• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That Ridley stuff was total bull****. Sakurai should've announced him as a Stage Hazard the second after posting that PotD. It's like he thought that players would still be happy so long as Ridley showed up in some form period.

"Look, guys! If you attack him the most, Ridley will join your side! That's just as cool as if he were playable, right? Cuz he's not! :D"

The Ashley video I don't understand. Did Sakurai not say she was an Assist Trophy at first? It sucks that she wasn't playable, but people's reactions to it seemed a little over-the-top.
True, look how happy Isaac's fans are because he's not in the game as an unplayable character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If it doesn't fool fans of a franchise that has actual plot like the MCU, why would it work for Smash?
Mario cannot die, fool.
Ridley sent him and Mega Man to the Shadow Realm.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Please actually try to contribute meaningfully to the conversation, even starting your own points.
Waluigi

Goku

Master Chief

Believe it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That Ridley stuff was total bull****. Sakurai should've announced him as a Stage Hazard the second after posting that PotD. It's like he thought that players would still be happy so long as Ridley showed up in some form period.

"Look, guys! If you attack him the most, Ridley will join your side! That's just as cool as if he were playable, right? Cuz he's not! :D"

The Ashley video I don't understand. Did Sakurai not say she was an Assist Trophy at first? It sucks that she wasn't playable, but people's reactions to it seemed a little over-the-top.
Pyrosphere was shown August 2013, and we had to wait until November 2014 for a final confirmation of Ridley's role, I remember we celebrated Pyrosphere's 1 year anniversary in the Ridley thread lol.

Of course the Smash Direct shadow tease was what should have been considered the end, but I still see no reason for why they weren't more straightforward about it, with literally everything else Sakurai came out and definitively shut down all hope for other non-playable characters that were shown, even taking to Twitter at times to make sure there were no misunderstandings, and surely they would have seen the confusion amongst the Ridley fanbase that was going on for a long long time, that inconsistent approach was part of what created that confusion. I'm not sure what they think they gained from keeping him a "secret" for so long, but it most certainly wasn't the right thing to do.

I don't care an awful lot about it anymore since Ridley is in now, but I was super butthurt about it the following years. I'll say it again, thank god for the speculation period being so short this time.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
We got another blog update:

Today's Item
Pokémon Alolan Raichu
He rides his tail and rushes the enemy. Since he moves freely around the stage, Alolan Racihu may be a bit difficult to dodge.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We got another blog update:

Today's Item
Pokémon Alolan Raichu
He rides his tail and rushes the enemy. Since he moves freely around the stage, Alolan Racihu may be a bit difficult to dodge.
So he's just a slower-moving replacement of the old Super Sonic final smash?

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If it doesn't fool fans of a franchise that has actual plot like the MCU, why would it work for Smash?
There's no guarantee we'll get another Smash game, that's why. Plus, instead of ending it with a cliffhanger, you just end it with an 8-way free for all between the original 8.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Today's Item
Pokémon Alolan Raichu

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Today's Item
Pokémon Alolan Raichu

That moment when you realize that this is Raichu's first physical appearance in a Smash game. And It's the Alolan one...

Poor thing never even got a sticker back in Brawl.

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
So I am bored and is going to do 2 characters periodically (a day maybe) detailing changes from Smash 4 ...... for you casuals KeK.

:ultcloud: Cloud - > [NERFED] [Cloud overall will not be as oppressive as he was in Smash 4]
  1. Uair now only hits opponents in the air (hitbox has been decreased)
  2. Limit now only lasts for 15 seconds and then goes away if not used.
  3. Nair range has been reduced; nerfing Cloud's reach
  4. Limit Cross-Slash knockback power has been decreased
  5. Down Aerial has more ending lag
  6. Cloud now grabs the ledge at any point during Climhazzard second hit.
:ultlink: Link - > [BUFFED] [Link has been moderately re-worked in terms of game-play]
  1. Link's Jump-Squat (time it takes to jump) has been significantly reduced from 7Frames -> 3Frames
  2. Remote Bombs can be detonated manually and has considerable knockback at higher percents; allowing for unique follow-ups
  3. Link's range has been improved
  4. Link aerials has less landing lag.
  5. Arrows can now be picked up and thrown or used to have 2 arrows fired from his bow dealing more damage.
  6. Dash and Jump height has been improved; Link is overall faster.
  7. Link can now use his double jump if hit during his Spin Attack
  8. Grab is now standardized but in return, Link no longer has a tether
  9. Link no longer has a tether recovery, therefor reducing his ease in recovering and forcing him to damage himself with Z-drop bomb as the only alternative.
  10. Gale Boomerang is replaced with a normal boomerang
Characters discussed so far [:ultsheik::ultpikachu::ultganondorf::ultike::ultlittlemac::ultcloud::ultlink:]

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
tbh I hope there's no DK characters except maybe Cranky at most
I highly doubt there will be no DK newcomer(s). DK not having enough characters was probably the biggest complaint about Smash 4's roster and we know they are listening to complaints because they've added stuff like the stage hazard toggle and battlefield versions of stages.

King K. Rool and a Dixie semi-clone is my bet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Did I miss something? Did you make a fake leak that got reported on or something?
I added Bubsy into the IMDB page for Smash Ultimate. I expected some fools to fall for it, but I did not expect it to be covered in a Yotube video.
I don't mean to brag but this is an absolute ****ing legend.

This is legit my greatest accomplishment

1531305140180.jpeg

tbh I hope there's no DK characters except maybe Cranky at most
That's nice dear.

I highly doubt there will be no DK newcomer(s). DK not having enough characters was probably the biggest complaint about Smash 4's roster and we know they are listening to complaints because they've added stuff like the stage hazard toggle and battlefield versions of stages.

King K. Rool and a Dixie semi-clone is my bet.
I have an eerie feeling we won't get K.Rool as a playable fighter....

Sure it'll be frustrating but i can cop no K.Rool and Dixie, as long as DK gets some love in terms of overall, diverse content and not get shafted. Pls no 1024th remix of Jungle Hijinx, so many amazing tunes and atmospheres in the Trilogy to pick from. So many options with assist trophies as well.

D

Deleted member

You should've given this info to Marcus Sellars on twitter. That guy believes everything.
Maybe I'll try to do that too at some point.
Also, there's another video that covers my "leak":
This guy also has 4.7K subs, which means it's probably gonna get a lot of publicity. :'^)

D

Deleted member

Today's Item
Pokémon Alolan Raichu

Hmm.

I dislike to say this, but I'm kinda concerned on its size.

Like, it's supposed to be bigger than Pikachu, and it's barely bigger than Pichu here.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
omg, that's hilarious. It even got a little circulation on reddit.
Pls no 1024th remix of Jungle Hijinx, so many amazing tunes and atmospheres in the Trilogy to pick from.
Agreed. And unfortunately, this can be said about a lot of series... Nintendo always picks the most basic environments for stages and music like the starting area featured in promo art to represent a game. For example, why Guar Plains and not a more beautiful and unique location in Xenoblade like Eryth Sea, Satorl Marsh or Frontier Village?

Eryth Sea from Xenoblade Chronicles (Full Image)

Instead, we keep getting basic World 1 stages like Guar Plain; two stages with Whispy Woods; multiple Mushroom Kingdoms, 3D Land and Golden Plains; two Mario Circuits; two green hill Sonic stages; and a multiple DK Jungle stages.
I know some of these are the most well known areas from each franchise, but please Nintendo, don't double down. Or triple down. Or quadruple down, in the case of Donkey Kong and Mario.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Hmm.

I dislike to say this, but I'm kinda concerned on its size.

Like, it's supposed to be bigger than Pikachu, and it's barely bigger than Pichu here.
Pokémon sizes are anything but consistent in Smash. None of the Pokémon are the correct scale with the rest of the cast not within the Pokémon series

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Today's Item
Pokémon Alolan Raichu

I am not a fan of an official source using "he" when referring to a generic Pokémon with no specified gender. It's sort of ok when random fans do it, but it lacks professionalism.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
omg, that's hilarious. It even got a little circulation on reddit.
Agreed. And unfortunately, this can be said about a lot of series... Nintendo always picks the most basic environments like the starting area featured in promo art to represent a game. For example, why Guar Plains and not a more beautiful and unique location in Xenoblade like Eryth Sea, Satorl Marsh or Frontier Village?

Eryth Sea from Xenoblade Chronicles

Instead, we keep getting basic World 1 stages like Guar Plain; two stages with Whispy Woods; multiple Mushroom Kingdoms, 3D Land and Golden Plains, two Mario Circuits; two green hill Sonic stages and a multiple DK Jungle stages.
I know some of these are the most well known areas from each franchise, but please Nintendo, don't double down. Or triple down. Or quadruple down, in the case of Donkey Kong and Mario.
Yoshi has 5 stages and literally EVERY one of them represents the first stage of each game, even the one that's not from a Yoshi game. I want something different from the series.

Also, I'm up for a Mechonis stage like the Hidden Village or Sword Valley...

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Let's not forget every DK stage is in the jungle.

So many of these series have so much to offer and yet we get such basic things. All the Star Fox stges take place on a flying ship. 4 of them are on the Great Fox!

Last edited:

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
Yoshi has 5 stages and literally EVERY one of them represents the first stage of each game, even the one that's not from a Yoshi game. I want something different from the series.

Also, I'm up for a Mechonis stage like the Hidden Village or Sword Valley...
Agreed! I've been hoping for a cave level stage from Yoshi's Island for the longest time. Always loved the music for caves in the original SNES game, and the visual style is beautiful. And even if they don't go for that, there's still a plethora of stages to choose from ranging from Yoshi's Story stages like maybe Tower Climb or any unique locale from Yoshi's Island DS. Maybe even a castle stage that incorporates a boss as a stage hazard!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I am not a fan of an official source using "he" when referring to a generic Pokémon with no specified gender. It's sort of ok when random fans do it, but it lacks professionalism.
Correct me if I'm wrong but being fair, Isn't Raichu one of the Pokemon that have gender differences? At least I know the Kantonian one does...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The lack of gender specific pronouns for certain Pokemon is one of my biggest gripes with Smash, especially when they aren't used with Lucario and Mewtwo.

"Lucario can manipulate aura through its palms."
"Mewtwo's attacks are extremely powerful. A hit from its Shadow Ball can be devastating."

Both of these Pokemon have gruff masculine voices. Is there really a need to avoid using "he" and "him" when both of these guys are obviously intended to be male? I wonder how long it'll be before someone tries to point out Mewtwo is genderless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom