• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
His function is essentially to be a Sonic you can put where the actual Sonic can't be, he's so you can have Sonic do evil things in Sonic Adventure 2.
imma be real with you chief, that's hella wrong on so many levels

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
So you didn't play Shadow the Hedgehog or Sonic 06 then.

You lucky, lucky person you.
Yeah, and also that I don't really care for any of that stuff. It's so, incredibly extra and it's a desperate attempt to make what is otherwise an evil Sonic cooler. I think it's a shame Shadow has to be around as much as he ends up, because he really doesn't lend himself to many appearances. They've oughta keep things simple.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Add Rhythm heaven too (based on smash 4 datamining, gematsu, and rhythm heaven popularity) and It'll be 3 pretty much guaranteed (or at least widely expected) newcomers, possibly Simon as well depending on whether you think Vergeben is right.
Also worth noting the 2015 Rhythm Heaven MegaMix was the first Rhythm Heaven game to include a real protagonist. I think it's quite possible for us to see Tibby (and to extension many other Rhythm Heaven characters in his moveset) in Smash Ultimate.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Okay all you Eggmaners... you have to understand something. I believe in my heart that Robotnik is the right name. So no matter how much "evidence" or "proof" or "things completely proving my point of view wrong if I just looked at them" you show me, I'm never going to admit I'm wrong, and will never call him Eggman. I've already hardened my heart. I'm right, you're wrong, bla bla bla. *Plugs ears, closes eyes and says "I win the argument" so nobody can refute me* (Totally kidding of course, but I didn't expect to get so many replies on my throwaway post about Dr Eggm-- you know who)
As a Sonic fan, I know this: Technically and canonallicy, his real name IS Dr. Robotnik. He just goes by the name Eggman in the games, like it or not.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
But they still take less time to make due to using Link and Pikachu as bases and sharing a lot of attacks with them, they managed to make 6 of them back in melee and I'm pretty sure it was said they wouldn't have even been able to make 1 unique character in the time it took to make those 6.
Because they were using Melee assets that were already made. The same is not the case now. Also that wasn't said.

But it's clear this conversation isn't going anywhere. I just wish more people would read more about the actual work of game development. It's fascinating and helps you understand what decisions have to be made to make the final product the way it is.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
One thing I've felt since about the time Smash 4 was released is that Young Link (if brought wholesale from Melee) would end up playing different from Link and Toon Link. Since those two have changed more than I think people have realized.
It's true that Young Link is essentially Smash 64/Melee Link (At least, from what we've seen of him). Link and Toon Link have come a long way since the day's of Brawl.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Shadow's purpose for marketing was to be the edgier Sonic, but in THE LORE he was a project to see if he could cure a disease. you gotta love that deep satanic shadow lore. :reverse:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay all you Eggmaners... you have to understand something. I believe in my heart that Robotnik is the right name. So no matter how much "evidence" or "proof" or "things completely proving my point of view wrong if I just looked at them" you show me, I'm never going to admit I'm wrong, and will never call him Eggman. I've already hardened my heart. I'm right, you're wrong, bla bla bla. *Plugs ears, closes eyes and says "I win the argument" so nobody can refute me* (Totally kidding of course, but I didn't expect to get so many replies on my throwaway post about Dr Eggm-- you know who)
Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik is both Eggman and Dr. Robotnik, both are canon in both the East and West. Since Sonic Adventure (in the West) and Sonic Adventure 2 (in the East).

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If Magalor got in before Bandana Dee, I'm pretty sure that the salt from Bandana Dee fans would overflow smashboards. Dead serious. Think Waluigi 2.0.
I think there's something out there that says Bandana Dee's amiibo has code for multiple amiibo like Daisy had.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Shadow's purpose for marketing was to be the edgier Sonic, but in THE LORE he was a project to see if he could cure a disease. you gotta love that deep satanic shadow lore. :reverse:
I'm...talking about his purpose for the game. The point of Sonic Adventure 2 is to highlight Hero/Evil sides, and Shadow is there so you can have Sonic-style action while on the evil side. He's there for a premise/thematic purpose rather than serving a unique gameplay function, which is why it's perfectly reasonable for him to not do any of the other stuff he does in whatever spinoff.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder how many assets were left behind of dropped characters. Honestly, I don't think much as it seems the veterans were dropped last each time.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Actually, I'm gonna go ahead and put 6 characters I'm semi-confident will make it in:
1. Ashley
2. K. Rool
3. Bandana Dee/The flying magic guy whos name has been forgotten sadly
4. Shadow The Hedgehog (Full Character. Calling it now.)
5. Mimikyu/Incineroar/Decidueye
6. Heihachi Mishima

Cause why not
13/10 3edgy5me

Anyone else REALLY don't want Shadow in Smash?!?
Meh, I'll bite. Why do you specifically not want Shadow in Smash? (?!?)

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
When Sakurai said that we shouldn't expect too many new characters, I personally don't think that echoes were included. Idk why, just a feeling.
Because he probably didn’t make the echoes yet. Echoes are made near end development, so predicting them is probably near impossibly, Sakurai probably isn’t even sure which echo characters to add yet.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
it's perfectly reasonable for him to not do any of the other stuff he does in whatever spinoff.
Sonic '06 is unfortunately a mainline series game. There's also him using his Chaos stuff during his last fight in SA2.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
How does this look for the "Ultimate" Smash?
70-75 characters
100 stages
60 Assist Trophies
600 songs
1000 trophies
All past items
New Adventure/Smash Run/All-Star Mode hybrid
Return of Break the Target, Trophy Rush, Coin Launcher, etc. and brand-new modes
Revamped Classic Mode and Traditional Classic Mode

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yeah, I think Sakurai worked on unique newcomers first then echos like Daisy were created after as extra deserts. Considering Daisy was the echo used to hype this new thing? I really doubt there's many of them or any of them are people who would hype up a room come to think of it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Tails has always been the only obvious Sonic rep beyond Sonic to me. They are the most iconic gaming duo in the world after Mario & Luigi.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I fail to see the problem.
I find it very disorienting that a character who uses nothing but projectiles and other bizarre abilities in a franchise where most of the characters use fun physical abilities based on their character design attributes. It's boring. It comes across as very obvious to me that Shadow is supposed to be just Sonic 2 when the only things that he does are 1:1 with Sonic or only appear in cutscenes with the help of a plot object or to make one boss fight a little more interesting.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A

KMDP

Smash Legend
I don't want him either. I'd rather have Tails or Eggman.
I'd be happy with any of the three really. (In the order: Tails, Shadow, Eggman; specifically.)

06 wasn't a spinoff. In that game nearly all his attacks are Chaos abilities.
I mean, technically, '06 never actually happened. Sort of...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Bomberman being an assist trophy makes a little more sense now.

No one knew about Bomberman R until it's announcement. It was a shock. There hadn't been a Bomberman game in 5 years when Sakurai started his plan. That with the aforementioned fact Snake also deals in explosives is probably why Sakurai decided he'd work better as an assist trophy.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Shadow. He's such a gimmick to where its overdone. Knuckles is soooooo obvious for Smash, its insane.
But hes an assist now. So that ends that idea and put Shadow where Kuckles used to be. Sucks for people who don't like Shadow I guess.

I'm one of the crazy people that liked his game but I also feel like his character pretty much died with it. I can't remember the last time I heard positive things about him after he appeared in a new title.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Shadow kinda became a meme after his spin-off game. I don't remember much hype for his appearances after that even from his die hards.

But he's usually always one of the first people announced for Sonic spin-offs still. Look at the new racing game for proof.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
My search to see who which character was shown off the least this E3 hit a snag (internet cut out). I'll get back to it when I come home from work.

Surprisingly, the characters that seemed to get sidelined the most are Roy and Greninja

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Shadow kinda became a meme after his spin-off game. I don't remember much hype for his appearances after that even from his die hards.

But he's usually always one of the first people announced for Sonic spin-offs still. Look at the new racing game for proof.
So SEGA's version of Waluigi?

Troykv

Smash Master
Interesting. If Source Gaming's own "Perception of Smash DLC in Japan, Redux" has anything to say, then we could potentially see characters like K.Rool, Bandana Dee, Magalor and Geno in the game. And with Sakurai obviously wanting to make fans happy with this game, I'd like to think that their chances have increased significantly at most, or slightly at the very least.
This article reminded me that Micaiah appeared here (in a okay-ish position, nothing too special, I guess it helped her the overall status in the franchise during this period of time); and some wanted disconfirmed like Waluigi appear despite being disconfirmed xDU

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom