• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Who wouldn't pick Eggman instead of Shadow? :reverse:Reveal yourselves

Literally anyone who hasn't appeared feels assured to people, everyone's expectations are way too high.
I would choose Amy over Eggman but under Shadow (Amy is someone that not everybody would want in Smash...but Boom Amy is the ****)

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Maybe in a limited fashion because imagine the horrors that would be thrust upon For Glory!!!
I'm not asking for something like changing skin tones on human characters or gaudy neon colours. Just mainly clothing.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Additional statements from the Ballot "leaker"
Lip was #2 in Japan and consistent across NA & EU - very possible there was a problem with multiple entries from the same person, but large scale would be difficult, just looking at the raw data it appears she was consistently requested.

I am one of roughly 30 data analysts for a marketing firm that assists Nintendo, Retro Studios, Bandai Namco, Blizzard, Rareware, and a couple other big names. We handled collection of the ballot data as a team and just handed the results to a team developer at Bandai-Namco

Top 5 NA
Ridley
K. Rool
Geno
Waluigi
Sora

Top 5 EU
Banjo-Kazooie
King K. Rool
Bomberman
Blaziken
Ridley

Top 5 JPN
Ashley
Lip
Sora
Saki
Takamaru

My apologies,filtered out anyone already confirmed for Ultimate, not Smash Wii U - Wolf was heavily requested in NA, Snake was requested everywhere

Unsure of bots, probably were counted to some extent, hard to stop it - Waluigi was heavily requested in NA, but Lip had consistent support and heavy support specifically from JPN

Last edited:

Miikon

Smash Cadet
So if we're talking new color swaps, I'd be down for a purple Mega Man color. Maybe an Orange and White one based off of the Crash Bomb too, if we're rounding out to even numbers.

For Yoshi, Orange and White are the only ones missing as far as I'm concerned. But I guess Magenta and Brown exist too.
Grey and dark green Yoshi, the rest would just be too similar in colour.
Then again, we have characters like Sonic and Pacman, where the palettes only changes the tint and accessory. Really hoped they would fix them. I cant distinguish them in 8 player smash.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I've got a wild idea for you all to speculate over: What if some of the ballot winners make it in and at least one of them isn't who you think it is?
I'd be surprised if it's a wild card character I never saw coming, but I wouldn't be upset at all about them, I'd be happy if they legitimately got in because they did well on the ballot and were popular, that's almost always a good thing imo.
There's really nothing to talk about. Unless we want to re-tread the age old debates of Echo fighters, series representation, or even...Dora the Explorer.

There haven't even been any "leaks" minus the Fire Emblem one from last night. Almost two days without a real "leak." Why can't we have them evenly spaced out, so I have like one "leak" a day instead of five in one evening?

Right as I said that I found one. Discusses the supposed Ballot results.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422942597
Going to be transparent because of all the hate generated lately - below are the combined Japan EU and NA results. Does not include characters already playable as of Smash Wii U/3DS​
1. Ridley (4,743,455) - playable​
2. King K. Rool (4,644,900)​
3. Geno (3,854,112)​
4. Banjo-Kazooie (3,812,777)​
5. Lip (2,998,737)​
6. Bomberman (2,812,121) - AT​
7. Sora (2,808,654)​
8. Waluigi (2,533,312) - AT​
9. Blaziken (2,532,980)​
10. Ashley (2,184,333)​
44% of votes cast were from NA. 31% were from JPN. 18% were from the EU. 5% were N/A or "Other Region". Bayonetta placed 8th overall, was not included in the above list as she is currently playable. Shrek and Goku each received a little under 2 million votes. Harambe the dead gorilla received 400,000 votes. Any actual video game character under 1 million votes was automatically blanked out from the pivot table and were disregarded - this includes Bandana Waddle Dee (212,483 votes), Mach Rider (345,555 votes), and Cooking Mama (105,300 votes)​

It's probably fake, but Sora in the Top 10 is hype AF. If he gets into the base roster I will cry. K. Rool, Geno, Lip, Ashley, and Banjo-Kazooie round out a a near perfect roster in my opinion.
>Any actual video game character under 1 million votes was automatically blanked out from the pivot table and were disregarded - this includes Bandana Waddle Dee (212,483 votes), Mach Rider (345,555 votes), and Cooking Mama (105,300 votes).
I will be so deesappointed if this ends up being true, I'd also take it as partially being my fault since I told everyone in the Bandana Dee groups to not cheat, and that's the only way it makes any sense to me that Blaziken and Ashley would have got more votes than him, so uh yeah, my reaction probably won't be pretty if that happens lol.

StormC

Smash Hero
Lip was #2 in Japan and consistent across NA & EU - very possible there was a problem with multiple entries from the same person, but large scale would be difficult, just looking at the raw data it appears she was consistently requested.

I am one of roughly 30 data analysts for a marketing firm that assists Nintendo, Retro Studios, Bandai Namco, Blizzard, Rareware, and a couple other big names. We handled collection of the ballot data as a team and just handed the results to a team developer at Bandai-Namco

Top 5 NA
Ridley
K. Rool
Geno
Waluigi
Sora

Top 5 EU
Banjo-Kazooie
King K. Rool
Bomberman
Blaziken
Ridley

Top 5 JPN
Ashley
Lip
Sora
Saki
Takamaru

My apologies,filtered out anyone already confirmed for Ultimate, not Smash Wii U - Wolf was heavily requested in NA, Snake was requested everywhere

Unsure of bots, probably were counted to some extent, hard to stop it - Waluigi was heavily requested in NA, but Lip had consistent support and heavy support specifically from JPN
I'm not even an Isaac supporter but I have a hard time believing he wouldn't chart in the top 5 NA. I won't even touch the Lip stuff, or... Blaziken and whatever.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Maybe in a limited fashion because imagine the horrors that would be thrust upon For Glory!!!
They could just add a client sided option that allows other players’ custom colors to not show up on your screen and look like random default colors instead. The other player would still see their own custom colors.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Seeing Lip in these ballot results leaks is getting me unusually optimistic. If Japan voted the hell out of Lip in the ballot, I would be so happy. But I do not believe this anyway.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Oh nevermind this leak is total bull****. Harambe didn't die until 2016 lol.

Also there were 1.8 million votes. No character actually got a million votes, that's more than half the total.

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
I just hope for this game we get a colour edit mode.
Imagine if it was as detailed as Rivals of Aether's.

...Come to think of it, I remember some presumably fake leak showing the existence of a color edit mode.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Top 5 NA
Ridley
K. Rool
Geno
Waluigi
Sora

Top 5 EU
Banjo-Kazooie
King K. Rool
Bomberman
Blaziken
Ridley

Top 5 JPN
Ashley
Lip
Sora
Saki
Takamaru

I smell and taste a lie

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

Top 5 NA
Ridley
K. Rool
Geno
Waluigi
Sora

Top 5 EU
Banjo-Kazooie
King K. Rool
Bomberman
Blaziken
Ridley

Top 5 JPN
Ashley
Lip
Sora
Saki
Takamaru

this reeks of /v/ messing with people

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The news of this whole Bayonetta thing comes out and now we're suddenly seeing leaks claiming to know what was on the ballot? I don't buy it.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's a bold move leaking the ballot now that people are talking about it again.

Bold, but mostly desperate.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I wonder if they'll straight out say if any future newcomers were added because of the ballot in SmUsh. We heard that Ridley was added due to 'overseas demand' on Treehouse Live, but maybe they don't want to bring attention to what led them to add a character.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Top 5 NA
Ridley
K. Rool
Geno
Waluigi
Sora

Top 5 EU
Banjo-Kazooie
King K. Rool
Bomberman
Blaziken
Ridley

Top 5 JPN
Ashley
Lip
Sora
Saki
Takamaru

Fake

Sourcegaming figured out japans most wanted is king k rool and he's not even on there

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I wonder if they'll straight out say if any future newcomers were added because of the ballot in SmUsh. We heard that Ridley was added due to 'overseas demand' on Treehouse Live, but maybe they don't want to bring attention to what led them to add a character.
Unlikely, their more likely to keep their statements vague and avoid referring the ballot directly.

StormC

Smash Hero
"We received a lot of requests all over the world for King K. Rool, so we decided to put him into Smash. Watch out for his cannonballs and crown!"

"Bandana Dee is cute and very popular, especially in Japan. Since he's the newest major Kirby character, it made sense to add him."

This is basically all I expect.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Why are we giving attention to random people who claim to be leaking stuff? Seriously, we've had hundreds and hundreds of ex-Nintendo employees, guys who know Sakurai and people who heard things from a friend of a friend. Giving them attention is just going to create more of them and all they've ever done is waste people's time.

Give it a rest and stop giving attention to fake leakers.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
There's really nothing to talk about. Unless we want to re-tread the age old debates of Echo fighters, series representation, or even...Dora the Explorer.

There haven't even been any "leaks" minus the Fire Emblem one from last night. Almost two days without a real "leak." Why can't we have them evenly spaced out, so I have like one "leak" a day instead of five in one evening?

Going to be transparent because of all the hate generated lately - below are the combined Japan EU and NA results. Does not include characters already playable as of Smash Wii U/3DS​
3. Geno (3,854,112)​
5. Lip (2,998,737)​
7. Sora (2,808,654)​
9. Blaziken (2,532,980)​
10. Ashley (2,184,333)​
44% of votes cast were from NA. 31% were from JPN. 18% were from the EU. 5% were N/A or "Other Region". Bayonetta placed 8th overall, was not included in the above list as she is currently playable. Shrek and Goku each received a little under 2 million votes. Harambe the dead gorilla received 400,000 votes. Any actual video game character under 1 million votes was automatically blanked out from the pivot table and were disregarded - this includes Bandana Waddle Dee (212,483 votes), Mach Rider (345,555 votes), and Cooking Mama (105,300 votes)​

It's probably fake, but Sora in the Top 10 is hype AF. If he gets into the base roster I will cry. K. Rool, Geno, Lip, Ashley, and Banjo-Kazooie round out a a near perfect roster in my opinion.
So, the ballot got like more than 30 million votes?

Lip and Mach Rider getting more votes than Bandana Dee?

A ballot leak just after the ballot news?

*Laughs*

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
"We received a lot of requests all over the world for King K. Rool, so we decided to put him into Smash. Watch out for his cannonballs and crown!"

"Bandana Dee is cute and very popular, especially in Japan. Since he's the newest major Kirby character, it made sense to add him."

This is basically all I expect.
You have Sakurai's way giving a speech down perfectly to a t, that's almost creepy, I can hear him saying that in my head lol.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
The news of this whole Bayonetta thing comes out and now we're suddenly seeing leaks claiming to know what was on the ballot? I don't buy it.
That's the big issue with fake leaks: something big happens and soon they all start piggybacking off of one another. It happened with Verge, it's happening with the ballot controversy, and it'll happen with the next character revealed. The system just goes like that. Wish I knew how it all worked.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's likely fake, but that "poll" was PushDustIn PushDustIn browsing 2chan and logging when a character was mentioned. That is hardly an indicator of what Japan actually wanted.
Not just 2ch, Twitter and blogs too. It's far from the most thorough resource but it gives us a good indication of general trends over there. There simply isn't a better source at this time. So take it with a grain of salt but also keep it in mind.

D

Deleted member

3. Geno (3,854,112)​
5. Lip (2,998,737)​
7. Sora (2,808,654)​
9. Blaziken (2,532,980)​
10. Ashley (2,184,333)​

Ok...as much as I would be hyped to see the Kickin' Chicken have so much support, I literally cannot believe for a second that Blaziken scored that high when people were jumping the Sceptile bandwagon hard to complete the Starter set.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I believe Sakurai has said that balancing customs moves is too much of a headache to do. Th fact they streamlined Palutena specials gives me very high reason that customs are gone unless they're going to give Palutena new customs ,and what about Pokemon Trainer, or the DLC characters of Smash 4. There's too many things that needs to be done for Sakurai to make customs a priority. IMO they're low priority this time.
Time constraints can potentially play a factor, but if the developers are putting a lot of effort into bringing back every veteran, and most of the past stages, you would think that they would also have the time to cover the extra features. Low priority or not, custom specials could've had potential if it weren't for the unlocking conditions.

Also, certain fighters do fight better with their custom special moves. Rosalina gets an actual projectile with Shooting Star Bit, and Luma Warp is less risky to use against fighters with reflectors.

Untouch

Smash Master
Half of the "ballot winners" from this "leak" were already assist trophies or bosses.
Of course I may be overestimating people, but why would people vote for characters who already are in the game?

StormC

Smash Hero
Half of the "ballot winners" from this "leak" were already assist trophies or bosses.
Of course I may be overestimating people, but why would people vote for characters who already are in the game?
If you're smart like the Ridley fans, you knew it was likely going to affect the next game, like the Japanese ballot implied.

God bless 'em.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

Top 5 NA
Ridley
K. Rool
Geno
Waluigi
Sora

Top 5 EU
Banjo-Kazooie
King K. Rool
Bomberman
Blaziken
Ridley

Top 5 JPN
Ashley
Lip
Sora
Saki
Takamaru

Wasn't it stated in the direct that Bayo was number 1 in Europe and Top 5 in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom