• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If Sonicfox loses he can easily shrug it off due to playing almost every other fighting game because he's not a Smash player and is so good at literally everything else. If he wins, Zero will never lose that L for life and honestly he deserves it the little ****.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
does zero know what he's getting into? sonicfox is legitimately the best fighting game player i've ever seen.
Sonicfox is very talented with how many games he's won major tournaments in. But Smash Bros. is entirely different from any other standard fighter. That's why you don't see a ton of crossover between Smash and other fighters.

Sonicfox could pick up and learn Smash4 at a competent level to compete with Zero and make it interesting, I think. But if he gave himself three months to beat Hungrybox or M2K in Melee? He couldn't possibly learn the muscle memory in that amount of time. He'd get floored.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sonicfox is very talented with how many games he's won major tournaments in. But Smash Bros. is entirely different from any other standard fighter. That's why you don't see a ton of crossover between Smash and other fighters.

Sonicfox could pick up and learn Smash4 at a competent level to compete with Zero and make it interesting, I think. But if he gave himself three months to beat Hungrybox or M2K in Melee? He couldn't possibly learn the muscle memory in that amount of time. He'd get floored.
I think if he waited for Ultimate he could fare better as literally everyone needs to get used to that game and the Perfect Shield working more like a parry could be easy for him to get used to

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Zero threw mad shade at Sonicfox, going "I used to have respect for you but now I don't care about you" because when Sonicfox was a nervous as **** 16 year old who had social anxiety and knew no Smash players, he didn't get "Thank you oh wise ZeRo™ from Chili"
I missed that exchange. Just found some articles about it tho. I support ZeRo as a prominent and rarely toxic member of the community, but this specific situation looks really bad on him. Assuming every young FGC player should know him, and then getting upset and trying to stir **** up because he didn't get recognized is ridiculous. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are starstruck when they meet ZeRo, but he certainly shouldn't assume everyone will be, and to go further than that, it's ridiculous that he was vocally upset about it and stopped supporting someone over it. I'm disappointed to see something that ridiculous out of one of our most prominent and celebrated players.

Last edited:

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Finally caught up with this thread, just wanted to give my general impressions and pose some questions/ideas...
  • Firstly, I love Sakurai's design philosophy behind this game. Given the Switch's success, the relatively early release of this game in the console's lifecycle, and Sakurai's outward expression of wanting a (possibly permanent) break from Smash, this game definitely seems like his farewell to the series. And what better way is there to do so by making the difinitive game in the series, bringing in loads of content from the series' history, appealing broadly to both the competitive and casual scenes alike, and (seemingly) putting consumer response/wants first and foremost. Nintendo is planning on having this be THE Smash game for YEARS beyond the lifespan of a typical entry in the series.

• I LOVE the changes given to the veterans, whether major like :ultlink: and :ultganondorf:, or minor aesthetic updates like :ultgnw:, :ultzelda:, and even :ultness: and :ultlucas:. There just seems to be so many things added to this game that don't seem integral at all, but were obviously included out of love for both the fans and the source material. For example, :ultlink:'s whole redesign did warrant some gameplay changes, but things like the double arrow and blade beam mechanics are those little touches that really show Sakurai's passion for what he does, as much as it may tire him. Even minor visual quirks with :ultgnw:'s animations, :ultness:, :ultlucas:, :ultshulk:, and :ultmegaman:'s Final Smash additions, and varied alternates that we've seen for characters like :ultmario:, :ultpikachu:, :ultpokemontrainer:, and :ultridley: show this too. There's just so much respect shown for all of these franchises and the legacies they've built up, and it's really shown through every little touch he adds to the game.

• As much as they are just a rebranding of clones, I love the idea of echo fighters. The whole hate behind the Smash 4 clones was dumb to begin with IMO. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and initial negative reactions of seeing :ultdarkpit: make it in over someone's favorite are understandable, but once the reasoning and logistics of their addition we're known, there wasn't much of any reason for the hate of that character group (unless it was just a distaste of a specific character). With that being said, with the (understandable) fact that we're not getting many newcomers, I love the fact that many fan favorites like :ultdaisy:, who likely wouldn't get in otherwise, are able to see the light of day. It opens the door for so many more awesome additions like Funky Kong, Ken, Octolings, etc., and I can't wait to see where they take this idea. I just hope they stick to characters to whom it wouldn't be a major disservice to put them in this role, but I have faith in Sakurai and the team.

• Finally, just to touch on this, I love the support being shown for the competitive side of Smash, as it's more than obvious now. Not only do we have (what is increasingly seeming like) the entire stage list in Smash history, but we also have the return of Omega forms, the inclusion of Battlefield forms, a STAGE HAZARD TOGGLE, dash-dancing, dash-attack cancels, directional airdodges (and therefore both wavelanding/dashing, the latter of which seems useless granted), low lag on aerials across the board, and an overall boost in speed and weight to the game, not to mention the GC controller's return. I'm glad they're adding these features which increases the complexity of the game on a competitive scale, while also not alienating casual players by overly raising the bar for entry, and giving more options for everyone.
Overall, I love what this game has shown us so far from every angle, and I can't wait to see more in the coming months, this game is truly a love-letter to the series and the fans that have supported it all these years. As far as newcomer predictions go, I feel like it'll mainly be popularity/ballot-based, given the overall philosophy behind this games development and what we've seen so far with character choices and beyond. I'm predicting 7 more unique newcomers with 4 more echoes in the base games roster (apart from who's already confirmed that is). My list is as follows:

PREDICTIONS:

• King K. Rool - Most wanted-bias aside, I think due to his insane popularity both with and without the ballot, his Mii costume, and Sakurai's real focus on what the fans want this time, I'm feeling very confident in the King's chances this time around.

• Elma - Admittedly, I've never played a Xenoblade game, but that doesn't stop me from seeing her likelihood. Xenoblade has blown up since Smash 4's inclusion of Shulk, and given the unfortunate timing with Rex & Pyra's creation and the Ultimate development cycle, I think it's a bit too late for their inclusion, though I think they are prime candidates for DLC.

• Alola Pokemon - Of the main trio that is discussed (Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc), none would disappoint me and I'd love any of their inclusions. I'd even be down for some more out-there, yet reasonable choices like Nihilego, Buzzwole, Tapu Koko, or a Gladion & Silvally team (like :ultpokemontrainer:). Anything would be cool (even Stennee), I'm just expecting someone.

• Bandana Dee - Has been showing himself to be the 4th member of the main Kirby group for quite some time now, and I feel like Sakurai would be all for giving his pride and joy series another character. Plus he's got popularity to boot.

• Captain Toad - With Daisy in, Waluigi out, and the choices from the main Mario cast dwindling, now seems like the time to see the Captian make his appearance. He hasn't stopped showing up in titles recently and doesn't show any signs of stopping, he's very popular, and I believe he is the last main-series Mario character that would/could be added.

• Geno - Notice how I said "main-series?" Geno has had a cult-following over the past couple decades or so to say the very least, and Sakurai seems plenty aware of it, from the infamous costume to considering Geno briefly for the last entry and possibly also Brawl (heard this somewhere, not sure if true). Regardless, he's shown open desire to add Mario's one-off ally, even if it never quite came to be, and it would be a legendary inclusion to say the least. This is the definition of a fan-favorite character, and if Sakurai is really trying to hone-in on that this time around, I think the puppet has a very good shot of making the cut.

• Simon Belmont - Not much to be said that hasn't been said already. Leaks aside, the Castlevania series holds a special piece in Nintendo history and a special place in many old-school gamers' hearts. With Snake back, collaboration with Konami is confirmed, and the fact that they got the rights for Bomberman, yet didn't make him playable raises some red flags for me. Granted, Bomberman's AT role doesn't necessarily mean/imply anything, it's strange that they sought out the rights of other Konami properties, yet to only make an assist out of them? My crackpot theory that is almost definitely not true is that they went in search of both Bomberman and Simon's rights, with intentions to make either a fighter, whomever they acquired, and Konami was okay with both of them. With the games design plan only having room for one Konami character, they settled on Simon but still gave Bomberman a semi-prominent role given that he's incredibly popular and they had the rights... What you just read is likely complete and utter nothingness, but alas I still believe Simon has a lot going for him.

• As for echoes, the four I would both thouroughly enjoy and also expect would be Funky Kong, Octolings, Ken, and Ms. Pac-Man. Though I realize there are many more possible options, these guys just seem like safe bets in my eyes. They're different enough aesthetically, recognizably, or personality-wise to warrant being separate, while also similar enough to be justifiable clones echoes.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I missed that exchange. Just found some articles about it tho. I support ZeRo as a prominent and rarely toxic member of the community, but this specific situation looks really bad on him. Assuming every young FGC player should know him, and then getting upset and trying to stir **** up because he didn't get recognized is ridiculous. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are starstruck when they meet ZeRo, but he certainly shouldn't assume everyone will be, and to go further than that, it's ridiculous that he was vocally upset about it and stopped supporting someone over it. I'm disappointed to see something that ridiculous out of one of our most prominent and celebrated players.
I don't think this is serious; I see this as posturing more than anything. The two are creating fake beef between each other like Professional Wrestlers or Drama Youtubers for the sake of drumming up hype. If this is serious then I'm disappointed in ZeRo, but I think that this is a staged scenario to create hype for competitive Smash Ultimate (which it is).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
...That actually happened? Since when?
There's a copypastq going around based on what Zero said but he deleted the tweet. Sonicfox's reply should still be up.
I mean. Zero's always been pretty crap imo, which is one of the reasons him getting bodied by Palutena was so hype

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
I like where this beef is going. The death of the Salty Suite saddened me, and this seems like a good way to bring it back.

That being said, this is going to be Chillin vs Leffen all over again. At least we’ll get a Twitch emote out of the carnage.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I mean. Zero's always been pretty crap imo, which is one of the reasons him getting bodied by Palutena was so hype
I guess we're all welcome to our opinions, but I never really gained a full understanding of why people feel that way. From what I have seen, he's a fierce competitor who does a ton to drive the scene forward. I don't expect him to be a perfect human, and I don't personally think he's done much to deserve hate. A lot of what he got during Smash 4 was just a bunch of babbies crying because he won all the tournaments and it got old. Hating him became a meme and people even threatened his life over winning all the tournaments.

ZeRo has dedicated his life to making Smash bigger, and he does a great job of it, even in his retirement. This certainly doesn't mean we should pretend he hasn't done something wrong, but everyone does things wrong sometimes. I'm not telling you that you have to change your opinion, but I don't think it'd be a bad idea to generally reassess your reasoning behind your opinion of him either.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
There's a copypastq going around based on what Zero said but he deleted the tweet. Sonicfox's reply should still be up.

Yeah, I saw, but I don't think that's a decent enough reason to blow the implications behind the tweet out of proportion and incessantly **** on him like you're doing now. They're seemingly on good terms, so I'm sure they've put that behind them.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I guess we're all welcome to our opinions, but I never really gained a full understanding of why people feel that way. From what I have seen, he's a fierce competitor who does a ton to drive the scene forward. I don't expect him to be a perfect human, and I don't personally think he's done much to deserve hate. A lot of what he got during Smash 4 was just a bunch of babbies crying because he won all the tournaments and it got old. Hating him became a meme and people even threatened his life over winning all the tournaments.

ZeRo has dedicated his life to making Smash bigger, and he does a great job of it, even in his retirement. This certainly doesn't mean we should pretend he hasn't done something wrong, but everyone does things wrong sometimes. I'm not telling you that you have to change your opinion, but I don't think it'd be a bad idea to generally reassess your reasoning behind your opinion of him either.
Oh don't get me wrong, the threats on his life and **** are unwarranted. My issue is mostly with him being pretty dumb and seemingly not learning from past mistakes. If you bring old **** up he's the person to go "Well that was the past" and then hold a grudge because a 16 year old who didn't know him didn't get an anime power up when told good luck and how he somehow doxxed two of his friends on stream in the same way
Yeah, I saw, but I don't think that's a decent enough reason to blow the implications behind the tweet out of proportion and incessantly **** on him like you're doing now. They're seemingly on good terms, so I'm sure they've put that behind them.
Again it's not because of his plays or anything, I just don't like his personality.

Btw I'm trying to get as many thoughts on the game from competitive players as possible, can anyone help me there?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I know Seagull Joe has an account on here, and that’s he pretty active on it too. Wonder what he thinks about Wolf?
I more so meant from people who played the game extensively (Dunno if Joe did or not) or videos with them talking and showing stuff but that's also good actually lmao. I know there's probably a thread for that kind of stuff too but idk where to look

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Oh don't get me wrong, the threats on his life and **** are unwarranted. My issue is mostly with him being pretty dumb and seemingly not learning from past mistakes. If you bring old **** up he's the person to go "Well that was the past" and then hold a grudge because a 16 year old who didn't know him didn't get an anime power up when told good luck and how he somehow doxxed two of his friends on stream in the same way

Again it's not because of his plays or anything, I just don't like his personality.

Btw I'm trying to get as many thoughts on the game from competitive players as possible, can anyone help me there?
Fair enough.

Also, Youtube is your best friend. Armada, ZeRo and Mew2King all have uploaded videos about their thoughts regarding the game, so that might be your best place to starting looking.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Several top players, including several who played in the invitational, have put up YouTube videos where they lay out their thoughts. I'll put your favorite one first :troll:

Also potential NSFW for language.
ZeRo

Armada

M2k

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
I more so meant from people who played the game extensively (Dunno if Joe did or not) or videos with them talking and showing stuff but that's also good actually lmao. I know there's probably a thread for that kind of stuff too but idk where to look
If you use Twitch, Mew2King is streaming right now. You could ask him some questions there.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Several top players, including several who played in the invitational, have put up YouTube videos where they lay out their thoughts. I'll put your favorite one first :troll:

Also potential NSFW for language.
ZeRo

Armada

M2k
Oh I actually already saw Zero's video on the character trailers, I may think he's a **** but he's easily the best 4 player so I kind of needed to ignore that even if I don't like his attitude to some stuff there and how he kind of forget the game's not exclusively aimed to competitive

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Oh I actually already saw Zero's video on the character trailers, I may think he's a **** but he's easily the best 4 player so I kind of needed to ignore that even if I don't like his attitude to some stuff there and how he kind of forget the game's not exclusively aimed to competitive
I think most professional players treat the game like its supposed to be competitive only. If you watch many of the videos of gameplay, they're all deliberately avoiding anything that isn't legal in competitive play. I understand, though. The competitive aspects are the parts I care about, and if I'm giving my perspective on the game, I'm going to point out ways that I think it could be better, and to me and the other competitive players those things that could make it better are competitive focused. Not to mention its the competitive community watching their videos so it's very possible they're going to try harder to appeal to that crowd. However I think that's not really the case since I can put myself in their shoes on at least some level.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think most professional players treat the game like its supposed to be competitive only. If you watch many of the videos of gameplay, they're all deliberately avoiding anything that isn't legal in competitive play. I understand, though. The competitive aspects are the parts I care about, and if I'm giving my perspective on the game, I'm going to point out ways that I think it could be better, and to me and the other competitive players those things that could make it better are competitive focused. Not to mention its the competitive community watching their videos so it's very possible they're going to try harder to appeal to that crowd. However I think that's not really the case since I can put myself in their shoes on at least some level.
I meant stuff like Zero getting mad at the cute gags and references in the character trailers because it's not giving info that he wants. Which is odd as he was really perplexed by the gag they did for Falco

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Is there any known footage or account of someone playing on the Green Hill stage in the Smash Ultimate demo? Seriously, Shadow may just replace Knuckles in the background of that stage and all of the speculation will get thrown out the window just like that.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Is there any known footage or account of someone playing on the Green Hill stage in the Smash Ultimate demo? Seriously, Shadow may just replace Knuckles in the background of that stage and all of the speculation will get thrown out the window just like that.
Doubtful. As there's no point to swap the characters out like that.

Shroob

Sup?
Have any leaks besides verg said Simon is in? I'm starting to doubt that he's in.
The fact that Verg said that Simon's in means that any 'leak' is more likely than not going to slap Simon in because most people have it in the back of their mind that Simon is guaranteed.

Honestly, the first 'leak' that doesn't say Simon is confirmed will be interesting, regardless of how **** it is, just due to it thinking outside of the box.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I was going to say 5-6 since that's how many more I'm expecting; but I went with 7-8. Either 7-8 more, or 7-8 total including Inklings and Ridley. I honestly am not going to count Echo Fighters since Sakurai can simply add them in and tweak them whenever he wants.

And if I am going to get a little specific, I'm probably am going to guess characters like Captain Toad, King K. Rool, Bandana Dee, Isaac, and a couple other characters that I'm not expecting. Maybe Dixie Kong in there if she ends up becoming unique rather than an echo; honestly, her ponytail alone probably should warrant her a unique slot.

But, I digress.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As said before, Verg only said Ridley was happening at e3 for specific reveals/Smash content.

The claim that a Castlevania game is coming is a different point, and until Wednesday hits... mind you, it's possible he himself just trusted a bad source, not so much he was lying. But he also has lied before, which doesn't help.

The thing about Verg is he has terrible credibility due to backpedaling. Now him apologizing for trusting a bad source instead of editing his messages would change the opinion of him because at least he'd be honest overall.

Shroob

Sup?
As said before, Verg only said Ridley was happening at e3 for specific reveals/Smash content.

The claim that a Castlevania game is coming is a different point, and until Wednesday hits... mind you, it's possible he himself just trusted a bad source, not so much he was lying. But he also has lied before, which doesn't help.

The thing about Verg is he has terrible credibility due to backpedaling. Now him apologizing for trusting a bad source instead of editing his messages would change the opinion of him because at least he'd be honest overall.
I don't think we have to wait until Wednesday. Pretty sure Verg himself said today that it was Konami's sports game that was under embargo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think we have to wait until Wednesday. Pretty sure Verg himself said today that it was Konami's sports game that was under embargo.
Why should we suddenly think he's telling the truth now?

That's the point. Wait it out. Was he lying through his teeth? Maybe to not get caught? Was he mistaken? If he's right about either one, that makes it kind of odd. Because he's leaking both either way. Either he was right about the Castlevania information or was lied to about it. Same with the Sports game.

We won't know what actually is happening until the embargo lifts. But the issue is also this; if he was given bad information as is, and later given good information, all it means is he believed a bad source. If the Castlevania thing hits, that means he was lying about his source, which hurts his credibility even more than the sports game, where he was at least honest about having bad information.

He's screwed either way, but I think it's best to just wait and see how it plays out.

No reason to believe him at this point, but it'll be amusing.

Shroob

Sup?
Why should we suddenly think he's telling the truth now?

That's the point. Wait it out. Was he lying through his teeth? Maybe to not get caught? Was he mistaken? If he's right about either one, that makes it kind of odd. Because he's leaking both either way. Either he was right about the Castlevania information or was lied to about it. Same with the Sports game.

We won't know what actually is happening until the embargo lifts. But the issue is also this; if he was given bad information as is, and later given good information, all it means is he believed a bad source. If the Castlevania thing hits, that means he was lying about his source, which hurts his credibility even more than the sports game, where he was at least honest about having bad information.

He's screwed either way, but I think it's best to just wait and see how it plays out.

No reason to believe him at this point, but it'll be amusing.
True, but at the same time, by saying it's the sports game, he's basically admitting to being wrong.

So unless he's playing some advanced 4-d chess here, I don't see what him basically saying "The game under embargo was a sports title, not a Castlevania compilation" would do at all to benefit him. He's basically admitting to being wrong.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
True, but at the same time, by saying it's the sports game, he's basically admitting to being wrong.

So unless he's playing some advanced 4-d chess here, I don't see what him basically saying "The game under embargo was a sports title, not a Castlevania compilation" would do at all to benefit him. He's basically admitting to being wrong.
That's what I mean. If the sports game is real? It means he told the truth and simply trusted a bad source. Which happens.

This is why it's kind of complicated. With people's perceptions, with the odd situation...

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Doubtful. As there's no point to swap the characters out like that.
Hmmm, you're probably right, but now I'm curious as to who will appear in the background of that stage. We know Silver is back, and I'm assuming Tails will still be there too. I'm guessing they're going to remove Knuckles from the background and replace him with someone like Amy? Although we do have Palkia as a pokeball pokemon and presumably still a stage hazard so who knows if they'll even bother removing Knuckles.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Golden Plains, PAC-maze, Sector Z, and Miiverse stick out above the rest.
Two are reliant on the 3ds' system individuality, Sector Z is basically just Corneria, and Miiverse has no reason to exist anymore.

I'm hoping that we get Pyrosphere, Fountain of Dreams, Rumble Falls, and the rest of 64s stages back.

Have we seen Delfino, Pirate Ship or Mario Maker yet? Because if not, then I want them back too.

I could see Golden Plains and PAC Maze maybe getting in if they rework the way that the stages' mechanics work, but I don't see that happening.
I can see Golden Plains returning with the coin total for each fighter on the HUD next to their portrait. Unless I'm missing something.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hmmm, you're probably right, but now I'm curious as to who will appear in the background of that stage. We know Silver is back, and I'm assuming Tails will still be there too. I'm guessing they're going to remove Knuckles from the background and replace him with someone like Amy? Although we do have Palkia as a pokeball pokemon and presumably still a stage hazard so who knows if they'll even bother removing Knuckles.
Considering one's in the background while the other is an AT and active, they might do nothing. Not much reason to worry about it, really, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom