• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I am going with 5 newcomers and 3 echoes.

K. Rool - If we assume he is as popular as he is online, it would be odd to ignore him.

Belmont - Vergeben seems to have a solid source for this and we got Bomberman as an assist. I believe it enough.

Chorus Kids - if Sakurai is revisting old ideas, why not?

Elma - the toy and Xenoblade has done well recently. Move set potential unlimited.

Bandana Dee - got most the focus from the Kirby fanbase. I see it as a good possibility.

Echoes: Dixie, Chrom, and Impa. I heavily disagree with Dixie being one but it might turn out that way.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I think Echo fighters are meant to share a slot with the character they're clones of while still playing slightly differently. I don't see the point to give them a new distinction otherwise.
I think it might be purely a marketing thing, so that people a) know these characters are made of directly recycled animations and b) know that Sakurai isn't just trying to inflate the roster and pretend they're that different.

Troykv

Smash Master
OT Update is coming so soon. Also look like we might get daily update after all! :D
OT? What is a OT?

Hard to say; a lot of my retro predictions are assist trophies instead, but if I had to guess...

1) K. Rool - he's pretty popular worldwide
2) Elma - alternatively, I could see Rex and Pyra as DLC further down the line
3) Impa - with Midna and Ghirahim confirmed as assist trophies, I figure that Impa's a good choice for a new Zelda character (alternatively, Skull Kid)
4) Bandanna Waddle Dee - he's pretty much become the fourth core character of Kirby at this point
5) Rayman - I figure he's got the best chances of any third party, between Mario + Rabbids, Rayman's trophy in Smash 4, etc.

I could also see Agent 8/Octoling from Splatoon making it in as an Echo character; I can't imagine that they would add this specific designation just to label Lucina and Dark Pit and add a single character (Daisy) who fits that criteria. I could see Rex and Pyra, as well as someone from ARMS (Spring Man? Ribbon Girl?) being released as DLC; not sure if they're too new to make it into the base game.
Echo Octoling is something perfectly possible.

Rex and Pyra I feel are two new for the project plan; and more because this game kind of trys to focus in things with more legacy.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I just realized something. Pika's nair got changed to be kind of like Mewtwo's, so does that mean Pichu is no longer a perfect copy of his animations?
Also it looked like both of them have a lot more electricity on their attacks than they used to. At one point it looked like even Pichu's down tilt shocked.
At the very least Pichu is different enough from Pikachu to not be considered an echo...which is pretty crazy.

I'm pretty sure it was sidetilt that stunned but Pichu has a TILT that STUNS. Holy crap.

D

Deleted member

I think it might be purely a marketing thing, so that people a) know these characters are made of directly recycled animations and b) know that Sakurai isn't just trying to inflate the roster and pretend they're that different.
Eh I guess but I like my idea much better

Originality

Smash Journeyman
An Echo Fighter option that no one has talked about:

Notably, we have yet to see the Metal Box item (to my knowledge; PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong), nor any pictures of characters being metal (again, correct me if I'm wrong).
Instead, we have a picture of a character being gold like on the Golden Plains stage of Smash 3DS like this....

....on a stage that isn't Golden Plains.

So is being gold in place of being metal now?
And if so, is Metal Mario a possible Echo?
Maybe the new metal box item changes color based on your character, I could see us getting Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach that way

?????????????

Smash Master
I was just thinking...have we actually SEEN much of Young Link yet?

Like...we don't really know what he does, do we?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Metal Mario, who made his Smash debut as an non-playable boss in the original game....

.....and has since become a separate entity within the Mario games as a rival to Mario.

Notably, we have yet to see the Metal Box item (to my knowledge; PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong), nor any pictures of characters being metal (again, correct me if I'm wrong).
Instead, we have a picture of a character being gold like on the Golden Plains stage of Smash 3DS like this....

I'd honestly be down with this.

Don't even care if we now have three Marios tbh, Metal Mario's cool.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
At the very least Pichu is different enough from Pikachu to not be considered an echo...which is pretty crazy.

I'm pretty sure it was sidetilt that stunned but Pichu has a TILT that STUNS. Holy crap.
Pichu viable PLEASE lmao.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

Metal Mario, who made his Smash debut as an non-playable boss in the original game....

.....and has since become a separate entity within the Mario games as a rival to Mario.

As much as I would like Metal Mario for how janky he would be, we did see a metal box at one point. I don't remember when exactly, but it was before the cosplay matches and no one hit it.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Oh man, If a mother character actually gets in smash then I will officially have powers, because this year I played and beat for the first time 4 metroid games, and ridley got it, and I also played Earthbound and Mother 3.
And that's all the Nintendo franchises I played and beat for the first time this year.
I really want to replay Earthbound ... I really should. °>°

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
My take on the Top 5 Newcomer predictions: mostly third parties because first party characters are drying out to the ground at this point imo.

1. Crash Bandicoot- While I don't see him in the base game, I hope to see him as a DLC fighter, and he's one of the most iconic characters back in the day;
once a rival to Mario & Sonic; so it would suit him well.

2. Simon Belmont- The more I think about Simon after playing the first Castlevania for the first time, the more I'd would be anticipating to see him; the good ole fashion Simon Belmont and not the new incarnations; & since Snake's back, another Konami character wouldn't hurt much.

3. King K. Rool- Come on, it's long overdue. Make it happen Sakurai!

4. Rayman- Ubisoft's relationship with Nintendo is quite incredible. In case he doesn't come in, the Rabbids will definitely join in....i dunno.

5. Scorpion- I wanted Sub-Zero to be in, but Scorpion's iconic nature is too much...he's honestly the character that we will never see, but it would be fantastic; another popular fighter from an iconic gaming franchise; what could possibly go wrong.

Last edited:
Soooooooooooo...

We don't know if he uses the masks or not yet...

With Pokemon Trainer back, maybe...?
I imagine that would have been shown by now since that would be such a big deal.

It's probably just a re-tread of the melee appearances, maybe one or two different new moves, and a new final smash/taunts for what he missed out on
:061:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Louie (although very unlikely considering Alph did not get it)
This is the only thing that disappoints me about Echo Fighters. It would have been nice to finally have a second Pikmin character and they already had the model for Alph… and they kept him as an alternate costume instead of making him an Echo Fighter like they did with Daisy.

No. Dixie has her hair. I want her to be able to spin and float with her hair. She deserves to be more than just Diddy's Echo Fighter.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Anyone know where to find footage of Green Hill Zone? I could've sworn that was playable in the demo. I want to know what characters appear in the background of the stage so we have a better idea of shadow's chances.

?????????????

Smash Master
WAIT, nevermind. Just saw the bombs.

Maybe they could still do other references, though. The Fire Arrows are nice, but I'd like to see some notable distinctions from Toon Link. Link looks different enough from Toon Link now to really satisfy me.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm planning on doing my next video on Top 5 Newcomers for base game, which is why I wanted to know about confirmed ATs and Pokeballs. We know we won't get MANY newcomers at launch, but I think we'll still see a few more. Mine are:

1.) King K. Rool
2.) Simon Belmont
3.) Elma
4.) Erdrick
5.) Rhythm Heaven

I also considered Rex of course, but I REALLY want Elma and I thought Rex might fit better as DLC (depending on development choices and such). I also REALLY want Spring Man, but same thing.

Who are yours?
1 - King K. Rool
2 - Geno
3 - Giegue/ Giygas
4 - Impa
5 - Viridi

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have a new topic: With Smash speculation having a completely different ballgame, are there any aspects of speculation left that you feel are still fun to predict? Like, we got people predicting Echo fighters and people currently doing a process of elimination with newcomers as a result of Smash's roster direction/shocking Assist Trophy de-confirmations. Do you think the different direction is a complete turn-off for you as a Smash speculator?

meowth_thats_wrong

Smash Cadet

I'm positive I saw a metal box in gameplay footage somewhere already. I think in today's treehouse?

D

Deleted member

I know I'll probably regret this but whats with the character hate? Genuine question.
I've had a pretty bad encounter with a Mimikyu supporter that completely soured me on the Pokemon, and I wasn't fond of it to begin with.
Direct competition with my most wanted character is also a factor, albeit a small one.

Browny

Smash Hater
I wanted Decidueye but I think with Ivysaur that pretty much cans that possibility :(

Still hanging out for Isaac and King K.Rool though after Midna, Waluigi and Krystal deconfirmed.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Maybe the new metal box item changes color based on your character, I could see us getting Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach that way

Metal Box showed up in the Treehouse, Inkling went Metal.

I forget which one it was exactly, but I know it happened, and they specifically mentioned it.

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
WAIT, nevermind. Just saw the bombs.

Maybe they could still do other references, though. The Fire Arrows are nice, but I'd like to see some notable distinctions from Toon Link. Link looks different enough from Toon Link now to really satisfy me.
Toon Link has the new Smashes to separate him from Young Link and Link. Also some different properties on stuff like their dairs. I do hope Young Link gets his MM Hookshot rather than the OoT, it's hard to see which it is in the video

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
EDIT - not a helpful message, up a few posts is Young Link's character trailer

DOUBLE EDIT - this forum moves fast

instead, have nothing

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
It's pretty clear that from the three we know, Echo characters aren't just clones, they're similar enough that they could almost be alternate costumes. So Gardevoir do not work as a Zelda Echo
Dry Bowser (Bowser) not quite popular enough for me to find likely.
Funky Kong (Donkey Kong) Weird without surfboard, but body shape works out
Impa (Sheik) Works Well
Dark Samus (Samus) Don't uses her potential, but works pretty well
Chrom (Ike) Change eruption to something electric and it should work
Ninten (Ness) they're similar characters to my Knowledge.
Isabelle (Villager) plausible I think
Octoling (Splatoon)
Not Likely in my opinion
Dixie (Diddy Kong) Unless they removed it tail attack makes this awkward.
Raichu (Pikachu) Body too Different
Medusa (Palutena) Palutena's wing attacks makes this weird

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom