• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I have a new topic: With Smash speculation having a completely different ballgame, are there any aspects of speculation left that you feel are still fun to predict? Like, we got people predicting Echo fighters and people currently doing a process of elimination with newcomers as a result of Smash's roster direction/shocking Assist Trophy de-confirmations. Do you think the different direction is a complete turn-off for you as a Smash speculator?
I think you just have to think about it differently. Topics are going to change almost daily. For years we've been discussing Ridley, which a lot of people got sick of. But now that he's out of the way, we move on. The current topic might be boring to you (and me haha) but it'll shift eventually. And if there's something you want to discuss, bring it up-others may be interested too. :)

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Does anyone know how crowded it is at the Nintendo World Store in New York for Smash demos? I'm going there with my friend on Friday but we'll only be coming later so I don't know if I'll be able to play.
I think you just have to think about it differently. Topics are going to change almost daily. For years we've been discussing Ridley, which a lot of people got sick of. But now that he's out of the way, we move on. The current topic might be boring to you (and me haha) but it'll shift eventually. And if there's something you want to discuss, bring it up-others may be interested too. :)
We can spend our time discussing K. Rool

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Seeing Battlefield makes me wonder what those other platforms are in the deep background. Maybe they're previous Battlefields? :073:

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Does anyone know how crowded it is at the Nintendo World Store in New York for Smash demos? I'm going there with my friend on Friday but we'll only be coming later so I don't know if I'll be able to play.

We can spend our time discussing K. Rool
DrDHpWN.gif

Lol kidding, of course! ;)

His chances are pretty much 0 though, I think :( Ridley only got in because of the huge outcry, and I don't think K. Rool is nearly as (forgive me for saying this word) big as Ridley. He's got a big fanbase, but not nearly as loud. Based on Sakurai's treatment of K. Rool in the last game, I think he'll probably serve a similar role. Might either be in the background or as a costume. I'd personally love him though. A large character with a blunderbuss projectile? :0

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Just got to play! It feels really good, and it felt harder to land grabs, which was weird. I played Pokémon Trainer, Ice Climbers, Shiek, and Marth.

Pokémon Trainer switch outs are REALLY fast. Charizard’s side B is Flare Blitz. No more Rock Smash. Ivysaur’s tether also felt very natural.

Ice Climbers were GREAT. They were my favorite that I played. Mostly unchanged. Feels harder to separate Nana and Popo though.

Shiek is separate from Zelda— no transform for those who didn’t already know. She also has a new final smash. Sorta like a mix of Meta Knight and Greninja’s final smashes. It went by really fast. Also it only locked into one character but i don’t know if it can lock to multiple.

Marth seems unchanged. I didn’t really like him much.

I played For Glory so I didn’t see any items. The only new stage I played was Moray Towers. It was alright haha.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
,I'm surprised that people aren't fully expecting Ashley in this game. Who are some of the most popular assist trophies? Lyn, Waluigi, and Ashley. Theyy made SURE to show Lyn and Waluigi but they didn't show Ashley. Sakurai already acknowledge her popularity and might add her. I highly doubt she will be an assist trophy because if she was they would have shown her

K Rool
Dixie(Possibly as an EF)
Geno
Ashley
Simon Belmont(Because of Vergeben)

I honestly think the pool of possible Echo Characters is a lot smaller than what we might think. EF's are clones which we've always had, but in this case they're minimal effort/fewest changes possible types of clones.

Dixie Kong for example I think has a better chance of making it in as a unique character (or semi-clone at least) than getting added as an EF. She lacks a tail which means she needs a new neutral jab, and her whole thing is using her hair which I don't think Sakurai would want to exclude by making her a one-to-one Diddy clone with minor stat differences.

I actually like the idea of Metal Mario as an EF, and Octolings are probably fair game as many have brought up. Others I could see would be Ms. Pac-Man, Jeanne and Ken.
They actually took away Diddy's tail jab and turned it into a basic punch and kick. So at this point Diddy has no tail attacks. I can see Dixie Kong becoming a EF that is similar to Dark Pit. Mostly the same but with like 3-4 moves that are different(Neutral B, Up B, Dash attack)

Not saying that she should be an EF, her hair SHOULD be the highlight of her moveset, but I can see Sakurai making her a EF especially since EF have the common theme of looking "similar" to their original characters

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Just got to play! It feels really good, and it felt harder to land grabs, which was weird. I played Pokémon Trainer, Ice Climbers, Shiek, and Marth.

Pokémon Trainer switch outs are REALLY fast. Charizard’s side B is Flare Blitz. No more Rock Smash. Ivysaur’s tether also felt very natural.

Ice Climbers were GREAT. They were my favorite that I played. Mostly unchanged. Feels harder to separate Nana and Popo though.

Shiek is separate from Zelda— no transform for those who didn’t already know. She also has a new final smash. Sorta like a mix of Meta Knight and Greninja’s final smashes. It went by really fast. Also it only locked into one character but i don’t know if it can lock to multiple.

I played For Glory so I didn’t see any items. The only new stage I played was Moray Towers. It was alright haha.
Which would you prefer over Ice Climbers or Pokemon Trainer? Also, is IC's recovery bad? :p

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yo real talk, if we can get Ken as an Echo Character to Ryu I will die.

And I barely even play Street Fighter.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
It's weird that the only gen 7 Pokeball Pokemon are Bewear, Lunala, Alolan Raichu, and Solgaleo. That combined with the fact we have to see an Alola stage really makes me think they're hiding a significant portion of Pokemon's content to be revealed with a gen 7 Pokemon.
This is nitpicky but Alolan Vulpix is confirmed as well. I believe the match they were in was the one from the Invitational between the cosplaying fans.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Ah I just noticed that Toon Link's forward Smash has changed! It appears to be one of his combo finishers from the Wind Waker! That's pretty cool.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Is this real life?

I'm not dreaming?

I hope clones get to be next to their respective series this time, especially since they have the exact same numbers as their counterparts on the website. It just didn't feel right grouping them in their own section in Smash Wii U.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

How is fall speed compared to Smash 4? Hitstun? Was it actually feasible to do combos with most of the characters you tried?

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 BTW you were one of the "Original" people I remember on the early Sm4sh Speculation Thread. In fact, you might have invited me to it after talking in one of the other social zones. A bunch of the originals are gone and I miss them (Burb, Pushdustin, Vaanrose) but I'm definitely glad you're still here. (I remember some of you other old school guys too, of course!)

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 BTW you were one of the "Original" people I remember on the early Sm4sh Speculation Thread. In fact, you might have invited me to it after talking in one of the other social zones. A bunch of the originals are gone and I miss them (Burb, Pushdustin, Vaanrose) but I'm definitely glad you're still here. (I remember some of you other old school guys too, of course!)
I was around but I mainly made troll comments.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
They actually took away Diddy's tail jab and turned it into a basic punch and kick. So at this point Diddy has no tail attacks. I can see Dixie Kong becoming a EF that is similar to Dark Pit. Mostly the same but with like 3-4 moves that are different(Neutral B, Up B, Dash attack)

Not saying that she should be an EF, her hair SHOULD be the highlight of her moveset, but I can see Sakurai making her a EF especially since EF have the common theme of looking "similar" to their original characters
In that case, if there's no need to change any attack animations then I can see it as more likely now. If she does get in as an EF then they'll likely just swap out the Peanut Popgun for her Gumball Popgun among the usual stat changes and move tweaks.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
How is fall speed compared to Smash 4? Hitstun? Was it actually feasible to do combos with most of the characters you tried?
I honestly didn’t really notice. Thinking back I think fall speed feels a little faster/heavier? Hi Tatum felt the same I believe but I honestly wasn’t paying attention in the moment. Ice Climbers and Sheik were easy to get combos, I struggled with Marth. Ivysaur was better for powerful knockback. I didn’t really touch Charizard and Squirtle much.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I honestly didn’t really notice. Thinking back I think fall speed feels a little faster/heavier? Hi Tatum felt the same I believe but I honestly wasn’t paying attention in the moment. Ice Climbers and Sheik were easy to get combos, I struggled with Marth. Ivysaur was better for powerful knockback. I didn’t really touch Charizard and Squirtle much.
Did you happen to play on Green Hill zone at all? If so who was in the background of the stage?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Not that I'm aware of

He looks largely unchanged, and different from Tink in that Tink has new smashes it looks like.
Man, maybe it's just me, but Young Link's jab is immensely satisfying to look at. It's just great.
I remember that during one of the matches, the players played on Frigate Orpheon, but it never flipped over like it's supposed to. I think it was the Snake vs Sheik match.
At the time, I thought it was weird, but now it makes sense.

Also, we know that we have Battlefield, FD, Yoshi's Story Melee, Town and City and Lylat Cruise, but with the addition of this, what other stages do you think could end up being legal?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
If we go by Dark Pit and Lucina, echo fighters have the exact same proportions, movement and physics of their base characters, but can have some moveset differences. This explains why Dr. Mario, Young Link, etc. are not considered echoes. So along with Daisy, characters like Impa (Sheik), Birdo (Yoshi), Dry Bowser (Bowser), or even Shadow (Sonic), Evil Ryu (Ryu), or Ken (Ryu) could possibly work as echoes, but someone like Waluigi would have to be a separate character than Luigi or Wario just because he's so tall and lanky.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I have a new topic: With Smash speculation having a completely different ballgame, are there any aspects of speculation left that you feel are still fun to predict? Like, we got people predicting Echo fighters and people currently doing a process of elimination with newcomers as a result of Smash's roster direction/shocking Assist Trophy de-confirmations. Do you think the different direction is a complete turn-off for you as a Smash speculator?
Honestly I don't see the difference. There are still more newcomers to come. It might not be 10-12 more but there's still speculation to be had. I'm also honestly very interested in echo speculation. Seems hard to predict so should be fun to talk about. Right now the only one I feel ok to lock is a SS Impa but that's because I really want to spread the Zelda series representation and I always felt Smash 4 did SS dirty.

Ok, I'm gunna make a bold prediction. Alph is an Echo Fighter, he just hasn't yet been announced as one.

Basically it comes down to idk why they wouldn't make him one and I don't know why they wouldn't have announced him as one if he is. But I'm going to say he is (honestly just needed to fill a quota for my next prediction roster lol I'll probably be wrong).

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone an explanation on why Snake's icon has change to this ?

Capture d’écran 2018-06-13 à 15.14.00.png

It may be because he's a third party or something with a contract with Konami, but I don't get exactly why they didn't keep the Foxlike Brawl icon

Someone has an idea ?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Man, maybe it's just me, but Young Link's jab is immensely satisfying to look at. It's just great.

I remember that during one of the matches, the players played on Frigate Orpheon, but it never flipped over like it's supposed to. I think it was the Snake vs Sheik match.
At the time, I thought it was weird, but now it makes sense.

Also, we know that we have Battlefield, FD, Yoshi's Story Melee, Town and City and Lylat Cruise, but with the addition of this, what other stages do you think could end up being legal?
Ferox, Tortimier, Wily, Magicant, and the Pokémon Stadiums most likely. Skyworld and Prism Tower too depending on how they remove hazards.

Also, We know Yoshi's Island Brawl is back too.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
View attachment 148124
Lol kidding, of course! ;)

His chances are pretty much 0 though, I think :( Ridley only got in because of the huge outcry, and I don't think K. Rool is nearly as (forgive me for saying this word) big as Ridley. He's got a big fanbase, but not nearly as loud. Based on Sakurai's treatment of K. Rool in the last game, I think he'll probably serve a similar role. Might either be in the background or as a costume. I'd personally love him though. A large character with a blunderbuss projectile? :0
You do realize king k rool is more requested than Ridley right?

Because he's the most wanted in USA and Japan have you seen all of those fan polls? King k rool won almost all of them and there is japan focused polls on this he wins those as well

Besides I heard something on they are picking newcomers based off how we voted on that that boat is looking more than good on float so logically king k rool is within the top ten on that.

D

Deleted member

Has anyone an explanation on why Snake's icon has change to this ?

View attachment 148127

It may be because he's a third party or something with a contract with Konami, but I don't get exactly why they didn't keep the Foxlike Brawl icon

Someone has an idea ?
I think it's been said before, but it's likely due to the old symbol being used for the logo of Kojima Productions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom