• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
How about an Echo fighter getting in as Free DLC in an update? Probably alongside an Actual fighter getting in as Paid DLC
Would make sense to us but I feel like some people might be confused as to why some charactera are free and others aren't.

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
How about an Echo fighter getting in as Free DLC in an update? Probably alongside an Actual fighter getting in as Paid DLC
That sounds perfect, tbh. I've never been opposed to Echo Fighters/clones, I like how you can choose a different character to alter your playstyle (especially Lucina). But putting them at full price is kind of disrespectful to characters that are much more unique.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Don't lie to me. How many of you saw the "Everyone is here!" trailer, got hyped for all the characters, saw the title reveal and thought, "Wait, where the **** is Luigi and/or Yoshi?" Honest answers...
Why would I question something so obvious like that when there’s more worries on how sexy everyone butt Snake looks
I just remembered Virdi comparing Chrom to Ike in smash 4

Sakurai probably would make him an Ike echo
Or make sure he isn’t playable so that Viridi can keep roasting him
Genius
Best design in the game imo. Wolf is 2nd. He looks like he's about to straight up murder Fox:

All Wolf needs is an awesome voice and he’s set

Iridium

Smash Hero

Well, this is something for sure.

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
What if, by paying for online, you receive the DLC characters for free? that's a way to make more people pay for online and at the same time get some money with the DLC characters.
Yes they could give us like an echo fighter per month or per 2/3 months between the ''true'' newcomers, so that people wouldn't be mad about paying for a clone, and would still be hype

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Well, this is something for sure.
Next tweet

"I have no sister"

D

Deleted member

Don't lie to me. How many of you saw the "Everyone is here!" trailer, got hyped for all the characters, saw the title reveal and thought, "Wait, where the **** is Luigi and/or Yoshi?" Honest answers...
I was too anxious waiting for them to show Mega Man (which was revealed before Luigi and Yoshi, which made the wait more painful to me)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I didn't notice anyone missing since I was confused by what I was being shown.

I really didn't think they were going to show the entire roster until Snake happened. Everyone is Here and the music changing tempo was a holy moment in Smash history.

I do think they missed a trick by not keeping ICs and PT after Snake though. Now that would be a rapid fire of hype.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Does 8 more newcomers (including some being Echoes), and 5 DLC Characters later on sound like a plausible nee probable outcome?

Edit: That make for 79 characters after it’s all said and done.

Last edited:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
other thing is, we need to unlock RIGHT NOW 60 characters because we start with 8, ( dont forget echos are 3 so we have right now 68)
we right now have 83 confirmed stages RETURNING so there might be 100 stages, and MAYBE unlockable alternative stuff like skinns
we could clock out with 70 individual fighters ( so 5 more brand new fighters), 100 stages and a total of 8 echo characters or so ( they dont need much time, just a different model which is mostly the same as the original, and some slight different blancing on the exact same moves)

how do we unlock all this?
we need some huge and INTERESTING way to unlock this, sakurai himself said he wants to make the unlock ways interesting
so what do you think how we do all this?

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
I would be fine with only 7-8 newcomers honestly
The roster is already almost perfect, just a little bit newcomerrs would help it feels like a true sequels (and it would close the mouth of the one who complain about Smash U being a enhenced port, sigh)

Shroob

Sup?
I watched a little bit of Treehouse before Xenoblade 2 stuff, and god its hard to watch this. I litterly saw them play a match you can easily set up in Smash Wii U (Ike and Pit on Skyworld). I have no idea why they are showing this off so much at Treehouse. At least when they did 3DS they showed off other modes. Here its just more Smash matches. I want to like this game but its too depressing.

Yeah, that was the sticky thread.

You also have to consider that Smash use to dominate the discussion. Now it has a thread or two and a few of them die on page 7 or 8. You get some, but its far fewer in number and I expect it will dwindle after E3. The excitement wont be there for this one.

When people wanted all the characters back, it was always with the preface that we get a lot of other stuff too. Remember that Smash would add 12 characters and a ton of new stages (think Brawl had 30 new ones, Smash 4 had 50+ in total). Here, we're trading new content for old. It sounds cool in theory but I don't think it will work in practice. What dominated the discussion was new stuff. Even now, its new characters that most people are talking about, but with fewer characters, there's less to talk about. I don't think this will translate into excitement. My hope is that the inevitable Smash Direct is focused on the new stuff and they just wanted to start with the old stuff. Maybe they can make this game like Splatoon and have it keep updating (which this game lends itself to very well). I feel like that's the only thing that can save it.

You have to have a reboot. I don't see another way. Even if you try and cut, you'll still end up with a 50-60 character roster at the end of it.

There are two things I think Smash has to do. First, it can't be beholden to its past. You have to be willing to axe things that aren't relevant and change characters how they need to be changed. Feel free to remix characters. Second, you have to refocuse the game. Smash Bros "hey all the characters are back" is what happens when you go down the path of characters and not Nintendo. The later keeps a certain focus and permeates into other elements of the game like the stages, items and even the Adventure Mode. Smash has been focusing on "characters" but you can only go so far with that. Smash Wii U was focused on "unique" characters as well as having big names. Smash Bros "hey all the characters are back" is focused on just that. With nowhere else to go, it focuses on ALL the characters.

The way I'd handle it is this: look at what Nintendo has released in the last 10 years. These are you "key" series. Anything not in there isn't key. Basically, if someone told you to make a Nintendo All-Star game today, with no knowledge of Smash Bros's history, what would you come up with. That's the approach the series needs after this Smash Bros.
Frankly put, a terrible idea.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite kind of proves how powerful a fanbase scorned is.

Yes, MvsCI failed a lot due to technical ****, but at the same time, the roster was just awful due to legal conflicts, and focusing more on the 'relevant' series than actual fan favorite characters(Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, EVERY X-Man, etc).

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
other thing is, we need to unlock RIGHT NOW 60 characters because we start with 8, ( dont forget echos are 3 so we have right now 68)
we right now have 83 confirmed stages RETURNING so there might be 100 stages, and MAYBE unlockable alternative stuff like skinns
we could clock out with 70 individual fighters ( so 5 more brand new fighters), 100 stages and a total of 8 echo characters or so ( they dont need much time, just a different model which is mostly the same as the original, and some slight different blancing on the exact same moves)

we need some huge and INTERESTING way to unlock this, sakurai himself said he wants to make the unlock ways interesting
You get coins for playing Smash Tour, you insert those coins into a gachapon machine that gives you a random character, possibly a repeat.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I didn't notice anyone missing since I was confused by what I was being shown.

I really didn't think they were going to show the entire roster until Snake happened. Everyone is Here and the music changing tempo was a holy moment in Smash history.

I do think they missed a trick by not keeping ICs and PT after Snake though. Now that would be a rapid fire of hype.
We needed to keep our hype separated before Ridley popped up
So guys, I don't think it's neither a port, nor a new game. I think it's an Echo Game.
Mirrors every other game before...woah

to makes things worse we might have every single Smash stage + new ones in the game
*also we might start with 12 characters...maybe even 14 if he wants to keep:4pit:and a 3rd party like:4sonic:as starters*
You get coins for playing Smash Tour, you insert those coins into a gachapon machine that gives you a random character, possibly a repeat.
Classic Mode = Smash Run with a certain character to unlock characters > Amiibo to quickly gain a character >>>> Smash Tour

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
I would be fine with only 7-8 newcomers honestly
The roster is already almost perfect, just a little bit newcomerrs would help it feels like a true sequels (and it would close the mouth of the one who complain about Smash U being a enhenced port, sigh)
Same here. I honestly think if you add King K. Rool, and possibly Dixie Kong, then the roster is perfect even at that point. I really just think it's missing without those two because you could make the argument that at least one of them should've already been in by now, and Donkey Kong is severely lacking in content to begin with.

blackghost

Smash Champion
imo most likely echo fighters
dark samus, chrome, isabel ( very unlikely), shadow.

new charatcers left to show off: i'm taking the name Ultimate to heart. for me this is crash. he is one of the very few characters that would draw in a lot of attention right before launch.

and stop thinking we will get DLC for free. that is reaching into entitlement territory. we are getting a game with at least 68 characters and like 60 plus stages and none one thinks they are close to being done..

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
Even better, after you get them from the gachapon, you have to beat them in a game of Smash Tour.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
All Wolf needs is an awesome voice and he’s set
Hmm...I actually wonder which one would suit this design more: Southern gruff accent or British? I am leaning towards the latter personally.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Echo Fighter Concept/Prediction #1:

Ninten ε
ae8.png

Special Moves:
Neutral Special: Hypnosis (functions the same as PK Flash, but makes opponents dizzy instead)
Side Special: PK Fire
Down Special: PSI Magnet
Up Special: PK Thunder

Final Smash: EVE (with Ana and Lloyd)

I'm also hoping to see Dry Bowser. Who knows? We may even get Ms. Pac-Man.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I know it's late, but here's my Wishlist:

Lyn
Krystal
Shantae
Sora
Amaterasu
Rayman
Lycanroc
Gardevoir
Wolf
Ice Climbers

Celica
Micaiah
Impa
Mipha
Phosphora
Elma
Zero (From Megaman Zero)
Kat (Gravity Rush)

A bit long but that's my Wishlist. Two of my characters are disconfirmed, but as Assist Trophy, it proves that they get some type of recognition from Sakurai plus two confirmed is pretty good too. The rest on my list are safe for the time being so only time will tell what happens to them.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone tell me if rage is in Ultimate and how it works? Feels like no one even mentions it. I've seen characters start steaming at 120% but I don't notice any increase in knockback.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Does 8 more newcomers (including some being Echoes), and 5 DLC Characters later on sound like a plausible nee probable outcome?

Edit: That make for 79 characters after it’s all said and done.
Actually that would make for 81. We have 68 playable characters (Lucina, Dark Pit, and Daisy aren't counted). I think 12 newcomers is best, as it brings us to an even 80 characters. That's a clean, marketable number of characters. Make 10, 15, or 20 DLC characters to bring the count to 90, 95, or dare I say 100 fighters (the same number of fighters as Smash Bros. Infinite).

I would say that half of those characters are new, and half are Echo Fighters to cut development time down. So 16 new characters and 16 echo fighters.

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
"Change into"?

Pretty sure Echoes get spots on the roster and just aren't glorified costumes.

You can see Marth and Lucina being separated when Sakurai is describing unlocking characters.
Ya given that Lucina appears separately from Marth when Sakurai's talking about unlocking fighters, I'd say they're definitely separated.

Echo characters are literally just another name for clones. It's Sakurai's answer to his frustrations at people being upset with the clones in Smash 4 and thinking that they "took up roster spots."

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Wish list update then:

Wolf
King K. Rool
Phoenix Wright
Ridley
Black Shadow
Snake
Ice Climbers

Dixie Kong
Pichu
Master Chief

Lol I'm livin'

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace

Ninten ε
View attachment 148200
Special Moves:
Neutral Special: Hypnosis (functions the same as PK Flash, but makes opponents dizzy instead)

I honestly would no be surprised with this at all, especially considering all the attention Earthbound seems to be getting. Nice, do you plan to do more?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So it looks like only a handful of people were wondering whether Luigi and/or Yoshi was when the title was revealed. That's no good!! And no, just "assuming" they would be there is no excuse.

Luckily I'll do my best to change that!!!

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
Maybe a story mode where you start with the original characters from smash 64 and expand from there.
That would be nice but you know sakurai is finicky,I'd be satisfied with something like melee and have a adventure mode with in game cut-scenes that way he won't be all mad about it again

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
So it looks like only a handful of people were wondering whether Luigi and/or Yoshi was when the title was revealed. That's no good!! And no, just "assuming" they would be there is no excuse.

Luckily I'll do my best to change that!!!
Yoshi's my third favorite Nintendo character behind Donkey Kong and Fox, so I was actually wondering where he was myself haha. Though, I wasn't really concerned due to the "Everyone is here" message.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

Ninten ε
View attachment 148200
Special Moves:

It feels weird to seriously speculate the likes of Dry Bowser, but in a good way.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I honestly would no be surprised with this at all, especially considering all the attention Earthbound seems to be getting. Nice, do you plan to do more?
I was gonna do Dry Bowser, Ms. Pac-Man, and maybe Impa. The reason I was gonna do Ms. Pac-Man, is because it seems Knuckles may have actually replaced Shadow as an assist trophy, so maaaaybe that's an indication that Shadow is being updated to a playable character.

Ya given that Lucina appears separately from Marth when Sakurai's talking about unlocking fighters, I'd say they're definitely separated.

Echo characters are literally just another name for clones. It's Sakurai's answer to his frustrations at people being upset with the clones in Smash 4 and thinking that they "took up roster spots."
I am so glad that he made a more respectable term for them. Clone is such a negative term that it's practically an insult.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yoshi's my third favorite Nintendo character behind Donkey Kong and Fox, so I was actually wondering where he was myself haha. Though, I wasn't really concerned due to the "Everyone is here" message.
Yoshi and Luigi are my absolute two favorite characters of all time. In fact, if Yoshi was never created, my profile would be nothing but Luigi. Can you imagine how someone like me would feel?

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Actually that would make for 81. We have 68 playable characters (Lucina, Dark Pit, and Daisy aren't counted). I think 12 newcomers is best, as it brings us to an even 80 characters. That's a clean, marketable number of characters. Make 10, 15, or 20 DLC characters to bring the count to 90, 95, or dare I say 100 fighters (the same number of fighters as Smash Bros. Infinite).

I would say that half of those characters are new, and half are Echo Fighters to cut development time down. So 16 new characters and 16 echo fighters.
100 characters is a lot. I think the highest the roster could go without getting too crazy and unmanageable would be a solid 80 like you were saying, but that’s a solid 80 post-DLC. So I guess I just need to remove one character I have in mind.

Side note: Do we know if Verg leak is legit? I see no Simon Belmont.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Yoshi and Luigi are my absolute two favorite characters of all time. In fact, if Yoshi was never created, my profile would be nothing but Luigi. Can you imagine how someone like me would feel?
I'd be honored to have my favourite character be the grand-final reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom