• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wonder if Mach Rider will have male and female variants too.

One theory is the female seen is the sole other surivior that Mach Rider is hunting for but the game didn't give much to work with
Mach Rider's melee trophy says it's a he, sorry. :upsidedown: Also, I don't see how you would go to an absolute unit with a six pack to a bootleg ZSS.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Mach Rider's melee trophy says it's a he, sorry. :upsidedown: Also, I don't see how you would go to an absolute unit with a six pack to a bootleg ZSS.
Molded Plastic?
Augh! I thought about Batman and Robin! WHY?!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
But in Smash he's a tactician. And if you switch classes you lose the weapons exclusive to those classes. :^(

I think Robin says he/she/they/them/it? is a tactician in a victory pose and their trophy.
Still makes sense because he can be a Dark Mage in Awakening.

Makes more sense than Ness and Lucas having PK moves they don't even use in their games, at least.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Who here wants to hear my predictions for K Rool moveset?
I think the official K. Rool Support thread is a better place than that but I'm no mod don't quote me on that don't even quote me at all. :4ness:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Technically, he doesn't have to anymore now that Wolf is back. Disappointing, I know - hopefully, he'll find another reason to eat that sandwich in the future.
It was still a sad sight to see knowing he got away with not keeping a promise
But in Smash he's a tactician. And if you switch classes you lose the weapons exclusive to those classes. :^(

I think Robin says he/she/they/them/it? is a tactician in a victory pose and their trophy.
They do call themselves a tactician...and one roasts Lucina just because
Still makes sense because he can be a Dark Mage in Awakening.

Makes more sense than Ness and Lucas having PK moves they don't even use in their games, at least.
Maybe Ness and Lucas learned those other PK moves after their games ended

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I saw someone mention Dry Bowser in the previous page. He's a character I thought of but no one else seems to mention. I kinda wanna see him either as an alternate costume or an echo fighter, since I really like both Dry Bowser and Dry Bones.

(Also, a bit off-topic, but wow, this place is really active, There's many threads I've followed on multiple forums before, and I think this is the first one where I literally can't keep up with all of them because there's so many :p)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I saw someone mention Dry Bowser in the previous page. He's a character I thought of but no one else seems to mention. I kinda wanna see him either as an alternate costume or an echo fighter, since I really like both Dry Bowser and Dry Bones.

(Also, a bit off-topic, but wow, this place is really active, There's many threads I've followed on multiple forums before, and I think this is the first one where I literally can't keep up with all of them because there's so many :p)
It's kinda like the Smash 4 general in it's prime, just a lot less Woodyposting.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I fail to see how any of the starters in that gen look feminine in any way.
Those Gens are the ones without any feminine starters.

I don't know. Not every generation had starters who looked feminine in any way. Generations 1, 3, and 4 are probably the most notable. One could argue that the 5th generation also lacked any feminine-looking starters, but the Snivy family could potentially go either way.
I know they might not do it again next Gen, but it was nice having one like Primarina to pick.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Dry Bowser is an Echo Fighter that I'd really like to see.

He could be Bowser, but his attacks could have slightly different properties. Maybe a change in knockback direction on some of his attacks.

They could also make Dry Bowser's fire breath blue, and make it have an ice attribute. Kinda like how Dark Pit's side b has an electric attribute.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

I made a video about why I think Mach Rider is likely in smash if anyone cares to watch it:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Regarding Mach Rider being given "he" pronouns in the Melee trophy, please note that Japanese doesn't actually have gendered pronouns, so that was added by localization. It's very possible that "he" was used because they wanted to keep the secret, ala referring to Samus as "he" when Metroid released.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I made a video about why I think Mach Rider is likely in smash if anyone cares to watch it:

Nice. I like your theory of meshing Mach Rider and Excitebike together. It's kinda like how I see Urban Champion of the mesh of all the sport-related NES titles that launched with the system (that have the black border boxart).
I think there is another Samurai rep that's possible, but possible as in 1%.

D

Deleted member

I always hear say that Mach Rider is a girl, but is there any official source on that statement?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Regarding Mach Rider being given "he" pronouns in the Melee trophy, please note that Japanese doesn't actually have gendered pronouns, so that was added by localization. It's very possible that "he" was used because they wanted to keep the secret, ala referring to Samus as "he" when Metroid released.
True, but come on.

These are extremely different body types. Not unless you want to make an argument that he's wearing that weird type of ancient armor that had pecs and abs on them in the 22nd century. Wearing ancient armor. In the 22nd century.

I always hear say that Mach Rider is a girl, but is there any official source on that statement?
It's only speculation from the arcade game that showed a woman instead of Mach Rider at the end of a stage. It's argued whether it's a survivor or Mach Rider itself.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That female though...I’d take her in Smash

osby

Smash Obsessed
Those are some good ideas.

And even if not a unique moveset, Mach Rider could potentially be an Echo of Captain Falcon, right?
Mach Rider is not really a highly requested character and retro, so a unique moveset is needed to get in, I think.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Yep the toy is why I thought Mach rider is very possible for the retro rep

And I think sakurai ment it he considered Mach rider especial since his/her which ever it is song was in smash bros titles since melee and it is in smash bros Wii U

Plus he's basicly excite biker but with guns added to he bike

By the way the final smash I think it's going to be a mix of duck hunts final smash and captain falcons final smash
Shooting at them with the bike while riding toward them then ram them like the captain does

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Mach Rider is not really a highly requested character and retro, so a unique moveset is needed to get in, I think.
It's more like not really a highly requested character and retro, but there's nobody better to pick. :p That's my opinion, though. I don't think Lip's considered retro.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Were Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. heavily requested before their Smash debut?

Retros don't really fit the "highly requested" side of things. Either a unique moveset or an Echo could work, especially since Echoes only take very little work when compared to unique fighter.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
True, but come on.

These are extremely different body types. Not unless you want to make an argument that he's wearing that weird type of ancient armor that had pecs and abs on them in the 22nd century. Wearing ancient armor. In the 22nd century.
I'm not saying whether or not Mach Rider is a women, I'm just noting that the trophy isn't a valid argument.

Also, while the first looks very different from the second, it's not like Nintendo hasn't done similarly strange things before. Samus' power suit is notoriously broad shouldered, to the point that neither a woman nor a man could fit inside it without doing serious damage to themselves. This makes her look much more masculine than her actual body type.

It's only speculation from the arcade game that showed a woman instead of Mach Rider at the end of a stage. It's argued whether it's a survivor or Mach Rider itself.
I mean, it's more connected than your statement makes it seem. Each round played slowly revealed a different part of the image, until eventually the final one was shown.

"Each time the player completed a level, an image was gradually revealed of a woman with a dagger standing next to Mach Rider's bike. It is unclear whether this is meant to represent Mach Rider's true identity, or if she is a survivor in the gated community of the resistance, as the only plot text in the game describes the 10 mission scenarios and she is not present in the NES original."

It's ambiguous. Probably on purpose.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Were Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. heavily requested before their Smash debut?

Retros don't really fit the "highly requested" side of things. Either a unique moveset or an Echo could work, especially since Echoes only take very little work when compared to unique fighter.
If not requested or provide a new moveset, why add to the game in the first place?
Yeah, echoes take very little time but they were really popular prior to their addition.
Retro characters weren't popular but they were all really unique fighters.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
This trio:
:ultmario::ultdoc:(Paper Mario)
:rolleyes:
The real set of Mario trios
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultdoc:
:ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina:
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultwario:
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyoshi:
Doubt retros are meant to be highly requested (:ultduckhunt::ultrob:were definitely not highly anticipated characters until they were seen in action)
3 Links :ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:
3 Marths :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy:
3 Falcons :ultfalcon::ultganondorf: (Mach Rider)

Which faction would win?
:ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultroy:or:ultpit::ultpalutena::ultbayonetta:or:ultpeach::ultzelda::ultzss:or:ultfox::ultlucario::ultduckhunt:(:ultwolf:can be a replacement of one of them)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Yep the toy is why I thought Mach rider is very possible for the retro rep

And I think sakurai ment it he considered Mach rider especial since his/her which ever it is song was in smash bros titles since melee and it is in smash bros Wii U

Plus he's basicly excite biker but with guns added to he bike

By the way the final smash I think it's going to be a mix of duck hunts final smash and captain falcons final smash
Shooting at them with the bike while riding toward them then ram them like the captain does
I have to call foul on the toy argument. Not only is the toy completely unrelated to the game, but it's not even an original Nintendo toy. "Mach Rider was produced and marketed by Nintendo in Japan, but it was based on an American toy created by Hasbro." (source)

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If not requested or provide a new moveset, why add to the game in the first place?
Yeah, echoes take very little time but they were really popular prior to their addition.
Retro characters weren't popular but they were all really unique fighters.
I guess we'll have to find out in December then. Because retro reps tends to be kept secret until launch.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not saying whether or not Mach Rider is a women, I'm just noting that the trophy isn't a valid argument.

Also, while the first looks very different from the second, it's not like Nintendo hasn't done similarly strange things before. Samus' power suit is notoriously broad shouldered, to the point that neither a woman nor a man could fit inside it without doing serious damage to themselves. This makes her look much more masculine than her actual body type.

I mean, it's more connected than your statement makes it seem. Each round played slowly revealed a different part of the image, until eventually the final one was shown.

"Each time the player completed a level, an image was gradually revealed of a woman with a dagger standing next to Mach Rider's bike. It is unclear whether this is meant to represent Mach Rider's true identity, or if she is a survivor in the gated community of the resistance, as the only plot text in the game describes the 10 mission scenarios and she is not present in the NES original."

It's ambiguous. Probably on purpose.
That's just her Varia suit though, compare that to just her basic Power suit and then we'll be talking. But there's not a lot of muscle shown on Samus' suit, especially not a whole six-pack on it. Mach Rider doesn't even seem to have a power suit, just dressed up like Mad Max character #462.

We'll only know if Sakurai lets Mach Rider in, or maybe he'll **** with us all by keeping it ambiguous still.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Also, please, guys, can we draw a distinction between traditional retros :ulticeclimbers::ultpit::ultlittlemac: and historical/hardware/legacy/surprise retros :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:? It may not be clear how they're differentiated, but it's clear that they are in some way.

Interestingly, all the traditional retros have also been revealed significantly before launch, while the surprise retros were not.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Also, please, guys, can we draw a distinction between traditional retros :ulticeclimbers::ultpit::ultlittlemac: and historical/hardware/legacy/surprise retros :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:? It may not be clear how they're differentiated, but it's clear that they are in some way.

Interestingly, all the traditional retros have also been revealed significantly before launch, while the surprise retros were not.
Mac wasn't a traditional retro by the time he was revealed because he had a Wii game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I have to call foul on the toy argument. Not only is the toy completely unrelated to the game, but it's not even an original Nintendo toy. "Mach Rider was produced and marketed by Nintendo in Japan, but it was based on an American toy created by Hasbro." (source)
The toy was bought during the smash development so speculation is he was secretly referring to smash on that he didn't specified which game he's using the toy in

Besides didn't you listen sakurai only got it for the gun and r gun resembles Mach riders gun very well

Also :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt: we're not that requested at all

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Do we know if the gun was used for a character though? It could also be used for a boss or stage hazard, etc.

Although the gun looks VERY similar to Mach Rider’s so I think she might actually make it in. Plus Sukapon got in as an assist trophy after Sakurai planned him to be an item, so he might be revisiting ideas this time.

Tho, I’m still hoping that Ayumi makes it through the cracks somehow. Don’t we get like 2 retro characters every game?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Pit stopped being a retro once Uprising came out, same with Little Mac
All that’s left as true and current retros are :ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob:, with :ultlittlemac::ultpit:no longer being so

Ivander

Smash Legend

I don't think the proportions of the suit matter that much.
I'm pretty sure when she's in the Morph Ball form, she's in a tuck and roll position/fetal position/what I'm looking for. It would make the most sense considering her athleticism and whatnot.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Alright, here's a new game: Name 3 songs that you want to have in SSBU, regardless of how likely or unlikely they are to get in. 3 songs that you want to Smash to so badly, you'd let Link near your prized pottery collection for at least 30 seconds, just to ensure that they get into the game. They all must be from different franchises. Songs from all franchises owned by Nintendo and their 2nd parties, Sega, Konami, Capcom, Bandai Namco, and Square Enix are all fair game, but no music from games not developed/published by any of these companies.

They put seven rings in hand in smash but not one of best final boss songs from the series smh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom