• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchess

Smash Lord
My personal favorites were the ones with some development insight. The Lip one is interesting because it gives a reasoning for the "Echo Fighters" branding. My only thing with it is the amount of characters that were cut. I find it hard to believe that any characters would be cut during development in this game. There's no reason for it in my opinion.

I would love to see Lip though. I'm holding out for her.
The part about Bewear is interesting too. I'm not into Pokemon, so this may be me being ignorant, but I've never heard of Bewear being considered a mascot for this generation.

It also made more sense of Belmont inclusion that's rumored as I could never convince myself before that Nintendo would want him enough to go through the legal hassle of getting his rights. It makes way more sense if Snake is held hostage.

That whole leak just sounds credible somehow in comparison to the rest (still think it's fake though)

Troykv

Smash Master
The 4chan Text Leaks Character Count
Buckle up because this is going to be a long post.

Introduction
So I did it. Before you all told me to do it I did it. I took count of characters mentioned in 4chan text leaks from Nintendo's E3 2018 presentation up until now to see how many times each character was mentioned. 4 hours, 80+ pages of 4chan, and about 30 posts later, I have this to present. Thankfully, nothing too bad was posted in terms of images, so my small amount of innocence is relatively untarnished. Regardless, don't try this at home.

Criteria for Post Selection

• Leaks with disconfirmed characters were automatically thrown out (with 1 exception that explains disconfirmed characters being in) (Leaks with Waluigi were also considered exceptions)
  • Leaks with blatantly fake screenshots were also thrown out
  • I excluded leaks before Nintendo's E3 2018 presentation as likely candidates for fake leaks at the time (Takamaru, Krystal, etc) are already disconfirmed, thus proving those leaks fake. These leaks were additionally disqualified as the only correct pre-E3 leak is Vergeben's leak, and many Pre-E3 leaks predicted reveals that never happened.
  • I also excluded threads where people claim that a specific character will make it in. Threads like "This is your next Smash newcomer" or "This character will be in Smash, discuss" are common to the point where they're made fun of. Plus, then the list would have 10 different counts for Reimu from Touhou because 1 guy keeps posting about her. It's ridiculous.
So, with exclusions out of the way, what is the criteria for a post being selected? Selected posts must do one of the following:
  • Present a full roster and attempt to pass it off as fact
  • Claim to have a "source"
  • Provide other information about the game or development
  • Provide other Nintendo or industry relevant information (i.e. Nintendo Direct dates and reveals)
The Count

Other Smash Bros. Claims
Some fake leakers go above and beyond and provide details about potential gameplay, modes, and development. I've logged those here. Original thread links are above each claim
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421321451/miscellaneous-smash-stuff
- Simon Belmont is not a newcomer, this came out of ****ing nowhere. Ridley was fairly common insider knowledge (E3 characters always are lol, Romano/Gematsu leaker obviously only strictly knew about these) but Simon I think was started by someone and seemingly corroborated by other "insiders" who are probably just piggybacking
- Geno is actually one being tossed around by a host of reputable industry insiders, specifically from someone tied to the PMBR and Brawl modding scene who is trustworthy for a lot of reasons
- The palette swaps all suck and we have barely any new ones, which is probably something only I care about but still
- Dev team is taking advice from top players super seriously, whatever suggestions the top Melee/Smash 4/etc. players are giving in their overview vids are highly likely to make it into the final game
- Stage in Fox screenshots is not FD
- Meta Ridley is patently not an Echo fighter like I've caught based Reddit ******* saying
- Idk that's all I know
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420155858/#420155858
* Simon Belmont will be revealed soon, only Guest Character debuting in the base roster of Smash Ultimate. Goemon and Gradius Ship are in as Assist Trophies alongside Bomber.

* Very rough development cycle---getting Snake back led to Konami basically "holding him hostage" in exchange for including a second Konami character. Sakurai chose Simon. Increased the workload more than expected.

* Eight fully new Nintendo characters planned, only four made it to base roster---Inklings, Ridley, K. Rool, and Lip.

* Inklings represent Nintendo's "future", and a style unique in Smash Bros.

* Ridley and K. Rool are included due to popularity, lots of effort went into ensuring they felt "just right"---Ridley in particular balancing him, and K. Rool capturing his personality. Top priority characters, may have led to cut corners elsewhere.

* Lip a "goal post shifting" character---as the years go by, what's retro changes. Moving on from NES to SNES. Also due to ever-expanding availability of the Internet, characters being limited to one region of the world is no longer an issue. Received support from the global community.

* Bewear was Sakurai's favorite of the Sun and Moon Pokemon. Planned to be playable, but ultimately became a PokeBall. Considered the "Pokemon mascot" among the PokeBall Pokemon by the team, thus chosen to lead that part of the Direct.

* Geno and Dixie planned, but cut. Future DLC is possibility, neither exist in the game outside of a Tropical Freeze model of Dixie as a Trophy.

* Rex & Pyra were worked on alongside Monolith Soft, but issues with both XB2 and Smash Ultimate worried both parties as to which would release first---but significant work was done on them and may appear very soon as DLC.

* Daisy was planned as simply a clone of Peach, Impa was planned as a clone of Sheik---they, Dark Pit, and Lucina would have own #s. "Echos" re-branding came later as the possibility of a decent roster of true newcomers became less likely, and the team wanted to include more bonus characters to make up for it. In addition to Impa who will be revealed eventually, the team managed to work out Funky Kong (DK), Alm (Roy), Plusle and Minun (Pichu)---they're not a tag-team, just one character and you choose between the two---and Ken (Ryu).
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420169652/#420169652
1. Every stage from all games will be added into the game. The goal is to get every stage ready by release if not, each stage will be added to the game in upcoming patches free of charge.

2. Spring Man along with Echo Fighters Dark Samus (Samus), Octolings (Inklings), and Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) will be announced for Smash Bros. Ultimate in the coming months.

3. The Smash Ballot will return in a slightly new form, although the Ballot is now split into three categories:
- Player's Choice
- Echo Who?
- Voting Booth
Players can now vote for their favorite video game character via a Ballot feature in Smash Bros. Ultimate in a patch after the game's release. Player's Choice will be the traditional Ballot we have seen before, Echo Who? will provide a fill-in box along with a category selection of what character you'd like to see Echo'd. And Voting Booth will provide pre-selected characters, stages, and other potential content to be added into the game. ( Note, even though a character may be an existing Assist Trophy or Skin doesn't mean that a vote for them will go to waste).

4. Nintendo plans on hosting regular tournaments, although this may just be a roadshow for promoting the game before and after release.

5. Smash is planned to be serviced for at least 2 years. Although, they plan on leaving a small team to update and patch the game for 8 months after the game's last content.

6. No planned DLC as of yet.

7. The Switch App will include a function to change your Smartphone into a controller.

8. There may be more than 8 Player Smash, within technical reasoning.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420181079/#420181079
Simon Belmont was actually a Konami request believe it or not. Sakurai actually had no intention of adding him into the game, but did at Konami's request.

Can't show pics or videos, however, at least 3 sources have come up to me stating this info. Nintendo is on the prowl for any and all leaks this time.

Trailer Wolf is from an earlier build. He'll look much better in the final game.

I'll say this now: DLC exists. Your favorites from various franchises will be there Sora. Classic mode is also back along with Adventure mode from Melee. Smash run from 3DS is in too, though its modified."

"From what I understand, Sakurai asked Phil for Banjo, but Phil wanted Rash to be in the base game in exchange to help the new Battletoads game coming in 2019. Banjo has a shot at being a DLC character if fans request hard enough, as Sakurai is now listening to character requests that are possible."
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420812206/#420812206
The demo didn't have all the Assist Trophies in Smash available.
Allow me to reveal the ones you didn't see in the demo.

Pirhana Plant
Jimmy T.
Magnus
Bubbles
Wanda
Dillon
Lana
Cranky Kong
Lloyd Irving
Slime
Arle & Carbuncle
Raiden
Roll
Chun-Li
Pheonix Wright
Vic Viper
Like-Like
Celica
Ninjara
Lolo and Lala
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420792925/#420792925
It has a lot of modes, some returning, some new, but not every mode ever is back.

The regular battle modes are smash, special smash, 8 player smash, and rotation smash.

Rotation Smash is a mode where you choose a character for every stock, so if you picked Mario, Donkey Kong, and Link, if you die as Mario you'd become Donkey Kong, and so on. Smash Run is back, and now features online, and players being connected, meaning if you are next to each other, you'll see each other. Break the targets, board the platforms, and multi man smash are all back.

New modes of that kind are Smash Hill, where players or teams fight to stay inside the area for the right amount of time, and Hop the Gap, where you jump over a gap and try to get over it, with 5 different levels of gaps. Each character has there own set of 5. Characters like Little Mac's are relatively easy and simple, well characters like Kirby have much longer and challenging gaps to cross.

There is no story mode, but there is a Smash Castle, where you take on many challenges, including new boss fights such as Dynablade, King K.Rool, Mr.Belch, Boom Boom, and Divine Beast.

New assist trophies include Krystal, Duster, Bomberman, Andy, and Sukapon.

New items include Bomber, Launch Star, Fake Smash Ball, Banana, and Fly Swatter.

New Pokéballs include Alolan Vulpix, Lunala, Rowlet, Rockruff, and Alolan Raichu.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420298709/#420298709
I don't know a whole lot about the other characters in Ultimate but I know a few things from the Pokemon side of things

Stage
>Saffron City, Lumiose City, Spear Pillar, Pokemon Stadium 2 will return
>Altar of the Sunne/Moone is a stage, depending on your time, it will either be Sunne or Moone.
>No Poke Floats

Poke Ball
>Nihilego works like Metroid
>Eevee returns
>Alolan Exeggutor will smash its head everywhere for a while
>Cosmog will teleport you to a random place
>Rowlet will use leafage
>Popplio replaces Oshawott
>Alolan Raichu surfs with an electrical spark around it.
>Rockruff will tackle you off the stage
>Alolan Vulpix freezes you

Fighters
>Pikachu gets the hat from the girl from Sun/Moon, Libre outfit and Ash's hat from season 1
>Red's girl counterpart will be in the game as well. She's voiced by Lisa Ortiz I think
>Lucario's final smash is the same as in Brawl except it mega evolves.
>Mewtwo and Jigglypuff haven't changed. Jigglypuff gets a new alt (Lillie's hat).
>Pichu is actually a lot better now too, despite it still damaging itself. One of the alts is Spiky Eared Pichu from HeartGold and SoulSilver. It's Final Smash is the same as Pikachu's
>Greninja's final smash is the same, but it will transform into Ash-Greninja now.
>The new fighter will not be Incineroar or Decidueye as many people have thought, but its Mimikyu. It's really slow but it does deal a lot of damage. It's really creepy too. Its final smash is Let's Snuggle Forever which is essentially covering as many opponents as it can and beating them up while covered in its disguise.

I do know of one other fighter that's coming to the game that isn't Pokemon. but I wanna keep them a suprise.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421087110/#421087110
I got forwarded Smash Ultimate info. There were at least 5 sources worth of info available to me. Sakurai has stated that we won't be seeing a lot of new comers, but what you all aren't being told is that we are only getting 8 more characters. They are in no order:
Simon Belmont
Shantae
Shovel Knight
Dark Samus (Echo)
K.Rool
Dixie
Rash
Geno+Mallow (Tag team)

Geno and Mallow are a tag team, but unlike Nana, Mallow cannot be KO'd. Shantae and Shovel Knight were respectively requests from their developers and due to massive fan demand. K.Rool is in due to massive fan demand from Japan. Dark Samus is the only new Echo Fighter, as Dixie has her own moves and movement options due to her hair and guitar respectively. Simon was request from Konami and Rash was a request from Phil Spencer. Simon uses his weapons from the games and has the stop watch has his final smash. Rash has the Speeder Bike as a special move and it is one of the fastest special moves in the game. Rash's trailer also mentions Killer Instinct 2013 as self referential humor.

Chorus Men, Issac and Shadow are all confirmed (as least in the info I got) Assist Trophies. Shadow was almost considered for Sonic's echo fighter, but Sakurai thought it disrespectful to the character and he remained an AT.

The game itself is being made more accessible to the competitive community, but the main audience is still casual players. Sakurai himself is going to nerf Bayo in the ground, possibly limiting her combos to the ground only. Its mentioned to me that the E3 demo we (as expected) is about 1 build behind what the team is playing now. Sakurai wants the game to have a speed closer to melee but not exactly like melee.

Ask me anything else you guys want answered and I'll do my best.
As far as I know, event mode wasn't even considered for Ultimate, as the team is more concerned getting the massive roster ready for launch.
Sakurai was actually down with the idea of having a Battletoad in the game. As for Banjo, he IS in the game, but as a trophy, and there IS the possibility of him being a DLC character at a later date.
Sakurai is nerfing Bayonetta into the ground. He's going to make sure ladder combos are no longer possible. He also wants the game to be closer in speed to Melee. It's been mentioned as well that hitstun will be changed. For better or worse I don't know.
Phil brought up both Banjo and Rash and Sakurai was more down with Rash than Banjo at least on launch, particularly Rash's moveset was easier to make, model, and program. Banjo does still have a fairly high chance at being a DLC character.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421264226/#421264226
Other cool facts

New assist trophies

There we’ll be new and returning assist trophies. Issac(Golden Sun),Tifa(Final Fantasy), Chun-Li(Street Fighter),Chibi-Robo,Phoenix Wright(Ace Attorney), Barbara(Jam with The Band),Gray Fox(Metal Gear),Captain Syrup(Wario Land), Qbby(BoxBoy!), Shantae( Shantae), Mumbo Jumbo(Banjo-Kazooie)

Adventure Mode

There we’ll be an adventure mode in the game very similar to melees adventure mode.You well adventure from iconic Nintendo worlds fighting minions and such. Sometimes you well fight bosses from these worlds including bosses such as Wart,Vaati,Marx,Kraid,Porky, Rayquaza,Tabuu, and Master/Crazy hand. No info on is master fortress well return or if there we’ll be more bosses then the ones I listed.

Indies and other 3rd parties

Rayman,Minecraft,and Shovel Knight we’ll be the only 3rd parties without playable characters to receive a stage. However this game we’ll have a few more 3rd party representation through trophies. Characters from street fighter and Final fantasy for example. Even indies like Cave story we’ll be represented through trophies.Something interesting to keep in mind their we’ll be 3rd party items such as the lance from ghost n goblins.

Other stuff

>smash tour and Smash run we’ll be returning
>Classic Break the Targets is back
>For glory we’ll only be omega stages no final destination versions

Other Nintendo/Industry Claims
Some Smash leaks also contained Nintendo-related claims (like Nintendo Direct dates and reveals) which I've compiled here. I also compiled some misc. Nintendo and Industry "leaks" here as well because I thought that they're: a) interesting and b) in the same category as Smash leaks.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421117367/#421117367
on July 12th, a Direct Mini will happen focusing on Nintendo 3DS games coming later this year and early 2019.

> Luigi's Mansion will release in sept 14th
> Yo-Kai Watch Busters coming in Sept 28th
> Wario Land (VB remake) coming in Oct 19th, developed by SKIP
> New wave of Nintendo Selects in October (FE Awakening, Smash 3DS and Mario Tennis)
> Yo-Kai Watch 3 Sushi/Tempura coming in Nov 9th
> Zelda Link's Awakening remake coming in Nov 16th, Only for 3DS (no Switch), Special N2DS Shield edition (Europe and Japan), New amiibo
> New Pokémon Mystery Dungeon coming, Late 2018 in Japan, Early 2019 overseas
> Paper Mario Color Splash coming to 3DS and Switch in Spring 2019
> Mario & Luigi Bowser Inside Story coming in January 2019 (feb in some regions)
> Detective Pikachu 2 in the works, 2019

> N64 mini announcement in a few weeks
> Nindies Direct in August
> NSMBU Deluxe, Xenoblade Chronicles X and the Wonderful 101 Switch ports will be announce this year.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420503887/#420503887
Reveal 1: Picks up immediately where the last one completes. Samus divekicks towards Ridley but he grabs her and slams her against the ground. He drops her and prepares to impale her with his claw, but it's stopped by a whip. Reveal Simon. Tagline is, "Simon Belmont whips up a storm!"

Reveal 2: Pikachu fights other characters on a stage (I think it's the new Pokemon Stadium). Reveal Mimikyu hiding behind some stage terrain, watching the battle. He hears everyone cheering for Pikachu as it defeats its opponents. Pikachu walks by Mimikyu's hiding spot, he pulls him into the darkness, you hear some cartoon fighting, and then Mimikyu pops out. Reveal is first, "Pikachu shocks the competition!" before the music stops and "Mimikyu scares up some fun!" is slapped over it.

Reveal 3: I don't know much about how this one works out other than that my friend said that it features Ashley and Shadow, seemingly as friends. Comedic one that plays on them both being kind of dark and brooding.

Reveal 4: King K. Rool beating up DK, Diddy, and Ness. Funky Kong bi-plane fires at him, then Funky Kong surfs into battle and stands alongside his pals. Something along the lines of, "Funky Kong makes some waves!"

Reveal 5: This one starts with footage from the Smash Bros Ultimate reveal where they kill Waluigi. We instead follow him down the abyss until he lands unceremoniously in mud. Long story short, he tries to get back into Smash by writing his name down as Geno. He finally appears, dressed haphazardly as Geno, in a Forest Maze-esque stage where he surprises Luigi, Pikachu, and Villager by popping out along with the tagline, "Geno strings up his foes!" The real Geno appears and immediately defeats him, and once again the tagline appears. Waluigi sulks in the dirt, until Luigi pulls him up, dusts him off. Tagline finally says, "Waluigi inches over the finish line!"
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420660542/#420660542
August Direct

>Simon Belmont reveal for Smash
>Castlevania Switch Collection
>Yoshi release date
>New FE Three Houses trailer showing different classes
>Dark Souls Remastered
>Splatoon 2 update
>Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 ReMix
>New Switch Headset w/Mic Smash Bros themed
>Online details for Smash (modes, online, rank)
>Sora reveal for Smash
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421082439/#421082439
New Nintendo Direct next month. Includes
>new Pikmin
>new Wii U ports (W101, 3DW, SF0)
>new Animal Crossing
>new F-Zero
>new Donkey Kong
>Daemon X Machina showcase
>short Metroid Prime 4 teaser, 2020
>3DS games (new Wario Land, new Brain Age, new Cooking Mama, new IP, Kirby 64 remake)
>short teaser for 1 Smash Ultimate newcomer
>SIMON BELMONT WILL BE REVEALED IN A DIRECT LATER THIS SUMMER AS A NEWCOMER ALONG WITH DRACULA'S CASTLE AS A STAGE
>A STAGE BASED ON MINECRAFT WILL ALSO BE SHOWN ALONG WITH A CREEPER TROPHY
>THE FOOTAGE FROM THE RIDLEY REVEAL AT THE E3 2018 DIRECT WAS TAKEN STRAIGHT FROM ADVENTURE MODE WHICH WILL BE REVEALED IN THE SAME DIRECT.
>AMIIBOS OF INKLING, DAISY, RIDLEY AND SIMON BELMONT WILL BE SHOWN
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421203208/#421203208
>early august direct has trailer with King K Rool and Funky Kong
>october direct has trailer with Simon Belmont and Ashley
>launch direct will show Geno and the first DLC character Isaac (to be released early next year)
>Shadow, Medusa, Dark Samus, Mach Rider, and Metal Mario won't have trailers
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421426667/smash-leaks
Settling the score here, some of you have already figured it out, but here's the scoop.
Waluigi is in. His moveset isn't entirely sports based. His theme is 'Wacky' but not like a joke character.
I'm not revealing much in the interest of still keeping things as a surprise.
Here's some background information. Waluigi wasn't seen during any of the gameplay at E3, this is intentional. This all leads into the next direct.
Remember when he got KO'd in the assist trophy trailer?

>Direct pulls a 'one more thing' and goes on about a new fighter in smash.
>Cut to scene 1, object is flying through the sky, ala team rocket.
>Second cut is a zoomed in shot on Delfino Plaza, with an increasingly louder "Waaa" in the distance
>loud thud, and glass breaking can be heard. Waluigi's hat falls on screen. Camera then slowly zooms out and reveals a broken assist trophy
>Waluigi's feet seen kicking and stomping the assist trophy.
>picks up hat
>zooms out to putting hat on
>WALUIGI REVEAL

Source: I am the dad who works at Nintendo.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421565210/anime-smash-brothers
Ok, so a source came to me with something really really interesting that I have to share. So apparently Microsoft approached Arc System works Early 2017 to work on an exclusive smash brothers like game featuring iconic anime characters from not just Shonen Jump but multiple anime company’s.

>Now not all negotiations went through but from source he tells me that the following company’s have given the studio permission to use there characters

1.Weekly Shonen Jump
2.weekly Shonen magazine
3.A-1 Pictures
4.Studio trigger
5.Rooster teeth

>Apparently Microsoft had to fork over a bit more money than they expected to get the rights for some of these series and to get the Shonen boys to play nice.This project is expected to make double the amount that Nintendo ended up making with smash Wii U and smash 3ds

>the series involved that he has told me are as followed

Dragon ball
Naruto
One piece
Bleach
Fairy tail
Attack on titan
Kill la kill
Little witch academia
My hero academia
Sword art online
Death Note
RWBY
Yu-gi-oh
Jojo’s
Toriko
Gintama
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hunter X hunter
Nisekoi
Seven deadly sins
BOBOBO BO-BO BOBO
Assassination Classroom
Hajime no Ippo

And many others

>expect to be shown early 2019 with a Late 2019/early 2020 release.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420128189/#420128189
Hello everyone! Despite all the Smash hype, I have some other hype as well! I know someone who works in Nintendo, and he told me that they're making a new Mario Kart game! He told me that they have the characters in mind, and here they are:

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Bowser, Bowser Jr. Donkey Kong, Wario, Waluigi, Yoshi, Toad, Toadette, Metal Mario, Gold Metal Mario, Pink Metal Peach, Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, all the babies and all the Koopalings are returning.

Link, both villagers, Isabelle, King Boo, Dry Bowser, Dry Bones, and Lakitu are being cut.

Honey Queen, Diddy Kong, and Funky Kong are returning after years of not being in the game.

The new characters of the game are going to be Baby Bowser, Baby Toad, Captain Toad, Boom Boom, and Pow Pow.

My friend also told me a few of the stages. They're going to remove the four cups that were from the DLC, because of Link and any character relating to Animal Crossing being cut. But on the good news, they are going to put Choco Mountain and Rainbow Road from the Gamecube into the game.

My friend told me that they were also going to add one game mechanic. They were going to have triple items.
Demo is being released at the end of July
One mode, just regular Smash
12 characters, the SSB64 roster
8 stages:
>Final Destination
>Battlefield
>Dreamland 64
>Great Plateau Tower
>Yoshi's Story
>Pokemon Stadium
>Lylat Cruise
>Town and City
Here's the cool thing: You can actually play online on this. Both For Glory and For Fun.
oh and with friends too of course
Misc. Posts from /v/
While most of my browsing was marked with rage, insults, hype, misinformation, and the "Port vs. New Game" debate, I found some legitimately funny/wholesome posts that I'd like to share with you guys.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420118518/#420118518
>DMC5
>RE2 Remake
>Todd Howard is self-aware
>Ridley in Smash
>KH3 actually has a release date
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/419995818/#419995818
>Direct starts
>reggie comes onto stage
>it's like that time when reggie fought iwata with that cool animation
>but Iwata ded. Rip in peace
>reggie seeks new opponent
>A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES
>
>
>
>A SILHOUTTE
>****ing Phil Spencer fighting with Reggie
>Master Chief, Joanna Dark and Banjoo & Kazooei are playable characters in Smash 5
>Nintendo wins E3
>AGAIN!
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420159350/#420159350
The curse has been lifted. The reason I have been an antagonist over the past four years over Smash 4 was not because I didn't like the game, but because Masahiro Sakurai's stubbornness and making fun of the fans who play his games. His stubbornness rubbed off on me in an extremely negative way, seeing the director of one of my favorite series just not give a **** about his job.

But he's shown he can learn. Even after saying he'd never do it out of principle, he's added Ridley. He fought tooth and nail to make sure everyone's favorites came back, including Snake, which must have been a huge pain in the ***. He also has added alt costumes and genders for characters which was definitely a highly requested feature. He made alt characters. He added DAISY. He's added some advanced techniques, and added a system that punishes overly defensive play, a huge problem with Smash 4. He's also doing other quality of life adjustments he would have been way too lazy to do with Smash 4.

For once I am filled with hope for Smash, and I needed some hope for my hobby after Fallout died on sunday. Looking at how Sakurai is changing makes me reflect on myself. If an old Japanese man can make changes for the better, why can't I? I promise I will try being nicer to people here.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420404745/#420404745
Kill la kill is practically confirmed for Smash bros ultimae with the new Arc game and announcement
>ArcxKLK game on switch
>Ryoko/Satsuki as a fighter
>Mako as an assist trophy

The logic is flawless
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420314829/#420314829
Like other individuals with autism, my brother is not great with social skills. He wants to engage with others, but he cannot hold a conversation about things he does not like. As such, he would try to talk with anyone about Young Link who seemed to care. Because I was basically the only one who did, I would hear the same discussion about Young Link on almost a daily basis. Even when I moved away from home for college, every time I came back, he would ask me again why Young Link was not in Smash.

Then we come to yesterday. I had to see it with my brother. At the kitchen table at my parents' house, my brother and I watched the Direct together. As a Nintendo fan, he was enraptured by the entire presentation, and when it came time for the Smash portion, his immediate question was, "Is Young Link coming back?" He continued to watch, his eyes glued to the screen.

For those of you who were watching the presentation closely, you'll know that Toon Link makes a brief appearance before Young Link dives in. Upon seeing Toon Link, my brother groaned for a half-second, but once he saw Young Link, he lost it. He began shouting Young Link's name over and over again, stood up from his chair, and shouted the name some more. When he managed to sit back down, he was able to immediately point out Young Link in the massive, scrolling group shot of all the characters.

I have not seen his eyes light up like this for a long time. With his autism, anxiety, and OCD, he struggles often to feel calm and happy. He has even enjoyed video games less these days because his tics and anxiety make it difficult for him to sit down and play. That said, he has always loved Smash and to see his favorite character return was magical for him, something that broke him out from his daily, tough monotony. Even hours after the presentation, he spoke excitedly about the news and stated that he has not been this happy since his high school graduation
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420269438/#420269438
Triple f***in' D is back.
Back to smash that a**.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420262118/#420262118
> Smash 4 announced
> Only 2 new characters revealed (Villager and Megaman)
This is okay

> Smash 5 announced
> 2 new characters (Inkling and Ridley) plus a new "echo" character (Daisy), and a bunch of returning forgotten veterans (Young Link, Pichu, Snake, Ice Climbers)
F***ING Sakurai

Links to threads/archives
This is quite literally all the links to every thread/archive I used for the count if you want to take a look for yourself.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421357682/smash-bros-ultimate-leak
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421327447/screenshot-this
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421631709/super-smash-brothers-ultimate (this picture has been posted multiple times)
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421629567/smash-leak
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421678304
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421575884/heres-your-smash-ultimate-roster
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421544445/these-are-your-smash-ultimate-newcomers
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421481127/super-smash-bros-ultimate-leaked-by
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421437831/super-smash-bros-ultimate-leaks
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/421426667/smash-leaks
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420041672/#420041672
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420155858/#420155858
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420169652/#420169652
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421030878/
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420818706/#420818706
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420812206/#420812206
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420792925/#420792925
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420660542/#420660542
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420588898/#420588898
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420503887/#420503887
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420485156/#420485156
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421117367/#421117367
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421264226/#421264226
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421203208/#421203208
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421160485/#421160485

Analysis
With all this information, what do we make of it?

Nothing really, because all of these leaks are likely fake. I think the characters in the upper values (8+) are seen as safe picks for credibility, and then you sprinkle your leak with whatever the f*** you want to make it unique.

I did find two interesting things however. First, this cryptic leak suggesting 7 newcomers:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421509603/#421509603
So I got this pretty odd info from a mostly reliable source. It's a little cryptic so take it with a grain of salt.
He claims to know that 7 unique newcomers are left. Of these 7:
-More are sole representativesrather than additions to already repped franchises
-More are rarely discussed characters rather than common predictions among the Smash community
-Only one console of origin is shared between several of them
-2 are antagonists
-More fight strictly as a single character rather than alongside other character(s)
-There's more non-humans than humans
-All have been acknowledged in a game (outside of Smash and rereleases) within the last 4 years
-All come from franchises that have seen international releases
There will be echo fighters, but because of the differences in when and how echoes are created, he doesn't know any of them.

Second, the really interesting piece, I found two seemingly identical leaks. Now, this could mean nothing considering the nature of leaks piggybacking off of each other, and the fact that the two leaks seem to contradict themselves, but I found it interesting regardless.
Thread links for ease of viewing:

That's all that I've got. I plan on updating this count as more text leaks appear and characters get confirmed/deconfirmed. I also intend to use this post to serve as a hub of sorts for leaks with timers on them (specific reveals, directs, etc.) If you could please tag me when bringing up a text leak of any sort so that I may add it to the count it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :b:
This is quite interesting; the leaks overall seems to support the idea of K. Rool; also there is a lot of comments about Ashely, Geno and Simon; this is a quite interesting read; thanks buddy.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sorry the option changes I dont know how to upload pictures.
See that picture of a mountain and sun in the text box? Click on that.

Then click on the button on the top left with the arrow pointing up. That says upload image. Now either drag your image into the provided box or click on the empty box and it'll send you to search for your files to upload.

Pakky

Smash Hero
This stuff is interesting, not many of them mention Pokemon

Rash, would be weird though not impossible

No BWD is a little weird in the last two.

Regardless the Rool love its great.

Though, Simon I can believe, but the fact that no one tries to BS Springman makes me think he's in the base roster.

Which would be ridiculous, BUT if we stop to think about say:ultsonic: back in Brawl, he had a bunch of animations from other figthers.

Does Springman have abilties already on the roster?

YES

:ultlucario: Rage

:4link: Tornado assets

:ultmewtwo::ultfalco::ultfox: parry or a reflect

:ultzss: Stun assets

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What echo clones would you like to see in the game?

I want Ninten. I loved playing Mother 1 and I’ll never complain about more Mother representation.

Shroob

Sup?
Another thing I find odd is suddenly everyone and their mom is making Funky an echo of DK, but would Sakurai even know about Funky Mode during development?

Considering the re-release came out this year, and the roster has prrroooooobably been finalized for awhile now, I really don't buy it.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Another thing I find odd is suddenly everyone and their mom is making Funky an echo of DK, but would Sakurai even know about Funky Mode during development?

Considering the re-release came out this year, and the roster has prrroooooobably been finalized for awhile now, I really don't buy it.
Roster was finalized somewhere probably a few months to a year after DLC.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

Why does the Funky Mode matter?

Takasmash

Smash Ace
See that picture of a mountain and sun in the text box? Click on that.

Then click on the button on the top left with the arrow pointing up. That says upload image. Now either drag your image into the provided box or click on the empty box and it'll send you to search for your files to upload.
I try its aint working man no one aint going to see my awesome roster.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

Echos (being originally just skins turned into even clonier clones) aren't that difficult to develop I'd think. (just my opinion). Hasn't it been a Smash tradition for fighters/clones to be implemented into the roster at the last second? (I swear I remember it being so. Wasn't snake a situation like that?)

Anyways, I think Sakurai would have had sufficient time to throw in Funky if he wanted to

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Funky was arguably one of the least relevant DK characters before it. Only now that Funky Mode happened do I see people clamoring him to be a DK Echo.
He's been in more DK games than Dixie Kong and was even in Mario Kart.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
By the way, loving the icon, Rocket.
Thanks, you would hate the past me. I used to be homophobic as **** but it turns out I am one of those people who turned out to be gay/bi.

I'm sure the roster was finalized before the re-release started development.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Echos (being originally just skins turned into even clonier clones) aren't that difficult to develop I'd think. (just my opinion). Hasn't it been a Smash tradition for fighters/clones to be implemented into the roster at the last second? (I swear I remember it being so. Wasn't snake a situation like that?)

Anyways, I think Sakurai would have had sufficient time to throw in Funky if he wanted to
The thing is, Daisy was announced when development is still continuing. Maybe this time Sakurai wants to give us some fan favourites who can't get into roster otherwise without leaving it last minute.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

If it's like Smash 4's clones were, echos weren't decided as part of the planning process, but became full characters during the later parts of development to pad out the roster.

Tropical Freeze switch was announced this past January, so it was into development during 2017 alongside Smash. It's not an impossibility that the shared development time prompted consideration of a Funky alt/costume that eventually became its own fighter.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I mean, yeah he's been 'in' them, as a shopkeeper.

That'd be like if Beedle became playable for a Zelda rep.
But we're talking about dash fighters and Funky would be practically be a shoe-in considering he's well known and he's shaped identically to DK.

Shroob

Sup?
If it's like Smash 4's clones were, echos weren't decided as part of the planning process, but became full characters during the later parts of development to pad out the roster.

Tropical Freeze switch was announced this past January, so it was into development during 2017 alongside Smash. It's not an impossibility that the shared development time prompted consideration of a Funky alt/costume that eventually became its own fighter.
But then the question is, what does that make of Dixie and K.Rool?

I really doubt Sakurai would work on Tropical Freeze related stuff without Dixie(Especially since Diddy losing his tail whips is highly suspect), but I cannot imagine a world where all three of Dixie, K.Rool and Funky get onto the roster.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Assuming Funky isn't an echo of DK, I think he can be made a pretty interesting fighter with DLC.

Have it homage Funky Mode in the Switch port of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and give him a small learning curve. Like Mario and Kirby, he could be a "simple" fighter that allows newer players to integrate better with the heavyweights.

Really honestly the only legit reason I want him is so I can play Smash while hearing his recycled voice clips from Mario Kart Wii........................................

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know....

Dark Pit and Lucina were echo fighters because they were originally costumes.

Does that mean Daisy was originally a costume or was it more of a Melee and Brawl situation where certain characters were set aside for possible echo fighters?

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I mean, yeah he's been 'in' them, as a shopkeeper.

That'd be like if Beedle became playable for a Zelda rep.
I've been saying this for a while. People just can't seem to accept the one, true Zelda newcomer.

Thanks, you would hate the past me. I used to be homophobic as **** but it turns out I am one of those people who turned out to be gay/bi.
Ahhh, well, I'm glad things turned out well in the end. And it's alright; can't really judge you based on your past too much. A good amount of people in the community go through that stage of denial at some point.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
i'll believe geno and king k if and when i see it.
a THIRD 2 in 1 charatcer?
a character nintendo has left on side of the road for years? (king k)
i have a hard time believing the characters in match perfectly with what fans want. never seen that happen before. and the reason is fans dont really know what they want they just think they do.
golcen sun character in smash just seems increibly unlikely. nintnedo has more relvant nindie rpgs.
shantae is my preferred choice over Stevie or shovel knight she has more moveset potential

also stop making predictions based on the CSS screen visual setup. that is among the most ridiculous claims on the thread outside people claiming they know who did well in the ballot.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
You know....

Dark Pit and Lucina were echo fighters because they were originally costumes.

Does that mean Daisy was originally a costume or was it more of a Melee and Brawl situation where certain characters were set aside for possible echo fighters?
I personally don't care one way or another. I'm just glad she's in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom