• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
People must accept that having 70+ characters is already hard to develop let alone asking for 13+ more characters while trying to balance all of them. Have you ever tried developing a game; not easy work ? The simple fact that we only have 6 months left since smash ultimate was announced and that we only had inklings and Ridley announced (non-clones) since smash 5 was announced for switch leaves me to believe there A.) Fewer newcomers and Sakurai is spacing them out ( 1 a month? Possibly) or B.) There will be characters hidden from the public until release.

I honestly just don't see them having a 80+ roster on release within a 4 year span of Smash 4 being released and supported by DLC/patches and with Sakurai comments about working during smash 4. I can see around 7-10 newcomers in Smash Ultimate. I hope I'm wrong of course.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Here’s something.

When Ridley was revealed, he got a splash screen just like everyone else in Smash 4.

So with that in mind, what do you think the Splash screen for you favorite character will be if they got in?
For my favorite, I'd go with...

"King K. Rool is krowned for battle!"

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
How would you personally feel if, instead of Ken, Akuma was chosen as an echo fighter?
I would prefer Ken as a character, but Akuma makes a little bit more sense in modern incarnations since he actually has all of Ryu's specials. The only difficulty is that he doesn't have Ryu's command normals, but that only accounts for two standard attacks. Might also want to angle aerial Hadouken downward, that shouldn't be too much to ask.
On the bright side, Raging Demon fits perfectly with the new philosophy about fast Final Smashes.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Just updated OP with first 12 characters and new logo but I will gradually update the OP over the time so please be patience with me :)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Only one thing is certain:

If Sakurai tries to pass off an Echo Fighter as DLC, there will be plenty of backlash.
Honestly I think Echo Fighters as DLC is completely okay. There's a reason they emphasized it in the E3 presentation. I imagine that characters will come in packs or duos, where you get 1 new fighter and 1 echo fighter, or 2 new fighters and 1 echo fighter, or something like that. Echo Fighters are a good thing in my opinion. More characters, more representation, more ways to play.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I'm a bit rusty with Street Fighter stuff. Would Sakura work as a Ryu Echo? iirc she was somewhat of a clone? I've only played IV on 3DS

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I watched a little bit of Treehouse before Xenoblade 2 stuff, and god its hard to watch this. I litterly saw them play a match you can easily set up in Smash Wii U (Ike and Pit on Skyworld). I have no idea why they are showing this off so much at Treehouse. At least when they did 3DS they showed off other modes. Here its just more Smash matches. I want to like this game but its too depressing.
It would be foolish to show off other modes this quickly after yesterday
People must accept that having 70+ characters is already hard to develop let alone asking for 15+ more characters while trying to balance all of them. Have you ever tried developing a game; not easy work ? The simple fact that we only have 6 months left since smash ultimate was announced and that we only had inklings and Ridley announced (non-clones) since smash 5 was announced for switch leaves me to believe there A.) Fewer newcomers and Sakurai is spacing them out ( 1 a month? Possibly) or B.) There will be characters hidden from the public until release. I honestly just don't see them having a 80+ roster on release within a 4 year span of Smash 4 being released and supported by DLC/patches and with Sakurai comments about working during smash 4. I can see around 7-10 newcomers in Smash Ultimate. I hope I'm wrong of course.
Well Sakurai did say to not expect many newcomers in the game, so excluding dlc I’d say 3-5 unique newcomers between now and November are most likely (echoes depends)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Don't lie to me. How many of you saw the "Everyone is here!" trailer, got hyped for all the characters, saw the title reveal and thought, "Wait, where the **** is Luigi and/or Yoshi?" Honest answers...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We all agree that Zelda looks great this time around?

Much more optimistic than BotW Zelda.
Another one of Sakurai's "thing you didn't know you needed" moments

Zeox

Smash Champion
Don't lie to me. How many of you saw the "Everyone is here!" trailer, got hyped for all the characters, saw the title reveal and thought, "Wait, where the **** is Luigi and/or Yoshi?" Honest answers...
Not me, I didn't even notice them missing.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
No newcomer reveals at Treehouse Live Day 2, i swear to god if there is a newcomer reveal on the last day of Treehouse Live, i'm going to drink a cup of toilet water.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
No newcomers at Treehouse Live Day 2, i swear to god if there is a newcomer reveal on the last day of Treehouse Live i'm going to drink toilet water.
Bowl or cistern?

D

Deleted member

Yeah three between now and launch seems about right. Especially since Nintendo's Q3/4 this year seem lighter than last.

Not even going to try predicting who might be coming though. Other than Simon. That leak seems worth keeping in mind.

Free characters, at all, seem optimistic to me. :/
I have no idea what this leak everyone keeps going on is about, but Simon would be cool.

I also feel popular picks are a very safe bet this time around given how limited the amount of newcomers will be this time around. So Sakurai will wanna satisfy as many people as he can with each pick.

How would you personally feel if, instead of Ken, Akuma was chosen as an echo fighter?
Overally I'd be OK with it. But I feel it HAS to be Ken, considering Echo characters are meant to be slightly tweaked clones, which is exactly what Ken is. Change some properties a bit. Make his Shoryuken be multihit and have a fire effect. Change a couple normals here and there. Boom. I mean, it's the classic. He's the OG clone character. Akuma does a lot more to distinguish himself from Ryu. He's got teleports, angled Hadoukens, he's more of a glass canon. He's got very different supers... etc...

That's true for DBFZ, but that's because they can escape from crossing fate having half the cast behind a paywall despite being recycled assets.
Cross Tag Battle lost me the moment they started adding the RWBY characters. So I never much cared.

Ironically enough, though I've never played a Senran Kagura game, having characters from that in CTB made it draw my attention. Might as well go all out and make it a waifu fighter I suppose. And now there's Rumors of a Trigger+ASW collab. So I guess they might add Kill La Kill characters? I might check the game out when it drops to discount, just to see what it's actually like, but I have no interested in spending time to get good at it tbh. Dragonball is really all I need for the moment with how little time I have to play anyway.

?????????????

Smash Master
Cross Tag Battle lost me the moment they started adding the RWBY characters. So I never much cared.
Ironically, the RWBY characters are what got me interested.

I've not spent much time on Arc System fighting games, besides Dragon Ball FighterZ and Guilty Gear, and, well...there's no Guilty Gear in that game, is there? :c

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I wondered where they were, but when they showed up I laughed. The little scene they had was cute. It seemed like Yoshi was saying, "That's Mama Yoshi to you!" I liked it.

People must accept that having 70+ characters is already hard to develop let alone asking for 15+ more characters while trying to balance all of them. Have you ever tried developing a game; not easy work ? The simple fact that we only have 6 months left since smash ultimate was announced and that we only had inklings and Ridley announced (non-clones) since smash 5 was announced for switch leaves me to believe there A.) Fewer newcomers and Sakurai is spacing them out ( 1 a month? Possibly) or B.) There will be characters hidden from the public until release.

I honestly just don't see them having a 80+ roster on release within a 4 year span of Smash 4 being released and supported by DLC/patches and with Sakurai comments about working during smash 4. I can see around 7-10 newcomers in Smash Ultimate. I hope I'm wrong of course.
While I definitely agree on 7-10 newcomers, Sakurai and his team work hard. This is a team that said, "we're reaching the upper limit of characters to add" and then added 17 characters (and then another 7 via DLC). I definitely think we'll see less newcomers than usual, but given the ease of creation for Echo Fighters I think we'll see around the amount of characters brought into Melee, which is 14 characters. I think we'll only see 5 more unique fighters, and then the rest will be Echo Fighters.

in all seriousness though, is anyone else expecting a newcomer reveal during Treehouse Live?
If we get something then we're getting it tomorrow on the last day of Treehouse Live, but I expect absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Hey does anyone know if the GameCube switch adapter is the same as the Wii U one? They look the same but just making sure.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
SOOOOO i am a bit late and honestly reading behind 40-50 pages is a nightmare, so i skipped most of them, just want to adress something that has propably been solved in these 40 pages but still

to all those complaining about ridleys design, this is NES ridley, he is supposed to look gross because ridley is based on Xenomorphs, and if you compair them they look very similiar
also
Meta ridley model is as i seee it the prime 1 version, so that model looks rly different from the other one

and then back to the topic
i believe we will get a clean 70 individual fighters and another 3-5 echo characters, such as chrom dark samus and i guess dixie king
simply because its very simple to just slap a new skin on characters and take a different balancing aproach on the kit they have, this would automaticly make many happy
i

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Yo.
I Main Luigi in every Smash game. I was definitely wondering.

D

Deleted member

Ironically, the RWBY characters are what got me interested.

I've not spent much time on Arc System fighting games, besides Dragon Ball FighterZ and Guilty Gear, and, well...there's no Guilty Gear in that game, is there? :c
Nah, it's just Blazblue, Persona, and UNIEL.

I haven't played UNIEL yet btw, I do wanna check it out. Heard a lot of good things about it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That really concerns me...
I didn't think about it. And I like both Luigi and Yoshi.

But I just assumed I blinked and I missed them, but there was never a fear they'd be removed or anything

I mean it's Yoshi and Luigi for god sakes. Lol.

in all seriousness though, is anyone else expecting a newcomer reveal during Treehouse Live?
I'm not Sakurai said he was going back to Japan and I doubt he would just be all ''Here play this. -hands usb thumb drive to Trinen-"

and Trinen is just like ''The **** do I need a thumb drive for?!"

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
From what I've watched, the Ice Climbers seem a lot like a glass cannon type of character. They look like they hit like a truck but Nana seems really punishable. I know a user said earlier that they seemed harder to separate, but I'm not sure that's the case. Perhaps in fast-paced itemless action, Nana will be easier to keep around. But the Treehouse guys, who aren't terribly good, were able to separate them and dunk Nana without her really doing much to avoid it. I hope they look stronger when there's not items and they're in more capable hands.
That was me. I honestly might have just better than the people I was playing with, LOL. But the few times I did get separated from Nana, she came right back. She seemed floaty enough to make it back to the stage on her own.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
What if they made a poll open to people who own Smash Switch where they have a list of characters they could make and know are popular (e.g. Takamaru, Waluigi, Krystal, the other new ATs, etc.) and then just produce the winner of that poll as a DLC character? That seems like a better system than the old poll because you won't get things like Shrek, or votes wasted on characters like Gooey who they'd never make anyway.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Sakurai's back in Japan. Do not get your hopes up for a reveal tomorrow.

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I think Echo Fighters as DLC is completely okay. There's a reason they emphasized it in the E3 presentation. I imagine that characters will come in packs or duos, where you get 1 new fighter and 1 echo fighter, or 2 new fighters and 1 echo fighter, or something like that. Echo Fighters are a good thing in my opinion. More characters, more representation, more ways to play.
Don't get me wrong, I love Echo Fighters, but they should definitely cost less or be bundled with other fighters. Paying full price for a character that is literally marketed as being nigh identical to one already available is absurd.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
That really concerns me...
I main Yoshi and didn't even notice.

I was too distracted by Snake and Pichu being back.

Last edited:

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
I main Luigi and I was too hyped to notice. Besides, they're shoe-ins anyways, and when I saw "Everyone is here!", I knew that everyone would be there.

Wasn't expecting Young link though, but it makes sense considering the link changes.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
SOOOOO i am a bit late and honestly reading behind 40-50 pages is a nightmare, so i skipped most of them, just want to adress something that has propably been solved in these 40 pages but still

to all those complaining about ridleys design, this is NES ridley, he is supposed to look gross because ridley is based on Xenomorphs, and if you compair them they look very similiar
also
Meta ridley model is as i seee it the prime 1 version, so that model looks rly different from the other one

and then back to the topic
i believe we will get a clean 70 individual fighters and another 3-5 echo characters, such as chrom dark samus and i guess dixie king
simply because its very simple to just slap a new skin on characters and take a different balancing aproach on the kit they have, this would automaticly make many happy
i
That's about we're I am with this roster

By the way dark Samus don't entirely bet on that because I just realized even though none of Samus' she alts are the dark Samus colors nor a assist trophy suggests this but... not all the alternates are implemented yet Ridley proves this since meta Ridley alternate costume cannot be used in the demo

I just hope everyone will be okay hearing this...

(Or whatever the siren noise is)

54+ times then defeating them
(Sakurai confirmed the only starters are the original 12 possibly 8 if :4falcon::4jigglypuff::4luigi::4ness: are unlockable like in 64)

No way they are removing that factor of unlocking characters

Last edited:

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
In my opinion, the new models look great, though. Ice Climbers look as pure as ever, Wolf looks sly and evil... The models are just over-all good.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Don't get me wrong, I love Echo Fighters, but they should definitely cost less or be bundled with other fighters. Paying full price for a character that is literally marketed as being nigh identical to one already available is absurd.
How about an Echo fighter getting in as Free DLC in an update? Probably alongside an Actual fighter getting in as Paid DLC

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think we may be getting character reveals at a faster rate than every two months. Taking a look at the list of Nintendo Directs there seems to have been one every month up until recently (November 2017 to be specific). Some of these are character specific directs, and some of these are Japanese only. That means that we should rule those out, right? I'd be willing to rule out game specific directs, as no characters were revealed in a game specific direct that didn't focus on Smash Bros. However, we can't rule out Japanese only directs as Shulk was revealed during a Japanese Nintendo 3DS direct of all things.

We may be seeing character reveals at a rate of 2 per month starting now, with every reveal being similar to Robin and Lucina's reveal trailer, where one new character and an echo character are revealed at once. It could even be said that the pattern started with Ridley and Daisy this month. Probably wishful thinking, but 6 new characters and 6 echo fighters is plausible to me. 12 total newcomers is the least amount of any game, and 6 of those characters would be easy to develop. Probably wishful thinking, but I think it's reasonable to say that this could happen.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Best design in the game imo. Wolf is 2nd. He looks like he's about to straight up murder Fox:

He also has the sexiest jacket I have ever seen. Like, "my dog, where did you get that?"

I don't know why but I really dig that purple jacket.

EDIT: The spikes are actually a little distracting. Make them a little less....gigantic and boy I would buy that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom