• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Just noticed something on Luigi's page:

His "L" on his cap is still green in his Waluigi alt.
That's because Waluigi was going to get in but then Luigi exterminated him and made a fake version of him a assist trophy. That hat on Luigi is the real Waluigi's, he took it and plastered his L on it as a sign of his ultimate victory, it's why Wario is fighting Luigi, he's avenging Waluigi, it's definitely the most emotional fight of the story mode.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There's always gonna be new fire emblem characters, xenoblade characters, pokemon characters. And as Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby etc get new games they'll have new characters to go along with them. I don't think sakurai should hold back for the sake of saving characters for future instalments that may not even happen
Aside from maybe Pokemon, would people freak out as much over a new FE or Xenoblade character than they would with Ridley or K. Rool? Probably not.

There's a difference between adding a character because it's relevant and adding a character because it extremely popular. If we exhaust all of our popular characters at once, then the fanbase won't be as involved as it was with the previous game. Why? Because they've already got all of the characters they truly cared about.

And as for other popular franchises getting new characters, that's not a guarantee. Sakurai shouldn't automatically assume that franchises will have new popular characters to choose from by the time a new Smash game starts development. The last major recurring Mario character to get added to the series was Rosalina, and that was over ten years ago. Two Smash games later and we still don't have anyone new.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A live action/CGI Pikmin movie. Olimar is played by Mark Ruffalo.
Finally, Reggie's "I feel like a purple Pikmin" comment has come to fruition.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Nintendo are starting a new "Nintendo Cinematic Universe".

Phase 1 will start with the first movie: Donkey Kong, the titular Antagonist is played by Andy Serkis.
Punch-Out
Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong II
: Donkey Kong Jr.
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Donkey Kong III: A World-Spanning Kidnapping.
Kid Icarus
Super Mario Bros.
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light
Mother
Star Fox
The Legend of Zelda II: Triforce of the Gods
Kirby of the Stars
Mother II: The War Against Giygas
F-Zero
Pokémon
Donkey Kong IV: Donkey Kong Country
The Legend of Zelda III: Ocarina of Time
Super Mario Bros. II: Super Mario World
The final film of Phase 1 is Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The last major recurring Mario character to get added to the series was Rosalina, and that was over ten years ago. Two Smash games later and we still don't have anyone new.
Wouldn't Bowser Jr technically be the last major Mario character to join Smash (though of course I can tell you’re basing this on Mario game debut, but Smash wise...junior)?...

...then Captain Toad

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
And this is why I think we need those relevant but not highly requested characters to flesh out the roster. If we add Ridley, K. Rool, Geno, Waluigi, Bandana Dee and every other popular character in Ultimate, who else would there be to add for Smash 6? Nintendo can't create new successful franchises like Splatoon at the same rate Smash games are being produced, and the number of older characters is dwindling fast. The hype for characters will continue to decrease unless Sakurai purposely saves a few for future installments.

Three things on that note:

first off we didnt get Waluigi, very similarly we MIGHT not get toad/captain toad (sort of deconfirmed but tentative as "captain" toad is still possible, im still holding out some hope) who are both popular characters for smash. I could certainly see us getting K Rool and not Dixie or the other way around. ARMS is newer and popular so is xenoblade2 so there are newer franchises to pull from if those dont become DLC characters this time around, pokemon always has fresh faces as well, so i think this is underestimating how many "newer" characters nintendo could pull from. theres also plenty of characters that are requested and sorta becoming almost like retro reps for future smash games because they missed the mark when their games were prominent and theres other characters that have been requested for a while who simply became assist trophies or something else who could be upgraded (isaac/krystal/chibi robo those type of requests) so theres still characters there to pull from though besides isaac most have less of a fan demand these days admittedly. Third party characters are always very hype and that leaves plenty of "hype" characters left. So I think although we might get some heavily fan requested characters this time (K Rool/Ashley/Waddle Dee/Geno etc...) it doesnt leave smash completely empty of other worthy and fan requested fighters to do that, and to purposely hold back the highly requested characters for smash ULTIMATE, especially after having a fan ballot, seems foolish to me.

2nd This is smash ULTIMATE and I honestly believe we may not get a smash next time that just adds more characters/stages etc... the next smash is likely to be very very different after this ones roster (with DLC) lands us at a very high number of fighters. this might honestly be the last one, next time it might be smash racing OR nintendos next new hypothetical virtual reality console has like half the roster of old smash games but its VR or some other unforeseeable future technology that justifies changing smash completely and cutting the roster down.

3rd IF we do just get another traditional smash game after ultimate (which even then i think will be a long ways off) its likely the "everyone is here" returning all vets to smash becomes the new standard going forward, and thus I wouldn't expect a ton of characters being added each iteration... so having say waluigi/captain toad/cranky kong/two third parties/new pokemon/new IP/upgraded assist trophy character... might be around enough... add in a little less expected character plus an echo or two, you could have a good roster. The biggest hype might not be from nintendo that next time. might be banjo kazooie crash or sora or something as that games "ridley", but i'd say megaman was the huge hype reveal for smash 4 so not totally outside of whats expected for the "hype" to come from a third party character.

basically I just think theres enough good reasons to treat this game as the "ultimate" final smash game while not worrying about what the next smash could have, theres always going to be plenty of hype characters left.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Since Illumination is making the Super Mario movie...

Gru confirmed for Smash Bros anyone?

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Untitled design (22).jpg

Man I'm digging Wario's new alt. (I made this myself and I'm not sure if I'm proud or sad.)
TKOWL TKOWL I figure you might like this xD

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have this sudden gut feeling today that Phoenix Wright will be an Assist Trophy, in the same vein as Bomberman. I am not sure why I strongly feel this way, but I think it is probably the best outcome for possible Ace Attorney content in Smash.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Regarding the saving characters for the next Smash talk from earlier. We have no idea what the next Smash will be like. It could very well be a reboot that at least halves the roster we have now at least base game wise. So it could very well be the last chance for some potential newcomers for a long time or even for some of the returning veterans that may not have much of a future. The focus of this game really feels like some sort of pinnacle Sakurai is reaching with returning every character from the past games plus some fan favorite requests that whether or not Sakurai is still there for whenever the next Smash comes may likely never be able to repeat the same feat.

So not trying to put some doom and gloom on this speculation period, but for many characters it could be their last shot with a roster being this huge. And while we likely won't have to worry about it until a long time from now, the next Smash will be full of uncertainty. We cannot say for certain that a character may be saved for the next one this time around.

I know it feels way, way, waaaaaaay too early to talk about the next Smash after Ultimate. But I do get the feeling Ultimate is this big bubble where every past character comes back for at least one last hurrah, before the next Smash pops it just because going beyond Ultimate's size would be very unsustainable.

blackghost

Smash Champion

Phase 1 will start with the first movie: Donkey Kong, the titular Antagonist is played by Andy Serkis.
Punch-Out
Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong II
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Kid Icarus
Super Mario Bros.
Mother
Star Fox
Kirby of the Stars
F-Zero
Pokémon
I would rather get a fire emblem HBO series.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I have this sudden gut feeling today that Phoenix Wright will be an Assist Trophy, in the same vein as Bomberman. I am not sure why I strongly feel this way, but I think it is probably the best outcome for possible Ace Attorney content in Smash.
I wouldn't mind Nick as an Assist Trophy, I mean, he can be playable (as MvC3 has proven), but there's so much competition.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Punch-Out
Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong II
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Kid Icarus
Super Mario Bros.
Mother
Star Fox
Kirby of the Stars
F-Zero
Pokémon
...maybe you should make this a thread.

Where is my Dr. Mario hospital drama?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I've been away for a while
But I'm back to kick some butt at Wild Canyon

As for the "announcement", the consensus is that we aren't getting one. People are just injecting false hope.

I do hope we get something this month, at least.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I legitimately feel Yu Narukami is a legitimate possibility, Persona 4 is one of the most popular JRPGs of all time, and for a game so prolific it would actually make a lot of sense for his inclusion, especially since we already have multiple characters already from SEGA (Although Arle is still best pick I admit), for his moveset he could use his moves from the Arena series, and I imagine the use of a Persona would make him very unique.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Sakurai can't keep adding and adding third-parties to Smash without costs and complications completely overwhelming him. We already have five companies involved in Smash. Imagine how difficult it would be to juggle seven or eight companies with over 15 third-party characters.

Third-parties might save Sakurai from worrying about one or two spots on the roster, but he could never depend on them the same way he could with Nintendo characters. If he wants to flesh out the roster, he'll have to work with what he's got.

Will we though? Most of the iconic Nintendo franchises stick with the same core cast in every game. Can we safely say that we'll have plenty of newcomers to choose from if we add all of the popular characters at once? And as for new IPs, Nintendo usually creates about one or two new successful IPs with every new console. Can we safely say we'll get enough new IPs to fill up ten or more spots on the roster?

I can understand why Sakurai would want to be conservative, especially after making Brawl's roster. Most of the iconic A-list characters are already in Smash, and a majority of the options we have left would be considered bottom of the barrel in comparison. Instead of wasting everything at once, I think it would be wise to put a small limititation on how many highly requested characters get into one Smash game.
I didn't say anything about keeping all the third parties forever. I was responding to the "Nintendo can't pump out new franchises fast enough" comment.

They don't have to worry about it so much when there will always be third parties to consider.

I'd imagine the series will do some serious "Spring cleaning" with the roster next game. We aren't ever going back to just twelve though.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I legitimately feel Yu Narukami is a legitimate possibility, Persona 4 is one of the most popular JRPGs of all time, and for a game so prolific it would actually make a lot of sense for his inclusion, especially since we already have multiple characters already from SEGA (Although Arle is still best pick I admit), for his moveset he could use his moves from the Arena series, and I imagine the use of a Persona would make him very unique.
Joker might make more sense. He's recent, his game sold more and he uses a more unique weapon. Though any Persona character would make me scream in joy.

Tomorrow's preview:

Snake: What's so special about her that she gets to bring pistols and I'm just stuck with explosives and CQC?

Next up: :ultbayonetta:
Poor Snake, stuck with mines, grenades and missiles.

Hint: Use weapons you can't buy in stores.

Last edited:

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
"But if we keep adding more popular characters to Super Smash Bros., it would later end up eating up the contents itself, and lessen everyone’s surprises. If we were to have 100 fighters in a Super Smash Bros. game and then added the 101st fighter to it, I don’t think it would ever generate as much hype as now. That’s why I think this is the best time to draw the line". - Sakurai on DLC
Source? I actually can't imagine (translated) Sakurai saying anything about generating hype. It's English slang. Excitement, enthusiasm, sure, but hype?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
On the topic of saving characters for the next game...When are we getting another Smash?

Not only is this the second year of a, no pun-intended, "Smash hit" console, but this game is based on packing in as much content as possible. It's being designed with longevity in mind considering the focus on solid, competitively viable gameplay. There are more Assist Trophies than ever. Every character in the series is back. A lot of stages are returning when they hadn't before.

In addition, this is the 2nd (technically 3rd) straight Smash game that Sakurai has worked on without being on another project. That's if you count Wii U and 3DS as two separate games.

Now, I can't say this with total certainty but it seems to me that this game is meant for the long haul. This isn't really meant to be replaced with a true successor for some time. Unless, of course, they're just going to try and reboot Smash (bad idea in my humble opinion).

If the Switch, as a console, has a healthy lifespan, we're not going to see a new Smash for a loooooooong time. It will be at least until there's a new version or successor to the Switch. In between this Smash and the next, we could absolutely see ARMS 2 + 3, a few more new IP, another Xenoblade, another Generation or two of Pokemon, etc... There is plenty that would happen in between this Smash and the next.

Are they going to add literally every character that makes sense to be added right now? Eh, I'd be surprised if that happened. However, make no mistake, I cannot see how DLC wouldn't be implemented for this game in the form of Spring Man at the very least. In terms of "series representation" in the forms of the characters themselves, DLC will be the perfect way to tie up any loose ends that characters in between the project plan and now are a part of.

After that, when we have newer games or newer series, reserve those characters for the next Smash. It is clear that Ultimate is meant to be a focus for Nintendo for an extended period of time after release. I wouldn't even be surprised to see a yearly Invitational at E3 considering the emphasis they not only placed on the event itself, but the coverage of competitive techniques in the Direct as well as some of the gameplay footage from the Treehouse.

To close, any remaining characters after this game are simply not going to stack up to any veteran. Ridley definitely got a pop out of fans with his reveal, but the true cheers in a ton of reaction videos (such as the one in NYC) came from the returning veterans like Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer, and Snake. There's a value and focus on veterans and Smash history. Because of this, I personally feel Smash is going to be on an extended hiatus. Yes, it's a money maker and it might not make complete sense to not release a new Smash, but this is the biggest one yet and for good reason.

This game will continue to make Smash history in a big way. They're very likely going to go all out, or at least "as all-out as they can".

That's my humble opinion anyway.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
But I'm back to kick some butt at Wild Canyon

As for the "announcement", the consensus is that we aren't getting one. People are just injecting false hope.

I do hope we get something this month, at least.
Until we hear (well, read) "We are having an annoucement at [time:date], stay tuned!" directly from Nintendo, we shouldn't expect anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom