• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
It means nothing. The update didn’t have slots for Lucas, Roy, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayo specifically. The update just had placeholder character slots open.

All the number tells us is that there were a set amount of DLC characters. Only Lucas (who was already announced), Ryu, and Roy were specifically named in that update. It was those three, and two other placeholder spots.

That’s all they were, placeholders, one of which was for the ballot winner who would later be determined.

EDIT: Nevermind I may be a fool

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I mean the bayonetta reveal trailer DID say she was #1 worldwide out of "realizable characters" which means nothing.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I'd say the ballot was used more for Ultimate newcomers than DLC, but some scraps were likely taken from it to decide DLC for 4.
But from the evidence the Ballot wasn't used for Smash 4 DLC at all, as it appeared Bayo and Cloud were decided before the Ballot, as their data was in the game in 1.0.6, just two weeks after the Ballot launched.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
This is partially my bias, and definitely my limited understanding of the situation at large, but I never fully bought that Bayonetta or even Cloud “won” the ballot, even when considering “realizable” characters. I could see Bayo as maybe a top 15 contender, but.. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen any unofficial polling data that placed Cloud anywhere near the top 10 most requested characters.. though I’m very aware of the inaccuracies of relying on unofficial polls.

But anyway. As long as the ballot influences our upcoming newcomers, I am fine with this having been a “ruse” at first blush

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Is it just me or does every "leaker" think that Gang-Plank Galleon is the most likely new stage? I'll laugh if it's not in the game. I will ... be quite happy if it is, because that could only mean one thing.
If my precious Pirate Ship stage was cut they better darn well give me Gangplank Galleon in return, lol.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Here's a new game (since you guys keep posting games)

Pick new clone or echo characters for the following characters:

Wario

Mr Game and Watch

King Dedede
Okay... I can do this:

Rufus (from Streer Fighter IV) as the Wario echo.

Mickey Mouse’s silhouette for Game and Watch

Whac a Mole (So a giant mole with a hammer) over DeDeDe. Gordo toss becomes Ski Ball Toad.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Seriously though, this is huge.

In hindsight it makes sense though, as similar polls have been conducted in the past for previous Smash Bros. games.

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
This whole two week time-frame from the ballot to having character data existing doesn't necessarily mean much. Take a look at how the poll worked-- it was announced to a wide-spread audience during a direct. How many people immediately went and voted right after the direct ended? Or, at the very worst, within a couple of days, through hearsay? There would have been a massive influx of votes to at the beginning, and it would have petered out pretty quickly. Most casual fans would vote once, maybe a second time on their friends' computer, but that's about it. For the most part, I expect that results of the poll were determined, with very little fluctuations, within a week of it's inception.

And they probably knew that. It would have been easy to see the trends of the results flesh out, and maintain a relatively similar balance throughout. Generally speaking, polls (and especially those whose results aren't shown up-front) don't change much throughout. What you see in the first few days is a pretty good indicator of the final result. It would have been easy to see which of the top 20 characters were realizable, and to be perfectly frank, a desirable newcomer to Sakurai, and start implementing them early. Does that mean the poll results were fudged a bit? Probably, but I don't think the poll ever stated "the most popular character will get put in no matter what!" It was just being used to gauge interest on which characters people would want.

Or perhaps, more aaccurately, which characters people would actually buy.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

Seriously though, this is huge.

In hindsight it makes sense though, as similar polls have been conducted in the past for previous Smash Bros. games.
It could be that the Ballot may have been intended for DLC initially, but partway through decided it would be wasteful to spend those resources on DLC for Smash 4 when they could be pooled for a huge Smash game on the Switch that Nintendo really needed the Switch to be successful (otherwise it would have been a really long time before the Switch got its own Smash game unless it was a straight port), and thus then made up the cover story of Bayo being the "ballot winner" to save face.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
This whole two week time-frame for the ballot to having character data existing doesn't necessarily mean much. Take a look at how the poll worked-- it was announced to a wide-spread audience during a direct. How many people immediately went and voted right after the direct ended? Or, at the very worst, within a couple of days, through hearsay? There would have been a massive influx of votes to at the beginning, and it would have petered out pretty quickly. Most casual fans would vote once, maybe a second time on their friends' computer, but that's about it. For the most part, I expect that results of the poll were determined, with very little fluctuations, within a week of it's inception.

And they probably knew that. It would have been easy to see the trends of the results flesh out, and maintain a relatively similar balance throughout. Generally speaking, polls (and especially those whose results aren't shown up-front) don't change much throughout. What you see in the first few days is a pretty good indicator of the final result. It would have been easy to see which of the top 20 characters were realizable, and to be perfectly frank, a desirable newcomer to Sakurai, and start implementing them early. Does that mean the poll results were fudged a bit? Probably, but I don't think the poll ever stated "the most popular character will get put in no matter what!" It was just being used to gauge interest on which characters people would want.

Not only would the data for 1.0.6 have been done well before the date it dropped (chances are that the data was how it was before the Ballot launched), but the process of deciding Bayo/Cloud, completing the licensing to them, and starting active development on them would be extremely doubtful to have happened within two weeks.

Last edited:

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
This whole two week time-frame for the ballot to having character data existing doesn't necessarily mean much. Take a look at how the poll worked-- it was announced to a wide-spread audience during a direct. How many people immediately went and voted right after the direct ended? Or, at the very worst, within a couple of days, through hearsay? There would have been a massive influx of votes to at the beginning, and it would have petered out pretty quickly. Most casual fans would vote once, maybe a second time on their friends' computer, but that's about it. For the most part, I expect that results of the poll were determined, with very little fluctuations, within a week of it's inception.

Then why make it last for several months?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
> Remembers voting for Chrom on close to one hundred school computers one boring weekend at college.

Maybe it meant something after all.
It likely didn't.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
> Remembers voting for Chrom on close to one hundred school computers one boring weekend at college.

Maybe it meant something after all.
It likely didn't.
Man, I thought I was clever for voting once on my home computer and once on my work computer.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Maxillian dood called out Bayo before DLC was even a thing and I believed him and looked what happened.

I knew the ballot was a ruse, these talks were done way before launch.

:ultzss: magically gets heels out of nowhere as if her model was being used for someone else.:ultbayonetta:
Wait, seriously? Bayonetta started as a ZSS clone?

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
You all really need to appreciate how amazing the art is in Ultimate.

I mean this looks 4K, and the Switch does not even support 4K.

We all should thank Sakurai and his team for his work for this game instead of ranting. :)
But why not both?! :colorful:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
This whole two week time-frame from the ballot to having character data existing doesn't necessarily mean much. Take a look at how the poll worked-- it was announced to a wide-spread audience during a direct. How many people immediately went and voted right after the direct ended? Or, at the very worst, within a couple of days, through hearsay? There would have been a massive influx of votes to at the beginning, and it would have petered out pretty quickly. Most casual fans would vote once, maybe a second time on their friends' computer, but that's about it. For the most part, I expect that results of the poll were determined, with very little fluctuations, within a week of it's inception.
Going off of this there was no reason to have the ballot open for what? 5, 6 months? Going off of who got the most votes FASTEST kind of undermines the entire point of having a poll to begin with, that's more like a race.

We know DLC characters take around 6 months to make, we know the point of the ballot was to be more of a suggestions box, we never got the ACTUAL numbers and we have no idea what Nintendo meant when they said "realizable character", like yes that obviously excludes Goku, but we don't know who else counts as non-realizable. Going off of all the evidence posted ITT so far, saying that Bayo was chosen right after or even before the Ballot was released is not that far of a stretch.
Didn't they make a point to say they threw out obvious duplicate votes? That's why I only voted once from my laptop and once from my phone, then just tried to get other people to vote for Ice Climbers and Shantae through Twitter.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wait, seriously? Bayonetta started as a ZSS clone?
Not necessarily. They're just built off the same skeleton, so to speak. Like how Cloud used a lot of Ike assets.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Ok why has this come up now? I'm sorry but I don't follow why this is coming up now and is valid and believeable... Wouldn't this have come up earlier?

There has never been a case where an inaugural character, no matter how “boring” they may be considered, was passed over for a secondary character.

If ARMS gets a character in Smash, it will be Spring Man first. It’s the same thing as XC2. If XC2 gets a character in Smash, it would absolutely be Rex and Pyra.

Fiora is one of the most popular Xenoblade characters. We still got Shulk as the first Xenoblade character.

It really isn’t complicated. I totally get why certain characters might be wanted over Spring Man or *insert character here*. But chances are the main, “title character” is going to be the first character from their respective franchise to be added.

Of course, i’m sure somebody will respond that “Sakurai changes the way he does things all the time!”, which isn’t wrong by any means. But make no mistake, just because he changes certain things doesn’t mean he’ll change others.
I'd argue Robin & Chrom. Chrom was literally passed over because he didn't bring anything to the table.

HOWEVER and I know this, it's not the same thing with Springman because even if he's the most bland ARMS fighter he still represents a new and unique way to fight. But just wanted to point out I think you can say Sakurai has passed over the more bpand option, it just depends on how we are defining bland.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Didn't they make a point to say they threw out obvious duplicate votes? That's why I only voted once from my laptop and once from my phone, then just tried to get other people to vote for Ice Climbers and Shantae through Twitter.
The beauty of having access to multiple computer labs with different IP addresses, as well as wording each one differently...and a VPN or two. :^)

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It always never made sense to me how they had Bayo ready so soon after the ballot was over. Like we know it takes a while to make a character. But I had the feeling she wasn’t the true winner, and that Wolf,Snake, K Rool or Goku(do not underestimate Latin America and little kids) won the ballot.

It is kinda upsetting that they mislead us like that. But I do think the Ballot is the reason why we got “Everyone is Here” as the theme for ultimate. I think Snake and Wolf topped the ballot and it made Sakurai realize people wanted the vets back badly, leading him to bring back every vet ever. So that’s why I’m not up in arms about my vote “not mattering”, because it clearly did: it got me Snake back. He even said it himself -“back by popular demand.”

I just hope the other fan favorites get in this time and he lays off the WTF characters for this iteration. Especially with less time to make newcomers.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Ok why has this come up now? I'm sorry but I don't follow why this is coming up now and is valid and believeable... Wouldn't this have come up earlier?
As said:

The Mario slots having stats wasn't known at the time and was discovered after the fact, a lot of the datamine stuff was a process to figure out (like stats weren't known how to find for a long time, for example Dedede's air speed nerf was discovered after the fact, and landing lag wasn't known how to be found in the data for nearly the entirety of Smash 4's active patching period, meaning landing lag changes had to be found by manually recording everyone and counting the frames of their landing lag)

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
Not only would the data for 1.0.6 have been done well before the date it dropped (chances are that the data was how it was before the Ballot launched), but the process of deciding Bayo/Cloud, completing the licensing to them, and starting active development on them would be extremely doubtful to have happened within two weeks.
Unless I misunderstand, it sounds like the data in 1.0.6 was just a carbon copy of Ike and ZSS, correct? If not then I understand where you're coming from, but if it's just copied numbers to get development started, then why not? If Square came back and said no about Cloud, well they had just picked Ike's model data. He's a relatively generic male frame, and ZSS fits that for female frames too. Not that I have a particularly in-depth understanding of the character creation process, but I feel like they could have started a multitude of characters from that point.

Then why make it last for several months?
More entries solidifies your data. Just because the initial burst has a trend, doesn't mean more time doesn't widen (or close) the margin, which helps down the road as more DLC characters were being added. The top end would be pretty obvious right away, but not necessarily the middle ground, and the extra time could help differentiate closer ties in the middle.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Well at least it was discovered recently. Had it been the case three years ago this would have been toxic fuel.

I must say this bombshell is a shock.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So folks...

Here's a question.

Does this question change how you feel about Bayonetta in Smash? :ultbayonetta:

D

Deleted member

Not necessarily. They're just built off the same skeleton, so to speak. Like how Cloud used a lot of Ike assets.
"Cloud used a lot of Ike assets."

You still have a lot of learning to do. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom