• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Oh no, that's EXACTLY what I meant! I think Shadow would make perfect sense for a Sonic echo.

...I just want him to skate run.
oh well then nvm, but yeah if Lucina her different neutral b animation, Dark Pit his different final smash and all 3 with different taunts and stuff then Shadow not skating would be a travesty

Honestly of any echo characters they could add not many make as much sense as Shadow, and although I've stopped being into Sonic 7 year old me would be ****ing screaming if it happened.

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Has anyone brought this up yet?

Fox_Reflector_Counter_cropped.gif

In my obsessive scrounge for Fox gameplay, I found this.

Seems hitting the reflector counters the hit and turns Fox to face his attacker? Very strange - potentially an added effect to make the reflector more useful in MUs not consisting of a lot of projectile play.

D

Deleted member

True, but the Toad is less exclusively Peach than the frying pan from Super Mario RPG is.
Don't some Mario Party games involve using frying pans? I don't remember. :p
Oh no, that's EXACTLY what I meant! I think Shadow would make perfect sense for a Sonic echo.

...I just want him to skate run.
As someone who has wanted Shadow since Brawl and has had to put up with people saying things like "he's just a Sonic clone" and ignoring everything he can do that isn't just what Sonic does, the idea of Shadow being an Echo is bothersome to me, honestly.

Even if it makes sense and it would be a way for me to finally be able to play as Shadow in Smash, it's nothing like how I envisioned and would be a huge slap in the face for me.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
A LONG, LONG time ago, I came up with a moveset for Daisy and thought it would be cool if, instead of Toad, she summoned one of these dudes from Super Mario Land.

View attachment 148269

...But I guess most things from Super Mario Land never made it past that game, eh? Not like how Shy Guys and Birdo became more regular after Super Mario Bros. 2.
I'm still hoping that we can get some major Super Mario Land representation in Smash someday. Like a side-scrolling Chai Kingdom sky level for Daisy's home stage.
Seeing Super Mario Land levels and enemies recreated in glorious new 3D graphics would be amazing.

---

?????????????

Smash Master
As someone who has wanted Shadow since Brawl and have had to put up with people saying things like "he's just a Sonic clone", the idea of Shadow being an Echo is bothersome to me, honestly.

Even if it makes sense and it would be a way for me to finally be able to play as Shadow in Smash, it's nothing like how I envisioned and would be a huge slap in the face for me.....
I mean, yeah. Ideally, EVERYONE should be unique. I think Lucina and Daisy DEFINITELY have the potentially to be unique.

But, if you're gonna have "echoes"....well, Shadow stands out. Definitely COULD use chaos moves and such.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Has anyone brought this up yet?

View attachment 148272

In my obsessive scrounge for Fox gameplay, I found this.

Seems hitting the reflector counters the hit and turns Fox to face his attacker? Very strange - potentially an added effect to make the reflector more useful in MUs not consisting of a lot of projectile play.
That's an interesting find. Didn't see anyone do that in the dozens of gameplay videos I've watched, however I'm not sure why someone would try it seeing as it hadn't changed in 20 years. Curious if we're going to hear/see more about this.

Shroob

Sup?
On one hand, I'm more than okay with Sonic getting a second representative since Sonic and Mario are basically tied to the hip.

On the other hand, making Shadow an echo feels like such wasted potential when he's soo popular(For all the wrong reasons)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's not conclusive. People have made busy murals that link together so smoothly on each end that there's no clear center point (Escher made a couple of those iirc).

Yes, but you can very clearly see there's nothing about the characters making it a smooth connection, they're just overlapping a little. Accordingly, it would be very easy to just push them out on each side a bit.
Take it up with the picture. The characters can move around, and the centre point may even change, but that's the current division, and I really don't see the background getting expanded.

osby

Smash Obsessed
On one hand, I'm more than okay with Sonic getting a second representative since Sonic and Mario are basically tied to the hip.

On the other hand, making Shadow an echo feels like such wasted potential when he's soo popular(For all the wrong reasons)

I think if he gets in, he's going to become an echo fighter because he's popular.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
In my equally as obsessive scrounge for Yoshi gameplay, the things I picked up were:

New ftilt. Instead of a round horizontal tail-whip, it's now a turnaround vertical tail-whip

Eggs bounce off the ground

Faster bair, but still 3 hits

Heavy/Super Armor during his Down B (which would be insane if this is true)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Don't some Mario Party games involve using frying pans? I don't remember. :p
Funnily enough there was a mini game about cooking steak in the new game for Switch, Super Mario Party today, so yes, Mario Party has included frying pans, but it's more about the fact I believe Sakurai has confirmed that Peach's pan is something he gave her from RPG.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I think if he gets in, he's going to become an echo fighter because he's popular.
That's kind of my gripe though. Making him a clone of Sonic feels wasted when he's popular for being Edgie the Hedgie. When people think of Shadow nowadays, it's all about the guns and that DAMN 4th Chaos Emerald.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe they'll just do a second mural.
Yeah, perhaps. I think it might be likelier they just replace the background, since the character artwork seems fluid and reusable; it's shared with the boxart and other key art.

I more wonder what happens in the interim though, when we get the next reveal and the one after that. Squeeze em in, I guess.

Well, there's still that gap in the loop.
And that placeholder Mr. Saturn but at this point I think I'm the only one believing it.
The gap is there so characters don't get cut off when it doesn't loop. On the site where it loops, the gap is closed significantly and there's overlap.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
That's kind of my gripe though. Making him a clone of Sonic feels wasted when he's popular for being Edgie the Hedgie. When people think of Shadow nowadays, it's all about the guns and that DAMN 4th Chaos Emerald.
I guess what I'm trying to get at is...I think that's going to pretty much be the case no matter who you add as an echo.

Even if it makes sense, they still have their own things they could be doing that'd be separate from whomever they're emulating.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
You can easily portray his personality without changing his attacks much from Sonic. Personally, that's what I like about Shadow, even if his character arc is going nowhere these days.

Shroob

Sup?
Granted, we also can't dismiss the fact that he COULD be an Assist Trophy still. We only saw what, 20 out of 50+?

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
does anyone know if Donkey Kong has a voice now instead of weird noises, need me some quality of life changes.

?????????????

Smash Master
Granted, we also can't dismiss the fact that he COULD be an Assist Trophy still. We only saw what, 20 out of 50+?
Right, it's more that it's still a viable possibility, unlike the seemingly "deconfirmed" assist trophies we've seen.

...Like poor Waluigi. I can really see him being the next "Ridley;" the character people say is impossible because of "X or Y reason Sakurai said he couldn't be in," but gets in due to a large fan following.

...As it is, I'm already getting the comments in my YouTube videos about why Waluigi is "impossible" or "stupid." Some things never change; now that it's not Ridley, it's someone else :rolleyes:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
But Dr. Mario has a cool new stomp!
I like how they took the time to change one of Doc's few unique moves from Mario's...and change it to another unique move.

Why?

Stomp does look cooler though.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think people are overthinking the Mr. Saturn thing. Pikmin are known for carrying items around, and Mr. Saturn is popular and a sentient item, adding to the humor of him being carried.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I do think the whole echo fighter thing has raised Shadow's chances to the point he is the most likely 2nd Sonic rep if there is one. And as someone who wants Tails, it's admittedly a bit disheartening. But I'd tolerate it for certain. Not all Shadow fans would be happy he has mostly the same moves as Sonic. But I'm sure Daisy fans are kinda going through the same thing when they had ideas for how Daisy could be unique. Dark Pit and Lucina also had ideas from their respective fans. Echo characters is all about easy characters to make that are pretty popular in their respective franchise fanbases that have a similar build to a character already in the game that won't take much development time.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to hope and pray that Birdo will be an echo for Yoshi

Her neutral B could be like DDD except it spits them out as an egg.

Remove the flutter jump and BOOM you got a bad ask character in smash

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I do think the whole echo fighter thing has raised Shadow's chances to the point he is the most likely 2nd Sonic rep if there is one. And as someone who wants Tails, it's admittedly a bit disheartening. But I'd tolerate it for certain. Not all Shadow fans would be happy he has mostly the same moves as Sonic. But I'm sure Daisy fans are kinda going through the same thing when they had ideas for how Daisy could be unique. Dark Pit and Lucina also had ideas from their respective fans. Echo characters is all about easy characters to make that are pretty popular in their respective franchise fanbases that have a similar build to a character already in the game that won't take much development time.
While they could be unique, just as any character would, the reason they're clones is that there's little to no chance of them getting in on their own merits anyway, either because there's characters that simply offer more than them, or are more important than them. Dark Pit would have to contend with Hades, Viridi, medusa. Lucina would have to contend with a million other fire emblem characters. Daisy with Paper Mario, Captain Toad and Waluigi. And shadow with Tails and Knuckles. The only reason they're in is because they can be clones and having them as clones is probably better than not having them at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom