• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I mean, there's no way anyone is actually going to do anything with the possibility. I just threw @ToddCam a private message on how not worth it it is.

smash fans need to be more patient lol. LOOK AT RIDLEY FANS, THEY WAITED ALMOST 20 YEARS*

* = (and got like 20 of them banned in the process lololol)
(Sorry I just found that funny)

Wait I'm genuinely confused was the second half of your post in reference to mine? Because I didn't mention anything about patience :/ if not that disregard this whoops

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So I don't know anything about the person who did the intial tweet. Have we verified the accuracy of the report saying Bayo and Cloud slots were put in before the ballot? Is this proven true, or a theory?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Nintendo's "crime" is extremely petty. So their punishment should be a slap on the wrist. Their slap on the wrist is that there will be people who are annoyed at this. Some of this talk makes it sound like what they did was worse than adding lootboxes in as a way to unlock characters in a full retail price game.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I mean, there's no way anyone is actually going to do anything with the possibility. I just threw @ToddCam a private message on how not worth it it is.

smash fans need to be more patient lol. LOOK AT RIDLEY FANS, THEY WAITED ALMOST 20 YEARS*

* = (and got like 20 of them banned in the process lololol)
I am curious about how some of the more infamous Ridley supporters would have reacted if they were still around.

Not really curious enough to care though.
(Sorry I just found that funny)

Wait I'm genuinely confused was the second half of your post in reference to mine? Because I didn't mention anything about patience :/ if not that disregard this whoops
I think he was talking in reference to the possibility that Smash fans might actually consider taking action, and that they need to be more patient.

I dunno, something like that maybe?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Found a chart on resetera based on the system of a character's first appearance, updated it with predicted/popular candidates.

SSBUIcons.png

I counted Roy's first appearance as his FE title, even though technically it's Melee. Also Shovel Knight could be either 3ds or Wii U, since they launched concurrently, but I went with the one more people played.

Oh and credit to all the people who made the newcomer icons, not me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly Bayonetta being planned long before hand is exciting as it means we can throw more off the beat third party suggestions and be taken seriously. "I want X" "Well X isn't revolutionary" "Neither is Bayonetta" "Oh ****, right! I'm down for X now!"

KMDP

Smash Legend
Beside MM and Hyrule Warriors, what games have Skull kid appeared in?
Ocarina of Time (he's in the Lost Woods, he gives you a Heart Piece if you play Saria's Song for him)
Majora's Mask
Hyrule Warriors

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Found a chart on resetera based on the system of a character's first appearance, updated it with predicted/popular candidates.

View attachment 151288

I counted Roy's first appearance as his FE title, even though technically it's Melee. Also Shovel Knight could be either 3ds or Wii U, since they launched concurrently, but I went with the one more people played.

Ah! I saw the stock icons from the thread and squealed.

This is really cool! I defintely expect the 3DS to grow in representation. Probably SNES too.

(ALSO thanks for fixing the biggest issues I had, being that Roy was counted as GameCube and Mii's were counted multiple times. I'd still count the Pokemon seperately but to each their own).

KMDP

Smash Legend
Nintendo's "crime" is extremely petty. So their punishment should be a slap on the wrist. Their slap on the wrist is that there will be people who are annoyed at this. Some of this talk makes it sound like what they did was worse than adding lootboxes in as a way to unlock characters in a full retail price game.
You said it better than I, CatRaccoon.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
If the smash ballots didn't go into any of the Smash 4 DLC that gives me more hope that the results are gonna be used for Ultimate. Puts more credibility behind the theory that the newcomers in this game will be long time desires from fans (assuming those characters are also the ones that did well in the poll.) Billion dollar companies be lying to me every day I'm pretty much at peace with Nintendo lying to me about Bayo.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

View attachment 151288

ugh thihs is so hard for me to see for some of these lol

ALSO WAIT?

CAPTAIN TOAD STARTED OUT ON THE WII?!

D

Deleted member

View attachment 151288

Lucario originated from the Game Bot Advance, but truly shined at the DS.
So it can be both either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

ALSO WAIT?

Yup! Galaxy (1 or 2 or both I forget)
Lucario originated from the GameCube, but truly shined at the DS.
So it can be both either way.
GameCube? Do you mean Game Boy Advance because I've heard that with the Dungeon game.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
what

i’ve only been at work for two hours, and somehow we’ve gone from discussing custom moves to the ballot’s legal implications?? do i have a fever or something??

Last edited:

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
So you know how people never stop wanting things, characters in this case. Ridley got in, K.Rool is a whole hype rn so let’s say he gets in. Who is gonna be the next target? Will it be Waluigi or is there someone people want more than him (i still just see Waluigi as a Meme as i never really played the spinoff games so i myself don’t care about him)
Geno

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

ALSO WAIT?

He was in Galaxy before he had his own game.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
GameCube? Do you mean Game Boy Advance because I've heard that with the Dungeon game.
The argument that Lucario started on the Game Boy Advance because of a brief cameo of his face in the Mystery Dungeon games is absurd. If you want to make the argument that Lucario started on the Game Boy Advance then you also need to update that Pichu debuted in anime, because Pichu appeared in an animated short before Gold and Silver released.

Last edited:

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Is Geno really on the same level as K Rool and Ridley though?
It may be bias, but I absolutely believe so. He's been requested since Melee, was heavily requested for Brawl, and then of course got the Mii gunner costume in 4 (which sakurai said was due to him being a heavily requested character, one that Sakurai himself has wanted in the game).

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'd argue the general public notoriety hierarchy looks something like this...
Waluigi
Isabelle
Lyn
Bandana Dee
Ridley
Ashley
K. Rool
Isaac
Geno

Yeah... I'm not super confident in this list, but this is how'd I'd place 'em.

Geno being the lowest absolutely doesn't make him an unknown though, there are characters even lesser known, most of whom I can't think of because they aren't as well known! :laugh:

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Well we know he was a popular request for Brawl and 4 like Ridley, though if he was AS popular? We don't know. As most people likely mentioned, K.Rool's popularity didn't kick in until 4 as everyone believed Diddy was more important
True. I have no doubt he's popular. I'm just not sure he's as big as the (basically) main antagonists of their respective franchises

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
He was in Galaxy before he had his own game.
i played through both games 100% and you can't believe how silly I felt when finding that out via google
Again, Smashchu's as wise as a half-eaten cornflake, he says the dumbest **** like "Mario Odyssey will fail to sell as well as BotW", "People wanted Snake to be cut" and more things though those are off topic and his avatar is of a conspiracy theorist who believes Wonder Woman's trying to brainwash society into thinking men are expendable and that Star Wars' iconic Death Star is meant to be symbolic for the welfare state, I don't get why people put any faith in him when it comes to facts
never have I wished I could like a post multiple times
In terms of requests?

oh man, if you were on NSider back in the day, you'd be turning that sentence into "Is K. Rool really on the same level of Geno and Ridley?"

D

Deleted member

The argument that Lucario started on the Game Boy Advance because of a brief cameo in the Mystery Dungeon games is absurd. If you want to make the argument that Lucario started on the Game Boy Advance then you also need to update Pichu was the first Anime representative because Pichu appeared in an anime short before Gold and Silver released.
Well the anime does not count as a game, but it is difficult to argue about this because it lays out a good point.
You can do GBA or DS if you want it like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Man this anti-Waluigi circlejerk is annoying. It's just profoundly idiotic that people are so quick to vilify all Waluigi supporters because of one guy sending Sakurai a death threat, meanwhile several Rayman supporters sent them to Artsy Omni after his leak, one of which was in Rayman's support thread, but there was no anti-Rayman sentiment after that.

It's disgusting that people pretend it's standing against death threats when in reality they're using it as a convenient scapegoat to put down a character they don't like. Pathetic, really.
If you're referring to me, I'd like to say that I was actually trying to say the same thing in my post. No one realized that, unfortunately, and I wasn't around to correct them.
That aside, I completely agree with you. Makes you wonder how they'd act if their character was in the same situation.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
i played through both games 100% and you can't believe how silly I felt when finding that out via google

never have I wished I could like a post multiple times

In terms of requests?

oh man, if you were on NSider back in the day, you'd be turning that sentence into "Is K. Rool really on the same level of Geno and Ridley?"
I mean now though. I feel like the Geno fire has dwindled down a bit. But I could be completely wrong.

I still think he's pretty likely for base regardless because the Mii Costume theory

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
So I don't know anything about the person who did the intial tweet. Have we verified the accuracy of the report saying Bayo and Cloud slots were put in before the ballot? Is this proven true, or a theory?
It's true, all verified dataminers have confirmed their data existing in version 1.0.6, and you can see the data for yourself if you know how to do datamine stuff.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
True, Wasn't aware of that.
Just seems kind of odd of Nintendo to not include something in a demo, already shown playable.
Once again, i still don't think Waluigi is gonna be a fighter
Demo builds have to be put together pretty far in advance so it makes sense they would only include things that were already far long and anything else would be excluded.

Nintendo isn’t perfect.

I feel like if Ubisoft or EA pulled something similar to the ballot they’d get crucified by everyone. Nintendo is getting off kinda easy, they aren’t getting as much backlash as everyone in here thought they would.
Ubisoft and EA have the reputation they do mostly due repetitive behavior. Nintendo definitely have their issues such as their views on streaming content, youtube handlings, and their sometimes bizarre decision making but generally they tend to stay away from practice that offend the general public. Compared to Ubisoft or EA who seems to sometimes appear malice in their intentions when it comes to some decisions.

I'd say he probably always listens. Listening is not the same as acceding to all our demands, especially since the fanbase is full of sometimes diametrically opposed views. Ridley is a great example. He listened to us, and eventually sided with the "he's not too big" group.
There saying in business of 'Do not simply listen to what your customer say, understand what they mean'. The reason for this is often times consumers can give very conflicting and very contradictory statement. Though direct feedback is useful, it often time leads to various bias that can lead to short sighted decisions. Generally someone like Sakurai will look at treads and information that can be found to determine such things as well as what can be done from a gameplay and financial standpoint. Likely Ridley was based a series of different sources or information to make the decision to engage in what was probably a more difficult development. Everything has to be justified, which consumers can sometimes be unwilling to hear.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

View attachment 151282

Both of these were different down specials for the Brawler in Smash 4. So safe to say customs are at least back for the Miis. I could see them making Miis the only ones with customs. That was kind of their thing and gimmick.
It would feel like a huge waste if only the Miis have custom special moves. But again, we'll have to wait for future news to know what will happen to customizations.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I mean now though. I feel like the Geno fire has dwindled down a bit. But I could be completely wrong.

I still think he's pretty likely for base regardless because the Mii Costume theory
hasn't really died down that much, but, I will say that it's died down on some sites and ever since we got Square Enix Character there hasn't been a necessary need for Geno

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It's ridiculous to think that all of the newcomers are going to be fan favorites.
I agree.

At least half of the newcomers will be ballot picks because of how big it was and can help Sakurai pick fan favorites to be added, I still expect to see 3-4 characters to be selected outside of it.

Like an oddball (retro), and y’know recent game characters.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ubisoft and EA have the reputation they do mostly due repetitive behavior. Nintendo definitely have their issues such as their views on streaming content, youtube handlings, and their sometimes bizarre decision making but generally they tend to stay away from practice that offend the general public. Compared to Ubisoft or EA who seems to sometimes appear malice in their intentions when it comes to some decisions.
This is what I meant when I said Nintendo has built up years of good will.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It would feel like a huge waste if only the Miis have custom special moves. But again, we'll have to wait for future news to know what will happen to customizations.
Honestly, I'd feel that instead of wasting resources making custom moves, they really just outta make the moves good to begin with so we don't have moves that are recommended to never be used like Warlock Punch or any of those long horizontal charging moves.

Last edited:

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I agree.

At least half of the newcomers will be ballot picks because of how big it was and can help Sakurai pick fan favorites to be added, I still expect to see 3-4 characters to be selected outside of it.

Like an oddball (retro), and y’know recent game characters.
If we're getting a retro character again, my hope is Miria from The Guardian Legend. She's a hot robot girl who transforms into a spaceship from an NES game that isnt unknown but is still slept on more than deserved.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ah! I saw the stock icons from the thread and squealed.

This is really cool! I defintely expect the 3DS to grow in representation. Probably SNES too.

(ALSO thanks for fixing the biggest issues I had, being that Roy was counted as GameCube and Mii's were counted multiple times. I'd still count the Pokemon seperately but to each their own).
Yeah, it's a helpful thread! And fair enough on the Pokemon, had they received their own icons or debuted on separate systems, I likely would've counted them individually.

Yes Gameboy Advance. I got that mixed up for a second.
True as that might be, I don't think people would really take issue omitting that cameo. Plus without Lucario the DS section would look even sadder. Funny given how prolific it was.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
It would be a massive waste of time if every character has customs because almost nobody cares about them.
The DLC Smash 4 characters lack customs for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom