• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Why are the prices for the new amiibos more? Please Nintendo. I am not paying 16 dollars for an amiibo.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Shipping is dumb. It's all noncanon anyways unless the game explicitly says one pairing is canon cough xenoblade cough.

Now you know what's even more salt inducing than shipping arguments? Power-scaling arguments. You wouldn't believe how many people want to mention that Kirby is the god-king of the universe whenever this topic is brought up.
Well, Kirby is an outright planet buster in the mainline games as of Robobot. Endgame Shulk might be the most powerful but Kirby and Super Sonic definitely kick the most ass out of the Smashers.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Near 4 dollars shy from 20 dollars is a bit much for the type of collectible an amiibo is.
16 is four dollars shy from 12, I don't see how it makes that much of a difference.
You want Ridley and Wolf to look good, yeah?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, good sub $50 figures are really damn rare, so I'm glad amiibos exist for that purpose.
Otherwise, you're stuck with cheap bootleg copycat figurines or spending hundreds of dollars for immaculate figurines.

I'm just glad I have a little something to show off my love for a game and occupy some empty desk space I have.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Honestly, good sub $50 figures are really damn rare, so I'm glad amiibos exist for that purpose.
Otherwise, you're stuck with cheap bootleg copycat figurines or spending hundreds of dollars for immaculate figurines.

I'm just glad I have a little something to show off my love for a game and occupy some empty desk space I have.
I mean yeah I can see how the inexpensiveness is a great selling point, but four whole buckaroos isn't that much alarming. It's probably the manufacturing costs to make them slightly more appealing and to avoid another Merf.

Just imagine a Riddle or a Woof

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well to be fair Pit is actually 23+ years old
And age is how all Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem ships are able to be a thing
Kirby, Metroid, and Kid Icarus fans are all locked in an eternal sperg war that rages to this day over this exact topic.
Meanwhile Shulk can eat the universe or something? IDK. I blame that awful Death Battle program the kids are watching these days.
you leave Death Battle out of this
I'm not into shipping talk. Plus, I'd have one of the most predictable pairings ever...
Yoshi and Birdo
Reading people's posts about shipping talk in Smash Bros will always amuse me.

Dark Pit x Viridi is canon btw.
But Dark Pit only loves himself...and Shadow’s edginess

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I wonder what the amiibo waves are going to be for this game.

We know Wave 1 has Inkling, Ridley, and Wolf.

So I expect them to try to go with all the veterans first, and then newcomers. For Example, Wave 2 is Snake, Pichu, Pokémon Trainer, and Ice Climbers

Wave 3 is Young Link, Squirtle, and Ivysaur

Wave 4 and beyond are Base/DLC Newcomers

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm kinda sad that it's just gonna be a rerelease of the old amiibos instead of something new. I'd love to get my hands on a PoR Ike, ALttP Zelda, or a BotW Link with the master sword and hylian shield.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm kinda sad that it's just gonna be a rerelease of the old amiibos instead of something new. I'd love to get my hands on a PoR Ike, ALttP Zelda, or a BotW Link with the master sword and hylian shield.
I don't know, I feel like making them based off of Smash 4 ones was a win-lose. You have the aesthetic that they're literally based off of their model, but the toys to life kind of gimmick was gonna move onto the Switch anyway. The fact that I knew it was gonna continue and probably not update any of the preexisting Smash amiibo was the reason I never collected. I got a Luigi one back when I mained him, but I moved on to bigger things since

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I'll be gunning for the Young Link and PT Amiibo, Pichu too.

Looking forward to seeing how they come out.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Off topic, but I'm calling it now: Daisy will be using Bowser and son's victory theme. It'd fit in with her being the wilder one of the princess trio, and is just all around energetic like her.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’m looking back at everyone’s predictions, and so far most of the ones I see don’t have new Nintendo IPs, and instead characters from already existing ones aside from Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven, sometimes.

I’m hoping we get more new Nintendo IPS represented with characters aside from those, but since there’s going to be less than last time I can see why most of the newcomers are from existing or new third party series since they’re one of the most popular ones.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I find it funny they dubbed Marth but left Cloud and Roy out in the open.
Like what was the purpose? What point did it serve?
Why is almost every other character dubbed, “what point does it serve?”

Marth has had a mainline game where he spoke English and multiple cameos/spin-offs where he also speaks English. He deserves the dub.

Roy on the other hand has only spoke English in Heroes, so he might not be as much as a priority. There’s still 5 months left and dubbing can be done late, Marth just had his first since he’s one of the showcase characters.

Cloud’s VA had union issues.

D

Deleted member

I hope that for the next Smash amiibos we'll get ones for alt characters as well.

Like female Robin, Alph, the Koopalings, classic Wario, etc.

And also individual amiibos working for :ultpokemontrainer: of Squirtle, Ivysaur, Male and Female PKMN Trainers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I quite literally need this since they dubbed Marth for this game. I can't stand not-Japanese Marth, I just can't.
“No, that would not do. Today is a momentous day for my kingdom and my people. I must celebrate with them now, not later. Anything else would be a disservice to those who died to save Altea. I am a prince before I am a son or a brother. Come, Malledus. Let us go greet my people.”
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"Minna miteite kure."

Japan can keep Japanese Marth.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm hoping every character in Ultimate gets new voice clips. It would piss me off if certain characters STILL had their ****ing Brawl voices. I mean. Why???

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm hoping every character in Ultimate gets new voice clips. It would piss me off if certain characters STILL had their ****ing Brawl voices. I mean. Why???
Yoshi still has his voice clips from SMASH 64!!! (which were also the voice clips from Yoshi's Story) And some of those clips were taken out in Smash 4. Kazumi Totaka has rerecorded voice lines for Yoshi in other games before, so I don't know why they insist on doing nothing here...

Roberk

Smash Champion
I’ve noticed that downloadable dual audio is quite common for first party Switch titles already. I know at least that FE Warriors and XC2 has it, does anybody know about stuff like Hyrule Warriors or other first parties?

Hopefully Smash can keep up the trend because some of the Japanese voices are really iconic. I want English Marth, but I also want the option to listen to Japanese Marth.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
“No, that would not do. Today is a momentous day for my kingdom and my people. I must celebrate with them now, not later. Anything else would be a disservice to those who died to save Altea. I am a prince before I am a son or a brother. Come, Malledus. Let us go greet my people.”
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"Minna miteite kure."

In a nutshell:

It's especially this when foreign voices get dubs.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"Minna miteite kure."

Those sure are equivalents! I'm sure Marth says that full line unedited in Smash Bros and not the same thing he does in Japanese but translated.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Those sure are equivalents! I'm sure Marth says that full line unedited in Smash Bros and not the same thing he does in Japanese but translated.
No he doesn't say that, that was just a line he grabbed from the DS remake I believe.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Are you sure. Those voice clips sound different from Yoshi Story
Yoshi still has his voice clips from SMASH 64!!! (which were also the voice clips from Yoshi's Story) And some of those clips were taken out in Smash 4. Kazumi Totaka has rerecorded voice lines for Yoshi in other games before, so I don't know why they insist on doing nothing here...
Are you sure. Those voice clips sound different from Yoshi Story and even Smash 64.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
And age is how all Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem ships are able to be a thing

you leave Death Battle out of this

Yoshi and Birdo

But Dark Pit only loves himself...and Shadow’s edginess
Boshi x Birdo*

While you're not wrong regarding Shadow, I'm ngl, Pit x Dark Pit kind of annoys me.

Kind of like how the Sonic x Fox ship is really popular for some reason.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My point is, the less people view Marth solely as "Nintendo's effeminate J-Pop foreign exchange student," the better.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
No he doesn't say that, that was just a line he grabbed from the DS remake I believe.
I'm aware, I was being sarcastic. Marth just says "Keep your eyes open" which is roughly the same as "Minna miteitekure", so that post made no sense at all. It's just preference, I won't die if I'm only able to listen to him in English but I'd be cool with having the option for same ol' Marth

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Are you sure. Those voice clips sound different from Yoshi Story and even Smash 64.
I'm sure of it. The Yoshi's Story voice clips were the only ones Totaka recorded until Super Mario Galaxy 2 over a decade later. In Smash they still kept the old voice clips and even removed his voice for the Yoshi Bomb.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My point is, the less people view Marth solely as "Nintendo's effeminate J-Pop foreign exchange student," the better.
I'm pretty sure people don't like the voice because of how much deeper than it is in the original.
I mean even the OVA dub has him pretty light.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
This isn't really 2001 anymore, people have full access to a plethora of... different Marth. But I'm not against his dub, I just vastly prefer the japanese one and it would be nice to have the option!

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Does every character really need a new voice?

I feel like characters like Toon Link, Jigglypuff, Lucas, and Ness are fine as is.

Furthermore, the majority of characters in Smash either already don't use voice clips from Brawl, or just don't have voices at all, so I don't think they need changes either.

Sure, new voice clips would be cool, but it's not that big a deal if some characters don't get them.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
New Roster. This one entertains the possibility of semi-clones and mah boi Ninten. (78-82 Characters)
This is my alternate one: https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-ultimate-discussion.434391/page-1858

View attachment 152604
There are ten original fighters here and four Echo Fighters. This roster officially has newcomers for Super Mario, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, and Metroid. My prediction is that Bowser, Inkling, and Ridley will get eight additional alts for Dry Bowser, Octoling, and Meta Ridley.

Dixie Kong, Dark Samus, and Rex are not echoes, but there share a lot of similarities with Diddy Kong, Samus, and Shulk including some moves. Despite this, they are still very unique, especially Rex. All of his specials are original, but his smash attacks resemble Shulk's.

Original (10):
  • King K. Rool
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ridley
  • Dark Samus
  • Mimikyu
  • Rex
  • Inkling
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Excitebike
  • Simon
Echo Fighters (4):
  • Daisy
  • Impa
  • Hilda
  • Ninten
I don't know why it's bothering me that Mimikyu's face is cut off on the bottom in that icon.

These are all of the past stage that have not been revealed (credits to ElemtrikDynomite on Reddit for this). Considering how not all of these may come back, which stages would you all like to see return (31 stages are here).
Stages I see as MUST HAVES:
Fountain of Dreams
Brinstar Depths
Wolly World
Pac-Maze

Stages I want to see return (in addition to the 4 above):
Peach's Castle
Pokefloats
Hanenbow
Rainbow Road
Dream Land

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I’m looking back at everyone’s predictions, and so far most of the ones I see don’t have new Nintendo IPs, and instead characters from already existing ones aside from Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven, sometimes.

I’m hoping we get more new Nintendo IPS represented with characters aside from those, but since there’s going to be less than last time I can see why most of the newcomers are from existing or new third party series since they’re one of the most popular ones.
I'm telling ya'll that we're sleeping on my boy Chibi-Robo.
  • Nintendo IP previously unrepresented in Smash? Check.
  • Relevancy around the time the roster was decided? Chibi-Robo Ziplash. Check.
  • Moderate popularity in the ballot? Check.
  • Moveset potential? Check (Anything Mcleodgaming can do Sakurai can do better)
He's perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom