• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
:ultmario::ultbowser::ultlink::ultganondorf::ultgnw::ultinkling:
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultzelda:
:ultfox::ultwolf::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultfalcon::ultpeach:
:ultsamus::ultridley::ultmarth::ultike::ultpit::ultbayonetta:

Unlockables: :ultbayonetta::ultmewtwo::ultfalcon::ultike::ultmarth::ultwolf::ultridley::ultganondorf:

:ultbayonetta:: Play 50 matches
:ultmewtwo:: Complete classic mode with Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer
:ultfalcon:: Complete Classic mode on Hard difficulty without using a continue.
:ultmarth:: Play on [insert Fire Emblem Stage 5 times].
:ultike:: Play Marth 10 times
:ultwolf:: Complete all challenges
:ultridley:: Complete Story mode on any difficulty.
:ultganondorf:: Unlock all secret characters AND play Link 10 times.

DLC: :ultfalco::ultmetaknight::ultpalutena::ultryu::ultmegaman::ultsonic::ultluigi::ulticeclimbers:

My 24 + DLC

I added Bayonetta considering she won the ballot; I am presuming it would be in bad taste to not include the ballot winner in a reboot.

Mad hard to do when having to cut 50+% of the cast lmao.
Out of all that, you don't think :ultyoshi: makes the cut?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I don’t believe so, no. At least I haven’t seen any reports on him appearing.
Thanks. I had been trying to find out. Didn't see any mention of him, but wanted to be sure.

There is an interesting point that raises, however:

Riki
Ashley
Tingle
Skull Kid
Shadow

These are all of the Assist Trophies that have the potential to affect players.

None of them appeared in the demo, though Riki was confirmed to be returning in the trailer.

While I will not deny the possibility of some of them being playable, I am also considering that they may simply not have been ready to play. Smash Ultimate allows multiple ATs to be out at once now, and this could potential cause conflicts with the effects or other glitches/refinements that meant that these ATs were simply not ready to show off at the demo.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I suggest you break your max 3 rule (which you're practically breaking already with trainer) for one choice, and that is Peach rather than Baby Mario. She's just too Iconic, represent spin-offs better (and baby Mario used for that makes him worse as a Yoshi rep). If not, maybe an actual popular character like Ashley (Warioware) as a third spinoff rep. This is unless you just really like Baby Mario
The spot was actually Paper Mario's at first, but his powersets are too varied and unfocused for my liking, and Baby Mario fills the similar hammer role well. Plus he's a decent choice to represent M&L as well (even if it's only one game). I actually hated Baby Mario as a choice until I was making this specific roster a week ago, and suddenly flipped out of nowhere and suddenly I'm a big advocate here. It's probably a phase that'll pass.

Peach is the primary reason I'd break the rule, and Mario's the best series to do it for as well. But I'm happy with it for now, definitely something I considered too.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
He's in Shulk's final smash, we don't need to see him as an AT to know he's not playable.
Not important to my point, actually. And we do know, from the Direct, that he is back as an AT.

I was wondering about the ATs that cause status effects on players. There are five of them. Four of them are complete no-shows so far, and Riki was only seen in the trailer. I think there may have been a reason for that.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not important to my point, actually. And we do know, from the Direct, that he is back as an AT.

I was wondering about the ATs that cause status effects on players. There are five of them. Four of them are complete no-shows so far, and Riki was only seen in the trailer. I think there may have been a reason for that.
When was Skull Kid an AT?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Probably has something to do with the new "get back to the action" fast attitude of the game.

But then again, Palkia was seen in the Invitational, right?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
When was Skull Kid an AT?
Smash 4.

From the Smash Wiki:

"The Skull Kid from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask appears in Super Smash Bros. 4 as an Assist Trophy. As one of the Tips mentions, Skull Kid is one of the only Assist Trophies to have potentially detrimental effects to both enemies and the user. When he appears, he can do one of three things, chosen at random:

• Flips the camera upside-down, similar to Palkia's effect in Spear Pillar.
  • Reverses all directional inputs for all players, so left is right and up is down. This does not apply to taunts.
  • Turns all fighters invisible."

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Smash 4.

From the Smash Wiki:

"The Skull Kid from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask appears in Super Smash Bros. 4 as an Assist Trophy. As one of the Tips mentions, Skull Kid is one of the only Assist Trophies to have potentially detrimental effects to both enemies and the user. When he appears, he can do one of three things, chosen at random:

• Flips the camera upside-down, similar to Palkia's effect in Spear Pillar.
  • Reverses all directional inputs for all players, so left is right and up is down. This does not apply to taunts.
  • Turns all fighters invisible."
Wow, my memory is trash.
That's what I get for not playing with items for four years.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Anyway...

Thanks. I had been trying to find out. Didn't see any mention of him, but wanted to be sure.

There is an interesting point that raises, however:

Riki
Ashley
Tingle
Skull Kid
Shadow

These are all of the Assist Trophies that have the potential to affect players.

None of them appeared in the demo, though Riki was confirmed to be returning in the trailer.

While I will not deny the possibility of some of them being playable, I am also considering that they may simply not have been ready to play. Smash Ultimate allows multiple ATs to be out at once now, and this could potential cause conflicts with the effects or other glitches/refinements that meant that these ATs were simply not ready to show off at the demo.
I will admit, you have a point. There is a strong possibility that the ATs you mentioned simply weren't ready to show off during the demo.

However, considering your sound theory goes against my blind belief for a playable Ashley, I shall call this theory completely off-base purely because I don't want it to be true.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Anyway...

I will admit, you have a point. There is a strong possibility that the ATs you mentioned simply weren't ready to show off during the demo.

However, considering your sound theory goes against my blind belief for a playable Ashley, I shall call this theory completely off-base purely because I don't want it to be true.
Assist Trophy? Those don't exist, silly! Ashley's definitely playable, right? RIGHT?!
(Sakurai i'm beggin' ya!)

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
If we don’t get Lyn or Celica, I will gladly take Chrom as an Echo. He’s very popular, and the only main character from Awakening not to be playable in Smash so I could see him and would welcome him to the roster with open arms.
If we had to get another FE character, I would rather it be Edelgard for DLC to promote Fire Emblem: Three Houses. At least she would be an axe user and not another boring Awakening sword lord.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Time for another one of these...

If the third-party companies were to get newcomers for up to three reps each, who could you see them put in (and if you so desire, why)? For me, this is how it would follow:
Konami: Simon (Castlevania) & Goemon (Mystical Ninja)
SEGA: Arle (Puyo Puyo)
Capcom: Phoenix Wright
Namco: Heihachi (Tekken) and a Tales rep
Square: A Dragon Quest rep & Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
If we had to get another FE character, I would rather it be Edelgard for DLC to promote Fire Emblem: Three Houses. At least she would be an axe user and not another boring Awakening sword lord.
Now I'm thinking tons of interesting stuff you can do with axes.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

If the third-party companies were to get newcomers for up to three reps each, who could you see them put in and why? For me, this is how it would follow:
You didn't explain why :p Can't even follow your own rules

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
>Lyn
>Boring

Dude, have you seen some of the things she can do with just her sword? In fact she doesn’t even just have to use a sword since she wields a bow as well.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Let’s play a little game, choose your most wanted newcomer from each series:

Mario:
Yoshi:
Wario:
Donkey Kong:
Zelda:
Metroid:
Fire Emblem:
Kirby:
Star Fox:
Pokémon:
F-Zero:
Earthbound:
Pikmin:
Kid Icarus:
Animal Crossing:
Punch Out!:
Xenoblade:
Splatoon:
Retro:
Other:
SEGA:
Capcom:
Namco:
Square Enix:
Konami:

For me I’d do this:
Mario: Captain Toad
Yoshi: Kamek
Wario: Ashley
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
Zelda: Tetra
Metroid: Dark Samus
Fire Emblem: Lyndis
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Star Fox: Slippy or Krystal
Pokémon: Zoroark
F-Zero: Jody Summer
Earthbound: Kumatora
Pikmin: Alph
Kid Icarus: Viridi
Animal Crossing: Tom Nook or Isabelle
Punch Out!: Doc Lois
Xenoblade: Fiora
Splatoon: Octolings
Retro: Takamaru
Other: Chorus Kids
SEGA: Arle Nadja
Capcom: Chun-Li
Namco: Lloyd
Square Enix: Geno
Konami: Bomberman
Mario: Captain Toad/Toadette
Zelda: Mipha, Ubosa, or Fi
Fire Emblem: Lyn
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Star Fox: Krystal
Pokémon: Gardevoir
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Earthbound: Kumatora
Pikmin: Alph
Kid Icarus: Phosphora
Animal Crossing: Isabelle
Punch Out!: Glass Joe
Xenoblade: Rex & Pyra, or Elma
Splatoon: Octolings/Marina
Retro: Mach Rider
Other: Shantae
SEGA: Blaze the Cat
Capcom: Amaterasu
Namco: Sheena Fujibayashi
Square Enix: Sora
Konami: Raiden

osby

Smash Obsessed

If the third-party companies were to get newcomers for up to three reps each, who could you see them put in and why? For me, this is how it would follow:
Konami: Simon, Goemon
SEGA: Joker
Capcom: Chris Redfield
Namco: Gilgamesh, Heihachi
Square: Lara Croft, Sora

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Oooh. Now this is a fun idea.

Mario: Paper Mario
Wario: Captain Syrup
Donkey Kong: King K. Rool
Zelda: Majora/Skull Kid
Metroid: Sylux
Fire Emblem: Edelgard (DLC)
Kirby: Adeleine
Star Fox: Krystal
Pokémon: Decidueye
F-Zero: Bio-Rex
Earthbound: Claus
Pikmin: Brittany
Kid Icarus: Viridi
Animal Crossing: Isabelle
Punch Out!: King Hippo
Xenoblade: Rex and Pyra
Splatoon: DJ Octavio
Retro: Lip
Other: Sheriff
SEGA: NiGHTS
Capcom: Frank West
Namco: Heihachi
Square Enix: Sora
Konami: Goemon

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I guess i'll try that reboot roster thing
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultdiddy: (Dixie Kong)
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco:
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo:(Gen 7 PKMN) (Gen 8 PKMN):ultsamus::ultzss:
:ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin(Edelgard):ultshulk:(Rex & Pyra):ultpit::ultpalutena:
:ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultfalcon::ultness::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultinkling:
:ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultcloud::ultsnake:(3P Char No. 1) (3P Char No. 2):ultmiifighters:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>Lyn
>Boring

Dude, have you seen some of the things she can do with just her sword? In fact she doesn’t even just have to use a sword since she wields a bow as well.
He said Awakening Lords, not Blazing Blade Lords. :p

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Edelgard has became the new Chrom in Smash speculation.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Mario: Geno
Zelda: Impa
Fire Emblem: Chrom (Echo Fighter)
Kirby: Bandanna Dee
Star Fox: Peppy Hare
Pokémon: Decidueye
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Earthbound: Ninten (Echo Fighter)
Pikmin: Louie
Kid Icarus: Hades
Animal Crossing: K.K. Slider
Punch Out!: Mike Tyson (But seriously, IDK)
Xenoblade: Rex & Pyra
Splatoon: Octoling (Echo Fighter)
Retro: Balloon Fighter
Other: Isaac (Golden Sun)
SEGA: Arle Nadja
Namco: Reiji Arisu
Square Enix: Neku Sakuraba
Konami: Simon Belmont

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Here's an activity for you all.

State your reaction for each of these events.

Your reaction if Captain Toad is revealed.
Your reaction if Papaer Mario is revealed.
Your reaction if K.Rool is revealed.
Your reaction if Dixie Kong is revealed.
Your reaction if Skull Kid is revealed.
Your reaction if a champion is revealed.
Your reaction if Dark Samus is revealed.
Your reaction if Bandana Waddle Dee is revealed.
Your reaction if Decidueye is revealed.
Your reaction if Incineroar is revealed.
Your reaction if Mimikyu is revealed.
Your reaction if Celica is revealed.
Your reaction if Ashley is revealed.
Your reaction if Elma is Revealed.
Your reaction if Rex and Pyra is revealed.
Your reaction if Wonder Red is revealed.
Your reaction if Dillon is revealed.
Your reaction if Spring Man is revealed.
Your reaction if Simon is revealed.
Your reaction if Crash is revealed.
Captain Toad Reaction: Oh, Captain Toad. What have they done for him...?
Paper Mario Reaction: Oh wow - Paper Mario! Didn't think it would happen!
K. Rool Reaction: That's awesome! Congratulations to the K. Rool fans!
Dixie Reaction: Oh wow - Dixie Kong! ...Is K. Rool here as well, or is it Dixie herself? (If both) YES!! (If just Dixie)Ah, K. Rool's not here; eh, Dixie looks fun either way.
Skull Kid Reaction: No way! That's awesome! What did they do for him?
Non-Specific Champion: Wasn't really expecting it, but okay.
Dark Samus: Depends on if she's a unique character or echo fighter. Unique: Dark Samus too? Are we going to call Sakurai on Metroid bias? lol Echo Fighter: Oh, Dark Samus is an Echo Fighter. That's okay.
Bandanna Dee: Neat! Bandanna Dee's here!
Decidueye: Oh yes! Decidueye's here!
Incineroar: Whoa - Incineroar? Didn't see that.
Mimikyu: I can't believe they did it... Mimikyu's playable? (sorta disbelief, would be hyped if I see cool gameplay)
Celica: Hoo boy... some people are not gonna be happy...
Ashley: YES! Ashley made the jump to playable!
Elma: Yeah, that's okay. I think she earned it.
Rex and Pyra: Yeah! I didn't think they'd make it Here's hoping they're good fun to play.
Wonder Red: Wonderful... I didn't see this ever happening...
Dillon: Dillon...? Well, not exactly my first pick, but okay...
Spring Man: Exact same as Rex and Pyra's reaction, though maybe humming the ARMS theme mid-trailer.
Simon: HAVE AT YOU!!! SIMON'S HERE TOO!!
Crash: WHOA. Well, not exactly familiar with him. ...I oughta finish the Crash N. Sanity trilogy, but congrats.

As for this reboot talk: I'm completely against an MVCI erasure of Smash's current roster, but if I had to make cuts for a rebooted roster, I'd make it the same size as Brawl's roster. Don't ask me to make a rebooted roster, but I'd definitely include most of the essentials and franchises we have so far. Maybe some third-parties can leave, some can join, but I ask that neither Inkling or Ridley ever leave.

Wambo

Smash Ace
This is probably the best rebooted roster I’ve seen, my only change would be Lucario to Mewtwo but everything else checks out otherwise.
Feels weird not seeing Ness. Would feel even weirder if Captain Falcon wasn't on there.

I hope Smash Ultimate gets supported for a LOOOOOONG time after release, because I'll kill myself if someone from a game like ****ing Angry Birds or Fortnite gets considered to be as popular/iconic as a Nintendo character and makes it in the next game or so.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why are we rebooting rosters again? The whole theory that Nintendo will reboot the franchise after this is unnecessarily empty in evidence. Sakurai said it may be the last in a while, but that's just in a while or a long period of time. We're still early in the Switch's lifespan, if it sells well to last another 5-6 years, then we have at least another 5-6 years to roll with it before any plans are publicly made. :upsidedown:

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
This is probably the best rebooted roster I’ve seen, my only change would be Lucario to Mewtwo but everything else checks out otherwise.
Disagree. Not every single Pokemon in Smash except Mimikyu should be from Gen 1! Lucario is a good mon to rep other gens.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Disagree. Not every single Pokemon in Smash except Mimikyu should be from Gen 1! Lucario is a good mon to rep other gens.
I don’t like the “Reps” argument tbh, characters should just stand out on their own, they don’t need to “Rep” anything.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If there's a Smash reboot with a Melee amount of characters plus 4 extras...
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultyoshi:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultness::ultvillager:
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultkirby::ultinkling:
:ultsamus::ultridley::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultfox::ultolimar:
:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultrobin:ultcorrin::ultduckhunt::ultsonic:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Your reaction if Paper Mario is revealed.
Great! It's nice to have a playable Toad, and now we have all the prominent main series Mario characters playable!
Great! The original Paper Mario games are fantastic, he has some cool abilities, and now we get to have a character that represents the Mario RPG titles!
****ing finally!
****ing finally!
Surprising, but awesome! He's a personal favorite of mine.
I hate the idea of picking one Champion over the others, but they're still cool, so it's not too much of a bummer.
If she's a clone of Samus then that's cool; if she's unique then I feel the time spent making her should have gone to someone else.
He deserves a spot on the roster, but I don't have much interest in them.
Cool!
I would have preferred some other 7th gen Pokémon, but I guess I'm cool with it.
I like Mimikyu, but not the idea of him as a fighter in Smash.
I really have no interest in her.
I dig it! I liked her already, but the arcade badges made me like her a lot more!
Nice to have a character who represents the X side of the series, and I really like what she has to offer.
I don't have much interest in them, but I'm ok with their inclusion
Interesting choice; I'm down with his inclusion!
See comment above.
Awesome! Didn't expect him to get in so soon, but I'm happy that he did!
A classic NES star with awesome weaponry; he's very much welcome in my book.
It's so awesome having such a classic and iconic video game character playable, I can't wait to have more dream matchups with him.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Why are we rebooting rosters again? The whole theory that Nintendo will reboot the franchise after this is unnecessarily empty in evidence. Sakurai said it may be the last in a while, but that's just in a while or a long period of time. We're still early in the Switch's lifespan, if it sells well to last another 5-6 years, then we have at least another 5-6 years to roll with it before any plans are publicly made. :upsidedown:
I think it was actually the “We may not be able to do this again” comment about bringing back all the veterans that triggered this “OMG, everyone will be cut” speculation.

Personally, if they cut too many, I won’t get the game. The characters are why I play. Since the game is unlikely to have a story mode, there’s nothing else to draw me in. I don’t care if the mechanics are perfect for competitive play. I’m a casual. Give me more characters or I won’t care.

I didn’t get Smash 4 because it was faster than Brawl, I got it for Robin and Mega Man. I didn’t get Brawl because it was slower than Melee, I got it for Subspace Emissary.

Cull the roster and I have no reason to pick up a new game. A cut here or there is fine, but a reboot or purge? I won’t buy it.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I don’t like the “Reps” argument tbh, characters should just stand out on their own, they don’t need to “Rep” anything.
Lucario stands out more on his own than Mewtwo as well. One of the biggest Pokemon of the modern generation.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Your reaction if Papaer Mario is revealed.
Reaction to all of these: Unending rage because all of these characters got in and Isaac didn’t.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Lucario stands out more on his own than Mewtwo as well. One of the biggest Pokemon of the modern generation.
I mean Mewtwo is one of the most popular Pokémon period. In fact if you don’t remember there was so much outcry for him during the Brawl and Pre-Smash 4 DLC days it wasn’t even funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom