• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
And I'd gladly take them over rex's annoying *** or pyra's boring ***, It's so weird to me that the worst characters in Xenoblade 2 are the main ones, give me nia or zeke anyday.

I feel like I'm the only one that likes Lin tbh, Outside of the constant food jokes I didn't find her annoying lol
I'd be gunning for Morag if I could have any of the lot.

Lin... I find less annoying than Tatsu (and I'm pretty Nopon tolerant) but she certainly gets on my nerves. I do like the idea of a small child scientist being a tank, that's a fun concept.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well it's not like she has no character. I appreciate her strong leadership skills, tactical touch and how she puts herself in other people's shoes all the time. Also, I'm only like 2 hours into 2 but it's not like Rex and Pyrra aren't tropey as hell either, though I still would rather have the latter.
And I'd gladly take them over rex's annoying *** or pyra's boring ***, It's so weird to me that the worst characters in Xenoblade 2 are the main ones, give me nia or zeke anyday.

I feel like I'm the only one that likes Lin tbh, Outside of the constant food jokes I didn't find her annoying lol

Yeah, well, I've never played Xenoblade 2. All I know about those two is that I hate both of their designs and that Rex's voice is aggressively annoying.

Elma on the other hand, appeals to ALL my aesthetics and despite that, I can't remember having any feelings other than lukewarmness toward her throughout the entire game.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team

It's ironic, because one thing that made Xenoblade 1 so good was the fact that it was one of the few RPGs starring an adult with a career and not some teenage kid with spiky hair and a brash attitude. I swear, every minute Rex is on screen he feels like he's only characterized the way he is because the creators know this is how RPG protags tend to be. I'm not saying any character that fits into a trope is bad, but Rex feels like he was written as a trope first and a character second.

Yeah, well, I've never played Xenoblade 2. All I know about those two is that I hate both of their designs and that Rex's voice is aggressively annoying.

Elma on the other hand, appeals to ALL my aesthetics and despite that, I can't remember having any feelings other than lukewarmness toward her throughout the entire game.
Rex's voice is fine, it's just the director that has no idea how to instruct his actors. I'd say Nia is the only character with an actively grating voice and I say that loving Welsh accents.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Reposting this on here since I just noticed this when I checked out the Zelda thread. Smash Ultimate flairs are up and running!!! Get your favorite waifus and purple dragons on your profile today~ ignore the hearts I need my moment

flair hype.png

Last edited:

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Reposting this on here since I just noticed this by when I checked out the Zelda thread. Smash Ultimate flairs are up and running!!! Get your favorite waifus and purple dragons on your profile today~ ignore the hearts I need my moment

View attachment 148681
Honestly, with how many characters are going to be in this game, I don't think I could stand sticking to a single main, haha.

Slavic

Rex's voice is fine, it's just the director that has no idea how to instruct his actors. I'd say Nia is the only character with an actively grating voice and I say that loving Welsh accents.
I love the smell of SALvage

I still think XC2 might be a bit close to bring in for a new representative, and Elma would have been very fresh when Ultimate's development started. I find it unlikely they would have a character with her abilities and scope of game and not put her towards the top of the list along with Inkling. "Worst" case, I think we get Elma, "best" case we might get Elma and Rex. If Rex isn't in the base game he'll definitely be DLC, Elma though I'm not sure they would if she doesn't make it to the base game.

Roberk

Smash Champion
This is an old topic from a few hours ago but I wanted to clear a few things up. There seems to be a lot of misinformation and miscommunication.

It does make sense for Chrom to be an Echo of Ike.

Canonically, Chrom taught himself how to fight and he taught Lucina that style. While Lucina is an ancestor of Marth, uses his identity briefly, and shares a lot of visual aspects with Marth, Lucina is the one out of character. It wouldn't be wrong for Chrom to fight like Ike because he's supposed to be like Lucina, Lucina is the one who is supposed to be like Chrom. Chrom -> Lucina, Chrom is the originator.

Take for example in Warriors, Chrom and Marth were their own characters with original movesets. When Intelligent Systems pushed to add Lucina late in development, who did they make her a clone of? Was it Marth, the character who she's already been a clone of? No, it was Chrom, because Lucina is supposed to be like Chrom. Chrom not being like Lucina doesn't hurt him because he is the one staying most true to canon in the scenario that he takes Ike's brash and aggressive style that Chrom himself is known for. And bashing Chrom by saying Chrom and Lucina's swords are supposed to be the same, that it would be weird if Chrom wielded it two-handedly? That's the canon, the Exalted Falchion and the Parallel Falchion are big two-handed swords. Lucina's Parallel Falchion was sized down to fit Marth's Falchion. "Aether is Ike's signature move, no one else can use it!"... When Aether is a signature skill of Chrom and Lucina? Even in this cutscene, while not exact, Chrom is basically doing "the Ike jump spinny move". (You also see that they are using their Falchions two-handedly)

A lot of confusion and controversy comes with how Awakening was designed, it was basically a last-ditch effort to include basically every design and mechanic in the series in one large final amalgamation of a game. Even Sakurai called it the "definitive Fire Emblem". Lucina sharing Marth's visual design, Chrom having a brash non-royalty style like Ike, Genealogy's 2nd generation, Rescue being turned into pair-up, being technically set in Archanea, and other references littered everywhere. Pretty much everything in Awakening is a mix and match of old archetypes to call back old games with new tropes to appeal to a new audience. Lots of Awakening is inherently not unique, lots of it is designed to be like old things, so that's why Chrom makes sense as an Echo of Ike.

Do I want Chrom in Smash? Not really, he and Awakening have had their time, and I don't care for him too much. Should he be in? Yeah, Chrom should be in. While it would be a bit disappointing that 3/7 of the characters would be from one game, it's pretty much already there. Chrom has an HD model for Robin's victory animations and Final Smash. The fan demand exists, FE is mostly Awakening and Fates now and Awakening was still relevant near the ballot (Fates didn't even exist.) Chrom must've placed highly to get a Mii Costume for consolation. Chrom as Ike works, just make Eruption have white flames to represent the titular Awakening or electricity (don't know about that yet from Awakening but I know he uses it a ton in Warriors.). We've already gone over Aether, Chrom has the skill and can perform a move close enough to it. If Echoes have minimal changes like no tipper and Electroshock/arrow trajectory, this could be where Chrom could be a bit different by having his Aether a straight jump without the sword throw and a bit more horizontal movement than vertical. Other than those minimal changes, slap Chrom onto an Ike skeleton model and you're good to go. We have reason to believe that there is space for Chrom, Ike's Chrom inspired color palette has been removed and Robin's origianl Final Smash and victory animations which featured Chrom are no where to be found. Chrom is definitely possible as an Ike Echo, and he should be at least suspected as one. I'll start a petition to add in the Blazing Sword trio once it gets a remake though.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
For some reason I can't even see Ridley in the background of my posts.

I am a sad sad sad individual.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I love the smell of SALvage

I still think XC2 might be a bit close to bring in for a new representative, and Elma would have been very fresh when Ultimate's development started. I find it unlikely they would have a character with her abilities and scope of game and not put her towards the top of the list along with Inkling. "Worst" case, I think we get Elma, "best" case we might get Elma and Rex. If Rex isn't in the base game he'll definitely be DLC, Elma though I'm not sure they would if she doesn't make it to the base game.
Just thought I'd add that there is a free dlc voicepack for Japanese audio. I'm gonna try that later as its probably gonna be way better.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I like Elma although she's definitely underdeveloped, as is the rest of the cast, but her being this strong female badass lead figure really appeals to me and she sticks out strongly amongst the cast. Plus i love her design, the red and white sci-fi esque armour with white hair, tan skin and bright blue eyes goes so well together and is detailed without being overdesigned. And unlike Rex she's actually well voice acted.

It's ironic, because one thing that made Xenoblade 1 so good was the fact that it was one of the few RPGs starring an adult with a career and not some teenage kid with spiky hair and a brash attitude. I swear, every minute Rex is on screen he feels like he's only characterized the way he is because the creators know this is how RPG protags tend to be. I'm not saying any character that fits into a trope is bad, but Rex feels like he was written as a trope first and a character second.
This is so true, I have no idea how they got shulk so right but rex so wrong, in comparison to the first game the characters in 2 really feel like anime tropes and I hate it. You can really tell they were trying to appeal to a certain audience with 2, with everything from the characters to their designs to the story to the visuals.

Last edited:

Slavic

Just thought I'd add that there is a free dlc voicepack for Japanese audio. I'm gonna try that later as its probably gonna be way better.
I did get it but for the most part I love the charm of the European voices so I ended up reverting. Rex's voice is at least better than I expected, it's mostly Tora that gets real grating. Especially while collecting. Over. And over.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I did get it but for the most part I love the charm of the European voices so I ended up reverting. Rex's voice is at least better than I expected, it's mostly Tora that gets real grating. Especially while collecting. Over. And over.
"Meh Meh Meh!" "MEH MEH MEH!"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This is an old topic from a few hours ago but I wanted to clear a few things up. There seems to be a lot of misinformation and miscommunication.

It does make sense for Chrom to be an Echo of Ike.

Canonically, Chrom taught himself how to fight and he taught Lucina that style. While Lucina is an ancestor of Marth, uses his identity briefly, and shares a lot of visual aspects with Marth, Lucina is the one out of character. It wouldn't be wrong for Chrom to fight like Ike because he's supposed to be like Lucina, Lucina is the one who is supposed to be like Chrom. Chrom -> Lucina, Chrom is the originator.

Take for example in Warriors, Chrom and Marth were their own characters with original movesets. When Intelligent Systems pushed to add Lucina late in development, who did they make her a clone of? Was it Marth, the character who she's already been a clone of? No, it was Chrom, because Lucina is supposed to be like Chrom. Chrom not being like Lucina doesn't hurt him because he is the one staying most true to canon in the scenario that he takes Ike's brash and aggressive style that Chrom himself is known for. And bashing Chrom by saying Chrom and Lucina's swords are supposed to be the same, that it would be weird if Chrom wielded it two-handedly? That's the canon, the Exalted Falchion and the Parallel Falchion are big two-handed swords. Lucina's Parallel Falchion was sized down to fit Marth's Falchion. "Aether is Ike's signature move, no one else can use it!"... When Aether is a signature skill of Chrom and Lucina? Even in this cutscene, while not exact, Chrom is basically doing "the Ike jump spinny move". (You also see that they are using their Falchions two-handedly)

A lot of confusion and controversy comes with how Awakening was designed, it was basically a last-ditch effort to include basically every design and mechanic in the series in one large final amalgamation of a game. Even Sakurai called it the "definitive Fire Emblem". Lucina sharing Marth's visual design, Chrom having a brash non-royalty style like Ike, Genealogy's 2nd generation, Rescue being turned into pair-up, being technically set in Archanea, and other references littered everywhere. Pretty much everything in Awakening is a mix and match of old archetypes to call back old games with new tropes to appeal to a new audience. Lots of Awakening is inherently not unique, lots of it is designed to be like old things, so that's why Chrom makes sense as an Echo of Ike.

Do I want Chrom in Smash? Not really, he and Awakening have had their time, and I don't care for him too much. Should he be in? Yeah, Chrom should be in. While it would be a bit disappointing that 3/7 of the characters would be from one game, it's pretty much already there. Chrom has an HD model for Robin's victory animations and Final Smash. The fan demand exists, FE is mostly Awakening and Fates now and Awakening was still relevant near the ballot (Fates didn't even exist.) Chrom must've placed highly to get a Mii Costume for consolation. Chrom as Ike works, just make Eruption have white flames to represent the titular Awakening or electricity (don't know about that yet from Awakening but I know he uses it a ton in Warriors.). We've already gone over Aether, Chrom has the skill and can perform a move close enough to it. If Echoes have minimal changes like no tipper and Electroshock/arrow trajectory, this could be where Chrom could be a bit different by having his Aether a straight jump without the sword throw and a bit more horizontal movement than vertical. Other than those minimal changes, slap Chrom onto an Ike skeleton model and you're good to go. We have reason to believe that there is space for Chrom, Ike's Chrom inspired color palette has been removed and Robin's origianl Final Smash and victory animations which featured Chrom are no where to be found. Chrom is definitely possible as an Ike Echo, and he should be at least suspected as one. I'll start a petition to add in the Blazing Sword trio once it gets a remake though.
Yeah that makes sense.

(Though, to be honest, if I were to personally add an Ike Echo, it'd be Hector. It'd be kinda funny to see it like the opposite of Lucina. This time, he's just Ike with tippers.)

Graizen

Smash Champion
QUESTION:

In case a character from the Mortal Kombat series enters Smash Bros Ultimate, what character do you think it should be?

maxresdefault.jpg

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
have any new rumors or leaks come up. been working a lot and hadn't had timeto catch up. a friend of mine mention a rumor that there are still a dozen characters left to be revealed.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
have any new rumors or leaks come up. been working a lot and hadn't had timeto catch up. a friend of mine mention a rumor that there are still a dozen characters left to be revealed.
Nothing in the last few days, but Vega's theme has been announced to be part of the soundtrack. Maybe we'll see Claw as a newcomer

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Nothing really. You may be thinking of Vergeben's "around half a dozen characters to be revealed" statement, but other than that nothing substantial besides some wishlists passed off as leaks.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I really feel like Elma is a must this time around, if we even get another Xenoblade rep based on how possible it is for us to get very few new fighters.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Yeah that makes sense.

(Though, to be honest, if I were to personally add an Ike Echo, it'd be Hector. It'd be kinda funny to see it like the opposite of Lucina. This time, he's just Ike with tippers.)
I've had that idea but they'd have much too different anatomy. Ike is broad, but Hector is broad. No matter how big an infantry like Ike may be armors would need to have their own model. Though I do think that if Hector is implemented, he should be like Darius from League of Legends. A sweet spot on the head of his axe but a serious sour spot on the shaft. Marth tipper but on steroids.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Absolutely no way they would be putting someone from Xeno X and not Xeno 2 when Xeno 2 did so much better and has more recognizable characters.

Also Wario doesn't need 2 reps, Wario Ware is not a big enough franchise, if anything it'd be Waluigi but he's been ATed
I just love how you bring up Xeno 2's recognisable characters while, in the same post, dismiss a character who has more star power and is more recognisable than everyone in Xeno 2 combined.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Scorpion would be the only MK rep I could see getting in.

I just don't really see it being a strong possibility.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ayyy hello sweet new stock icons on here. That void left by Smash 4 finally filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom