• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
From what I've watched, the Ice Climbers seem a lot like a glass cannon type of character. They look like they hit like a truck but Nana seems really punishable. I know a user said earlier that they seemed harder to separate, but I'm not sure that's the case. Perhaps in fast-paced itemless action, Nana will be easier to keep around. But the Treehouse guys, who aren't terribly good, were able to separate them and dunk Nana without her really doing much to avoid it. I hope they look stronger when there's not items and they're in more capable hands.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
No offence to geno fans but I'll be a little miffed if he gets in over Paper Mario or even Captain Toad, like I know he's popular but that's pretty much the only thing going for him and those 2 feel more deserving of being added at this point.
I would agree if it weren't for the fact that people want Geno so much, ans I think he would play much more interestingly. That is a fair point, though.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Or just add her and Sharla to his final smash. :4pacman: Just a joke though, Shulk already stole some moves from Reyn but it would be cool to see him as an assist using Aggro moves to boost your damage up or something.
I really wanted fiora to be an assist tbh but I guess not, throwing her into his final smash but not with the other party members is kinda weird. At least we'll get a high quality model at least which is nice *sigh*

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
No offence to geno fans but I'll be a little miffed if he gets in over Paper Mario or even Captain Toad, like I know he's popular but that's pretty much the only thing going for him and those 2 feel more deserving of being added at this point.
Honestley, i don't really understand the Geno hype, i think he'd be fun to play as at least.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I know it’s just a prediction but seeing Skull Kid on your list make me cry of happiness, makes me want to ask though, why is he?
Skull Kid is an insanely requested character much like Geno that comes from a Nintendo game with a huge cult following with an insane amount of move-set potential. Considering the bigger focus on demand, it is why I have chosen Skull Kid. I can see Sakurai letting loose and opening up to characters that have not seen significant roles in their respective franchise's new games. I personally believe that K. Rool, Geno, and Skull Kid were the most requested Nintendo characters in the Smash 4 Ballot that have remained demanded for a long period of time to warrant their spot on the roster. If Sakurai does not add them as characters, I will be pretty shocked. Though, I would not be shocked if Sakurai only added Geno as the one exception. If Sakurai is going for a dreamy route, then I see these characters happening.

Really no Impa Echo fighter? Why is that?
Quite simply, I capped at the character limit. Of all of the potential popular echo candidates, I personally think that Impa was less requested in the ballot than characters like Shadow and Dark Samus. Considering the possible Sonic AT replacement of Knuckles and the disappearance of Samus' Dark alt, it is why I chose not to include Impa.

Also don't let me talk you into it! I was one of the people who talked you out of Pokemon Trainer and you were right on it (to be fair I was talking against transformations returning for everyone, which I'm glad didn't happen).
Yeah, I kinda suspected that if transformations came back, Pokemon Trainer would be the only one to utilize the gimmick. I am very glad about being right on that aspect. Not sure how many remaining things I predicted will get right though. :p

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Predictions for E3 reveals. Ms. Pacman as an echo and Simon Belmont as a newcomer.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
So what's the consensus? Is everyone expecting Simon Belmont at this point?

Also, is there any direct feed anywhere where there isn't a bunch of people talking over the gameplay? I would like to hear some of the music and would love to see if David Hayter's voice for Snake is in the game yet.
Definitely feeling Simon is pretty likely.
I'm expecting 3-5 more newcomers besides simon, inkling, and ridley and possibly around 6-10 more echoes IMO, there's not going to be many more newcomers from what sakurai said but I think there's a good chance we see a few more echoes because they have a special term now.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I'm finding myself caring less about who "deserves" it. As it is, I felt Waluigi "deserved" it more than Daisy, and...what about Dixie vs. K. Rool? Who "deserves" it more?

What I like about Geno is what a fun Smash character he would be. Paper Mario could be interesting in the same way as well, but...I can't say I believe he would be more exciting than Geno.

...Just my thoughts.
Tbh Waluigi and Daisy are in the same boat it's just that one could be a clone and the other couldn't. Also Dixie would deserve it more, Rool been MIA for a lil while lol

I definitely think that if they're only putting one Mario character in aside from Daisy it should go to Toad, he's the biggest All-Star not in the roster already. I personally don't see how Geno (who has had just two appearances ever, one is a cameo) would be a good addition but that's just me.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
No, I get that he's confirmed that he's voicing him but I haven't heard a Snake voice clip yet to be able to tell if his voice is in the game yet, or if its his Japanese voice actor in this demo version.
His voice could be heard in the invitational. Seems it's just reused English lines from Brawl (for now, anyways).

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
No Reignited Trilogy on the switch really hurts my boy Spyro's chances... dang.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So what's the consensus? Is everyone expecting Simon Belmont at this point?

Also, is there any direct feed anywhere where there isn't a bunch of people talking over the gameplay? I would like to hear some of the music and would love to see if David Hayter's voice for Snake is in the game yet.
A bit iffy due to the Castlevania games he talked about being absent at E3 (at least currently). However, the leak where he was a part of (Snake, No cuts, Ridley, IC) was completely right, so it bodes very well for him.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Also, how many of us aren't sure there will be DLC at all? I, for one, think there will be little to none, especially in the character department. I could see them doing another ballot or something and adding 2 or 3 from that maybe, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up. The roster is already loaded as is, and there will almost certainly be more characters on the way for the base roster already.

As far as stages go, we already know of ~75 stages in the game. And that's including a minuscule amount of new stages, so we'll definitely see more from that for the base game. Are we already looking at 90+ stages? How many more could they possibly add?

I think this might be a completed game from launch day. Of course I want DLC characters, as I think that's the only chance Joker has at getting in :p But, in my opinion, things are looking rough for post-game content when considering the absurd amount of content we're getting from the start.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm finding myself caring less about who "deserves" it. As it is, I felt Waluigi "deserved" it more than Daisy, and...what about Dixie vs. K. Rool? Who "deserves" it more?

What I like about Geno is what a fun Smash character he would be. Paper Mario could be interesting in the same way as well, but...I can't say I believe he would be more exciting than Geno.

...Just my thoughts.
Dark Pit started it for me but I thought it would end, and then we got Daisy. After Daisy's reveal, who deserves it was completely thrown out the window for me. Hell returning characters like Pichu and Young Link don't deserve it in my book and now they're back. Yea I really think echo characters are gunna surprise us with who gets in now.

Morbi

Scavenger
Tbh Waluigi and Daisy are in the same boat it's just that one could be a clone and the other couldn't. Also Dixie would deserve it more, Rool been MIA for a lil while lol

I definitely think that if they're only putting one Mario character in aside from Daisy it should go to Toad, he's the biggest All-Star not in the roster already. I personally don't see how Geno (who has had just two appearances ever, one is a cameo) would be a good addition but that's just me.
Honestly, with Toad no longer coming out from under Peach/Daisy's dress, the appearance of blue Toad with Daisy and I believe he pummels for them during grab... Yeah, that dream is dead. Put all your chips on Captain Toad if that is the route you are going, if you ask me.

?????????????

Smash Master
Also, how many of us aren't sure there will be DLC at all? I, for one, think there will be little to none, especially in the character department. I could see them doing another ballot or something and adding 2 or 3 from that maybe, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up. The roster is already loaded as is, and there will almost certainly be more characters on the way for the base roster already.

As far as stages go, we already know of ~75 stages in the game. And that's including a minuscule amount of new stages, so we'll definitely see more from that for the base game. Are we already looking at 90+ stages? How many more could they possibly add?

I think this might be a completed game from launch day. Of course I want DLC characters, as I think that's the only chance Joker has at getting in :p But, in my opinion, things are looking rough for post-game content when considering the absurd amount of content we're getting from the start.
I really can't see them not tapping into DLC. It worked so well for Smash 4, and the interest is definitely already there.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I would agree if it weren't for the fact that people want Geno so much, ans I think he would play much more interestingly. That is a fair point, though.
He'd play interestingly for sure but Paper Mario and Captain Toad would honestly be just as interesting, he's popular for sure but if we're adding characters off the basis of popularity alone then characters like waluigi and lyn wouldn't still be assist trophies.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Honestly, with Toad no longer coming out from under Peach/Daisy's dress, the appearance of blue Toad with Daisy and I believe he pummels for them during grab... Yeah, that dream is dead. Put all your chips on Captain Toad if that is the route you are going, if you ask me.
Oh yeah I know Toad is dead, I refer to CT and Toad as just Toad :laugh:

Morbi

Scavenger
Dark Pit started it for me but I thought it would end, and then we got Daisy. After Daisy's reveal, who deserves it was completely thrown out the window for me. Hell returning characters like Pichu and Young Link don't deserve it in my book and now they're back. Yea I really think echo characters are gunna surprise us with who gets in now.
Echo characters are literally just the same as clone characters with a fancy new name because people whined. And to that end, you are not wrong. Clone characters have always been on the more "surprising" side because everyone speculates from the perspective of only big names making it into the game and blatantly disregard all of the trash tier characters we get as is.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
I think if they do incorporate DLC this game can have such a long lifespan. Make this smash a platform. And periodically release characters etc for the next several years.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
He'd play interestingly for sure but Paper Mario and Captain Toad would honestly be just as interesting.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't fully agree. I agree that Paper Mario and Captain Toad have plenty to work with to make fun, unique movesets, but...I believe Geno has a lot more that immediately stands out.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Skull Kid is an insanely requested character much like Geno that comes from a Nintendo game with a huge cult following with an insane amount of move-set potential.
Skull Kid is by no means a bad character for designing a moveset, but what makes you go that far? Sure, you could give him 4 specials and figure out something or other for standard attacks, but I don't see why he'd be considered especially compelling ,especially next to Geno, who certainly is.

Morbi

Scavenger
It’s still a bit unbelievable seeing people casually talking about Ridley as part of the roster.
Let us be real, if Sakurai was not incompetent, we would have had Ridley back in Brawl, or if not that early, definitely in Smash 4. Metroid is one of Nintendo's most prominent franchises and Ridley is literally the only character that makes sense. It would be a no-brainer if the "too big" culture never started.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It’s still a bit unbelievable seeing people casually talking about Ridley as part of the roster.
It's even more unbelievable that he's part of the roster to begin with.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't fully agree. I agree that Paper Mario and Captain Toad have plenty to work with to make fun, unique movesets, but...I believe Geno has a lot more that immediately stands out.
Like a gimmick involving timed attacks like in Super Mario RPG?

?????????????

Smash Master
Man, you know who would be a sweet echo fighter? Metal Sonic.
You know what would be GREAT with that!? If Sonic said in his taunt, "You're too slow!"
And then, in Metal Sonic's taunt, he says, in a robotic voice, "Your speed is insufficient!"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can't imagine they don't do DLC. Kirby has DLC. Zelda has DLC. Xenoblade has DLC. They're all in on DLC now. Moreover, Smash's DLC proved Nintendo's most profitable. I don't see them foregoing that. There is just too much to capitalize on, business-wise. Plus we would win too.

But no, I don't think we'll get another ballot so soon. This current one can still be mined for a while before a new one is needed.

Iridium

Smash Hero
No, I get that he's confirmed that he's voicing him but I haven't heard a Snake voice clip yet to be able to tell if his voice is in the game yet, or if its his Japanese voice actor in this demo version.
Oh. Well, maybe you should watch the gameplay from yesterday, as Nairo and MkLeo pulled out Snake in their own respective battles. Look for ZeRo vs. MkLeo at the invitational on Twitch.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
It's really hard to say how many we'll get, 70 is probably is the minimum imo or 7 new characters total. but I could also see them pushing it up to 75 with 12 total as well.

Or melia time, why wouldn't they add the greatest character to ever exist
12 is a magic number here for smash, the original 12 were mentioned when discussing the roster. Im still banking on 7 more though.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Man, you know who would be a sweet echo fighter? Metal Sonic.
I'd honestly rather have shadow, the lack of chaos abilities would be lame but I think popularity wise and how different he is from sonic in visuals and personality would make him the better choice.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Guess I'll do the thing too:
1. Mimikyu
2. Ashley
3. Viridi
4. Bandana Dee
5. Captain Toad

Morbi

Scavenger
Skull Kid is by no means a bad character for designing a moveset, but what makes you go that far? Sure, you could give him 4 specials and figure out something or other for standard attacks, but I don't see why he'd be considered especially compelling ,especially next to Geno, who certainly is.
There are two reasons. It is actually practically the same reason, but whatever. Skull Kid is first-party. No legal mumbo jumbo regardless of the good terms Nintendo seems to be on with Square. Furthermore, as he is first-party, more people played Majora's Mask than some jank RPG from a forgotten era. Lul. That makes him much more compelling to your average player that is like, "what is a Geno? Sounds dangerous."

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I don't think we'll get another ballot at all considering the fact that the previous one is still being mined. They even mentioned that when it was going on, that it wasn't an exhaustive list exclusive to one iteration of the game. And that's fine by me, honestly.

DLC is definitely going to be a thing, but I don't think we're gonna get at as many characters. Just a hunch based on Sakurai's "keeping your expectations low" sorta commentary during the presentation.

Smooth Criminal

blackghost

Smash Champion
of course they will do dlc. smash dlc is the equivalent of printing money. every major nintendo game has done it now. not expecting it is living in the past.

i have seen no AT footage of shadow or Skull kid that is an eyebrow raiser.

is this toggle on and off for hazards real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom