• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Would that make Falcon unpopular over there? Or does his whole flamboyant, boastful, super sentai vibes overshadow that?
No clue, but the series evokes Western superhero comic stylings anyways.

What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where Lloyd Irving is confirmed to be playable in Ultimate?
"Neat, but I'd much rather see Heihachi or Klonoa."

Simon getting in because of the "influence" of Captain N and its sheer existence is obviously a dumb joke that isn't mean't to take it seriously; I respect Simon as an NES icon, and hopefully Sakurai uses his classic blonde barbarian look of the old Castlevania titles (1, 2, 3 & 4) over the red haired one in my opinion(Similar to how he used Pac-Man's classic design over the new look, which is just eh.)
Wasn't Pac-Man's just used in Ghostly Adventures?

Besides, we could have both for Simon.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Simon getting in because of the "influence" of Captain N and its sheer existence is obviously a dumb joke that isn't mean't to take it seriously; I respect Simon as an NES icon, and hopefully Sakurai uses his classic blonde barbarian look of the old Castlevania titles (1, 2, 3 & 4) over the red haired one in my opinion(Similar to how he used Pac-Man's classic design over the new look, which is just eh.)
Is that Pac design still being used, even with all the hate it has?

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I'm referring to the part "if they were to pick an indie rep" which I don't really see them going down the line of thought of "Guys, we need an indie character!" Indie characters are a bit more than just that and aren't an inherently set company. If we were to get, say, Reimu, it wouldn't be because "let's put an Indie character" but it'd be because, say, ZUN decides to port his games over to the Switch or something else that starts it.

trust me I'm right there with you on Shovel Knight standing no shot in heck, and I don't think anyone's contact's are going to mean much (unlike lol snake in Brawl) but it's impossible to compare one third-party to another practically most of the time.
I was using "Indie rep" because the comparison was made to Sans. I consider the entire idea of an indie rep stupid. I have a distaste for the "rep" mentality in general.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Lloyd Irving would actually be an awesome character in Smash. I’d be super excited to see him!

I think at this point i’m going to be excited about any newcomer announcement, but considering i’ve played Tales of Symphonia i’d be extra happy to see him.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
:ultsheik: needles confirmed setting off :ultridley::neutral-B self-damage in Mew2King vs Wizzrobe video.

My main comes on top again :D.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I was using "Indie rep" because the comparison was made to Sans. I consider the entire idea of indie rep stupid. I have a distaste for the "rep" mentality in general.
Oh, gotcha. The post after mine I completely disregarded

"I have distaste for the Rep mentality" We're not so different, you and I.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Lloyd Irving would actually be an awesome character in Smash. I’d be super excited to see him!

I think at this point i’m going to be excited about any newcomer announcement, but considering i’ve played Tales of Symphonia i’d be extra happy to see him.
would you even get hyped for chronobound as a newcomer

#memes

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Just looked up what Reimu is...It's a Waifu...great.
A Waifu 3rd Party...What fun
Um, you have Midna as your avi. You know there are people who consider Midna their Waifu right? Literally any character can be a Waifu or Husbando theres really no need to hate, lmao.

Last edited:

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
So, i have a question. why does everyone like Melee so much? i just never got it.
I believe you have missed out on the game that changed Smash in a way that is big; really big, period; to put it this way;

It had a 13 month development which is just, wow, incredibly short for such an ambitious game like Smash Bros at the time; at the time when Smash Bros on the N64 was out.

The game play was refined in a way that the game is still in tournaments to this very day; mostly due to the techniques like wavedashing, etc.

Content; while not as grand as its current installments, is still incredible, especially with the inclusion of trophies and game modes, (Super Sudden Death being my absolute favorite)

Music still holds up to this day, it has one of the best music menus I've heard in my life. Hear some tracks like Corneria & Big Blue, and you'll know what I mean.

as a guy who played Melee when I was really little, it basically changed my life with how incredible the game is, despite its flaws like the dated single player modes- Adventure Mode is rather decent, but All Stars, eh. Honestly, I can go on and on how Melee is the best in the series to the point I'm actually bias towards it. lol.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Oh, gotcha. The post after mine I completely disregarded

"I have distaste for the Rep mentality" We're not so different, you and I.
I can honestly agree. I'm new to the smash community, i usually just played by myself and didn't chat with many fans. so i didn't know all the terms if you will, and i just threw "reps" around not knowing what it actually meant.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I was using "Indie rep" because the comparison was made to Sans. I consider the entire idea of an indie rep stupid. I have a distaste for the "rep" mentality in general.
This. PLEASE more of this.

The rep mentality more or less disregards the fact that it’s a video game. It also seems to be used differently depending on the person. While series are obviously represented through the content in the game, the moveset of the character and how they work should represent the character on an individual level and not the series they come from.

Personally, I would love Shovel Knight in Smash. But I wouldn’t want him in to just “rep” something. He’d probably be super fun to play. But I do agree, Indies have a rough path to Smash.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
You know, if it turned out any of us influenced the development of Smash in any way through our crazy discussions, that'd make me very happy. XD

Also, anyone who expects Simon Belmont because of Captain N (wanting is a different story) is delusional. There's basically no chance that the Japanese branch of Nintendo, particularly Sakurai, would have ever heard of it.
I can't imagine Captain N playing a significant role in any character being chosen for Smash, but I also can't imagine a huge Nintendo trivia nerd like Sakurai hasn't even heard of it. That'd be like if you were an America who's a huge Ninja Turtles fan and didn't even know there was a Ninja Turtles anime. Hell I'm a moderate Megaman fan and I know the plot of the obscure Brazilian comic. Foreign stuff isn't that far off the radar.

Also, according to Wikipedia anyway, Captain N did run in Japan. Wasn't made there, and I'm not sure how well it did, but they got it apparently (again, according to Wikipedia, who I'm a warry of trusting without a citation).

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
No, you're basically right. With Smash 4 a lot of the character announcements lined up with releases or news:
Villager- New Leaf
Olimar- Pikmin 3
Luigi- the Year of Luigi
Sonic- Sonic Lost World
Toon Link- Wind Waker HD
Male Wii Fit: Wii Fit U
Rosalina- Playable in Mario Kart 8
Zelda- A Link Between Worlds
Dedede- Kirby Triple Deluxe
Diddy- DK Topical Cheese
Shulk- Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Duck Hunt- Duck Hunt VC release
Very late reply, but I've been keeping these reveals in mind as I wait for a certain update to hit Xenoblade 2...
Dataminers found they're adding Elma as part of the Expansion Pass as a Blade like Shulk and Fiora. Those two were revealed officially at E3 during Treehouse Live, just a day after they were confirmed to appear in Smash as veteran and final smash respectively. My guess is, if Elma's in, she'll be revealed for two games at once. XB2 & Smash are also recorded on different continents, so organizing for both jobs to be in the same recording session would make keeping the same English VA a lot easier.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
This. PLEASE more of this.

The rep mentality more or less disregards the fact that it’s a video game. It also seems to be used differently depending on the person. While series are obviously represented through the content in the game, the moveset of the character and how they work should represent the character on an individual level and not the series they come from.

Personally, I would love Shovel Knight in Smash. But I wouldn’t want him in to just “rep” something. He’d probably be super fun to play. But I do agree, Indies have a rough path to Smash.
I agree, Shovel knight would be so fun. I've been a big supporter of him since the Ballot.
And Imagine his moveset!

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So, i have a question. why does everyone like Melee so much? i just never got it.
I'm not great at explaining and Melee's not my personal favorite (I do like it though) but a lot of people like having strong mobility options that you have to work for to use (wavedashing, sort of L-cancelling) and appreciate the (usually) faster-paced gameplay that Melee provides (certain match-ups/playstyes have a way of slowing it down, which annoys some people), plus the lack of a input buffer (Smash 4 has a 10 frame input buffer iirc, might be a bit more or less) makes technical inputs more demanding, which also makes them feel more rewarding to a lot of people. It's also the Smash game a lot of people grew up with (It's my first one too lol) and it's meta and scene are veeeerrryyyy old so they have a lot of ongoing storylines for the spectators, so there's that as well.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I'm not great at explaining and Melee's not my personal favorite (I do like it though) but a lot of people like having strong mobility options that you have to work for to use (wavedashing, sort of L-cancelling) and appreciate the (usually) faster-paced gameplay that Melee provides (certain match-ups/playstyes have a way of slowing it down, which annoys some people), plus the lack of a input buffer (Smash 4 has a 10 frame input buffer iirc, might be a bit more or less) makes technical inputs more demanding, which also makes them feel more rewarding to a lot of people. It's also the Smash game a lot of people grew up with (It's my first one too lol) and it's meta and scene are veeeerrryyyy old so they have a lot of ongoing storylines for the spectators, so there's that as well.
Ah, Considering This new smash game has some of that, and so much more characters, i hope this game can be the "new melee" Just without people complaining

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
So I've been seeing a lot of people placing Mii costume characters on their rosters (I'm looking at you papagenos papagenos ) I want to see if I can change your mind.

I believe that Assist Trophy characters and Mii costume characters are actually less likely than characters who don't have any representation in Smash.

I believe when Sakurai reviews a character he looks at these attributes in this order: Does the character have longevity? Ie does their series have a future. Is the character popular and it is important that the character should be popular among multiple regions. Finally, does the character have good moveset potential that will differentiate them from the rest of the roster and expand Smash as a whole. Sure, A character can still be the weak in one area but so strong in another that they make it in.

I am starting to believe that AT and costumes were made because they were too weak in too many of these areas and therefore Sakurai didn't see them ever making it into Smash. Now this can change, for example Little Mac. at the time when he was made into an AT I believe Sakurai saw his moveset as being minimal and not able to function in Smash. More importantly though I think his lack of a future installment doomed his fate. Come to Smash 4 with him still being popular and having a new title I believe Sakurai was willing to revisit the idea. Another example would be Krystal. After the Starfox series was rebooted and her longevity was in question I believe he gave up on the idea of her as being a potential fighter and has thus resigned her into being an AT.

In terms of costumes I think it is worse. I think there is a mentality of "I will make this character a costume because this is the only way their fan will be able to play as this character" I think this holds/held particularly true for Geno, Ashley, and Takamaru. We know Sakurai has wanted Geno and Takamaru in the game but I don't think he is willing to let his bias/desire get in the way of pleasing his community/making the best game possible. Sure there are exceptions, There are always exceptions, Like some costumes may have been completely meant for promotional reasons and are not weak in the three "golden areas" and are therefore still a candidate. But for everyone else I'd recommend that we all sit back and ask why they were added.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Launch title for the GC that blew people's minds at the time, and due to the internet being less present had a true sens of "you never know what was gonna happen next" feel to it.
Beat Classic with defaults: whoa, who is this blue haired guy?
Play for 20 hours: where did Mewtwo come from???
Adventure: so I just beat Bow-whoa what the He-
And so forth. The only major games at the time that evoked a similar feeling were things like Kingdom Hearts because of how insane the crossover was at the time and Grand Theft Auto III with just HOW much one could get away with. Fun times.

-A user who now feels very old after typing this

Zeox

Smash Champion
Just looked up what Reimu is...It's a Waifu...great.
A Waifu 3rd Party...What fun
She is not a waifu, she is just a kid, leave her alone.
But honestly, if Reimu was in smash, i wouldn't complain, not because of her, but because of the games she represents.
The most brutal, cruel, and best bullet hell game series of all time, if you don't know touhou, I leave you this video of the most popular boss battle:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Launch title for the GC that blew people's minds at the time, and due to the internet being less present had a true sens of "you never know what was gonna happen next" feel to it.
Beat Classic with defaults: whoa, who is this blue haired guy?
Play for 20 hours: where did Mewtwo come from???
Adventure: so I just beat Bow-whoa what the He-
And so forth. The only major games at the time that evoked a similar feeling were things like Kingdom Hearts because of how insane the crossover was at the time and Grand Theft Auto III with just HOW much one could get away with. Fun times.

-A user who now feels very old after typing this
Ah i see.
Honestly i just thought it was because everyone was biased about it because it was competetive.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Question to everyone: I’ve always wanted Chrono in from the SNES classic Chrono trigger in Smash not just cause I like the idea of a swordsman with the power of lightning but Chrono Trigger music is simply amazing. Plus, a stage that travels between time eras and a possible Frog assist trophy would be pretty cool. What’s your thoughts on Chrono and how would you react to him getting in?

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Ah i see.
Honestly i just thought it was because everyone was biased about it because it was competetive.
That's the competitive side of things.

But outside of that, some can argue that Melee is where the series truly began, with the original being nothing more than a proof of concept.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
She is not a waifu, she is just a kid, leave her alone.
But honestly, if Reimu was in smash, i wouldn't complain, not because of her, but because of the games she represents.
The most brutal, cruel, and best bullet hell game series of all time, if you don't know touhou, I leave you this video of the most popular boss battle:
I didn't mean it like that, I'm not a pervert. xD

Couldn't tell if she was an adult or not because people will make adults in anime incredibly tiny.

What i meant was. "Oh. Another anime character people can make dirty art of!" (Sarcasm)
Looks like a fun game tho
So i'm kinda confused, this an indie game? I heard it was one earlier, but it looks more like a retro game, not some wannabe anime indie

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Question to everyone: I’ve always wanted this Chrono in smash not just cause I wanted a swordsman with the power of lightning but Chrono Trigger music is simply amazing. Plus, a stage that travels between time eras and a possible Frog assist trophy would be pretty cool. What’s your thoughts on Chrono and how would you react to him getting in?

Chrono would someone I'd be pretty cool with seeing. I'd laugh my ass off if he had a Goku or Gohan recolor since he's a Toriyama design. Obviously his actual recolors would probably be based on his party members.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I just want Flandre's theme in Smash. It's one of my favorite VGM and I'd love to Smash to it.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Question to everyone: I’ve always wanted this Chrono in smash not just cause I wanted a swordsman with the power of lightning but Chrono Trigger music is simply amazing. Plus, a stage that travels between time eras and a possible Frog assist trophy would be pretty cool. What’s your thoughts on Chrono and how would you react to him getting in?

I have no attachment to Crono, since I've yet to play Crono Trigger, but even I can realize that he is from a landmark game and apart of Nintendo history. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he got in, despite hardly knowing anything about the series. The music is pretty good too.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I don't know if this has been posted yet but I saw it on Reddit and it really made me laugh.

Spoilers - it's a leak!

HXIMa2lGPnBnP-qNKk6U40hMw1i79DPgUWuIHPnkQGk.png

What do you all think?

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I was in love with the game when I was younger. Los interest in it as I got older and developed a huge love for 64 again. 64 is currently my favorite. It’s old comic book, and 90s arcade like feel to it and it’s wackiness is why I love it. It also has the best gameplay and physics of any Smash and has yet to be topped imo.

I can see why people love Melee but I lost interest in it, tried getting back into it but I couldn’t. Never looked back since

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom