• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Anybody realizes nobody got hyped over a Pichu during E3 after Snake showed up?
I sort of did. Squirtle did it most for me, but Snake was the huge surprise. I didn’t believe “Everyone is here” until Pichu though.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
So I was around during Smash 4 speculation but not as much as I am now. I notice the similarities between Ridley fans holding hope and Waluigi fans holding hope but was the backlash against those fans the same?

Like did people become "anti-Ridley" just because the fans were reaching? That part kinda surprises me about the Waluigi thing. Like sure I don't want to spread misinformation or get people's hopes up but I'm defintely not "anti-Waluigi" or his fans. Curiousnif the same thing happened with Ridley during that time.
It's the reason I hate both, tbh.

Though I don't have a problem with Ridley being playable.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Every reaction I say had people hyping when Snake showed up and then further freaking out when Pichu showed up as if the trailer was saying "What part of Everybody don't you understand?"

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Speaking of menus..
Did we see the Ultimate menu?
I think it is going to be much better than the Smash 4 menu.
The Smash 4 menu was just a mess.
Don't get me started on that menu such a poorly made one still shocks me how Sakurai approved that. But after looking at both CSS for both Smash 4 and Ultimate I'm starting to get worried that Ultimate menu will be similar to Smash 4. Of course Ultimate CSS is not finished but still, I'm worried

Also, anyone that keeps calling this game Smush for short, please stop

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Expect Waluigi to be discussed endlessly the same way Ridley was during Smash 4 speculation, and K. Rool was during the DLC period.

Demanding the interests of posters go in a direction you don't want is fruitless.
as someone who's an old man to smash speculation (not as old as the melee registration dates LOL), I don't quite see it this way. it feels more like Waluigi is just a meme complaint. that said, it might actually change.

i don't know, i'll wait and see them run a stable thread first.
Sorry, I meant what series deserves a newcomer the most.
Donkey Kong.
Donkey Kong.
Donkey Kong.
Donkey Kong.
Donkey Kong.

It's not even up for debate.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Don't get me started on that menu such a poorly made one still shocks me how Sakurai approved that. But after looking at both CSS for both Smash 4 and Ultimate I'm starting to get worried that Ultimate menu will be similar to Smash 4. Of course Ultimate CSS is not finished but still, I'm worried

At least, Ultimate's case would make it so that, if DLC shows up, it's already consistently a mess :p

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
All right everyone! Lets have a fun game.

This has been done before, but what series do you think deserves a newcomer the most and name two newcomers you would like from that series.
Donkey Kong by far, it has to be Donkey Kong.

Dixie Kong and King K. Rool.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I sort of did. Squirtle did it most for me, but Snake was the huge surprise. I didn’t believe “Everyone is here” until Pichu though.
Every reaction I say had people hyping when Snake showed up and then further freaking out when Pichu showed up as if the trailer was saying "What part of Everybody don't you understand?"
Guess Sakurai had to make sure we believed him for once

What really matters is how Pit is likely no longer next to Samus in the final css build...only Dark Pit and Mega Knight (maybe Zelda)

StormC

Smash Hero
as someone who's an old man to smash speculation (not as old as the melee registration dates LOL), I don't quite see it this way. it feels more like Waluigi is just a meme complaint. that said, it might actually change.
If your profile is any indication, I'm older than you. :p

Waluigi support has been steadily rising with each game and he was very popular in polls early this year. I think this sort of outcry is too massive for a flavor of the week. He's no Zoroark, that's for sure.

D

Deleted member

Well everyone said DK and Dixie / King K. Rool.
Wow that was not up for debate. :p

I actually liked the Smash 4 character menu. The Ultimate menu already looks better than the Smash 4 menu.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
HOLD IT!

I think I may have realised something but I have to confirm, in the demo build, was the color behind the characters changing or staying static? Because it doesn't quite seem to match up between characters in the middle

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
HOLD IT!

I think I may have realised something but I have to confirm, in the demo build, was the color behind the characters changing or staying static? Because it doesn't quite seem to match up between characters in the middle
im pretty sure it changes like a wave of blue or yellow behind the fighter icons

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
HOLD IT!

The colors changed between blue and yellow

D

Deleted member

HOLD IT!

You forgot to use some Ace Attorney gif.

Also I think you are looking into the menu too much, the background probably does change a little bit like the Smash 4 menu.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
If your profile is any indication, I'm older than you. :p

Waluigi support has been steadily rising with each game and he was very popular in polls early this year. I think this sort of outcry is too massive for a flavor of the week. He's no Zoroark, that's for sure.
Ah, didn't know that about earlier this year, but I do agree that he's no Zoroark. We'll see if he lasts long enough to be Ridley or if he's

honestly, this showcases how done we are with necessary characters, it's really all a fanservice/marketing battle from this point out. If I were on the management team, I'd personally vouch to have half popular picks and half new picks from new franchises for advertising.

Well everyone said DK and Dixie / King K. Rool.
Wow that was not up for debate. :p

I actually liked the Smash 4 character menu. The Ultimate menu already looks better than the Smash 4 menu.
i mean, it's kinda hard to bring up a debate when everything else is literally just mostly excessive/fanservice

this is coming from someone who's a fan of plenty unnecessary characters.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You forgot to use some Ace Attorney gif.

Also I think you are looking into the menu too much, the background probably does change a little bit like the Smash 4 menu.
Smash boards still don't work with all my images.

Looks like I wasn't gonna get any cryptic hints out of that.

D

Deleted member

I kinda get Melee vibes from Ultimate's CSS. It looks nice and slick, with a nice dark background that isn't too hard on the eyes.

Given how nostalgia driven this game is going to be, I'm actually hoping that one of the options for the menu theme is a remix of N64's menu theme. Gosh, I love that theme...

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
On the contrary, many reaction videos have people screaming over Pichu after Snake showed up, myself included, so tons of people got hyped.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Do people realize this is still a fighting game and Sakurai can't simply add every popular character? They need movesets.

And I'll ignore first person pulling "but WFT and ROB?" card.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
On the contrary, many reaction videos have people screaming over Pichu after Snake showed up, myself included, so tons of people got hyped.
I’ve only seen people ignore or not notice Pichu

D

Deleted member

All the reaction videos I watched had people getting pretty excited for Pichu.

I got pretty excited. I'm probably more excited to play Pichu and Young Link than I am to play Ridley, TBH. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
And I'll ignore first person pulling "but WFT and ROB?" card.
But :ultvillager:...?

Seriously, this is somewhat important. We’re all really good at coming up with kits for our favorites, but some do take more reaching than others.

I would still hope we can get a LOOOOOOONG DLC support time for loads if popular characters though.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
It's already July.
Is there any newcomers in future?
It has only been 3 weeks. The initial Ultimate reveal, and by extension every E3 reveal, wasn't even a month ago at this point, we might need to wait a little bit longer before we start expecting another newcomer/Nintendo Direct.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Miikon

Smash Cadet
Next character reveal is coming after Nintendo has revealed its horrible paid online service, as a way to conceal the backlash. :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I personally wouldn't expect any worthwhile news until the next Direct. Even then, with the game only being about 5-ish months out, I wouldn't be surprised if it was complete silence until a direct in October/November. I have a feeling the E3 build is gonna be made playable at some point too, but that'll again probably be around October or November.

For me at least, I don't feel like I need anything big shown off right now. The E3 reveal was massive, I honestly would be okay with just waiting for release at this point.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
imagine being a kirby fan

WE DONT EVEN HAVE A RELEASE DATE FOR WAVE 2 YET D:
We'll probably get it soon, I imagine they were waiting to reveal Ado first and it's happening right now.
Pretty sure it's Ado from above, so we won't have to wait long now. Or at least I think we won't lol.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Fraud thing? Since when?
Since yesterday, technically.

Basically, Bayonetta was already decided for the roster before the ballot even began, with a data slot related to her being found only two weeks after the Ballot began.

It's not really that big of a deal, some people have blown it way out of proportion, kinda like the Waluigi thing.

That said, it is believed by some that the Ballot is being used to determine the Smash Ultimate newcomers. Mostly due to some usage of "exact wording" as well as the fact that we got Ridley, Inkling, and Daisy, who were all well requested Smash characters during Smash 4's speculation timespan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom