• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Troykv

Smash Master
Yeah, but last time, it was going nuts negatively. People HATED Dark Pit here and complained about Lucina and Dr mario all the time.

Now people are actively wanting direct clones. Go figure
:061:
The new term is quite charming... and now people are a bit desperate for new faces.

I would appreciate some new faces too; but I'm happy for now with the showed stuff.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Considering Daisy is an echo fighter. I'm really prepared for another more unique Mario newcomer.

And with most options out? It seems it'd be between Captain Toad, Geno, and Paper Mario.

And with those three I don't really know who it'd be.

D

Deleted member

Does anyone know what these two items are? I'm trying to compile a list of all confirmed items, Pokémon and ATs.
The former looks like that new Healing Field item shown in the video, just unactivated.
And the latter is a Bomber from the Kirby series. They walk around and go boom if they fall off of a platform.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Going off of the "Fighter of the Day" section of the Smash Ultimate Blog, it could be over two months before we see a new character. That's likely when we'll see a new Nintendo Direct, but what do they do when they run out of fighters to cover?

Also, question, but would you guys like to see a Smash exclusive Nintendo Direct right before the game releases like they had for Smash 4? I really hope that happens, because it means multiple character confirmations and more details.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Geno was heavily requested and considered by Sakurai before. Now that Cloud got in, the wheels are greased for Geno.

I kinda expect him at this point.

Troykv

Smash Master
Going off of the "Fighter of the Day" section of the Smash Ultimate Blog, it could be over two months before we see a new character. That's likely when we'll see a new Nintendo Direct, but what do they do when they run out of fighters to cover?

Also, question, but would you guys like to see a Smash exclusive Nintendo Direct right before the game releases like they had for Smash 4? I really hope that happens, because it means multiple character confirmations and more details.
Maybe some days they ended up talking about items/Assist Trophies to open the Item Section?

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
I sincerely do not expect more than five newcomers now. We already have Inkling and Ridley so I guess the last three are K. Rool or Dixie, Elma or Rex & Pyra and Simon Belmont. Perhaps a sixth on the form of a Pokemon or Captain Toad. But nothing more.
I am not counting Daisy since she is a clone.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
My take on the Top 5 Newcomer predictions: mostly third parties because first party characters are drying out to the ground at this point imo.

1. Crash Bandicoot- While I don't see him in the base game, I hope to see him as a DLC fighter, and he's one of the most iconic characters back in the day;
once a rival to Mario & Sonic; so it would suit him well.

2. Simon Belmont- The more I think about Simon after playing the first Castlevania for the first time, the more I'd would be anticipating to see him; the good ole fashion Simon Belmont and not the new incarnations; & since Snake's back, another Konami character wouldn't hurt much.

3. King K. Rool- Come on, it's long overdue. Make it happen Sakurai!

4. Rayman- Ubisoft's relationship with Nintendo is quite incredible. In case he doesn't come in, the Rabbids will definitely join in....i dunno.

5. Scorpion- I wanted Sub-Zero to be in, but Scorpion's iconic nature is too much...he's honestly the character that we will never see, but it would be fantastic; another popular fighter from an iconic gaming franchise; what could possibly go wrong.
Honorable Mention: Doomguy- I can't ever forget the king of first person shooters that is still not in Smash. It'll be glorious!!

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Alph is a costume. He's in olimar's Fighter video.
Yes he is in the video, but we don't have a confirmation of him being a costume yet. Yea I'm being petty, until he's confirmed a costume I'm thinking he's an echo fighter. Because if he's not...well Sakurai you confuse me.

Well, right now, this is what I am currently thinking about:

Not going to make a full roster at the moment due to not knowing enough information about Echo Fighters. The total number of fighters (counting Echo fighters) would make my current prediction roster 80 characters. 80 sounds like too much, but I am considering the possibility to be decent, considering the huge number of "impossible" tasks Sakurai has currently done such as bringing back all veterans, making Battlefield and FD versions of every stage, and implementing Ridley.
Really no Impa Echo fighter? Why is that?

Also don't let me talk you into it! I was one of the people who talked you out of Pokemon Trainer and you were right on it (to be fair I was talking against transformations returning for everyone, which I'm glad didn't happen).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I do find it Ironic people used to hate clones.
What are they gonna use as an excuse for their old mains getting cut? Are they gonna say Sakurai hated them or something?
Well he probably hates Waluigi but that's about it.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Geno was heavily requested and considered by Sakurai before. Now that Cloud got in, the wheels are greased for Geno.

I kinda expect him at this point.
Same, I expect him more than ever at this point. In my opinion from what we've seen and heard so far, Sakurai is definitely focusing on the ballot results this time around along with the most popular outcries he has heard from the past so if Geno is ever gonna be playable, it seems like it is now or never. I know that last part has been said before but it REALLY strikes me as the case for Smash Ultimate. Come on, doll, dance!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't know about Geno. It was a little funny how I got right on saying that they'd have to get through Cloud to get to Geno, but now it looks like they might have to go through Sora to get to him now. But if Geno gets in anyway, lots of people would be happy.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Does anyone know what these two items are? I'm trying to compile a list of all confirmed items, Pokémon and ATs.
The first item is called Healing Field. It was shown off during the direct fight before black hole, and after Solgaleo.
It functions as the name implies, if you throw it, it creates a small area where you can stand and be healed.

The second item is the Crash Bomber. It appears that if you hold it over your head for long enough like the Special Flag it'll create a large explosion that harms everybody except you/your teammates (when team attack is off).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Echo fighters is not just a term to make people swallow the concept better.

Echo fighters seems like a promise that the character will not be fleshed out in future series. Clone bloat is when clones get in a game because they do not take up many resources, but then have to return because of fan demand with more and more changes. Thus, lowering the amount of newcomers in a new game.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Yeah, but last time, it was going nuts negatively. People HATED Dark Pit here and complained about Lucina and Dr mario all the time.

Now people are actively wanting direct clones. Go figure
Now I think the issue is tamer in that with everyone being back there's less of a worry that a clone will take away from development time as padding to make the roster seem bigger than it is. By not adding to the count of the 65 we have I think this is true where it wasn't before, if that makes sense.

Echo fighters is not just a term to make people swallow the concept better.

Echo fighters seems like a promise that the character will not be fleshed out in future series. Clone bloat is when clones get in a game because they do not take up many resources, but then have to return because of fan demand with more and more changes. Thus, lowering the amount of newcomers in a new game.
yes

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I do find it Ironic people used to hate clones.
I find it kinda sad people were only so faithful to their opinion that something as hollow as a name change was enough to win people over.

Sakurai played you all like a fiddle. :p

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It's really hard to say how many we'll get, 70 is probably is the minimum imo or 7 new characters total. but I could also see them pushing it up to 75 with 12 total as well.
Elma and the Rex + Pyra suggestions for Xenoblade are pretty plausible, but there's a lack of someone in that final smash of Shulk's yknow.

It could be Reyn time. :drflip:
Or melia time, why wouldn't they add the greatest character to ever exist

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Echo fighters are a product guarantee that these fighters won't consume resources in the future.

Just look how the same people that wanted all the clones back are now desperate for new characters.
Sakurai warned not to expect many newcomers specifically because he decided to bring back every fighter.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Apparently from what I see on SmashWiki, footstools can now be teched. Not sure how this can abused (by whoever), but what do you guys think?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So what's the consensus? Is everyone expecting Simon Belmont at this point?

Also, is there any direct feed anywhere where there isn't a bunch of people talking over the gameplay? I would like to hear some of the music and would love to see if David Hayter's voice for Snake is in the game yet.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Well I still don't like clones lol, so calling them echoes didn't change anything for me...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Or melia time, why wouldn't they add the greatest character to ever exist
Or just add her and Sharla to his final smash. :4pacman: Just a joke though, Shulk already stole some moves from Reyn but it would be cool to see him as an assist using Aggro moves to boost your damage up or something.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't know about Geno. It was a little funny how I got right on saying that they'd have to get through Cloud to get to Geno, but now it looks like they might have to go through Sora to get to him now. But if Geno gets in anyway, lots of people would be happy.
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I think one will get in with the other, but they have slightly different processes to get in (Geno needs approval from Square Enix, Sora needs approval from Normura only).

Also, is there any direct feed anywhere where there isn't a bunch of people talking over the gameplay? I would like to hear some of the music and would love to see if David Hayter's voice for Snake is in the game yet.
David Hayder has confirmed he's doing the voice of Snake in this game. Do with that info what you will.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did up the following speculation roster not too long ago, but I won't be adding it onto my roster thread post until I know the fates of some of my speculated newcomers during the remaining two days of E3 coverage.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Speculation Roster.png

Confirmed characters are organized by series, followed by their number value in ascending order from the Smash Bros. website. Mii Fighters are the exception, being placed last on the roster, due to their unique customization features. Characters with a magenta border are the echo fighters, and are placed next to the fighter whom they're mimicking.

Speculated Newcomers
  • Dry Bowser (Bowser's echo fighter)
  • King K. Rool
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • Gardevoir
  • Buzzwole
  • Spring Man
  • Rayman

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Apparently from what I see on SmashWiki, footstools can now be teched. Not sure how this can abused (by whoever), but what do you guys think?
Definitely affects Greninja. I suppose it could set up for tech chase situations.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013

I don't know about the others but I'm expecting him now (and if that part of Vergeben's leak turns out false, that's fine. I believe Vergeben on this one. If my expectations for Simon crash and burn, they do.)

?????????????

Smash Master
Considering Daisy is an echo fighter. I'm really prepared for another more unique Mario newcomer.

And with most options out? It seems it'd be between Captain Toad, Geno, and Paper Mario.

And with those three I don't really know who it'd be.
It's a tough call. I feel like Captain Toad is the obvious traditional pick, with all the promotion and whatnot, while Geno is the fan-favorite pick, which might be the stronger emphasis this time.

I feel like Paper Mario is...somewhere in the middle, and because of that, might get overlooked. But that's just my gut feeling.

Iridium

Smash Hero

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/sound/index.html

For music, here you go. Also, yes, David Hayter does voice Snake.

Last edited:
Can confirm. There is gameplay

As someone who never liked footstools, this is good news for me

Still think he is pretty likely. Vergeben got a pretty good amount of stuff right.

Sidenote: what was your reaction to snake :p

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
No offence to geno fans but I'll be a little miffed if he gets in over Paper Mario or even Captain Toad, like I know he's popular but that's pretty much the only thing going for him and those 2 feel more deserving of being added at this point.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
All I know is I need a giant wall poster of that artwork with everybody on it. That would look so great on my wall.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I did up the following speculation roster not too long ago, but I won't be adding it onto my roster thread post until I know the fates of some of my speculated newcomers during the remaining two days of E3 coverage.

View attachment 148129

Confirmed characters are organized by series, followed by their number value in ascending order from the Smash Bros. website. Mii Fighters are the exception, being placed last on the roster, due to their unique customization features. Characters with a magenta border are the echo fighters, and are placed next to the fighter whom they're mimicking.

Speculated Newcomers
  • Dry Bowser (Bowser's echo fighter)
  • King K. Rool
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • Gardevoir
  • Buzzwole
  • Spring Man
  • Rayman
Everyone out here saying there's not gunna be any Pokemon newcomers and you put in 2. Bless you, you're doing the Lord's work.

Even though I reallllly don't expect Gardevoir to join the playable roster, we haven't seen them in a Pokeball right? That bodes well for you.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I expect this roster to get ****in' huge when DLC starts rolling out. Until then, I'm expecting maybe 5-6 new characters in the base roster, counting who we already have.

?????????????

Smash Master
No offence to geno fans but I'll be a little miffed if he gets in over Paper Mario or even Captain Toad, like I know he's popular but that's pretty much the only thing going for him and those 2 feel more deserving of being added at this point.
I'm finding myself caring less about who "deserves" it. As it is, I felt Waluigi "deserved" it more than Daisy, and...what about Dixie vs. K. Rool? Who "deserves" it more?

What I like about Geno is what a fun Smash character he would be. Paper Mario could be interesting in the same way as well, but...I can't say I believe he would be more exciting than Geno.

...Just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom