• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
HOLD IT!

I think I may have realised something but I have to confirm, in the demo build, was the color behind the characters changing or staying static? Because it doesn't quite seem to match up between characters in the middle
Just made a gif here

The blue flames cover the CSS over time

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
We'll probably get it soon, I imagine they were waiting to reveal Ado first and it's happening right now.
Pretty sure it's Ado from above, so we won't have to wait long now. Or at least I think we won't lol.
I'm a Kirby fan!

...I don't have Star Allies.
I know right, Dying rn
ya'll this has been killing me

I expected it out by now. Nintendo's been teasing me for six weeks after the datamine. IT'S HARD BEIN' PINK

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Dude, just be patient.
We will probably get newcomers when the next big direct hits.
When will be the next direct?

Oh you didn't hear about it? Here: https://twitter.com/Ruben_dal/status/1013925354682101760
Basically Bayonetta had a ZSS placeholder slot ready two weeks into the ballot, which means she was planned and worked on far before the ballot was over, Bayonetta getting in as Smash 4 DLC wasn't really decided by the ballot despite the implications.
Seriously? Do you think that Nintendo / Sakurai can lie to us?
I bet that this is fake.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Not all people can have a good eye.
Explains Etika
All the reaction videos I watched had people getting pretty excited for Pichu.

I got pretty excited. I'm probably more excited to play Pichu and Young Link than I am to play Ridley, TBH. :p
I’m more excited for Inklings

SonicMario

Smash Master
It's already July.
Is there any newcomers in future?
If Ultimate's reveals are anything like Smash 4's and newcomer reveals are tied to a recent game release it could either be Captain Toad (For his Switch port) or Ashley (WarioWare Gold comes out in Japan late in the month). Though if say there's a direct or just a presentation video similar to Robin & Lucina, it could literally be anything.

Of course there's no guarantee we get a reveal at all this month. Maybe they'll save any reveals specifically for special events like directs. In which case I'd guess August would be when we got our next reveal since Nintendo generally likes to take things bi-monthly. Probably a general Nintendo direct that contains only one character reveal, and a Smash direct in October or November that will probably have at least 2 reveals and a look into what the game modes will be like.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
imagine being a kirby fan

WE DONT EVEN HAVE A RELEASE DATE FOR WAVE 2 YET D:
My Switch's newsfeed gave me a "Winter" release for Daroach and Dark Meta Knight.

I hope that was just some kind of fluke.

domriver

Smash Lord
Next character reveal is coming after Nintendo has revealed its horrible paid online service, as a way to conceal the backlash. :troll:
LOL - here is the online service we had to change the amount to $50.00 per year for this special online service. BUT here is another character for Ultimate. Please take a look! LOL everyone will ignore the online subscription.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It has only been 3 weeks. The initial Ultimate reveal, and by extension every E3 reveal, wasn't even a month ago at this point, we might need to wait a little bit longer before we start expecting another newcomer/Nintendo Direct.
With Smash 4, Robin & Lucina we're revealed exactly a month after E3, so I'm hoping for an announcement by the end of July at least!

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
When will be the next direct?

I bet that this is fake.
Oh but they didn't lie, Bayonetta was only number one among "realizable" characters, if you never define what realizable means, then no matter what it's not lying because you can't prove it's lying. See?

Although, this actually reminds me of something I wanted to ask everyone, so I was looking up stuff on consumer laws in the USA after thinking about what SmashChu SmashChu said yesterday and I found this https://consumer.laws.com/deceptive-advertising/deceptive-advertising-definition
"Undefined terms is also considered a violation under consumer law. This will occur when manufacturers are very vague in their terms. They may be using terms that are not legally accepted and basically have little meaning."

Would "realizable" fit the bill here? Don't worry I'm not thinking of suing lol, I'm just wondering if this is technically illegal or what-not, I'm curious.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
With Smash 4, Robin & Lucina we're revealed exactly a month after E3, so I'm hoping for an announcement by the end of July at least!
You have a point there.
Believe that in end of July, Sakurai will reveal 1 newcomer and 1 echo fighter.
Agree with me?

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Oh but they didn't lie, Bayonetta was only number one among "realizable" characters, if you never define what realizable means, then no matter what it's not lying because you can't prove it's lying. See?

Although, this actually reminds me of something I wanted to ask everyone, so I was looking up stuff on consumer laws in the USA after thinking about what SmashChu SmashChu said yesterday and I found this https://consumer.laws.com/deceptive-advertising/deceptive-advertising-definition
"Undefined terms is also considered a violation under consumer law. This will occur when manufacturers are very vague in their terms. They may be using terms that are not legally accepted and basically have little meaning."

Would "realizable" fit the bill here? Don't worry I'm not thinking of suing lol, I'm just wondering if this is technically illegal or what-not, I'm curious.
actually, as I said before, two things.

1. It's very possible that they fibbed Bayonetta statistically similar to what Sony does to bluff their sales numbers
2. "Realizable characters" could also mean "we cut out the characters that we're gonna put in Smash Ult anyways"

Also tl;dr on legalities but it's not illegal unless we can actually prove more lies, but there's no shot in hell at anyone having the ballot results

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman

Doesn't this whole thing require some sort of sale? How could one sue over filling out an online questionnaire, and not getting an expected result where no monies have been exchanged? Would you sue for emotional distress?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Doesn't this whole thing require some sort of sale? How could one sue over filling out an online questionnaire, and not getting an expected result where no monies have been exchanged? Would you sue for emotional distress?
short version is, you can sue for anything

longer version is, you probably won't win so it's really pointless.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I bet that this is fake.
Nintendo isn’t perfect.

I feel like if Ubisoft or EA pulled something similar to the ballot they’d get crucified by everyone. Nintendo is getting off kinda easy, they aren’t getting as much backlash as everyone in here thought they would.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
short version is, you can sue for anything

longer version is, you probably won't win so it's really pointless.
Good point. If I were a judge in such a case, I would likely rule the plaintiff has to pay legal fees to Nintendo for such a frivolous lawsuit.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You have a point there.
Believe that in end of July, Sakurai will reveal 1 newcomer and 1 echo fighter.
Agree with me?
Could be one newcomer, no echo fighters. Could be two newcomers, no echo.

No, I'm not willing to bet on this.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Good point. If I were a judge in such a case, I would likely rule the plaintiff has to pay legal fees to Nintendo for such a frivolous lawsuit.
Actually, if you were a judge, you'd probably end up ruling something like a point of sale from Nintendo for the DLC in the game or something. also, if Nintendo actually showed up to court and didn't just rule themselves as guilty, Nintendo would be the ones causing more disruption

something something legalities don't work the way you think it does something something i went to pre-law for a year and i got a few friends that still yell to me about law school something

Seriously, Ridley and Daisy in Smash Bros Ultimate.
Do you think that Sakurai is listening the fanbase?
yes. absolutely.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, Ridley and Daisy in Smash Bros Ultimate.
Do you think that Sakurai is listening the fanbase?
I'd say he probably always listens. Listening is not the same as acceding to all our demands, especially since the fanbase is full of sometimes diametrically opposed views. Ridley is a great example. He listened to us, and eventually sided with the "he's not too big" group.

D

Deleted member

I’m more excited for Inklings
Same here. They were my number one most wanted, and I'm pretty much determined to main them and try my best to play them well, regardless of whether or not they're actually good, lol.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's ridiculous to think that all of the newcomers are going to be fan favorites.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Daisy is eclipsed by Waluigi in terms of popularity.
daisy also takes significantly less time to add compared to waluigi, for a start.

I'd say he probably always listens. Listening is not the same as acceding to all our demands, especially since the fanbase is full of sometimes diametrically opposed views. Ridley is a great example. He listened to us, and eventually sided with the "he's not too big" group.
it was never "he was too big" it was "he was too obnoxious to program" - his statements from brawl to Smash 4 truly show this

also yeah nintendo kinda has statistics everywhere about their IP's

KMDP

Smash Legend
Nintendo isn’t perfect.

I feel like if Ubisoft or EA pulled something similar to the ballot they’d get crucified by everyone. Nintendo is getting off kinda easy, they aren’t getting as much backlash as everyone in here thought they would.
The difference is that Nintendo has built up years (maybe even a generation) of good will, unlike Ubisoft and EA.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are we really assuming what newcomers are going to be?
You do not know what Sakurai has planned. Like no character we all mentioned before is guaranteed.

You never know, we may get a newcomer that surprises everyone even.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
If someone wanted to sue I think they'd buy Bayonetta and go for deceptive and misleading advertising, you can make a argument that it is misleading because it was implied that characters would be considered for Smash 4 DLC, which seems to not have happened because of Bayonetta being worked on so early and the "realizable" disclaimer, granted there's no way to prove that it didn't unless someone somehow got the rights to launch a investigation (I have no clue how that works, but I can't imagine a investigation overseas wouldn't have a bunch of legal hurdles on what they're allowed to see and what-not) and it'd be a massive hassle and waste of time and money lol.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
i don't think they should all be, but I think plenty of the newcomers will be characters fans wanted and the rest being good promotional material mostly.
I believe that there will be unexpected picks. It wouldn't be Smash without them.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Daisy is eclipsed by Waluigi in terms of popularity.
Daisy is also a character who has appeared in a main Mario game more times than Waluigi (sad thing) and is easier to implement into Smash...so yeah
Same here. They were my number one most wanted, and I'm pretty much determined to main them and try my best to play them well, regardless of whether or not they're actually good, lol.
They were the only character I truly wanted in Smash Ultimate and now anyone else is a bonus, and I’m definitely going to try to be good enough with them (always gotta have atleast one newcomer become a main of mine)
Nintendo isn’t perfect.

If all the Bayo stuff ends up being true, it doesn’t matter now that it’s been years since Smash 4 was completely done for. To complain about the last game when the next is on the horizon is just eh
The difference is that Nintendo has built up years (maybe even a generation) of good will, unlike Ubisoft and EA.
No good will until Nintendo gives me the following...Kid Icarus Uprising HD and a Sequel for the Switch, FE Blazing/Binding Blade remake combo, Kid Icarus anime, Mario and Peach wedding, Pimp Daddy Bowser movie, and Nintendo buys Sega (or atleast the:ultsonic::ultbayonetta:parts of it)

StormC

Smash Hero
As a K. Rool fan, I’d rather they made him with a proper budget than half-arse him in DLC and he’s stuck with a mediocre moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom