• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hot dang, if the project plan was FINALIZED at that time, the ballot is seriously going to have a bigger influence than we could have hoped. That would mean they began making the plan hot off the heels of it.

This is gonna be an interesting roster.
Maybe that's why Waluigi was casually introduced and killed off: Nobody (in significant numbers) really voted him in because he already had no chance at the time.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Quick note, Sakurai can pick characters based off of concept art for all he cares.

Regardless, I think we should stay ultra conservative in our speculation this time around.

I'm trying to stay that way, guessing at 6-8 more characters, trying to only guess at the ones who truly have a chance and yet i still find myself guessing Geno and it worries me because i dont want to be let down if i keep thinking hes extremely likely... but i cant help it he really feels pretty likely this time around, I'll make a list of simon belmon/k rool/dixie/waddle dee etc... and i'll add a new pokemon or ashley or impa or someone else whos pretty likely and cut out room for geno but whenever i do i find myself still feeling hes more likely and making room for him.

i'm totally fine with not getting Geno, i have little mac and he's enough for me to be happy and have a genuine main, but i cant help but feel hes likely and if he isnt in and i keep psyching myself up for him i might actually be disappointed where with smash4 i essentially thought he was a long shot until AFTER the ballot and DLC happened so i was never really let down. Seeing the Mii costume was actually an awesome moment where he sort-of got in the game instead of a deconfirmation after months of hope and speculation.

just worried i might be building myself up for a fall i never intended to take.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Can I just briefly say that we already knew that the roster had been finalized by February of 2017 at the latest? We knew thaf Rex and Springman were outside of the planning period even before the announcement.

This isn't new; it's just that people are actually listening to what's been said now.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
...I'd also like to point out that this means Sakurai sat his butt down on that chair in the final Smash Direct knowing damn well he had already laid out the plans for bringing back every single character in the series, :ultinkling: and :ultridley:, and still acted like Smash 4 was his Magnum Opus.

Sakurai you sly, sly dog.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
...I'd also like to point out that this means Sakurai sat his butt down on that chair in the final Smash Direct knowing damn well he had already laid out the plans for bringing back every single character in the series, and Ridley, and still acted like Smash 4 was his Magnum Opus.

Sakurai you sly, sly dog.
His magnum opus will probably be a Kirby game. :4pacman:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Can I just briefly say that we already knew that the roster had been finalized by February of 2017 at the latest? We knew thaf Rex and Springman were outside of the planning period even before the announcement.

This isn't new; it's just that people are actually listening to what's been said now.
Yeah, but this announcement still changes speculation a bit because, considering December 2015 was two months after the ballot ended, that means said Ballot is gonna have a large impact for this game.

So I guess you people shouldn't be surprised if we see K. Rool or something like that.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Just as a reminder that XC2 started development in 2015. Also despite that popular design schedule shared around, that only discussed their facial expressions, their art was likely done at least before April 2016, perhaps as early as 2015 given they are the main characters. I would say that they have a good shot in a Greninja situation. Rex and Pyra aint dead yet.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
The problem is that Pokemon is surpassing Mario, Nintendo's flagship franchise. No franchise should ever surpass Mario, not even Pokemon.
Pokemon surpassed Mario in Brawl. Mario had four while pokemon had six. There are not any rules about number of reps.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Just as a reminder that XC2 started development in 2015. Also despite that popular design schedule shared around, that only discussed their facial expressions. I would say that they have a good shot in a Greninja situation.
Greninja only happened because of TPC.

Sakurai could not have known how the Switch, let alone XC2, would be received. Why would he choose Rex and Pyra, who were at the time unproven and unknown, when he had Elma, the pseudo-protagonist of the best selling Xenoblade title at that time?

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Just as a reminder that XC2 started development in 2015. Also despite that popular design schedule shared around, that only discussed their facial expressions, their art was likely done at least before April 2016, perhaps as early as 2015 given they are the main characters. I would say that they have a good shot in a Greninja situation. Rex and Pyra aint dead yet.
Sakurai penciled in 'New Pokemon' for Greninja, not 'JRPG characters I have no idea about.' He knew Pokemon would be a success, he didn't for Xenoblade 2.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Sakurai always says he decides the roster early on and then doesnt deviate from it, we also know he prioritizes characters and he seems to always intend for more characters than they can make in time. clones often happen towards the end to make the roster a bit bigger.

this time he clearly prioritized all the veterans and we arent getting "too many more" newcomers.

well we already have daisy as a clone character so hopefully that means we are at the "adding clones" stage of adding characters so we'll get all the intended roster choices. its possible he choose less newcomers than usual since he wasnt sure how many he could realistically implement if he first intended to get all the veterans back and has found time for clones still, echo fighters now but same thing.

obviously no 2 smash games development cycles are the same but based on how sakurai says he does this, we might not have the remains of unfinished characters like chorus men/toon zelda etc... left over in the coding as he may have accurately predicted how much time he'd need to implement all the characters he wants in the game and we'll actually get his full roster this time.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Boy! This changes speculation.

Though, the project plan being completed on December makes me wonder if Elma was in earlier roster drafts. When was the first draft completed then? Would Elma be removed in the final roster draft with her Japanese release coming out too late by then? I have many questions.

I am still going to bank on Lycanroc, because Sakurai can still plan one year ahead for Pokemon inclusions.
Bank you say? Good choice of words Blue
His magnum opus will probably be a Kirby game. :4pacman:
Nah fam Mushi is his Magnum Opus
This is just too much Pokemon. It doesn't deserve ten reps. Only Mario does.
Nah, I'd argue 10 is too much for Mario currently
Maybe that's why Waluigi was casually introduced and killed off: Nobody (in significant numbers) really voted him in because he already had no chance at the time.
I'd argue that Sakurai just doesn't feel effort is worth it because Waluigi is mostly sports. A Mario character limited to that could be seen as stretching it, idk

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Greninja only happened because of TPC.

Sakurai could not have known how the Switch, let alone XC2, would be received. Why would he choose Rex and Pyra, who were at the time unproven, when he had Elma, the pseudo-protagonist of the best selling Xenoblade title at the time?
You know, come to think of it, given Greninja was chosen because Sakurai thought he'd be interesting because of his concept art, there is no guarantee that Sakurai would even find Rex interesting based off his concept art if he was willing to give him the Greninja treatment.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I think that the fact the plan was finalized in 2015 is very bad for Lycanroc in particular.
While Sun/Moon starters and Mimikyu were born successful, with confident and diverse concept art, Lycanroc was not. Lycanroc is a Pokémon that grew into a popular Pokémon instead of being born one. I would post the concept art of all these Pokémon again but I’m on a cell phone, could someone do that for me?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
My ultimate list (roster want wise)

Nintendo

1. Krystal (assist trophy x.x)
2. Saki
3. Paper Mario
4. Demise
5. Lyn (assist trophy x.x)
6. King K. Rool
7. Tom Nook (final smash)
8. Blue (Second Pokemon Trainer)
9. Waluigi (assist)
10. Wolf Link and Midna (assist)

Honorable Mentions to replace those that are already deconfirmed

Porky
Impa
Black Shadow
Captain Toad
Isaac

Third Party

1. Banjo Kazooie
2. Spyro the Dragon
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Sora
5. Master Chief

What I actually think will happen.

9 Newcomers Base Game

1. Inkling
2. Ridley
3. Arms character (new and they are gonna push it) (Twintelle, Spring Man or Ribbon Girl)
4. Mech Character (maybe Elma) (from mech/arm tweet thing)
5. Pokemon from new generation (they always do this)
6. Simon Belmont (leak)
7. Geno (Sakurai talks a lot about this character and we have cloud now)
8. King K Rool (costume and a huge fan base like Ridley)
9. Other Huge 3rd Party (Steve stage rumor so Hopefully Banjo Kazooie, popular with Nintendo fans) (Will be big surprise and super popular, probably high on poll)

3 Base Echo fighters

1. Daisy
2. Shadow (probably popular on the poll, easy to do no assist currently
3. Chrom (popular last game, got actively shunned but spotlighted, easy to do)

Dlc

1. Paper Mario (very popular, has many games)
2. Dixie Kong (super popular, easy semi clone)
3. Rayman ( Ubisoft is willing and works a lot with Nintendo)
4. Isaac (no assist, been wanted for awhile by fan base)
5. Crash Bandicoot (remaster on switch, Super popular)
6. Spyro ( remaster soon, probably coming to switch, popular with same crowd as crash)
7. Heihachi (Bandai Namco, Harada would be pleased I imagine)

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
There's still the possibility of Sakurai adding both Elma and Rex & Pyra into the base roster (although I think that's pretty unlikely).

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Also, Rex and Pyra would have had no reason to be included at the time since DLC exists.

Why make a gamble on a character that might be poorly received when you can wait to see if that character proves themselves worthy as an inclusion for DLC?

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
In the Context of Pokemon surpassing Mario in character I feel it's worth mention that Mario actually has sub-series (DK, Yoshi & Wario), Giving it a total of 12 Characters.
series like Pikmin and Inkling had to wait an console before getting in, I don't think any series other than Pokemon would get a Greninja situation

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’m just going to say that we now have more newcomers to expect, seeing how much dev time Sakurai and his team has now.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You know, come to think of it, given Greninja was chosen because Sakurai thought he'd be interesting because of his concept art, there is no guarantee that Sakurai would even find Rex interesting based off his concept art if he was willing to give him the Greninja treatment.
Do we have pics of Rex's concept art?
Come to think of it concept art is pretty important, it's what gave Sheik's Brawl design and likely a major influence for Zero Suit Samus' new look

D

Deleted member

I think that the fact the plan was finalized in 2015 is very bad for Lycanroc in particular.
While Sun/Moon starters and Mimikyu were born successful, with confident and diverse concept art, Lycanroc was not. Lycanroc is a Pokémon that grew into a popular Pokémon instead of being born one. I would post the concept art of all these Pokémon again but I’m on a cell phone, could someone do that for me?

Didn't include Dusk Lycanroc because... well, yeah.
You're definitely right though, this does not bode well for Lycanroc's chances. Nothing about this concept art makes him look super appealing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Elma seems like a Sakurai choice. She is similar to Sheik and Zero Suit Samus and Bayonetta.

She would fill in the Smash Ultimate newcomer slot for speedy combo character.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace

Didn't include Dusk Lycanroc because... well, yeah.
You're definitely right though, this does not bode well for Lycanroc's chances. Nothing about this concept art makes him look super appealing.
I entirely forgot that dusk Lycanroc (the most popular form) only showed up in ultra. I think Lycanroc is probably toast.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Sakurai penciled in 'New Pokemon' for Greninja, not 'JRPG characters I have no idea about.' He knew Pokemon would be a success, he didn't for Xenoblade 2.
To be fair, its not a stretch to say the new Xenoblade protagonist would be as well received as Elma or anybody from Xenoblade X. Her popularity is greatly overstated among speculators here. Doubly so since Sakurai would only have the Japanese reaction to go on (where it did worse than the original in sales). The lack of popularity goes for her as well.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
not only that but theres a big difference between pokemon, something that essentially cant fail, and xenoblade2 which certainly had the potential not to make a splash at all.

i never thought rex or xenoblade 2 had much of a shot at the base roster, though once again them and an ARMS rep feel like locks for DLC anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom