• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I’d like Black Knight, but my favorite Fire Emblem villain and most wanted newcomer comes goes to Arvis.

Plus Fire Emblem 4 should get seen more. It’s downright fantastic.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man, I do not like Snake's new final smash at all in that footage.
It's so weak sounding, inaccurate, and I don't even think it references anything. Plus, he looks really janky when he uses it in the air and he's just crouching there floating midair.

It's a shame since we had a perfectly good final smash in SNAKE RIDING METAL GEAR REX.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Lyn does make sense for a new FE character but I don’t think the team was aware of how much of a breakout character she’d become which is why she’s still an Assist.

D

Deleted member

At this point I'm kinda hoping K. Rool gets in just to put this whole debate to rest tbh

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Lyn does make sense for a new FE character but I don’t think the team was aware of how much of a breakout character she’d become which is why she’s still an Assist.
She's always been popular in the community, to the dismay of quite a number of people in the fanbase even before the games got more mainstream.

Thanks to the old self insert LynxMark which was the old RobinxChrom etc.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Dno if these have been posted here yet but some more Ultimate footage.

I don't understand how hard it is to come across Ridley footage, like everyone should play Ridley. Ridley should be the only character in any demo moving forward.

Also the whole not using items thing is actually more distracting than just using them as weird and counter intuiative as that is.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
At this point I'm kinda hoping K. Rool gets in just to put this whole debate to rest tbh
It'll never end. I thought Ridley finally getting in would've been the death of most of the remaining controversy in Smash, but it seems like Waluigi opened up a whole new can of worms.

We could get K. Rool, but people would move on from him within a week and find something else to grumble about.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh no, they're definitely aware at the very least and multiple signs point to this.

Lyn's inclusion in Fire Emblem Warriors as the only non Shadow Dragon/Fateswakening to be included in that game.
Lyn's many, many, many alternates for Fire Emblem Heroes
Lyn winning Fire Emblem Heroes popularity polls before it became apparent it was for new alternates.
In fact, in an interview regarding Fire Emblem Warriors I think one of the developers said that "For Americans, Lyn is the Marth of the West due to her being most of their's first lord" or something akin to that.

But the one defining trait for FE newcomers is that they're recently topical. Roy, Ike (though I do really love him), Robin, Corrin, all of them had games right near the Smash development time.

Basically, if Melee was released 3 years later, she probably would've been a Smash staple by now.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
It'll never end. I thought Ridley finally getting in Smash would've been the death of most of the remaining controversy in Smash, but it seems like Waluigi opened up a whole new can of worms.

We could finally get K. Rool, but people would move on from him within a week and find something else to grumble about.
Geno & Isaac would be the next flavor of the week if we got K.Rool without the sign of them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So long as we're talking about Fire Emblem villains, Hardin would be my pick.

I hope he at least gets a trophy this time. He's such a great but tragic character.

Troykv

Smash Master
Not sure why people are speculating using Google Trends, but I do miss the days when Black Knight was considered a strong contender from after Smash 4 was announced to FE13's announcement. It's amazing how much the speculation community has grown since then.

No. No it would not.:088:

I miss Oasis. He's Still the Strongest Ridley fan. I would love to hear his thoughts on E3 and Sukapon being an Assist Trophy.
The times where Black Knight and Micaiah are the characters people thought it would be possible in Smash...

And then Chrom happened in the Late 2011 and pretty much all the attention moved to him.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Every time I try to write my promotion character analysis, it seems like there’s a harsh thunderstorm in the way to stop me from writing. I could be done with the analysis by tomorrow or today, but right now, the weather is wrecking my internet. :/

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
The times where Black Knight and Micaiah are the characters people thought it would be possible in Smash...

And then Chrom happened in the Late 2011 and pretty much all the attention moved to him.
I'm sure you and I both remember the old debates on the Smash 4 threads on Serenes.

"Ike is gone, Chrom is in"

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm sure you and I both remember the old debates on the Smash 4 threads on Serenes.

"Ike is gone, Chrom is in"
I was not completely into the debates; but I remember people talking about Chrom being a shoo-in and Ike's days as the most popular character were gone.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Caeda had some discussion as well.

Oh the cruel irony that I only realized how great of a character Caeda is when it was too late.

KMDP

Smash Legend
All I ask for Smash Lyn (beyond, you know, being playable) is for them to replace her voice for her FE:W one.

Seriously, I like Lani Minella, but the voice she did for Lyn wasn't exactly fitting for a teenager.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Just nitpicking but you forgot Celica.
Yeah, but come on, she was a Marth clone.

Wait...
That just hit me.

I always assumed Navarre was a Lyn clone due to him being DLC, but honestly, her moveset fits more with Navarre who's renown for his dual-wielding combat style, which Lyn has never used. In fact, the version of Lyn in FEW uses a combat style where her blade is drawn constantly (outside of her special attacks), unlike her original game where she's famous for using Iaijitsu...

Could it be that Navarre was the base and Lyn was the clone, but Lyn was added first as some sort of fan-service and that the only non SD/A/F FE characters are clones!?

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
There's actually quite a bit of footage. Or do you just crave more..
anyway if you havent watched it all then there's plenty on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=smash+ultimate+ridley+vs
Yea it's mostly because I've watched it all XD

And like I know I'm just a fan boy but I am legitimately surprised that every other fight doesn't have him. I mean he's one of two new characters in the demo...

Also huge lack of Samus vs. Ridley match ups...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Wait...
That just hit me.

I always assumed Navarre was a Lyn clone due to him being DLC, but honestly, her moveset fits more with Navarre who's renown for his dual-wielding combat style, which Lyn has never used. In fact, the version of Lyn in FEW uses a combat style where her blade is drawn constantly (outside of her special attacks), unlike her original game where she's famous for using Iaijitsu...

Could it be that Navarre was the base and Lyn was the clone, but Lyn was added first as some sort of fan-service!?
I thought it was confirmed by the devs that Navarre was originally planned for the base game but was moved to DLC because Lyn was more popular. They basically had Lyn inherit the moveset they originally made for Navarre.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I see peoples talking about the Black Knight, and now I'm sad because, alongside Lyn (Rest In Spaghetti), he is still my number 1 FE pick for Smash for various reason.

Tho, before anyone say or ask, I wasn't upset or sad when he was announced as a costume for the Mii (I in fact was quit happy since I use Mii Fighter and that, hey, it does show that Sakurai know about him), with how many FE characters there is now on the roster, whatever chances he have to be a character are probably even lower (tho, Heroes might have help, but I know pretty much nothing about Heroes).

Which is a shame, since I feel like Smash could do interesting stuff with a character in such a big & heavy armor. Plus, out of all the character that could represent the series, having a vilain like The Black Knight, who is generally seen as one of the best vilain in the franchise, could help ease the fact that it might be "another FE character" to some peoples.

Plus, he look just cool, and I like love character in big, menacing medieval armor.
Phantom Slash.

Troykv

Smash Master

Wait...
That just hit me.

Could it be that Navarre was the base and Lyn was the clone, but Lyn was added first as some sort of fan-service!?
I'm sure that was suppose to be Navarre's moveset (and he was supposed to be in the base game like the rest of the Marth's Allies) before it was prioritized to finish Lyn and her animations for the whole Lyn deal.

Edit: Yeah: Opossum Opossum already explained it.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Yea it's mostly because I've watched it all XD

And like I know I'm just a fan boy but I am legitimately surprised that every other fight doesn't have him. I mean he's one of two new characters in the demo...

Also huge lack of Samus vs. Ridley match ups...
I think it's mostly the pros who are giving us footage are just trying to see if they still like their old mains if they're in the demo more than not wanting to use Ridley.

D

Deleted member

I feel at peace with Lyn and her animations and we are kind of Drifting Away from smash

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Phantom Slash.
That's a move.

Don't get me wrong, it's a move I love, because, Spirit Track reference + Big Medieval Armor is a big win, but that ain't a fully fledge character.

Speaking of that move tho, I can't wait to try Ultimate version of it, it look so much better & fun.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I thought it was confirmed by the devs that Navarre was originally planned for the base game but was moved to DLC because Lyn was more popular. They basically had Lyn inherit the moveset they originally made for Navarre.
Well, that makes sense.

I have to wonder why FEW in particular has so many clone characters when the last Warriors games like Warriors All-Stars, Berserk, and HW had less of them.

D

Deleted member

That's a move.

Don't get me wrong, it's a move I love, because, Spirit Track reference + Big Medieval Armor is a big win, but that ain't a fully fledge character.

Speaking of that move tho, I can't wait to try Ultimate version of it, it look so much better & fun.
ya that will be lit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom