• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Smash Ultimate looks insane, honestly the amount of everything put into this game is incredible.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I remember Brawlcentral too, is that site still a thing? Well thanks for rubbing the Brawl speculation nostalgia off of me....
Nah, it went down within a year after Brawl's release or so. I'm not entirely sure but I think it was hacked and used as an advertisement site of some sort, and later the domain name would just cease to exist. It's a shame as it was one of my first true internet community experiences, it would have been a huge nostalgia trip to be able to go back there, but on the other hand I'm kind of happy some of my reactionary posts to Ridley's deconfirmation aren't out there anymore :p

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
At this point I do think all the stages will return. I think they've shown so many to the point where it'd just be strange if the remaining stragglers weren't part of the package as well, especially with the theme of grand returns this game is going for. The only caveat would be if there was some specific extenuating hurdle. Like if Sakurai was against bringing back Miiverse without Miiverse. Or Pyrosphere now that Ridley is playable. Or maybe if one stage is very very similar to another (like Sector Z or a Flat Zone or something). But I wouldn't hang my hat on those.

That said, I really hope but don't think this "everything returns" theme will extend to all past cut ATs. :(
I really hope pyrosphere comes back just without ridley this time of course, living out that Samus versus Ridley fight on pyrosphere properly would be dope as hell.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I see your gut doesn't extend to Japan. Granted, that's probably healthier.
I mean yeah. Japan. I suppose, but even then was he this long wanted fan request reported all over the internet and talked about in discussions as much as Geno? Nah. He wasn't at the height of a lot of possible newcomer discussions during the Brawl period. It wasn't really until Smash 4's period I started hearing his name.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Found something that may hint at something singleplayer (or a cinematic final smash) Ike's first scene in the reveal seems to be slightly higher quality and there's no stage elements in view. @2:29 here.

Anyone else see it?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
SakBag.png

In this picture: Sakurai fighting with his second-born.

Not pictured: Disowned first born, Kirby, and adopted son, Pit.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Found something that may hint at something singleplayer (or a cinematic final smash) Ike's first scene in the reveal seems to be slightly higher quality and there's no stage elements in view. @2:29 here.

Anyone else see it?
I have my doubts that they'd tease a mode like this in this way but... DAMN this would get me so hyped...

I mean it can't be his Final Smash, that's already been shown off.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

Anyone else see it?
I think it's just a weird angle of a normal stage (not his FS, it's already been shown)

View attachment 148529

In this picture: Sakurai fighting with his second-born.

Not pictured: Disowned first born, Kirby, and adopted son, Pit.
I thought Sakurai said he'd be trying to take care of his arms, but now there goes his wrist...

Whababa

Smash Cadet
What do you guys think in terms of a new retro addition? I personally have wanted Bub :bubblebobble: from Bubble Bobble since Brawl, and the main reason he hasnt appeared has been because he is owned by Taito which is owned by Square. Now, however, I feel he has a shot, what with him being requested in the past and 3rd party issues not being as big of an issue.

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
As someone who's been lurking for the past month, and followed leaks since pre-Brawl days, I have to say I'm astonished at the "Vergeben's leak is fake, but if Ridley/Snake are revealed, we'll know it's true" transitioning seamlessly into "We all knew Ridley and Snake were in, easy guess, we'll know if he's lying by Wednesday".
Hindsight's 20/20.

I'm not sure the Vergeben doubters are familiar with how sources can work. Maybe his source said "everyone's back", and he inferred 'no cuts from the last Smash'. That type of statement would be suspect if he was the leaker, but he's not. He has a reported source.
Ice Climbers returning was a safe bet, I'll admit. However, saying Snake and Ridley were safe guesses is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard regarding Smash leaks.

Just my two cents.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What do you guys think in terms of a new retro addition? I personally have wanted Bub :bubblebobble: from Bubble Bobble since Brawl, and the main reason he hasnt appeared has been because he is owned by Taito which is owned by Square. Now, however, I feel he has a shot, what with him being requested in the past and 3rd party issues not being as big of an issue.
He is much too obscure and there are other Square characters who would get in over him.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think Sakurai might try to attempt his Excitebiker idea for the retro rep.

Especially considering he's not doing Takamaru obviously.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158

New York crowd reactions to returning characters.
This video annoyed me a little. The constant "SHHH", and they got a little too hyped at things that I thought were really obvious and not worth screaming over. Like, I expected them to get hyped over all characters returning, and Ridley. But they would get way too loud at every character (Like Mario and Samus... come on. No reason to be so loud other people can't hear). Feels like the new trend of fake reaction videos makes everyone feel like they have to overreact to everything now too.

The two guys holding each other though (At 21:42)- that was real, raw fanmanship, and I respect it!

Whababa

Smash Cadet
As someone who's been lurking for the past month, and followed leaks since pre-Brawl days, I have to say I'm astonished at the "Vergeben's leak is fake, but if Ridley/Snake are revealed, we'll know it's true" transitioning seamlessly into "We all knew Ridley and Snake were in, easy guess, we'll know if he's lying by Wednesday".
Hindsight's 20/20.

I'm not sure the Vergeben doubters are familiar with how sources can work. Maybe his source said "everyone's back", and he inferred 'no cuts from the last Smash'. That type of statement would be suspect if he was the leaker, but he's not. He has a reported source.
Ice Climbers returning was a safe bet, I'll admit. However, saying Snake and Ridley were safe guesses is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard regarding Smash leaks.

Just my two cents.
Vergeben means forgive in German and is used in a context such as when you deceive someone. Thought that was interesting but it prolly means nothing.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Honestly I can't think of a single retro that would be a great choice, I'd rather they just not do one at this point tbh. Although if I had to pick then I guess excitebiker would be neat although making a moveset for a character who's permanently on a bike sounds difficult, but I guess sakurai has done weirder things in the past

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>On Verge's Smash leak being wrong.

Can we like, wait until we know Simon and Minecraft content aren't in the game first before discrediting the leak?
Yeah, yeah, Verge is a shaky leaker.
But he's just the messenger. Go by the source.
He's had more than one Smash source, and the one that talked about Ridley being an E3 reveal, Simon being in the game, no cuts from Smash 4, Snake and the Ice Climbers coming back, and Minecraft getting content of some kind was the same source that told him about Jump Force's existence.
And nothing about the Smash leak had been wrong so far. So just be patient.

>On Chrom as an Ike Echo

Echoes are supposed to share the same basic stats and attack animations as the character they are echoing.
Sakurai has already stated that Chrom as a playable fighter would have been a middle ground between Marth and Ike in terms of speed and strength.
To be an Echo, Chrom would have to be just as slow, just as strong, and just as heavy as Ike.
This goes completely against the idea Sakurai had before.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Takamaru is out, I'll take Mach Rider please. May even lead to eventual Mach Rider revival.

Lip would be nice too, but as a Japan-only SNES character, I don't think she even makes it through all of Sakurai's hoops. :/

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hindsight's 20/20.

Just my two cents.
There are still people who try to argue that the Gematsu leak was fake and that Wii Fit Trainer and Villager were obvious additions, so it's not that surprising to me, people will do everything they can to try and dismiss leaks, either because they don't like the contents or to protect themselves from disappointment.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Shadow has been a straight clone in many Sonic games. He can do everything Sonic can do in Smash, though he does often use varied animations for some attacks, like his punches or more often karate chops. His design is basically Super Sonic recolored, but that's for in-game reasons too(he was based upon the mural of Super Sonic, which also explains why he was created to be a very strong character respectively).

He could work just as well as a clone, semi-clone, or unique too. Though mostly the former two.
Is it worth noting that he's only a clone in terms of platformers? In his actual fighting game appearance with Battle, he played virtually nothing like Sonic and mostly utilized Chaos powers and teleportation.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Honestly I can't think of a single retro that would be a great choice, I'd rather they just not do one at this point tbh. Although if I had to pick then I guess excitebiker would be neat although making a moveset for a character who's permanently on a bike sounds difficult, but I guess sakurai has done weirder things in the past
What about DigDug? :)

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Honestly I'm not too sold on AT's being able to be attacked and ko'd; it kind of kills their whole purpose, but I guess I'll learn to accept it.

Also, I'm just now realizing how happy I am that Daisy is actually a character; I've always found her personality fun as hell. She is just so random, and her manners and her voice are hilarious. YOOOO!

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
If Takamaru is out, I'll take Mach Rider please. May even lead to eventual Mach Rider revival.

Lip would be nice too, but as a Japan-only SNES character, I don't think she even makes it through all of Sakurai's hoops. :/
By the way have we seen Lip's flower as an item yet

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>On Chrom as an Ike Echo

Echoes are supposed to share the same basic stats and attack animations as the character they are echoing.
Sakurai has already stated that Chrom as a playable fighter would have been a middle ground between Marth and Ike in terms of speed and strength.
To be an Echo, Chrom would have to be just as slow, just as strong, and just as heavy as Ike.
This goes completely against the idea Sakurai had before.

That's true, however in Palutena's Guidance Viridi state that Chrom would just be a carbon copy of Ike-
Honestly, the best Idea if Chrom as to get in now, would be Either as a last minute Echo Fighters
Or as a normal Clone by sharin Marth/Roy/Ike moves, kinda how Wolf was a mix of multiple fighters-

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I watched a video earlier and I forgot what it was, but it was a large group of friends and a girl and guy turned to one another and hugged and squealed ''YASS *****." when Daisy showed up.

Seeing people happy is half the amazing part of Smash Brothers reveals for me.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As far as retro picks go, I'd probably go with Lip too. While there are screenshots with characters that have the flower effect on, the Lip's Stick item itself hasn't been spotted yet so I guess there's that at least. Not that I think she will happen but yeah...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Is it worth noting that he's only a clone in terms of platformers? In his actual fighting game appearance with Battle, he played virtually nothing like Sonic and mostly utilized Chaos powers and teleportation.
True.

I mean, it's kind of funny that Sonic's Down Air is Shadow's Air Attack from Sonic Battle alone.

Then again, Sonic The Fighters made the characters have a ton of similar attacks too. Sonic even has some moves from The Fighters.

I just think it's not that odd for him to play like Sonic again. Also, to be fair, Smash is a Platform(and Mascot) Fighter. XD

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
While that's true, shadow hasn't displayed those powers outside of sonic battle at all, in games like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06, he uses basic punches and kicks which match up with Sonic's moveset. Although I'd like to see him teleporting and using chaos powers, Sonic's moveset is in no way out of character for him, they could just give him a chaos control based final smash if they wanted to.

Sidenote I think it'd be neat if they added fire effects to his kick moves, he's using rocket skates after all and that'd be a cool way to differentiate them

What about DigDug? :)
He's a 3rd party character, I really doubt they'd do that for a retro

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's true, however in Palutena's Guidance Viridi state that Chrom would just be a carbon copy of Ike-
To which Palutena then mocked him for "not even having an Aether recovery" like Ike does.
And in the original Japanese, Viridi only said there would be "overlap" between him and Ike (as in Ike makes Chrom redundant), not that they are the exact same like she mocks him for in the English release.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While that's true, shadow hasn't displayed those powers outside of sonic battle at all, in games like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06, he uses basic punches and kicks which match up with Sonic's moveset. Although I'd like to see him teleporting and using chaos powers, Sonic's moveset is in no way out of character for him, they could just give him a chaos control based final smash if they wanted to.
Shadow karate chops and uses different kinds of kicks, actually.

But the fact of the matter is, he can easily do it and it wouldn't look that strange. They can always slightly alter the animations as is to be like a karate chop though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Fwiw, I do find Verg's claims at newcomers totalling out at around nine completely plausible.

Though he's said he is unsure as to whether than includes echoes or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom