• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
So what all characters have been 'promoted' to playable fighters in some way in the series' history?

I think Little Mac and Charizard are the only ones that have been promoted from Assists.

Palutena and ZSS were promoted from Final Smashes.

Sheik was promoted from a moveset.

Ridley was promoted from multiple boss appearances.

Did I miss anyone?
Olimar and Villager from regular trophies, iirc.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Man this anti-Waluigi circlejerk is annoying. It's just profoundly idiotic that people are so quick to vilify all Waluigi supporters because of one guy sending Sakurai a death threat, meanwhile several Rayman supporters sent them to Artsy Omni after his leak, one of which was in Rayman's support thread, but there was no anti-Rayman sentiment after that.

It's disgusting that people pretend it's standing against death threats when in reality they're using it as a convenient scapegoat to put down a character they don't like. Pathetic, really.
Speaking as someone who does like Waluigi(he was in my top ten at least), I'm more disappointed at the fans clawing at nonsensical loopholes because we've seen this before.

We saw it countless times during Sm4sh; Ridley's shadow being the most infamous one, but also for both you and I Opossum I know there was "Well maybe Chrom/Toad will be playable as well as a move for another fighter". We got a Mii Fighter costume each and tbh, that was an okay wooden spoon prize at the time.

Frankly it's painful watching the bargaining Waluigi fans doing the same things we saw throughout Sm4sh as we can pretty much guarantee there will be no happy ending for them.

Closest they can hope for IS a Mii outfit. And it'd be great if Waluigi DOES get one. It's not the same, I know, but it's at least a wooden spoon prize and a nod that he may be considered for the next game.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I have nothing against Waluigi, but this whole ordeal has made me sick of hearing his name. I understand hoping so bad for a character you lose some of your reason, but come on. A very vocal few is almost always gonna make a majority look bad in a fanbase, because negativity is far easier to notice than positivity. It's like seeing 100 comments on a video and having your day ruined because 1 comment was negative out of 99 other positive comments.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
What they don't realise is there's a much safer "Newcomer Sea" just around the corner; unfortunately, it's the only route they've ever known.

So far, only Little Mac has successfully found this sea, but he's being a jerk about and won't tell the others.
Hey! Don't put the blame on Mac, the little guy is just following what the Doc said, nothing more.

If you want someone blame, blame Doc Louis, ***** still stealing my bike after century, the fact he didn't tell to anyone about the Newcomer Sea show that Doc Louis is actually the real main vilain of Punch Out...:4littlemac:

...That, or Mac left him on the port as a payback for stealing his bike, which mean you could be right.:4robinm:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So what all characters have been 'promoted' to playable fighters in some way in the series' history?

I think Little Mac and Charizard are the only ones that have been promoted from Assists.

Palutena and ZSS were promoted from Final Smashes.

Sheik was promoted from a moveset.

Ridley was promoted from multiple boss appearances.

Did I miss anyone?
Half the cast where promoted from trophies/stickers if that counts.

Maybe not "literally" but a lot of them where.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Bayonetta doesn't have a low learning curve. At low level yes she doesn't take a ton of skill because low level players spin the control stick and call it "SDI." At high level though Bayo requires character knowledge. Obviously she naturally is easier to do well with than, say, Zelda but she isn't braindead.

I do agree with you that she shouldn't be as oppressive as she is though.

Cloud on the other hand takes almost no effort for the reward he provides.
Yeah... I'm not even into Smash Competitive; and I feel god everytime I play as Cloud... He's such a good character; but unlike the Melee!Spacies; he doesn't need that much practice to become a decent Cloud user.

Daisy is slightly more important and didn’t need a unique moveset of her own to Smash

This can only be solved with more everything for Fire Emblem (extra character, assists, items/weapons, music, stages...and Palutena roasts)
I wouldn't mind it.

Micaiah? :3

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
We can only say this with certainty in regard to the base game.

We do not know if assist trophies can be promoted through DLC, and we shouldn't make absolutist statements indicating that we know for sure.
Can I ask a very fair question?

Why would they (Nintendo, Sakurai, and the development team), take time to make an Assist Trophy of any character, let alone Waluigi who has has had fan demand since Brawl to be playable, instead of making the character playable only to make them playable later on?

What sense does that make?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Waluigi dream is dead till possible dlc get over it

The most likely at this point is who did the best in the ballot (realiable ones) and now with the proof of bayonetta not the true winner those fan polls are looking more accurate now (sort of)

Last edited:

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Alright guys this thread has derailed and has got quite negative can we end the whole Waluigi debate with just a simple answer. He's a assist trophy right now and we will have to wait for DLC until we can discuss his chances again

Last edited:

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
How would you like to see character unlocks handled? Here's a few options but share your ideas!

1) Complete many different tasks like the old versions. Some events, some classic modes with certain characters or difficult, perfect break the targets, multi man smash etc.

2) A mode for unlocking characters. Basically you fight a random character under special circumstances and if you win, you get that character.

3) A shop where you spend coins accrued from normal gameplay.

4) A story mode like Subspace Emissary.

5) Unlock characters after play so many matches.

I'd go for option 1, I loved that in the old games like melee. Makes you try out all the different modes and character unlocks are very rewarding.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I’ll counter this with a more ridiculous claim that goes by the same logic.

If they showed all the playable characters, the Meta Ridley costume, and many other things that weren’t in the demo, does that mean they aren’t going to be in the game the way they were revealed? Of course not.

It’s not impossible. It’s just ignoring a ton of context that we were literally just shown a few weeks ago that literally says, “Waluigi is an Assist Trophy”. People are taking things that really probably don’t mean anything and applying meaning that really has no contextual backing.
That is true. then again, it was just a thought.

D

Deleted member

Man this anti-Waluigi circlejerk is annoying. It's just profoundly idiotic that people are so quick to vilify all Waluigi supporters because of one guy sending Sakurai a death threat, meanwhile several Rayman supporters sent them to Artsy Omni after his leak, one of which was in Rayman's support thread, but there was no anti-Rayman sentiment after that.

It's disgusting that people pretend it's standing against death threats when in reality they're using it as a convenient scapegoat to put down a character they don't like. Pathetic, really.
This post is also perfect.

Like it was just one guy who went too far. We should not judge Waluigi fans just because of one guy's action. There are hundreds of thousands of Waluigi fans compared to that one guy.

It is like calling an entire school evil because one kid robbed a bank or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
It's written in the sacred Smash book that, if Waluigi somehow get in as a playable character, another purple, tall/big character that have been memed by his fanbase would replace him.

So, if Waluigi become playable, you can call me a Big the Cat supporter for Smash.:ultpacman:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
How would you like to see character unlocks handled? Here's a few options but share your ideas!

1) Complete many different tasks like the old versions. Some events, some classic modes with certain characters or difficult, perfect break the targets, multi man smash etc.

2) A mode for unlocking characters. Basically you fight a random character under special circumstances and if you win, you get that character.

I'd go for option 1, I loved that in the old games like melee. Makes you try out all the different modes and character unlocks are very rewarding.
2 or 3. Melee unlocking methods for 50+ characters is silly.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
No. He's not.

Waluigi wasn't in the demo because not every assist trophy was in the demo.

That is reaching.
True, Wasn't aware of that.
Just seems kind of odd of Nintendo to not include something in a demo, already shown playable.
Once again, i still don't think Waluigi is gonna be a fighter

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Answer: All of them.

With so many characters to unlock, there'll probably be many ways to unlock them, so that you can get them all quickly and without much hassle.

Who knows though?

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
There is this deep sinking feeling that Sakurai might have added Isabelle and K.K. Slider in Ultimate's roster the more I think about his DLC Mii Costume in Smash 4. Sakurai might have thought the utilization of his guitar might make for a more interesting moveset at the time of project planning for Ultimate.

The thought internally upsets me as someone who wanted Tom Nook for a long time, but I cannot stop thinking about it. How do you feel about K.K. Slider's chances?
Mii costumes mean nothing if the model is just recycled from a smash 4 model like Isabelle, KK, Ashley and many others were. The only mii costumes that really hold any weight in that regard are Geno and K Rool

KK slider isn't happening

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I have nothing against Waluigi, but this whole ordeal has made me sick of hearing his name. I understand hoping so bad for a character you lose some of your reason, but come on. A very vocal few is almost always gonna make a majority look bad in a fanbase, because negativity is far easier to notice than positivity. It's like seeing 100 comments on a video and having your day ruined because 1 comment was negative out of 99 other positive comments.
Before Daisy was playable it was a perfect example of a vocal minority ruining the character for the majority, and against all odds she ended up being playable.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
This post is also perfect.

Like it was just one guy who went too far. We should not judge Waluigi fans just because of one guy's action. There are hundreds of thousands of Waluigi fans compared to one guy.

It is like calling an entire school evil because one kid robbed a bank or something.
Welcome to literally everything. You can see a ton of positive stuff but one negative will easily crash and burn everything. Negative things attract our attention. Even if it's less than 1%.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
No - Fire Emblem's only given us characters and a handful of stages. And Lyn's an assist, but she's the only non-character or stage in the universe. Considering representation outside of characters, Fire Emblem's actually lacking.

It's kind of funny that each franchise has as many or more stages than characters (despite the Pokémon sharing background art on the official site) save for ROB (who fits best with any of the old arcade ones) and Fire Emblem, which I think is up to three...all three they've ever had.
Two of those stages are generic and boring. Considering how important maps are to FE it's a shame all we get is Arena Ferox and two random places with random gimmicks.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Might as well ask people to stop talking about Smash Bros.
What? I want to stop talking about Waluigi so I can have a legit conversation about Smash Bros, I'd much rather focus on potential elements of the game that still have a foreseeable chance of being in than a character who has already been disconfirmed. DLC or otherwise, why are we talking about DLC? The only time I really think it's appropriate to talk about DLC right now, which presumably is something they aren't even thinking about yet, are for characters like Spring Man or Rex/Pyra who may have missed the boat.

But yeah, funny you say that because Waluigi is the one getting in the way of good Smash Bros discussions. He's an AT and I'm not sure why everyone is having such difficulty coming to terms with that, and yes this is from someone who wanted/sort of expected Waluigi to be in this game.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm thinking you need to stop with the whole "Animal Crossing is for sure going to have 2 new characters" thing.

This honestly feels like you're looking for some "void" to fill now that Tom Nook is shown to be part of Villager's Final Smash again.
K.K. is likely just going to be part of the Smashville/Town & City stages on Saturday nights like before.
Not every Mii Costume relates to a possible fighter for Ultimate. :/
Well, I already lost faith in getting two Animal Crossing characters a long time ago. I don’t think about any void nor am I feeling desperate. And I already set my final predictions just a while ago. I am just want to discuss about the possibility.

I doubt every Mii costume will be a playable character. K.K.'s got his concerts on Smashville and Town/City (which is a unique mechanic involving the internal clock, unless they do the same with Pauline on the New Donk stage), and I don't know if he's popular enough to be promoted past those. Isabelle, however, I can clearly see getting the promoton.

The thing with Nook was that he's been shunted into the back since Isabelle staged her coup of the franchise, so I'm not surprised that he's only got Villager's final smash.
I mean, K.K. is certainly an iconic Animal Crossing character. And with the ballot votes coming from many casual players, maybe he was he got a surprising number of ballot votes nearing the ballot popularity of Isabelle’s to get a DLC Mii Costume in Smash 4. But eh.. I think I am stretching it.

I think I will drop out of this K. K. Slider conversation. It is not gonna be interesting to talk about K.K. If it is going to be one-sided like when I was discussing transformations before.

KMDP

Smash Legend

Hmm... let's see...
Have the "Random Task" and "# of Matches" mainstays, but also have coins. There's a shop where you can buy Trophies, Custom Moves, New Skins, Music and New Characters. The New Character in the shop is a random character, like those small figurine boxes you can get in toy stores. Every time you buy a new character from the shop, they get a little more expensive.

Wario's random task is spending χ,000 coins at the shop. He is the only character you can't simply buy, but you can still get him through the "# of Matches" method.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
What? I want to stop talking about Waluigi so I can have a legit conversation about Smash Bros, I'd much rather focus on potential elements of the game that still have a foreseeable chance of being in than a character who has already been disconfirmed. DLC or otherwise, why are we talking about DLC? The only time I really think it's appropriate to talk about DLC right now, which presumably is something they aren't even thinking about yet, are for characters like Spring Man or Rex/Pyra who may have missed the boat.

But yeah, funny you say that because Waluigi is the one getting in the way of good Smash Bros discussions. He's an AT and I'm not sure why everyone is having such difficulty coming to terms with that, and yes this is from someone who wanted/sort of expected Waluigi to be in this game.
Expect Waluigi to be discussed endlessly the same way Ridley was during Smash 4 speculation, and K. Rool was during the DLC period.

Demanding the interests of posters go in a direction you don't want is fruitless.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Just seems kind of odd of Nintendo to not include something in a demo, already shown playable.
Not really.

The demo lacked most of the characters and most of the stages, as one would expect it to. It's not strange at all to believe content was either cut from the demo, or simply not put in when they made the demo build.

Hmm... let's see...
Have the "Random Task" and "# of Matches" mainstays, but also have coins. There's a shop where you can buy Trophies, Custom Moves, New Skins, Music and New Characters. The New Character in the shop is a random character, like those small figurine boxes you can get in toy stores. Every time you buy a new character from the shop, they get a little more expensive.

Wario's random task is spending χ000 coins at the shop. He is the only character you can't simply buy, but you can still get him through the "# of Matches" method.
In the case of custom moves, we already know they've been removed, with the possible exception of Miis.

Edit: Whoops. I thought somebody else posted just now. Sorry for the double post.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Expect Waluigi to be discussed endlessly the same way Ridley was during Smash 4 speculation, and K. Rool was during the DLC period.

Demanding the interests of posters go in a direction you don't want is fruitless.
Where's the demand? I just said I wish they wouldn't. I was tired of Ridley discussion too. I would rather talk about other things, nobody needs to but I'm not interested in treading the same redundant ground constantly. That's all I'm saying.

KMDP

Smash Legend
In the case of custom moves, we already know they've been removed, with the possible exception of Miis.

Edit: Whoops. I thought somebody else posted just now. Sorry for the double post.
Actually, all we know is that Palutena had her old custom moves combined, she might still have new custom moves that are more in line with the other characters'. Otherwise a key feature of transferring Amiibo data would be lost.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm thinking you need to stop with the whole "Animal Crossing is for sure going to have 2 new characters" thing.

This honestly feels like you're looking for some "void" to fill now that Tom Nook is shown to be part of Villager's Final Smash again.
K.K. is likely just going to be part of the Smashville/Town & City stages on Saturday nights like before.
Not every Mii Costume relates to a possible fighter for Ultimate. :/
I did not say that Animal Crossing is guaranteed a newcomer, but I am saying Isabelle is the most likely and the best newcomer for the spot with evidence.

You are correct though.

D

Deleted member

I did not say that Animal Crossing is guaranteed a newcomer, but I am saying Isabelle is the most likely and the best newcomer for the spot with evidence.

You are correct though.
...you already commented on what I said earlier. Why are you quoting me again to say something else? :V

Are we farting at each other about the purple man again?
Funny you should say it like that considering the context of the last round of Mafia I was in....

Last edited by a moderator:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Are we farting at each other about the purple man again?
No, Ridley is already in the game.

Actually, all we know is that Palutena had her old custom moves combined, she might still have new custom moves. Otherwise a key feature of transferring Amiibo data would be lost.
True.
Though if custom moves do return, they'd also have to make new ones for the 7 dlc characters plus inkling and Ridley.

I hope they do return, but I'm trying to stay cautious.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Not really.

The demo lacked most of the characters and most of the stages, as one would expect it to. It's not strange at all to believe content was either cut from the demo, or simply not put in when they made the demo build.
That is true. didn't think of that. (For some reason)
I meant something more like a minor detail.
Then again, I don't care too much if waluigi is in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom