and I was hyped. Got it like the day of release and everything, and it was the first game I preordered since Pokemon Pearl all the way back in 2006 or 2007 (whenever that was). Celica immediately grabbed me as a character, and in the end she became my favorite from SoV (and third favorite in the series over all, only behind Chrom and Virion and right above Merric). Much of it was due to SoV's amazing presentation, with the voice work (including full voice acting), art direction, and music making it a stand out title and bringing Valentia to life. And I know her actions toward the latter half of the game are...controversial, to say the least, but I will defend what she did as rational for her character until the day I die, dammit. :p Plus in the context of Smash Bros, Valentian magic is so radically different from the rest of the magic in the series that there's a lot of fun to be had with it.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Has anybody checked the japanese direct page? Sometimes there would be a blank space there, signifying that a direct is coming soon.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I forgot about Star Man, and for some reason I thought he was from a different game (not one of the ones with that generic boxart, like the other sports games and SMB, Duck Hunt, etc). I'd be down for Star Man in the game, since there's not really a true grappler in the game imo (I'd love to see Travis Touchdown fill this role, but he's got like a 50% chance as DLC at best). Has Sakurai mentioned interest in the character? I've seen some people talk about him before. My only concern is that at this rate his inclusion is just as likely as him being an AT, like Sukapon and Takamaru. But since Pro Wrestling was an international release, maybe that won't be the case.

Also I kind of downplayed it in my last post, but I really hope StarTropics gets some love in this game. There hasn't been a single song in the Smash series afaik, and Mike Jones would be neat as a Western-only Nintendo character (even though StarTropics was developed by Nintendo of Japan).
Star Man, hasn't been mentioned, but might be likely. Has Duck Hunt been brought up by Sakurai before Smash 4? If not, then anything could happen regarding NES-only characters.

I don't know if anyone in Japan knows of the series at all, so the support for Mike would be West-only at best. We'll see what happens though.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There aren't specific artstyles you dislike?

When I mentioned that literally none of them can be played quite the same, he pondered it for a second and realized that that was true. You can't play any of the swordfighters the same despite them using a similar weapon.

Come now. 3 of the Fire Emblem characters have near identical special movesets. 5 of them have a counter.

Sure, Roy is ostensibly played differently from Marth and Lucina but you're having a laugh if you think the similarities aren't very obvious.

The only reason any one complains about "anime swordsmen" is because their particular newcomer of choice is not an anime swordsman/swordswoman.

I mean, it's a (completely obvious and logical redundant to point out) reason. But perhaps rather than trying to trivialise it as such you could ask WHY our newcomer of choice is not one of those.
Having similar moves =\= same playstyle. A Marth main cant pick up Roy and do the same things.

Link and Toon Link have the same moveset in Wii U for the most part. They play differently though...nobody complains about them? Why is that? It’s because they’re mad a Fire Emblem character got in when their favorite didn’t.

I don’t get why the similarities are a bad thing if it means more players are able to play as their favorite character. Especially if the overall playstyle differentiates them from the others. It’s not like complaining about them existing is going to get another character in or something, so why bother complaining about it?

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
The time to push Xenoblade was back during the tail end of Smash 4 DLC when Elma was current. As of now, Rex and Pyra came too late for the project plan and I'm not sure how interested Sakurai is in pushing what would essentially be a second Ike in a game with far less newcomers.
Elma wasn't Smash 4 DLC most likely because she was too hard to implement. The same thing with Inklings, Smash 4 didn't have existing physics/mechanics for ink and mechs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom