• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I kinda hope we get both Codecs and Guidances back. Both of them include something Smash severely lacks imo, character interaction
Here's hoping that David Hayter being back means he's recording entirely new lines, rather than just having Snake's battle grunts and quotes ported from Brawl.

----

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Here's hoping David Hayter being back means he's recording entirely new lines, rather than just having Snake's battle grunt and quotes ported from Brawl.

----
Agreed 100%. The Codecs are the main reason I'm actually excited for Snake.

Granted, Japanese Colonel passed away in 2012, so that's going to be awkward.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I’m surprised I haven’t seen more talk about Ninten as an echo, he seems the second most likely one after Dark Samus and maybe Dixie.
Ninten as an echo fighter?

Since you asked for it N3ON N3ON @Rawkstar...

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 3.04.54 pm.png

It looks a little awkward since the screen blurred when it transitions across in the larger version, but its pretty clear Daisy isn't there and Mr. Saturn is.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why is everyone suddenly thinking about where to fit people in the mural when they could just expand more room in either direction? :073:

?????????????

Smash Master
The thing about echo fighters that concerns me is when the character doesn't fully translate well. I think Dark Pit and Lucina are fine, but...

Honestly, it's a little strange to see Daisy skip around and duck while covering her ears while Toad fights. It doesn't seem fitting...

If Shadow really DOES become a Sonic echo, I'm hoping he'll at least have a unique run animation.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
I havent been in this sub in four years and can I just say that im beyond hyped for this game and these next 6 months will be pure torture. Im just gonna drop a **** ton of what i predict could be next to come, and let me know what you guys think.

As far as newcomers i cant be anymore content with what we have now, but if I were predict whats to come I would go with atleast SEVEN more characters to come for the base game rounding up to 72 charcaters total for the base game.

1) Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven Rep)

Starting off with this series is a little funny cause out of all my picks, I see this character to be the least likely to join Smash. What keeps this character on my list is the rumors of its inclusion being in the last title even with the "Gematsu" leak. Though a leak could mean anything, the concept of the character seemed interesting and even hearing of their data within the game led me to believe they were close to being developed. If the chorus kids were to be a grouped character to work similar as the "ice climbers" or even "pkmn trainer" I could see why the character may have been scraped due to the 3DS limitations. Though this is only my speculation I would love to them represented in Smash, especially with their recent 2015 title Rhythm Heaven Megamix for the 3DS. Their moveset could heavily rely on rhythm timed movement bringing unique techniques to the table.

2) Decidueye (PKMN Gen 7 Rep):

Sun & Moon representation is already shown to be in game so it wouldnt be to farfetche'd to see something from the 2016 title. With now 9 PKMN characters represented in smash (7 if were talking slots) we have some popular new Alolan Pkmn to choose from. Lycanroc, Mimikyu and Incineroar seem to be a strong lead
as far as plausible picks but for me Decidueye takes the cake with his Grass/Ghost typing, unique possiblities in its moveset and final smash being its Spirit Shackle Z Move.

3) Spring Man (ARMS/Orginal Switch Title):

The 2017 title would well represent one of the Switch's new series and fits the theme of smash perfectly. His techniques and attacks could be creatively implemented, and his inclusion would add a nice modern day representation to smash ultimate.

4) Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles):

A tough one to think about here (If we dont get two playable reps in this series). Elma from "Xenoblade Chronicles X" in the 2015 title, one the main characters in Chronicles X could provide a great addition to the xenoblade franchise. But i have both a weak and strong argument aganist tge characters inclusion if we were to choose ONE new rep. The weaker argument is that the players avatar was the true protagonist throughout the game compared to Xeno 2 where you play as Rex & Pyra, the stronger argument is Xenoblade 2 is very popular and with Ultimate coming to the switch and the game going to be atleast a year old by its release, I could see Rex getting implented especially since the game considered the 2nd in its series. (The alternative for Elma in my case would be her as an assist trophy).

5) Byleth (Fire Emblem Three Houses):

In the possiblity Sakurai goes all out in this new title and we dont see DLC, i wouldnt be suprised if we see the protagonist from the new "2019 FE" title be included. Just like Roy and Corrin he would be a character put in without the charcters game of origin even being sold in stores (though Fates was out in Japan in 2015 but not the US). He would most likely end up the last character you battle in Allstar mode since he would be the newset among every other fighter.

6) Simon Belmont (Konami/Popular Classic):

The vampire slayer being hinted in recent leaks from "Vergeben", Snake returning as a veteran and Bomberman as an assist trophy only makes his inclusion seem more plausible and could be a great way to represent one of konamis greatest series that exceled on the nintendo back in the 80s. Naturally I could see them using his classic design other then Simons more recent appearences.

7) Rayman (Ubisoft Representaion):

From a trophy in the previous smash to being playable in the best iteration yet. His inclusion would honestly top the game off and the Rabbids as an assist trophy wouldnt hurt especially with their recent popularity with the Mario & Rabbids game

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Daisy seems like herself to me. I think they captured her personality pretty well. It'll also be more fitting to see her with the smashes that include the sports items than it will Peach since she's more synonymous with them.

?????????????

Smash Master
Daisy seems like herself to me. I think they captured her personality pretty well. It'll also be more fitting to see her with the smashes that include the sports items than it will Peach since she's more synonymous with them.
Well, maybe I'm overthinking it then. Hearing that from you makes me feel a lot more at ease.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm honestly still in sheer shock from the roster. 68 Fighters with at least a few more on the way, spanning over 30 years of gaming history, with 31 different franchises currently represented. Who would've guessed Smash would look like this way back in 1999?

At this point, I just say bring back every stage. Upgrade 'em all to HD. And if you ask me, Miiverse can come back. Just use pre-selected pictures from Wii U and maybe have some sort of fan contest using a custom "Miiverse Mural" program to make some for the new fighters.

As for Assist Trophies, I am supremely happy that best squids are making their way into Smash in some form. We better get that sweet 'n' Spicy Calamari Inkantation remix on Moray Towers. But if nothing else, we at least get to hear the original when the Squid Sisters appear.

Speaking of Moray, what a unique stage to pick for Smash. I would've figured they would've gone with Inkopolis Plaza but having a battle arena from Splatoon works great too! And it just so happens to be my personal favorite map of the first game as well.

Stage hazards no more! Finally!

It'd be pretty cool if we could set the rarity of Pokémon and Assist Trophies as well - that way I could have my squid waifus all day, erryday.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
If you look at the edges the mural loops.

View attachment 148267
But there's a very clear gap, as opposed to the clearly interwoven composition that the rest of it has. It would be perfectly plausible that the middle could be expanded to make room for more characters (probably on the left side of the original since Robin was clearly meant to look alone in his corner).

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I wonder how they'll handle Peach's frying pan when it comes to her though. What will her replacement item be?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
After looking over all the footage one last time, I believe I can say that Miis customs have definitely returned.

We have clear footage of not only Mii Gunner using both laser shot and charge shot, but we also have evidence that Mii Brawler has both Feint Jump and Head-On Assault, which are both Down Specials for it.

So it seems that Miis will retain their move variability, even though Palutena will not.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
All I know is I hope that we can purchase that mural one it has been entirely completed. I'd totally frame it and put it on my wall.

Also, maybe Daisy could pick up different rare items in comparison to Peach's neutral B, like picking up Wii Fit's soccer ball.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Well, maybe I'm overthinking it then. Hearing that from you makes me feel a lot more at ease.
Her idle stance is far less dainty and typically princess than Peach

She does this which is never something Peach would do:

Her victory screen we saw is also pretty spunky and fits her:

I'm assuming this is a taunt of hers as well and it's a pose she's done before:

So yeah I think they captured her attitude well. While she's not entirely representing everything her fans wanted her to do and represent. She's still very much herself in attitude and spunk. Top off the fact that Peach already has built in sports items in her moveset and you kinda do have Daisy representing the sports spin-offs in a way.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's a fine space between Robin and Dr. Mario literally just putting an object on something that just looks like | to him.
What?

But there's a very clear gap, as opposed to the clearly interwoven composition that the rest of it has. It would be perfectly plausible that the middle could be expanded to make room for more characters (probably on the left side of the original since Robin was clearly meant to look alone in his corner).
Well the gap is clear because that's the division on the mural. On the site where it's constantly scrolling, everything is tighter together.

Shroob

Sup?
My only gripe is, if we do get DLC, and we DO get Guidance/Codecs, I really hope they're not placeholders like what we got in Smash4.

D

Deleted member

I wonder how they'll handle Peach's frying pan when it comes to her though. What will her replacement item be?
If they didn't replace the Toad with something else, I don't see a reason to replace the frying pan.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Her idle stance is far less dainty and typically princess than Peach

She does this which is never something Peach would do:

Her victory screen we saw it also pretty spunky and fits her:

I'm assuming this is a taunt of hers as well and it's a pose she's done before:

So yeah I think they captured her attitude well. While she's not entirely representing everything her fans wanted her to do represent. She's still very much herself in attitude and spunk. Top off the fact that Peach already has built in sports items in her moveset and you kinda do have Daisy representing the sports spin-offs in a way.
Yes this is the perfect embodiment of how far having a different personality and not much else will get you in Smash. :p

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The thing about echo fighters that concerns me is when the character doesn't fully translate well. I think Dark Pit and Lucina are fine, but...

Honestly, it's a little strange to see Daisy skip around and duck while covering her ears while Toad fights. It doesn't seem fitting...

If Shadow really DOES become a Sonic echo, I'm hoping he'll at least have a unique run animation.
I think Sonic's moveset is generic enough that having Shadow doing the same attacks wouldn't be completely out of place. As long as they do him justice in the taunts, victory animations, idles and give him his signature skating run then I think he'd look perfectly fine. In terms of gameplay let's not forget that he was a clone of sonic in Sonic Adventure 2 and Heroes to begin with, as well as just recently in Forces.

Shroob

Sup?
I think Sonic's moveset is generic enough that having Shadow doing the same attacks wouldn't be completely out of place. As long as they do him justice in the taunts, victory animations, idles and give him his signature skating run then I think he'd look perfectly fine. In terms of gameplay let's not forget that he was a clone of sonic in Sonic Adventure 2 and Heroes to begin with, as well as just recently in Forces.
I know it's more a meme, but when it comes to Shadow, I prefer the hilariously edgy version looking for that DAMN fourth Chaos Emerald.

?????????????

Smash Master
If they didn't replace the Toad with something else, I don't see a reason to replace the frying pan.
A LONG, LONG time ago, I came up with a moveset for Daisy and thought it would be cool if, instead of Toad, she summoned one of these dudes from Super Mario Land.

Pionpiartwork2.PNG

...But I guess most things from Super Mario Land never made it past that game, eh? Not like how Shy Guys and Birdo became more regular after Super Mario Bros. 2.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yes this is the perfect embodiment of how far having a different personality and not much else will get you in Smash. :p
Hey. I'm guilty of calling out this in the past too, but as a Mario fan through and through? I'm happy for Daisy. She's deserved some spotlight and time to shine. I'm happy for most of her fans as well, well all of them except one in particular, but we shan't go there.

And if the series does carry on in the future? Hey! Now she at least has her foot in the door and the potential to diversify herself from Peach even further, which is what she's needed for years.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Oh no, that's EXACTLY what I meant! I think Shadow would make perfect sense for a Sonic echo.

...I just want him to skate run.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Well the gap is clear because that's the division on the mural.
That's not conclusive. People have made busy murals that link together so smoothly on each end that there's no clear center point (Escher made a couple of those iirc).
On the site where it's constantly scrolling, everything is tighter together.
Yes, but you can very clearly see there's nothing about the characters making it a smooth connection, they're just overlapping a little. Accordingly, it would be very easy to just push them out on each side a bit.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Hey. I'm guilty of calling out this in the past too, but as a Mario fan through and through? I'm happy for Daisy. She's deserved some spotlight and time to shine. I'm happy for most of her fans as well, well all of them except one in particular, but we shan't go there.

And if the series does carry on in the future? Hey! Now she at least has her foot in the door and the potential to diversify herself from Peach even further, which is why she's needed for years.
I haven't been in Mario/Smash social gatherings long and even I know who you're talking about

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Throughout E3, Nintendo was emphasizing "original 12 original 12 original 12"

Luigi and Jigglypuff aren't on the cover art...
Does it really matter though? It's just the cover, and I say that as someone who'd like Jigglypuff to be on literally everything. They're in the game, they're fine lol.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I said it yesterday, but I will say it again, the sounds effects in this game are awesome.

Even light hits sound like they break all your bones lol.

Listen to Palutena's Up Tilt.

osby

Smash Obsessed

And if the series does carry on in the future? Hey! Now she at least has her foot in the door and the potential to diversify herself from Peach even further, which is why she's needed for years.
I think she'll stay the same. Dark Pit and Lucina seems same to me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I don't have anything against Daisy. I actually did say she'd make a fine clone, I just also questioned her support and her potential since this was about as far as I ever saw her getting. (Remember this was in those crazy old days where people didn't advocate for clones :p). But good for her. I hope we get a "Hi I'm Daisy!" taunt. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom